• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Painwheel general discussion AKA GET OUT OF MY THREAD

Take advantage of the fact people think you're going to do a high by doing cr.lk cr.mk cr.hk and use up your OTG to confirm off of that sweep.
Do cr.lk FC2 j.lk for super fast high/low.
Do cr.lk FC2 j.lp and throw.
PW has great mixup, thats never been a problem of hers :^p

Edit: I can't read today. disregard half of this post

You can OTG off of sweeps? Don't sweeps give invuln?

URP not otg. you can catch them before they hit the ground x_x.

... I'm not trying to be a dick. Just trying to not let bad rumors get started... And no this isn't possible if the opponent techs. They are fully invincible after getting hit by any sweep in the game save for 3 special occasions:

After having already been knocked down, a sweep can hit them and allow for further combos... Only when used as an otg though.

When a fully charged painwheel hatred guard sweep connects.

When the first hit only of fortunes sweep connects.

Other than that sweeps can't be combod off of that I know of unless the opponent doesn't tech in time and painwheels uncharged sweep is no exception, unless this has changed in PC version which I doubt it has cause that would be a HUGE buff.

nawp i was wrong. damned netplayers not teching and making me think impossible things are possible...

Also why would you be a dick for correcting someone when they're wrong about something like this?

PS. doing that mixup i posted but with a charged sweep is still good :^)
Bait pushblocks and hit them with an unexpected low

Last edited:
I'm just used to people not liking it when I correct them. Or just not liking to be corrected in general.

I'll definitely have to use that charged sweep, I've always wanted to try and use it but I just always get all add and focus on practicing something else.

Speaking of sweep, how often do you guys use that in the neutral? I feel like its a solid move, what with its charge, range, and knockdown capabilities, not to mention being able to flight cancel it.

Speaking of sweep, how often do you guys use that in the neutral? I feel like its a solid move, what with its charge, range, and knockdown capabilities, not to mention being able to flight cancel it.

I think its ass personally. And I'll probably keep that opinion till shown solid evidence to the contrary. :)

My problem with it is that its only redeeming features as far as I'm concerned is its damage, it hits low, and it is low profile and it has a quick armor startup. None of which are good neutral game features save for its armor, but it's active hitbox is so bad, the armor is negligible.

If I had to rate painwheels ground normals it would be dead last.

^^^^^^^

I still think its a decent move though. I throw it out and it hits people who mistime their airdashes or if Cerebella is trying to jump in and also mistime it. IMO, it has no respect. Then again, neither does ANY of her ground normals.

Squigly would like to have a word with you

Y'all are forgetting that cr.lk has great range and st.hp can be used in a bajillion ways :^P

I haven't tested anything, but I've been having sucess against Parasouls by using Buer Overdrive (her level 3) when the match is almost over. It seems to counter both her jump ins and her projectiles. It's also easy to combo after. Even with my mediocre combo skills, I get more than half life off it.

More importantly, nobody remembers it exists, so it almost always works! I use it on Squiggly too.

Er.... You have no low attacks in that first paragraph.

Wat. cr.lp isn't low? Holy shit I'm dumb. I've been running cr.lk though, so whatever!

Also, yes I messed up when I said no hitconfirms...like what I said at the top of that paragraph, I MEANT bad at converting from ASSIST hitconfirms. Ie running after a successful neutral game updo/pillar/Bomber and getting the otg into full combo. I mean sure she can of course get those combos from certain positions but of all the cast she has one of the hardest times cause of the combination of her slow cr.lk, and slow dash startup. She can use lk buer to otg and it gets a bit better as far as successful conversions go, but she has to generally plan ahead better as well.

Aaah, I run solo Painwheel, so this isn't really relevant to me :P

As far as high /low game she really doesn't have one offline that is any good. fly df +j.lk/lp is easy to react to offline. Doing flight cancel into cr.lk is also easy to react to... Her cr.lk is 11 frame startup and the slowest cr.lk in the game.

I see, this explains why I get a lot more mileage out of crossups as opposed to high/low. That being said, I don't think it's that bad. I think it's just worse than I thought it was. 11 frames isn't terrible. Although it isn't great. :\

it isn't that her high/low game can never work... It's that it takes a lot of mind games and conditioning to apply against anyone that has a good amount of anti painwheel experience...which weakens the tactic considerably and makes it basically useless as a baseline strat. Very useful when not relied upon, but there are on,y so many attacks in the game... We have to rely on some things

I'll try putting more throws in my game :P

Last edited:
Reactions: Dime
Speaking if highs pw has a decent fuzzy with instant j.lk fly df+j.lk. get them to block an assist standing or catch them not pushblocking jumpins and you can use this on everyone. On double and PS you can use j.mk.

Reactions: Dime
Speaking if highs pw has a decent fuzzy with instant j.lk fly df+j.lk. get them to block an assist standing or catch them not pushblocking jumpins and you can use this on everyone. On double and PS you can use j.mk.

This is a good mixup. I like this mixup. I do it a lot. If you get in midscreen you can also be a dick and do j.lk -> fly -> crossover jmk/hk.

This is a good mixup. I like this mixup. I do it a lot. If you get in midscreen you can also be a dick and do j.lk -> fly -> crossover jmk/hk.

I need to practice my crossover, more. Every time I do it, I end up on the other side of them, having just barely missed, waiting to be opened up on.

Ee
I need to practice my crossover, more. Every time I do it, I end up on the other side of them, having just barely missed, waiting to be opened up on.

...or you could just throw them you throwy mcthrowerton. ._.

Reactions: Spencer

Yeah, the only reason why I haven't put it into my game already is cause my opponents love to pushblock my jumpins and because I can't figure out something safe to do if the j.lk hits... Hk buer us about all I can think of, but if it's blocked.... Ew.

I guess the point is to not use it so much that it gets blocked.

Yeah, the only reason why I haven't put it into my game already is cause my opponents love to pushblock my jumpins and because I can't figure out something safe to do if the j.lk hits... Hk buer us about all I can think of, but if it's blocked.... Ew.

I guess the point is to not use it so much that it gets blocked.

Can't you just fly -> df + j.lk to combo?

Can't you just fly -> df + j.lk to combo?
Perhaps with good timing... Tbqh I haven't tried because I opened my mouth and got painwheels fly to fly taken out...
Actually... What am I thinking? Lol, the fuzzy doesn't occur from a fly so my previous point is irrelevant.... Lol, I'm really stupid sometimes.

Yes view, that most likely will work and be a great way to take advantage of the fuzzy.

:)

-edit

Konkrete mentioned it in his original post... I guess I didn't read it thoroughly though.. Sorry.

Age has found out that fuzzy guards as they are traditionally known, doesn't work in training mode... Is this just a training mode thing or does it apply to real matches. I tried to fuzzy characters that were crouch blocking filias hk hairball in training mode and they all ducked under my painwheel j.lk perfectly... So what gives?

Fuzzy Guard as they are traditionally known do work in training mode
How the heck are you trying to fuzzy someone that is crouch blocking Filia Hairball?
I have no idea what you're on about :\

That is different from the fuzzies I know of... But I guess I was wrong about them.

Yeah, fuzzy guard as I understand it is have the block standing, and while they are still in blockstun (and thus don't change from standing animation to crouching regardless of stick position), you instant overhead them. PW's fuzzy is especially good since you don't need an assist to combo from it. It's not iad j.lk but it's still pretty good.

I've been liking the synergy of calling painwheels mp stinger and peacocks George at the airshow assist at the same time... Sets up a get in behind george, or a further keepaway via flight cancel jump back lvl3 hp stinger. Basically good against updo/pillar turtles especially if pw has her own updo or pillar as well at anchor. And peacock works well with both those assists.

Sniper shot dhc install as a reaction to a jump in works kind of well. Depending on the normal they use and how high up they are, pw comes out and blocks it, and sniper shot may hit them.

Hey guys, came up with something else using Peacock/Painwheel.

Edit: Gave it a better followup

Last edited:

I want to make that Painwheel followup a bit better as I want to try to get the most out of the ability to use my favorite move again. Probably just some J.Normal into HK buer loops will suffice for the time I'm in hatred.

alpha countering your own peacock bomb

what kind of a mad genius are you

I dont know how much time you have left on the stagger, but if you mash the stick you can get out early and anyone who knows this can probably block it. Thats a pretty cool setup though even if you can mash out.

I dont know how much time you have left on the stagger, but if you mash the stick you can get out early and anyone who knows this can probably block it. Thats a pretty cool setup though even if you can mash out.

I think I might be able to make it unshakable if I just delay my hits with Peacock as much as I can. But yeah, it looks very shakable at this point.

Edit: Gave it a better followup
That uses way too much meter to be viable imo. You might as well just dhc off the bomb into HI

edit: it certainly does look cool though

That uses way too much meter to be viable imo. You might as well just dhc off the bomb into HI

edit: it certainly does look cool though

The point wasn't to be viable, it was just to use old Pinion Dash in a combo because I miss it.

The point wasn't to be viable, it was just to use old Pinion Dash in a combo because I miss it.

I hated it. I have no idea how or why, but when I was learning my first combo I kept going into it by accident which left me in a world of hurt and pain.

Good riddance!

I hated it. I have no idea how or why, but when I was learning my first combo I kept going into it by accident which left me in a world of hurt and pain.

Good riddance!

What you dont know though is that pinion secretly elevated painwheel up in tiers.

Painwheel could do:

Cr.lk,cr.mk, xx pinion plus hk hairball

That was unpushblockable except in the rare case that someone pushblocked the cr.lk.
On block any other pushblock did basically nothing and guaranteed painwheel a mixup via high/low/throw/crossup.

On hit it confirmed into dash j.mp > full combo. (Easily)
So basically it was autopilot easy mode pressure... Where the only skill was getting off a cr.lk unassisted. And strong autopilot shot is usually what top tiers are made of in fighting games.

Also, doing pinion plus assist is super easy cause it was just dd + punch and kick.. So you couldnt really fuck it up.
The thing about pinion was that it was the only move that painwheel had that moved forward and also had a hitbox on it..
Those types of moves are very very good in assist games because of the ability for assists to cover either their startup or recovery.

So yeah, painwheel got one of her most broken tools taken away from her, and that still pisses me off. A character that is midtier if not worse got nerfed... Never a good look in my eyes.

Also, if you knew your opponent would be on the ground, raw pinion plus assist instead of dashing in was soooo good. Pinion didnt have the shit startup that painwheels dash had... So it made her far quicker in the neutral.

I really miss it man, and I'm still pissed... I could repeat that forever and not be satisfied.

Oh yeah, i almost forgot:

Simply dashing in and using raw pinion was super good as well (with hairball covering it) because it was faster startup than painwheels cr.lk and because it had a gigantic hitbox and tiny hurtbox it had stupid priority plus it hit airborn opponents. And if that isnt all, it could be used after a blocked jumpin j.mp whether the j.mp was pushblocked or not... It covered so much distance that it would negate pushblocks...

So i mean... That move was SUPER GOOD. And i think im the only one that had put 2 and 2 together at the time...

I think mike may have discovered this and thought it best to just remove the move... Other than that i cant fathom why he took it out... Calling it "useless" of all things... Lol.

Is there a reason why I cannot connect Buer Thresher (QCF HK) on Squigly and Band? I can understand Band seeing he is not complete yet but squigly is too high every time i do Standing MP.

Thresher is her Airsuper.
QCF-HK is just H.BuerReaper

Neither of the two makes much sense to attempt in the first place after an s.MP, so I'm not sure what exactly we're talking about here

Thresher is her Airsuper.
QCF-HK is just H.BuerReaper

Neither of the two makes much sense to attempt in the first place after an s.MP, so I'm not sure what exactly we're talking about here

Oh woops. sorry. i meant buerreaper. i cannot connect that after s.mp because they float too high. everybody else works just fine. is there a reason for this?

I don't know about big band, must be incomplete hitboxes. Squigly is very light and small, so some things don't work on her. For consistency, c.hp will always connect to hk buer

Last edited:
I don't know about big band, must be incomplete hitboxes. Squigly is very light and small, so something don't work on her. For consistency, c.hp will always connect to kh buer

Yeah, Squigs has some super weird hit boxes. I had to change my bnb because of her. the chain, lk.buer>xfly>j.lp>.mp will whiff on mp about 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 times. Drove me freaking insane as the recovery on mp is massive relative to the starter of the combo you're about to eat.

Hurt boxes instead of hitboxes?

Last edited: