• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Painwheel MDE Combo Thread (Page 3 Onwards)

Oh this is Brass, I only very quickly skimmed over it and thought it was more ATrain hahaha~ sorry!
E: Do you need the c.LK after CH j.HP?

The problem is you can't always land slower normals depending on how j.HP lands.

H brass is insane, this:
c.lk, c.mk, c.hp, H brass, H buer, fly
air L buer,
otg L buer, fly,
6j.lk,
s.mk, H buer, fly,
j.hp,
s.lk, s.mk, H buer, fly,
9j.mk, j.hp,
s.lp, s.lk, s.mk, s.hp, L buer, Deathcrawl
Does 10.1k...

I was mostly just joking anyway.

Something along the lines of "please don't nerf solo PW... again".

Lol, maybe painwheels damage IS a bit to high... Something's wrong when "i" start pulling out optimized combos in matches...

Nah, even those combos are only slightly above other characters.

PW should be a high damage character, don't nerf your own (not already great) chracter.

Lol, maybe painwheels damage IS a bit to high... Something's wrong when "i" start pulling out optimized combos in matches...
Well, not getting high damage from high damaging characters is kinda dumb, look how far taluda takes his combos, he mostly does like 6k before resetting with Painwheel.

Isn't PW's damage supposed to be pretty high to make up for the fact that she doesn't really have great mix-ups to open up her opponent, her neutral game kinda sucks since her mobility is limited, and her GTFO options are non-existent? The other character like that is Cerebella, and her damage output is pretty high...

Idk, it just seems to me like her options are limited. She flies in with a high attack, she lands and goes for the regular low/throw mix-up, and if she's teched or push-blocked, she has to fly back in again. There are variations to this, and there are assists (if you're not solo), but from what I've seen, this seems to be the BnB pressure cycle. No standing overheads, no safe specials, no true command grabs, no ability to dash back in, none of the stuff that every single other member of the cast has at least one of, so it makes sense that a successful hit should equate to lots of damage.

Bella's GTFO options are expending meter or calling an invincible assist, which I wouldn't say are the best options, not when half the cast has either a DP with a more easily utilized hitbox, another move with a good amount of start-up invincibility, or both.

I'm still new, so I'm probably missing some stuff, but that is what I feel when I play both of those chars.

^^^ off topic... Back to combos... Dont know how much painwheels are getting midscreen universal 1 meter no assist or ch, from a cr.lk starter, but this is the highest that ive gotten... Its got the caveat of being easy, completely universal, 1 meter no assist or ch needed and works in the corner as well, plus its high damaging:

Cr.lk,cr.mk,st.hp xx fly df lk,cr.mk,st.hp xx lk buer fly, df lp,st.mp, j.mk xx hk buer, xx fly up+ j.mp otg,cr.lk,cr.mk xx lp stinger, st.lp,cr.lk,cr.mp,st.hp xx lk buer xx deathcrawl.

Bet you stole H buer thingy from magicman :P

Really nice combo btw

Reactions: Dime
Haha :) not that I'm above that sort of thing, because I'm not :) but afaik that extender is my own as far as being in a bnb combo. (It might be a part of some combo vid somewhere, but not one that ive seen) its a take off of my 2 meter midscreen bnb that does 8.8k, i love that combo, but its not the best to use if pw is in the first spot.

And thanks btw, i appreciate the compliment :)

Reactions: CaioLugon
c.LK, c.MK, s.HP, L Buer, Fly,
6j.LK,
c.MK, s.HP, L Buer, Fly,
6j.LP,
c.LP, c.MP, 6HK, Fly,
6j.HK otg,
c.LK, c.MP, s.HP, L Buer, Deathcrawl

Already my damage has escalated from 5.7k to 7.1k, and I'm pretty sure this isn't optimized either. Thanks a bunch! (^_^)

Do you think that it would be a good idea to have Cerebella do MGR/DD at one of the fly points while I fly and air-grab for a quick reset mix-up? Would it be worth replacing Cerecopter with MGR or DD? Granted, a good reversal can probably blow this wide open, but I could always hang back and maybe even Level 3 in reaction to something.

I have been working on a basic combo for Painwheel mid screen using

cr. lk cr. mk s.hp L buer fly lk
cr. lk cr.mk s.hp L buer fly 9 lp ->lk

ground string but I don't know how to end it. I have seen s.mp into a air series and i have seen cr.mp s.hp L nails but I don't know the best ending for this ground string. Can anyone fill me in?

That is similar to mine (well... Elda's which I stole fair and square):

1. c.lk > c.mk > s.hp x fly > 3.lk >
2. c.mk > s.hp lk.buer x fly > j.lp > j.lk >
3. c.mp > s.hp > lk.nails >
4. j.mp > j.hp >
5. s.lp > s.lk > s.hp > Deathcrawl

Notes:
vs Bella and PW, you have to do x fly > j.mp instead of the 4th string above or the combo will drop.

You may have to feel out how many hits you use for the j.mp and j.hp on the 4th string above depending on the character.

Damage is around 7300 (I think).

It has sexy resets all over it.

Last edited:
So this probably comes up in this thread a lot, but I've been digging around for a few combos, and I really appreciate all the help so far (largely from Krackatoa), but I've hit a bit of a roadblock, and I could really use a bit of advice, if that's not too much trouble.

I'm currently practicing the following combo:

cr.LP, cr.LK, cr.MK, s.HP xx Fly > 3j.LK > cr.LK, cr.MK, s.HP xx LK Buer xx Death Crawl

Just as something small before I tackle the more dauntingly enormous combos around these parts. I just have one problem, though: The 3j.LK > cr.LK, cr. MK bit seems plainly impossible to me. The dummy is always blocking again by cr.LK most of the time, and cr.MK at best. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

My guess is just that your timing is off. I remember learning PW and fly cancels are were you're going to fuck up the most at first.

If you'd like to add me on Steam, we can training room it up.

I have been working on a basic combo for Painwheel mid screen using

cr. lk cr. mk s.hp L buer fly lk
cr. lk cr.mk s.hp L buer fly 9 lp ->lk

ground string but I don't know how to end it. I have seen s.mp into a air series and i have seen cr.mp s.hp L nails but I don't know the best ending for this ground string. Can anyone fill me in?
That is similar to mine (well... Elda's which I stole fair and square):

1. c.lk > c.mk > s.hp x fly > 3.lk >
2. c.mk > s.hp lk.buer x fly > j.lp > j.lk >
3. c.mp > s.hp > lk.nails >
4. j.mp > j.hp >
5. s.lp > s.lk > s.hp > Deathcrawl

Notes:
vs Bella and PW, you have to do x fly > j.mp instead of the 4th string above or the combo will drop.

You may have to feel out how many hits you use for the j.mp and j.hp on the 4th string above depending on the character.

Damage is around 7300 (I think).

It has sexy resets all over it.
This is kinda similar to my BnB PW combo:
c.LK, c.MK, s.HP, L Buer, Fly,
6j.LK,
c.MK, s.HP, L Buer, Fly,
6j.LP,
c.LP, c.MP, 6HK, Fly,
6j.HK otg,
c.LK, c.MP, s.HP, L Buer, Deathcrawl

It only does 7.1K (which isn't that much less), but it works on the entire cast without any need for alterations or changes in timing since it's completely ground-based, which also paves the way for a TON of resets. At combo stage 5 or 7, you can easily switch to c.MP > c.HK > j.MP > j.HP > Buer Thresher for slightly less damage if you want to go straight into a fly mix-up on the opponent's wake-up, which could be really good with a lockdown assist. If you do so at stage 5, you'd still have your OTG to work with, but I believe your drama would be maxed out, so you'd have to go with a reset or a burst bait. You can also get some nasty potential resets off of any single hit in those alternate chains as well, especially with s.HK.

Edit: I'd have to double-check to be sure, but you might have maxed out drama if you try to go for the alternate chain during stage 7. I usually just do it at stage 5 if I'm ever going to do it (which is almost never...).

So this probably comes up in this thread a lot, but I've been digging around for a few combos, and I really appreciate all the help so far (largely from Krackatoa), but I've hit a bit of a roadblock, and I could really use a bit of advice, if that's not too much trouble.

I'm currently practicing the following combo:

cr.LP, cr.LK, cr.MK, s.HP xx Fly > 3j.LK > cr.LK, cr.MK, s.HP xx LK Buer xx Death Crawl

Just as something small before I tackle the more dauntingly enormous combos around these parts. I just have one problem, though: The 3j.LK > cr.LK, cr. MK bit seems plainly impossible to me. The dummy is always blocking again by cr.LK most of the time, and cr.MK at best. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!
As a fellow trainee, this was also what gave me the most trouble while trying to perform PW combos. Try to connect your LK as close to the ground as possible. If you can, you may wanna practice excluding c.LK from that last ground string. It will be easier on your damage 'cause of scaling and it will allow you to start another string with c.LK in the future (once you move on to those bigger combos). Also, adding in a L Buer after the first s.HP is another nice thing to practice. It pretty much always tacks on a good bit of damage onto your combo but fly-cancelling and attacking out of it immediately always gave me a lot of trouble at first because the timing is somewhat different (you have to kinda buffer the fly and hold forwards during the end of the Buer animation to get the earliest possible fly cancel). Maybe try adding those things in steps?

Last edited:
Always remember, there's a buffer for normals during Fly startup. You should be hitting 3j.LK before you come out of the Fly animation. It will come out on the first possible frame.

Thank you both for all the help! I don't know if I'll go with the training room offer just yet since... well, honestly I'm far too embarrassed by my incompetence to play her where anyone can see. That said, it's a bit reassuring to know this is genuinely a hard part.

What I've been doing so far is skipping that and stealing what I believe is a Krackatoa combo (thanks again!) that goes as follows:

r.LP, cr.LK, cr.MK, s.HP xx QCF.LP > Dash > s.MP > j.MP(4), j.HP(3), j.HK > s.LP, s.LK, cr.MP, s.HP xx LK.Buer xx Deathcrawl

High hopes for having it down at least somewhat by tomorrow. I might get back to this after.

Always remember, there's a buffer for normals during Fly startup. You should be hitting 3j.LK before you come out of the Fly animation. It will come out on the first possible frame.

Oh, thank you! I can't actually remember if I was doing that, but I'll try next time I get back to this. Assuming my reflexes can keep up, that is. Much appreciated.

Oh, thank you! I can't actually remember if I was doing that, but I'll try next time I get back to this. Assuming my reflexes can keep up, that is. Much appreciated.

It's not about reflexes. Don't check to see if you've correctly input Fly. Expect that you correctly input Fly. Fly starts up in 15 frames on the ground, which is too fast for you to confirm that it actually happened (You need like 20). You'll miss the window and not be able to combo anything.

Reactions: Spencer
It's not about reflexes. Don't check to see if you've correctly input Fly. Expect that you correctly input Fly. Fly starts up in 15 frames on the ground, which is too fast for you to confirm that it actually happened (You need like 20). You'll miss the window and not be able to combo anything.

Oh, I meant in terms of sheer button-pressing timing. I don't actually look at what's onscreen for... close to any of the combos to judge timing. Actually, one of my problems at the moment is that I'll sometimes cancel s.HP, in my rush, into either L-Buer or L-Stinger before it actually hits.

...I am so bad at video games.

Any ideas for counter hit combos? (besides the CT combo krakatoa did in his video) Or should i just add LP nails and do another string? I've mostly been tryna find something for mid screen.

Also, yah! First post!

Last edited:
Any ideas for counter hit combos? (besides the CT combo krakatoa did in his video) Or should i just add LP nails and do another string? I've mostly been tryna find something for mid screen.

Also, yah! First post!

If you're halfway to the stage edge, you can do a variation on the corner carries I use for big damage. Off a heavy CH on a fresh victim, you can substitute LP.Stinger earlier in the combo to preserve a j.LP or j.LK for a later extension (You normally can't optimally fit in an LP.Stinger later on)

If you're not halfway to stage edge, but got CH, it's better to do a small combo into a reset, because you can now kill off of two-hits (One basic midscreen combo followed by one corner carry will end a character in 3v2 ratios, I think).

How much should a heavy counter hit combo do? I've been able to buff my mid to corner combo from 8.1 to 8.7 (roughly speaking. Can't remember the exact value). When using your light corner carry i did 9k but seeing as how the combo already did 8.5 it seems kind of pointless (on the bright side the combo was really fun)

Should i be doing more or are my expectations too high?

Last edited:
If ya'll want a slight variation on the assist combo with H Brass:

cr.lk cr.mk assist cr.hp xx hk buer xx fly 9.air.lk buer j.mk
cr.mk s.hp xx lk buer xx fly
3j.lk cr.lk cr.mk s.hp xx lk buer xx fly
3j.lp cr.lp cr.lk cr.mk s.hp xx lk buer Deathcrawl

9.3k - If you miss the clean j.mk out of the air lk buer and get an otg instead delay the buer after the cr.mk s.hp rep so they have time to fall back into lk buer's hitbox.

If ya'll want a slight variation on the assist combo with H Brass:

cr.lk cr.mk assist cr.hp xx hk buer xx fly 9.air.lk buer j.mk
cr.mk s.hp xx lk buer xx fly
3j.lk cr.lk cr.mk s.hp xx lk buer xx fly
3j.lp cr.lp cr.lk cr.mk s.hp xx lk buer Deathcrawl

9.3k - If you miss the clean j.mk out of the air lk buer and get an otg instead delay the buer after the cr.mk s.hp rep so they have time to fall back into lk buer's hitbox.

You'd be better off using standing mk whenever u can to replace cr.mk after the buers. You'll get more damage that way. And while saving your otg is nice, I'm not really sure if it's worth it considering the original combo did 10.1. Maybe for ease of use? Lastly, you could just do 6 after the fly cancel instead of 3. It works the same and 3 is more universal but I just wanted to mention it since some people might find it easier.

Last edited:
The first two c.MKs are probably better because of damage scaling, but you'd have to check to be sure. Also, it tends to combo better. s.MK messes up my combos sometimes because it sends the opponent away and airborne unless I cancel it early...which defeats the purpose of using it in the first place.

3 is generally better because it lets you use your ground moves faster, so more things will combo better. I put only 6 in my summary of my combo, but upon further inspection, I actually use 6 for j.LK and 3 for j.LP; I think j.LP may have less stun or something...

The first two c.MKs are probably better because of damage scaling, but you'd have to check to be sure. Also, it tends to combo better. s.MK messes up my combos sometimes because it sends the opponent away and airborne unless I cancel it early...which defeats the purpose of using it in the first place.

3 is generally better because it lets you use your ground moves faster, so more things will combo better. I put only 6 in my summary of my combo, but upon further inspection, I actually use 6 for j.LK and 3 for j.LP; I think j.LP may have less stun or something...
Standing mk works fine as fine as u delay stand hp and buer to let the opponent fall. Plus, buer scales down your combo a lot to the point where standing mk is better after you've done two of then.

I cannot get the H.A-Train timing down at all in the combo Krackatoa posted last page. Whenabouts should that come in, and how does it work?

Call the assist about halfway through the animation for c.hp. Just before the attack connects. Then do HK buer as early as possible.

Does anyone know any good double snap or happy birthday combos?

Not "good", but easy Doublesnap:
Snap, [OTG] c.MP s.HK > j.HP
[c.MP s.HK > j.HP]xN

Against heavyweights, c.MP is too slow so you instead need to do something like
Snap, [OTG] c.MP s.HK > j.HP
[s.LP c.MP s.HK > j.HP]xN

a good loop is [sMP xx Fly jMK xx Fly jMK] x n, add lights if you want to make it easier

Mine is [s.hk > j.mp > j.hk > s.lp > s.lk] seems slow as hell, but it works.

Call the assist about halfway through the animation for c.hp. Just before the attack connects. Then do HK buer as early as possible.

Thanks! I'll try this once I'm... more awake.

s.mp xN da second bes double snap

1st being cr.lk s.mp charged cr.hp xN

Got it! I was doing the call a bit later than I should have even after reading your advice, for a bit. I have it down now, though it's a difficult link. Thank you for the help!

Snap, cr.mp xx st.hp xx lp stinger, dash [st.lp, st.mp xx fly j.hp] repeat brackets till dead. This snap starter has the most range and allows pw to convert snaps that arent point blank in the corner. Also the cr.mp is much easier to time than the cr.lk otg. And the snap combo itself is really easy and does very good damage.