• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Painwheel MDE Combo Thread (Page 3 Onwards)

Whats the corner combo now?

TL;DR:
lie-down-try-not-to-cry-cry-a-lot.jpg

I use

If they're playing double, they can do the sLP sLK cMP 6HKx4 + Bomber H-Nails (Charged) Deathcrawl ender too.

Reactions: keninblack
This is biggest corner I've found. Huge room for improvement (j.MK at the end is baaaad)

Super Upgrade Forum Post Combo - 8706 D-d-d-damage

cr.LK, cr.MK, cr.HP xx HK.Buer xx Fly >
Air.LK.Buer >
OTG s.HP xx LK.Buer xx Fly >
j.LK >
s.MK(4) xx HK.Buer xx Fly >
j.HP(4) >
s.LK, s.MK xx HK.Buer xx Fly >
9j.MK >
s.LP,s.LK,s.MK,s.HP xx LK.Buer xx Deathcraaaaawl.

Otherwise, use the Carry route. Does a bit over 8.5k, but requires the j.LP > s.HP link. The s.HP link is the key to squeezing out extra damage. You can sub the first s.HP for cr.MK, and swap the s.MK later on with cr.MP, and swap the s.MP with s.HK for a tiny drop in damage on some characters.

cr.LK,cr.MK,s.HP xx LK.Buer Fly >
3j.LP >
s.HP xx LK.Buer >
6j.LK >
s.MP >
Air.LK.Buer xx Fly >
8j.MP xx Air.LK.Buer >
OTG s.MK xx HK.Buer xx Fly >
j.HP(4) >
Restand s.LP,s.LK,cr.MP,f.HK(x4) xx LK.Buer xx Deathcrawl

Swap the j.HP for j.HK if you're dealing with heavies. Swap the ender with s.LP,s.LK,s.MK,s.HP if you're not dealing with people you can catch Buer with.

Also also. This route works FOREVER away from the corner (We back up to 50%). I made a CH j.HP setup that practically carries fullscreen.

Last edited:
TL;DR:
If they're playing double, they can do the sLP sLK cMP 6HKx4 + Bomber H-Nails (Charged) Deathcrawl ender too.
Turns out that adds like... a whole 10 damage over Buer.

Best damage comes from assist in opening string. H Brass causes the combo to do hella damage.

Lol lnl gave me 2k more damage midscreen

this looks too nice to not be shared

c.lk, c.mk, s.hp, lk buer, fly,
9j.lk, mk buer+copter, hk buer, fly,
8j.hk,
s.mk, hk buer, fly,
8j.mk,
s.lk, lk buer, fly,
9j.lp, lk buer,
s.lp, s.lk, s.mk, s.hp, lk buer, deathcrawl

out of curiosity guys whats your combo's damage off throw???

out of curiosity guys whats your combo's damage off throw???

7.1k to 7.2k without assist when you're halfway to stage edge.
7.4 to 7.5k with assist.

Corner specific is about the same, I think.

damn I feel scrubtacular I do 2v2 off throw only 5k my regular bnb only does 7k midscreen no assist

Do anyone know how to do an light, medium, heavy combo for Painwheel?

The only combo I know: s.LP, s.LK, s.MP inair j.LP, j.LK, j.mk, qcf.LP or MP

Do anyone know how to do an light, medium, heavy combo for Painwheel?

The only combo I know: s.LP, s.LK, s.MP inair j.LP, j.LK, j.mk, qcf.LP or MP

You can use her Flight mode to extend combos. All special-cancellable moves can cancel into Flight, along with some special moves and Blockbusters.

This means you can do:

cr.LP,cr.LK,cr.MK,s.HP xx Fly > 3j.LK > cr.LK,cr.MK,s.HP xx Whatever

If you don't want to use Fly combos:

cr.LP,cr.LK,cr.MK,s.HP xx QCF.LP > Dash > s.MP > j.MP(4),j.HP(3),j.HK > s.LP,s.LK,cr.MP,s.HP xx LK.Buer xx Deathcrawl

You should get used to flying out of blocked strings, so that you can go for an overhead, or make some space.

Reactions: droopyturtle
Stupid improvement to Krack's combo:

c.lk, c.mk, c.hp, H buer, fly
air L buer,
otg L buer, fly,
6j.lk, s.mk, H buer, fly,
j.hp,
s.lk, s.mk, H buer, fly,
9j.mk, j.hp,
s.lp, s.lk, s.mk, s.hp, L buer, Deathcrawl

The real improvement is the fact that you don't need that super hard s.hp otg anymore

How do you guys do so much damage? (O_O) I have a combo fitted, but it only does 5.7k midscreen.

cLP, cLK, cMP, 6HK, fly,
6jHK otg,
cMP, sHP, L buer, fly,
6jLK,
cLK, cMP, sHP, L buer, fly
6jLP,
cLP, cMP, sHP, L buer, Deathcrawl

I guess I could throw a cLK into that last string to add a little more damage, but it won't do that much. Extensions are probably possible, but my Drama is topped out by the time this thing is over. You guys seem like you're a lot more proficient at this; could you tell me where I could optimize this combo?

inb4 it's everything... -_-

How do you guys do so much damage? (O_O) I have a combo fitted, but it only does 5.7k midscreen.

cLP, cLK, cMP, 6HK, fly,
6jHK otg,
cMP, sHP, L buer, fly,
6jLK,
cLK, cMP, sHP, L buer, fly
6jLP,
cLP, cMP, sHP, L buer, Deathcrawl

I guess I could throw a cLK into that last string to add a little more damage, but it won't do that much. Extensions are probably possible, but my Drama is topped out by the time this thing is over. You guys seem like you're a lot more proficient at this; could you tell me where I could optimize this combo?

inb4 it's everything... -_-
Always avoid multi-hitting moves in the beggining of combos, they scale your combo really badly and basically all your damage goes away. Try starting your combos with c.lk, c.mk, s.hp, then either go into fly or do L buer into fly, the key to damage in combos is to put your most damaging moves in the beginning, after 14 hits or so, after you hit full scaling, THEN you want as many multi-hitting attacks as you can (and buers cause theyre awesome).

Reactions: bubbaking
Ahhh, I see! In that case, I guess I'll switch 6HK with one of those later sHPs and replace all the early cMPs with cMKs. Thanks a lot for the advice! :D

Edit: Hmmm, guess I should also switch that jHK otg with a single hit move, maybe jMK...

If you were to take your starting string (the one that launches) and put that after your second s.hp, you'd have a pretty standard combo and your damage would be a lot better.

air L buer,
otg L buer, fly,
j.hp,
s.lk, s.mk, H buer, fly,
9j.mk, j.hp,

The real improvement is the fact that you don't need that super hard s.hp otg anymore
thanks dude 2v3 it does 11k no dhc lol

How do you guys do so much damage? (O_O)

When looking at moves to fill your combo with, look at how much Drama they create, and how much damage they do overall. Also look at how much scaling is in effect when they're used, because some moves do a lot of damage when there's no scaling, but are a complete waste of Drama once scaling is in full effect. s.HP and cr.HP are great examples of this. They do anywhere around the full 900-950 at the start of a combo, but once you're at or near max scaling, they're doing less than 200 damage (over the alternative... BUER) for 30 Drama. Compare this to j.MP, which uses 20 Drama and does far more damage. A combo full of j.MPs is going to do more damage than a combo of s.HPs

You wouldn't want to use j.MP at the start of the combo, however, because it eats up 4 hits of scaling, and when building longer, better combos, you need to think about your extensions. Painwheel can fly and do an attack to create an extension, while some characters can air dash, and some characters can launch. Due to it's startup, it's really hard to combo into j.MP repeatedly. Once you chain into it after Stage 2, generally, you're not going to land another one.

If you browse this thread, you'll see that a lot of the more damaging combos drop HPs entirely in favour of chains that consist solely of s.MK, cr.MP or a light attack into either of those. That's because, just like j.MP, those attacks are very efficient when you compare their Damage to Drama ratio.

Heavy attacks are not entirely useless, however. Damage scaling happens all the way up to Hit 16. After 16 hits, you're at maximum scaling. This means you want to fit the big beefy moves, as early on as possible, and preferably the Drama-heavy attacks in Stage 2 (Your first ground string). A s.HP is a single hit, which means it does almost nothing to scaling, and it will be free to use in your opening ground string. Many top damage combos use s.HP or cr.HP twice, earlier on in the combo, because these expensive attacks still play very nicely with damage scaling if you're before Hit 16. Also, current PW midscreen max-damage relies on an LK.Buer xx Fly > 3j.LP > s.HP link, because she lacks Drama/Damage efficient extensions without two-flight cancels after Buer (A recent change that shackled her damage back down to reasonable ranges).

Also, I should note that Buers, Throws and L.Stinger force you to Hit 8 for the purposes of damage scaling. This means using them early can ruin your combo.

It should be extra noted that Buer does SO MUCH DAMAGE that it wins out over any other move in PW's arsenal for the purposes of combo building. If you're past Hit 4 or so of scaling, BUER IS ALWAYS BETTER. There will never be a better move. It uses 20 Drama and does 385(IIRC) at max scaling. Compare this to s.HP's 100-ish for 30 Drama. The fact that you can fly out of it makes it extension friendly too. So much combos from it, which means you can do a lot to keep your combo IPS/Drama friendly. Buer even uses up 2 Hits for scaling, and it's still better. The damage is awesome.

Best moves at max scaling:

Buers
Fully Charged H or M Stinger (Requires assist extension)
j.MP,s.MK,cr.MP
f.HK
j.HP
j.HK
s.HK

Last edited:
@Krackatoa

You've written something similar to that before. You might make your own thread (or I can put it in the guide when I finish that sometime in 2020). It is super helpful information and always eventually gets buried.

air L buer,
otg L buer, fly,
j.hp,
s.lk, s.mk, H buer, fly,
9j.mk, j.hp,

Can you get this to work on Double?

I can land it with less than 20 damage less by just using j.HK instead of j.HP after that HP buer. The OTG LK buer is haaaard to get consistently though.

EDIT: Found a way that makes it waaaaay easier for me might help others.

After HK buer, do a quick j.LK kara cancelled into LK buer.

The reason this works is that falling speed seems to be quicker than flying down. Unfly probably works here too.

To explain it better I'll write out my inputs.

2LK 2MK 2HP xx 236 HK xx 214 K
2LK ~ 36LK
236 LK xx 214 K

Last edited:
I do either that or do the motion for buer a bit slow to fly down a bit, but I did't have too much of a hard time landing it on double tho...

and yeah, as krack already said in a post here, you have to do 8j.hk instead on heavies.

@Tomo009 (or anyone actually)

2lk is a pretty consistent way to get out of flight. Do you know if it is the fastest? Faster than throw whiff, unfly, or 2lp specifically?

2lk is a pretty consistent way to get out of flight. Do you know if it is the fastest? Faster than throw whiff, unfly, or 2lp specifically?
I think 3[HP] or 2[HP] might have been the fastest way?

I think 3[HP] or 2[HP] might have been the fastest way?

You can all just check in training mode, since if you buffer your normal during fly after s.HP xx Fly on hit, you get the frame advantage

You can all just check in training mode, since if you buffer your normal during fly after s.HP xx Fly on hit, you get the frame advantage
Doesn't work with j.HP for some reason.

Actually looking at it, I think that LK is fastest out of normal flight, j.[HP] is the best out of special cancel flight.

I've not been booting up to play much which is why I didn't test it in training.

My sticks right input is going out (makes 2-player blocking a real son of a bitch). And... I just missed my goddamn q4 delivery like 5 minutes ago.

@Krackatoa

What does your post mean? Sorry, I'm still learning terminology. I know if you s.hp x fly x unfly you are pretty safe (though the input is unnatural for me at present).

Doesn't work with j.HP for some reason.

Actually looking at it, I think that LK is fastest out of normal flight, j.[HP] is the best out of special cancel flight.

I think you don't get the reading if you aren't at least 0, maybe?

I think you don't get the reading if you aren't at least 0, maybe?
LK from normal flight is -27, something about j.[HP] makes it not come up at all.

Throw wiff is the fastest according to the frame calculator.

Ah it is too, throw is -26.

Wow, thanks a lot for the help! Simply changing the order of my moves did so much. (O_O)

c.LK, c.MK, s.HP, L Buer, Fly,
6j.LK,
c.MK, s.HP, L Buer, Fly,
6j.LP,
c.LP, c.MP, 6HK, Fly,
6j.HK otg,
c.LK, c.MP, s.HP, L Buer, Deathcrawl

Already my damage has escalated from 5.7k to 7.1k, and I'm pretty sure this isn't optimized either. Thanks a bunch! (^_^)

Reactions: Spencer
7.1 for a bnb is plenty respectable. Generally you aren't going to want to finish out the bnb as it builds a ton of meter for your opponent and puts them on the ground giving them their best chance to escape.

That combo has a ton of reset points (after fly cancels for example). You'll want to start utilizing those if you aren't already.

Can you get this to work on Double?

I can land it with less than 20 damage less by just using j.HK instead of j.HP after that HP buer. The OTG LK buer is haaaard to get consistently though.

EDIT: Found a way that makes it waaaaay easier for me might help others.

After HK buer, do a quick j.LK kara cancelled into LK buer.

The reason this works is that falling speed seems to be quicker than flying down. Unfly probably works here too.

To explain it better I'll write out my inputs.

2LK 2MK 2HP xx 236 HK xx 214 K
2LK ~ 36LK
236 LK xx 214 K

Hmm.... Good stuff. Found a way i find even easier based on your trick:

Instead of lk just use lp and roll it to lk. There is no special move input for air lp, so it will naturally kara into lk buer just above the ground before the otg. Makes the combo easy peasy.

Throw starter I've been fooling around with to try and make full use of undizzy.

Throw
Flight, 3 LP+LK (Air Throw Whiff).
5HP xx LK Buer

(Continue into standard mid-screen bnb)

Corner throw starter is just treating the throw like the 2HP of the first string.

Throw, pause, HK Buer (grounded)

yeah thats my standard throw starter. has been since mde rolled out i think.

Throw starter I've been fooling around with to try and make full use of undizzy.

Throw
Flight, 3 LP+LK (Air Throw Whiff).
5HP xx LK Buer

(Continue into standard mid-screen bnb)

Corner throw starter is just treating the throw like the 2HP of the first string.

Throw, pause, HK Buer (grounded)

Don't lose your OTG too. D:

Easy Midscreen Carry for Throw

Throw xx LK.Buer (Land Cancels) >
Walk Forward > cr.MK,s.HP xx LK.Buer xx Fly >
3j.LP >
cr.MK xx LK.Buer xx Fly >
6j.LK >
s.MP >
Air.LK.Buer xx Fly >
9j.MP(4) xx Air.LK.Buer >
OTG s.LK,s.MK xx HK.Buer xx Fly >
j.HP(4)* >
s.LP,s.LK,s.MK,s.HP xx LK.Buer xx Deathcrawl

*j.HK on Heavies

This is identical to my So-Easy-You-Can't-Drop-It-Ever BnB. No more s.HP links for me to drop. This will probably be the most damage you'll find without s.HP links (That carries forever across the stage).

Last edited: