• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Beta Aug 5th Patch Discussion

The more you talk the more I wish you would just stick to painting. :^P
It's your fault I like playing this game enough to talk about it. take responsibility senpai. :p

Just gonna write again that if possible Fortune's headless head damage should change from 50% unscaled across the board to a percentage more accommodating by ratio because damage she takes on different ratios are staggeringly different and I don't believe it's fair to be further penalized for just picking a higher ratio.

(I already got two penalties just for headless existing ((3 if you count losing invuln dp)) but I take an extra-extra chunk against all ratios to a trio giving me a third penalty ((or 4)) simply for existing in a higher ratio)

50% would be fine if all ratios were 1.00 but once you're a trio you have less health and trio v trio is like 1.30 and the same for duos and 1.45 against solos compare that to what a lower ratio like a duo or solo that has 1.00 (anything against a solo excluding solo v solo is 1.45 but those ratios have more health so it doesn't hurt as much)

So in a trio (which has less health) where someone else doing 1.00 damage to me doesn't exist it REALLY hurts to be headless.

trio v trio is 1.30
trio v duo is 1.30
trio v solo is 1.45

duo v trio is 1.00
duo v duo is 1.00
duo v solo is 1.45

solo v trio is 1.00
solo v duo is 1.30
solo v solo is 1.00

the bold is what damage ratio that team size has against the non-bold team size

so again, it HURTS ow ow ow

edit really long number because I edited this a lot: @Mike_Z that way it doesn't get lost in the flood.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huffy
Nothing even CHANGED for that to happen, that's been true since Band existed? :^P You complaining from Fortune's SiDE?
I know, I even mentioned that exact scenario in the fortune compedium, the video was just meant to illustrate the "headless takes too much damage" point.

I get that it was stupid in SDE but now if you have a good head-on there's very little reason to ever go headless, you're just getting a worse character.

Worse at neutral, maybe. Even that is MU dependent. With her level 1 causing hard knockdown you can almost always get head off on your terms and your pressure/mix ups get like 5x better instantly. She is at her best when you play head off, she doesn't become a worse character.

I played some matches with Robo in beta.
Don't really feel the damage nerf affecting anything and I still suck at zoning after those zoning buffs = =
Anyways, one thing I really wish would happen is if Robo's head launching can have a smaller hitbox.
I checked the hitbox out and it seems to extend a bit beyond where the head graphic is.
I wish it is smaller because landing that hit just ruin combos :(

I just want to say that I don't want headless to take less unscaled damage in 1.00 (because I don't believe that will ever change) but the unscaled damage should change for different damage ratios so that it's less discouraging to put headless in a trio.

She's already a true glass cannon (because taking extra damage might as well be having less health) and putting her in a trio makes this more apparent. Even when you bait a super it HURTS

(just in case I wasn't clear the first time and it seems like I want her to "take less damage period" which I would like but is not what I am aiming for)

She is at her best when you play head off, she doesn't become a worse character.

Disagree with that. A lot of players aren't utilizing a lot of Headless tech, but that doesn't change a lot of the things Headless lacks that Head-On either has for does just as well.

There are a couple of characters that cannot get out of certain setups, but those are rare and in a lot (most from what I've seen/read/played) of matchups going headless is much more of a liability.

Disagree with that. A lot of players aren't utilizing a lot of Headless tech, but that doesn't change a lot of the things Headless lacks that Head-On either has for does just as well.

There are a couple of characters that cannot get out of certain setups, but those are rare and in a lot (most from what I've seen/read/played) of matchups going headless is much more of a liability.

Fortune loses DP and rekka meter build, that's it. She still has instant overheads, low, everything is + on block when the head is in play, the only character who can do launch on block and jump thanks to the head, complete ground control, some air control (sneeze). I don't know where this Fortune begins to lack too many things when head is off idea came from.

edit: air control also include her kicking the head around.

Headless is really good but playing her ratio 3 means you die if you get touched once.

Her not having invincible fiber is fair, not worse, but I don't feel like the amount of damage you take is fair ratio 3 which is why I agree with @Stuff. I'll always play 2 character teams because I play almost exclusively headless and it's just not worth it in my opinion.

Reactions: Wenzel
This is why I think it's important to be proficient with both, all depending on matchup/situation. Against BB, for many reasons, I don't think headless is for that MU. But against Peacock for example, I only want to go headless once you get the sliding knockdown from CSF.

Oh, good point, Random should just be the first hit, yeah. I'll see if that's possible.
[edit] Fixed, Random will correctly block after the first touch.
Would it be too much to ask if the current behavior stayed as an option? Human opponents are capable of being opened up by low/overhead while blocking.

Maybe as a "block low after first blocked hit"/"block high after first blocked hit"/"block random every hit"/"block perfectly every hit" selection? That sounds like mad UI work. ("Block low after first" sound awesome for practicing fuzzy guard setups tho)

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Although I hate absolutely HATE the pressure headless fortune can deliver, and hate the fact that her corner pressure is absolutely insane (Thanks PME) I still think she deserves fair damage when it comes to team ratio. A small reduction in damage taken depending on team ratios at least deserves to be tested right? I mean what else is the beta for?

May we please have NOM and Feline Allergies (Sneeze DP) as assist as headless? It could be fun. Also, for those that miss the recent M.Shadow, would it be fair if either the current M. Shadow or other M. Shadow be assist only, like PW's Pinion Dash?

May we please have NOM and Feline Allergies (Sneeze DP) as assist as headless? It could be fun.
How would that work though? To get access to these assists you would first have to go headless as Fortune then tag out (though I guess Nom would give you her head toss as assist). But when you tag out as Fortune the head is left on screen, so unless the head teleports to you when you call assist then it would be useless 99% of the time as the head wouldn't be near you. It would also be extremely low risk unless Fortune was made to come out like a normal assist like what happens with SOID assist (otherwise you get an assist that can't be combed or double snapped).

I really don't think Fortune needs any changes, I think a majority of the cast is fine and shouldn't be tampered with.

Now Fukua and Robo is what we need to figure out.

How would that work though?
probably the same way headbutt (shp), zoom (chp), gato, and slide work as assists, which is just doing a normal if you have the head on. Not that I agree nom and sneeze should be assists, I think sneeze would be too difficult to set up to use correctly, and nom would probably be useful but it would make for really slow combos kinda like when pummel horse was an assist and how excellebella is now, except that one doesn't hit from the other side of the screen.

I think that fortune with the head off is 100% a better character than with it on as long as you aren't getting hit. Even with the loss of inv on fiber you more or less still have an inv reversal that you can input then block with sneeze, as long as the positioning is nice. It really sucks that in certain matchups you live or get killed depending on where you are on the screen. One of the most frustrating things as fortune (for me) is when it feels like I can't play headless in certain matchups because if I do and get hit then it costs a character. I don't think I'd switch to a trio if there was a damage reduction in compensation for the differences between ratio damage, but I'd appreciate it for the people who feel restricted by their team choice that don't feel like they can take the head off or risk getting snapped.

man school hasnt started yet and I'm already writing essays I need to get better at condensing this kind of stuff.

Fortune loses DP and rekka meter build, that's it. She still has instant overheads, low, everything is + on block when the head is in play, the only character who can do launch on block and jump thanks to the head, complete ground control, some air control (sneeze). I don't know where this Fortune begins to lack too many things when head is off idea came from.

edit: air control also include her kicking the head around.
Head-on with an assist can do pressure just as well as headless, gets to do more damage and doesn't have to take a ton of extra damage. It's not about the things she lacks, head-on is just better.

I checked the hitbox out and it seems to extend a bit beyond where the head graphic is.
I wish it is smaller because landing that hit just ruin combos :(
It was made bigger so it could hit. otherwise it would rarely hit. Plus it's a legit double snap infinite now that it's bigger. What combo does it ruin? The only thing you can combo after doing it, minus assists, is magnet.

It was made bigger so it could hit. otherwise it would rarely hit. Plus it's a legit double snap infinite now that it's bigger. What combo does it ruin? The only thing you can combo after doing it, minus assists, is magnet.

i assume he's talking about it ruining combos when you call the head-summoning part of the missiles/mine/ram assist

would it be fair if either the current M. Shadow or other M. Shadow be assist only, like PW's Pinion Dash?
NO.

unless the head teleports to you when you call assist then it would be useless 99% of the time as the head wouldn't be near you.
Both of those moves track the opponent's direction...

Head-on with an assist can do pressure just as well as headless
So...headed with someone else, is as good as headless without someone else. I'm not sure the argument you want to make, because the other way to put that is "headless alone is as good as headed with an assist". :^P

gets to do more damage
See, now, that I'm willing to mess with. :^P If Fiber scaled and H Gato loops were either fixed or worsened, headless would be the damage version.

I could pretty easily get the head damage to scale down with Fortune's damage multiplier. (Clarification - head takes say 50% * Fortune's current damage scaling with the minimum of 10% no matter whether it's being hit by a super or not.)

Reactions: Receita Federal
OK. Just ignore what I said if people prefer bigger hitbox :)
I was doing sMP->Squigly cHP->head launch. The head would only hit some character like Filia and Beowulf.
I can still make the combo by taking a step back to avoid head hitting :)

So...headed with someone else, is as good as headless without someone else. I'm not sure the argument you want to make, because the other way to put that is "headless alone is as good as headed with an assist". :^P
I wasn't talking about headless or head-on as a whole, and I didn't say it was headless by herself, opening up the opponent as head-on with an assist is also as easy as headless with an assist.

I wasn't talking about headless or head-on as a whole, and I didn't say it was headless by herself, opening up the opponent as head-on with an assist is also as easy as headless with an assist.
That's the point, though? Opening up the opponent headless is as easy as opening up the opponent using an assist?

That's the point, though? Opening up the opponent headless is as easy as opening up the opponent using an assist?
The point is that if headless is supposed to give you better pressure and setups in exchange for your defensive options and hp normals (and a good chunk of life in a bunch of cases) I don't think it's worth it.

Yeah, but that's because she has IAD j.LK, c.LK, and throw in both modes? So it's not like it would be easier in one. And you can choose assists to fill the lockdown role her head also fills.
I mean this might be true, but it's just one aspect of her gameplay. So I'm not sure what your POINT is.

Yeah, but that's because she has IAD j.LK, c.LK, and throw in both modes? So it's not like it would be easier in one. And you can choose assists to fill the lockdown role her head also fills.
I mean this might be true, but it's just one aspect of her gameplay. So I'm not sure what your POINT is.

The point is that if headless is supposed to give you better pressure and setups in exchange for your defensive options and hp normals (and a good chunk of life in a bunch of cases) I don't think it's worth it.

I believe that was his point. He's saying the consequences of being headless outweighs the "superior" mode of the head on. Especially when fortune head on mode with assist nets the following:

-Better damage
-A mobility DP(in headless case, a mobility AA)
-Better meter build.
-Less liability if you get hit, instead of fortune getting hit with her head together for that 150% damage in a combo.
-Faster IAD(?)

As it stands right now. Head on fortune seems to be the go-to for many reasons, these are a few i can come off the top of my head.
I could be deadass wrong to what caio is originally trying to say but basically TLDR.

Tl;dr: Why play a mode with more liability than play the safer, more damaging mode that can do what headless can do without risking 150% on a combo?

Fuck it. Give back old headless IAD and Fiber, but up the damage from the head getting hit to 70% and ignore combo scaling.

Reactions: zarkingphoton
Not a very good suggestion.

Also, Mike.

Is it intended behavior that even after the M shadow fully slams the character you still cannot input a shadow? How long framewise is fukua not allowed to input another shadow when she does m shadow?

i can produce another shadow faster when i do H shadow or L shadow but not M.

@Mike_Z I would still love to see the training mode option "Counter hit only on first hit" so that when I am doing a reset, it doesnt automatically resort back to counter hit. Maybe treat it like the block after first hit counter where after about maybe like 20-30 frames your next hit goes back to counter hit?
It'd be very useful!

hey what if bella lvl3 took meter before the flash.

@Mike_Z I would still love to see the training mode option "Counter hit only on first hit" so that when I am doing a reset, it doesnt automatically resort back to counter hit. Maybe treat it like the block after first hit counter where after about maybe like 20-30 frames your next hit goes back to counter hit?
It'd be very useful!

also on this topic. would it be really difficult to implement xrd-like 'switch block on 1st/2nd hit' as an option.

I personally like the longer IAD input as headless, I get [IAD j.LK > j.MP] from it

Reactions: CaioLugon
I was thinking of maybe allowing Beowulf to combo s.MPx2 into chair-on s.HP or chair-off c.HP. I'm not sure if there was a specific reason to not allow this to be a thing.

Reactions: Fuego
Also I think this might be because of the change where Beo cannot crossup in the corner after canis major, but the opponent faces upward in the corner after the canis major, instead of downwards, how it should be.

upload_2016-8-27_9-7-54.png

upload_2016-8-27_9-8-35.png

I was thinking of maybe allowing Beowulf to combo s.MPx2 into chair-on s.HP or chair-off c.HP. I'm not sure if there was a specific reason to not allow this to be a thing.
In order to make it combo you'd either have to increase the hitstun on s.mpx2 or start up on the s.hp/cr.hp. I can't say much about s.mpx2, it's more of a gimmick for resets. As for combos its the slightly more damaging option. s.hp/cr.hp have great hitboxes already so it would seem wrong for it to have faster startup.

Also I think this might be because of the change where Beo cannot crossup in the corner after canis major, but the opponent faces upward in the corner after the canis major, instead of downwards, how it should be.
I'm pretty sure you can crossup everyone except Big Band, Double, Eliza in the corner after canis major.

Yeah, but that's because she has IAD j.LK, c.LK, and throw in both modes? So it's not like it would be easier in one....

...So I'm not sure what your POINT is.

"Headless is better at mixups/pressure instantly; that's the tradeoff so that she's not a worse character" - (from sage)

"Head-On Pressure/mixups are just as good as Headless" - (me, Caio)

"If her Pressure and Mixups are just as good, whats the problem?"

Do you not see the problem with this? :(

Headless is supposed to have trade offs, and that's fine, but the tradeoffs feel too strong when the advantages aren't that much better than what Head-On currently enjoys. If headless was strongly preferred in more Matchups in neutral, then this wouldn't be a problem, but the amount of matchups that people actually seem to think Headless makes a difference is only a couple. One version is going to be better than the other, that's inevitable, but I don't see the problem in trying to reduce that gap so that hopefully it's not as clear cut of a choice.

Head taking scaled damage will help a little, but that's mostly for outlining cases like in that BB video so that Headless doesn't straight up die in 1 combo anymore, which is only 1 of the issues here and even that isn't the biggest deal imo.

Reducing the damage from Head-on would be something though. I don't super like it, since I don't have too much issue with Head-Ons damage, but at least it would make a little more sense that Headless being the harder version to play doesn't do less damage with little other gain. If you were going that route, could we not just Buff Headless Damage?

@Fizzxwizz , by your own admission from the older Headless MU thread, you still mostly put down Head-On as the go to for most MUs. I'm not saying Headless is bad, but between everyone mostly agreeing about Headless MUs (from what I ask), and evidence of every Fortune player nowadays 80% sticking to Head-On (you're probably the biggest outlier on this one), it doesn't help your point of saying that Headless is just as strong.

Also, on that note of "headless pressure is safe on block" from Sage, Headless Pressure being + is also a bit of a misleading point. In a game with PBGC/strong alpha counters at the ready, being plus is not the only factor in how good pressure really is. Range/distancing and Character options on/from blockstrings is a big factor; this is part of why Double/old fukua pressure was so good because they could be PB'd away, continue a blockstring with good buttons/specials to keep up the pressure, typically out of range from close up options from the pressured character, and still react with something even the opponent tried to PBGC/Alpha Counter something and win. Headless can only mixup by getting close, which puts her in range so that she is still vulnerable to all that stuff, and using Head things (zoom, sneeze, nom, w/e) can only sometimes make you safe but it typically won't, and only has 1/2 supers to counter with if the opponent did something (and both of which aren't that great compared to what other characters have). And like Caio said, once assists start getting into the mix, Headless's options aren't that much more numerous than Head-Ons.

tl;dr on above: the pressure is okay but A. its not strong enough to justify having only a metered reversal (very big deal) + dying in 1 combo + worse damage across the board + harder combos/setups to work with and B. not that much stronger than what Head-On/other characters can do at this point.

I personally like the longer IAD input as headless, I get [IAD j.LK > j.MP] from it

I don't, the higher height makes pressure not as strong in pretty much every case, plus IAD jLK jMP still messes up on a bunch of characters which makes that not a good confirm anyways (you still have IAD jLK Gato which is okay). It's one of those things that while not TERRIBLE and is still good, is still just weaker than what Head-On can do.

Head on pressure and mix ups are not in the same league as head off pressure and mix up I'm sorry. You guys are wrong.

Reactions: WarpedEcho
No one has explained anything yet besides she takes more damage with the head off. Everything else has been opinions.

Edit 2: This wasnt a comprehensive list, she is however, one of the few characters that can set up a meaty and then block, even during pressure strings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Broken Loose
PARTIAL LIST OF PRESSURE TOOLS HEAD OFF FORTUNE HAS

-Head can pull/push so you can do cross up mix ups in and out of the corner EZ. Leads to crossing up inputs and messing up PBGCs
-Can hit confirm single hits with cr.lk hitting the head. Hella plus. Can also do cr.lk launch. Safe vs PBGC
-Best pbgc baits in the game. String -> block + head =
-Overhead axe kick is +, low slide is also +
-Space control when you kick the head
-Hit grab on the ground, you control the ground
-Pushblock is worthless when you fight head pressure. It doesn't push her out, the head makes contact before you get pushed away. You can pushblock the head, but that's only if fortune pushes H. 102394893029384 mindgames and mix ups with this alone.
-Fullscreen snap. Can lock out assists with this for FREE. Underused, godlike, looks cool.
-Did I mention she can fukin up back after launching on block like come on now.

END OF PARTIAL LIST

*Combine with assists for improved results.