• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Original / Fan Character Thread

I need concept art.

Don't we all? My concept art won't start out great though. Gonna be pretty bad the first time (don't rub it in though).

Well,it's just fun to see all different kinds of art we have.Maybe that's why i love this thread.

Let's just say I want my art for my OC to look something like these:

Adventure-Time-Season-5-Episode-27-Recap-Jake-Suit-Flexin.png

Colors__new_1.gif~c200

And to the (hopefully) least extent:
DLC_Samson.png

Basically mix the 3 of these in a bowl and then take out into a different direction, that's what I wanna do for my OC Felix. The other 3 characters I thought of will probably be a lot harder to design, so I'll just start with this one.

Reactions: Kaname-madoki
Oh I forgot to post an update that I made a change to The Wulf Pack post. The location and physical appearance of The Wulf Den has changed. Instead of being a repurposed steel refinery plant it's now something a whole lot bigger, it's a fortress built inside of a massive cave with its own ecosystem.
It will be located somewhere outside New Meridian City on the national borders of the Canopy Kingdom.
The purpose of this redesign is to mirror Masyaf from Assassin's Creed.

Oh I forgot to post an update that I made a change to The Wulf Pack post. The location and physical appearance of The Wulf Den has changed. Instead of being a repurposed steel refinery plant it's now something a whole lot bigger, it's a fortress built inside of a massive cave with its own ecosystem.
It will be located somewhere outside New Meridian City on the national borders of the Canopy Kingdom.
The purpose of this redesign is to mirror Masyaf from Assassin's Creed.
So it's basically Masyaf in a giant cave?

Not gonna argue with an underground society like place, but you would need to think how it would work alongside everything else. I'd assume it was a secret area, otherwise you'd get people talking about it.

Not gonna argue with an underground society like place, but you would need to think how it would work alongside everything else. I'd assume it was a secret area, otherwise you'd get people talking about it.
There's no way to keep such a massive facility a secret, but by the time this base of operations is established The Wulf Pack is already a well known force. Wiglaf purchased the land from the Canopy Kingdom and its location on the very border between the Kingdom and No Man's Land allowed him to quickly declare it an Independent City State like Vatican City.

By the time The Den is established everyone knows that The Wulf Pack exists, everyone knows that their agents are lurking inside New Meridian City, and everyone knows that their base of operations is inside the municipality that was recently established in the wilderness near No Man's Land. Finding out who the agents are and what's going on inside the cave is an entirely different story. For all intents and purposes The Wulf Pack is operating on completely legal grounds from the outside looking in. They're actually very similar to The Medici Mafia in that regard. Kind of ironic.

Reactions: Bucky Barkley
Seems cool, I had a look over Barbara and thought that you did well with description and story to make up for your lack of artistic talent. Can't wait to see the story that you'll eventually make. I also love the Scottish inspiration for her, considering I'm from Scotland and all. I could possibly sketch her out for you from what I've been given, and you can regard it it as fanart of her in some respect.

Reactions: Denizen
I could possibly sketch her out for you from what I've been given, and you can regard it it as fanart of her in some respect.
You don't have to do that, truth is I'm kind of afraid of what these characters might look like when drawn on paper. Despite the detail I've put in writing there's really no way to properly explain what's in my head. If someone else were to try to draw Wiglaf and Barbara the end result would most likely be something other than what I envisioned.
I can't stop anyone from drawing them, nor do I want to. It's very flattering and I appreciate the gesture. I just feel like only a good artist with skill in turning words into images could accurately depict what these characters would look like. I'm not sure if such a person exists though, and if they do they wouldn't bother with me.
I'm torn here, I would love it if some artists decided to draw my fan characters, but I'm also deathly afraid that it won't turn out right. Someone help me.

I also feel like I just don't deserve it, I value any and all art highly and I consider it an honor when an artist creates something for me. It's an honor that I feel like I don't deserve, whether the artist is a pro or sub par I feel the same either way.

You don't have to do that, truth is I'm kind of afraid of what these characters might look like when drawn on paper. Despite the detail I've put in writing there's really no way to properly explain what's in my head. If someone else were to try to draw Wiglaf and Barbara the end result would most likely be something other than what I envisioned.
I can't stop anyone from drawing them, nor do I want to. It's very flattering and I appreciate the gesture. I just feel like only a good artist with skill in turning words into images could accurately depict what these characters would look like. I'm not sure if such a person exists though, and if they do they wouldn't bother with me.
I'm torn here, I would love it if some artists decided to draw my fan characters, but I'm also deathly afraid that it won't turn out right. Someone help me.
I understand the worry, it's just like handing over a sketch of something in your head to someone and telling them to do better. They will never truly understand what it looks like in your head, but they look at it and try their best, and the results vary greatly.

What I think is that I could just do the sketch of Barbara and you can point out what is right and what is wrong, and I can simply make another concept sketch, I wouldn't mind doing that for you at all, but the process would span over a few days considering I'd have to keep taking photos of the drawings on my phone, borrow a USB connector and import the pics to my laptop and then give the connector back. I could do this more flexibly in the weekends, but my time is free mostly on weekdays apart from Wednesdays.

You don't need to feel like you're pushing me to do something, I'm going to take this at my own pace, which means I could get a concept done in an afternoon on normal weekdays after school.

Last edited:
You know what, I'll risk the disappointment. It wouldn't be right of me to discourage somebody from doing me a favor just because I'm afraid it won't turn out well. I'm making a statement now.

Wiglaf and Barbara are completely open to anyone who would like to draw them. I both encourage and appreciate it. I say this to any and all artists who are reading this thread, whether you're amazing or terrible at your craft. However, I refuse to have any involvement in the actual creation of the art because it would be wrong of me to try and control the creative process. All I ask is that you read the Physical Appearance/Clothing & Equipment sections, because that is where their aesthetic design is explained in full detail.

I know that almost nobody will consider doing this, I only say this for the few that may. I thank you.

Just wanna say, as a guy who draws things, I really appreciate your respectful attitude. So many people are like OMG PLZZ DRAW MY OC I CANT PAY YOU THOUGH

Reactions: Denizen
Well,it's just fun to see all different kinds of art we have.Maybe that's why i love this thread.

Said I'd get around with the concept art for Felix (wearing Brutus like a Jacket), and here it is:
Cassius and Felix.JPG

All in all, its pretty bad right now, but at least I'm starting somewhere

Reactions: Kaname-madoki
well. despite the rather... em, awkwardness the past discussion may have caused, i'll be brave and post my fan character.

Warning: I do NOT consider myself being very good at writing, much less backstories. so do forgive me if my writing is poor.

that said, at least i tried, here we go.

Davy (get the joke?)
He's a Salty Sea dog! but not in the way of being a pirate, no. he's an experienced Feral sailor who's
lost everything he holds dear to the Skullgirl! so you can imagine he became quite bitter about that.

Spending his childhood close to the ocean, Dave (he goes by Davy.) always wanted to sail on it. his dad would take him on Boat rides when he wasn't working and his Mom would take him to the beach all the time. so it was only a matter of time before he became a sailor himself! by the age of 17 he had graduated with the respect of his peers. and the next year, he decided to join the Canopy Kingdom's Naval Branch, keeping the Docks of New Miridian safe from shady dealings. when he was off duty he would go to Little Innsmouth, where he'd enjoy the company of his friends at Dak'kull Dubu (yu-wan's restuaraunt). one night he met a lovely lady there, after mustering the courage to talk to her they started to talk, the woman was a slim, long, dark-haired Human named Jennine, and after asking her out and a few more dates, they got married 3 months after his 21st birthday. where one of his wedding presents was his very own Living weapon: A Paddle named Grolvar, given to him by his father.

after such a gift being given to him, he would train with it daily, growing more experienced with it and a stronger relationship with it, this experience had him become much more proficient at his job, earning him a better rank in the Navy, life seemed to be going great for Dave... until one day, when he was making port after a long trip back from a trading route. he found his wife at the docks waiting for him, as they began to dock, the unpredictable happened.

the Skullheart had found it's new host, and the Skullgirl had erupted in anger. obviously angry towards the Medicis, she threw a part of the Medici Tower at a blimp over the ocean, debris began to fall from it all over the docks, destroying his ship, and knocking him onto the docks. and just as fast as it was that he landed did he watch his wife die by the falling debris. he had lost everything that day, his ship, his friends, and is true love. in his devastation, he wanted what anyone would want in this situation: Revenge. Gathering his composure, he began his hunt for the Skullgirl.
Pre-Event:Cheerful, Sly, Witty, Kind, Stern, Friendly, Go-Getter, Happy, Currently:Sly, Bitter, Frustrated, Seething, Rough, Stern, Upset, Salty, Unhappy.
Likes: Large bodies of Water, Boats, Rain, Swimming, Beaches, Sandcastles, His Family, Get-togethers, Noodle soup, Oranges, His Job, Uniforms, The Flute,
Dislikes:The Skullgirl, Cats, Fog, Fire, Silence, People Staring, Loud Places, Surprises, Pickles, Criminals,
Height:6'0''
Weight:190 lbs.
Complexion:Scaled, Rough, colors are Brown, Tan, with White spots. and a Light Tan underbelly.
Hair:None. (technically his "beard" is a bunch of little skin flaps.)
Eyes:Black.
Features:he's a Wobbegong Dagonian, he has a medium size, Bristled "Beard" that is actually his skin, he has fins that come out of his arms, and because of them, he must roll up the sleeves of his uniform to wear it as easily as possible.

Physique: Well-toned, He's not that muscular, but he's got a standard Black Egret Build. built to last long in a stamina race,
Davy's attire is loosely based on a 1940's sailor outfit.

-his uniform attire includes a jacket with pouches on the chest and stomach area in a dark blue color and yellow buttons, a plain grey undershirt, and a Dark-ish Grey scarf.
-His hat is a standard sailor hat, but he wears it lop-sided, hanging slightly to the left, the symbol on it would be the Canopy Kingdom's Navy symbol.
-he wears Black business shoes, likely a size 12, and they have a bit of a shine to them.
-He wears a wedding ring on his right hand, the gem inside looks to be a Ruby.

-In Davy's hands he wields the Living Weapon Grolvar, a Paddle that can create small bodies of water, The shaft of Grolvar is made out of stainless steel, the grip is a large Aquamarine, the blade of the paddle is surrounded with a sharp blade, wrapping around the sides and tip of it. the flat part of the blade is the living weapon's face, resembling a skull, it has small Pearls which act as his Pupils, and when using his water powers his expression looks as if he's concentrating very hard. near the tip of the bladed part is where it's mouth is, which he spews water out of.
-he has a little wooden dinghy that he can call thanks to the water abilities of Grolvar, inside of it is a little hand cannon that he can pull out and shoot at people with explosive results.
-Davy can pull out different items pertaining to sailing, from Lifesavers to Nets.
Son-Son (Marvel Vs. Capcom 2), Seung Mina (Soul Calibur), Aquaman (Injustice: Gods Among Us), Ruby Heart (Marvel vs. Capcom 2), Nightwing (Injustice) Rikuo (Darkstalkers)

(I don't have a very extensive history on fighting games, if any more references come to your mind, let me know?)
Davy stands with his left foot forward, and his right foot positioned a little bit behind him and at an angle, his body leans forward a little and he holds Grolvar with both hands like a spear.

Davy's fighting style is dominatly rushdown, though he tends to start off at a distance. giving him alot of options to get in close and a bit less to gain distance again. dropping a combo is the absolute worst thing to be done by this character simply because he's close to the opponent, his light attacks don't have the fastest start up. but once he's in the flow of things he becomes a big problem fairly quickly.

Davy's fighting style seems to be an "ebb & Flow" type of fighting style, starting out afar, and midcombo he gets close, and potentially knocks them away at the end of the combo. his standard attacks would implement standard Staff wielding attacks and kicks, but would also include other objects that you could find on a ship! his grabs and normal attacks would include smacking you with a Lifesaver, a fishing pole, or an Anchor, Opening sails, maybe catch you with a net, who knows what he'll throw at you!
Mobility is strange, but effective for Davy, he has a double jump, but no air dash, his walking is relatively slow, and his dashing is as well.

His Living weapon, Grolvar, can create small bodies of water that it can move at will. he can bring it towards it, push it away from him, etc. he also uses anchors and lifesavers during his grabs and a few specials.

but What set's Davy apart from any other character is his "stance", where if you do his "Crow's Nest" special, he does a hand-stand on Grolvar, and from here it depends on what you do next. following up on it with an attack or even jumping off of it will get you around the stage in a jiffy!
Stance

Crow's Nest
:B:
(hold) :F::P:
Davy lunges forward sticking the bladed part of his Living Weapon in the ground (no hitbox), then hoist's himself up on top of his weapon, standing on his hands, from here there are MANY options he can do.
Cancel
:D:
He pulls Grolvar out of the ground and falls down, he can do jumping attacks from here.

Fall Back
:B:
falls backwards back to the ground, just think his start up animation backwards. this should be used if you have to play defensively.
(I feel like i should get rid of this, but i'll leave it here to get opinions on it. :/)

Sail Ahead
:F:
falls forward, this could be used to cross-up supposedly.

Flying Crow
:UB:, :U:, or :UF:
cancels into a jump. can be a decent offensive option. he cannot double jump if he does this.
Life slayer
:LP:
Davy drops downward and slams a Lifesaver around thier body, causing them to stagger,

Ahoy!
:MP:
Davy falls backwards, and forces Grolvar upward to hit in front of it, this hits mid, but deals decent blockstun.

Full Swing
:HP:
Davy Hops up a little to pull Grolvar out and full on swings it at his opponent, hits high and has farely decent range, but has a bit of a slow start-up.
Down Draft
:LK:
he falls back down and kicks the base of Grolvar toward the opponent, this is a low hit, and it causes the opponent to be knocked back, can be combo'd out of.

On Deck!
:MK:
Davy falls forward and lands on top of his opponent, this is an overhead that causes a ground bounce.

Walk the Plank
:HK:
falls forward and swings Grolvar over his head onto the ground, longest range out of them all, but hits mid, (looks similar to BB's Giant step, to give you reference to his range.)
i imagine that he is immune to low attacks from this pose, but what's the downside to this you may ask? well. he can't block in this stance, he has to cancel out of it if he's going to defend himself, and if the attack is blocked, he has a bit of extra frames at the end of the hit.

Special Moves

Undertow
:B::B::P: (air OK)
If Davy has hit the opponent, he can do this to bring them closer to him. this should be used if after a hit confirm to possibly extend into a combo,

Tidal Wave
:QCF::P:

Davy digs into the ground with Grolvar and kicks up a Tidal wave! making a splash in front of him.

:LP:, :MP:, and :HP: give 1, 2, and 3 hits respectively, and slightly increase in size depending on which one you use.

Ebb & Flow
:DP::P:
this is another Mix-up option that Davy has, he hits mid once, then if he presses :P: again he gets another hit that can go either High, or Low. if the opponent blocks the second hit, he gets left open for a short amount of time.

Scurvy Dog
:QCB::K: (air OK)
Davy does a backflip, hitting the opponent with both of his feet, and knocking them down, like if parasoul used her air grab. (only way i can properly describe this kind of knockdown. :/)

on the ground he gets some distance from the opponent by backing up in his backflip, but in the air he keeps his momentum in whatever direction he had to help keep a combo going.

Salty Sea Shot
:RDP::K:
Davy lifts Grolvar like he's aiming a rifle and shoots a small ball of water at the opponent, he can not use Ebb & Flow from this. but it's decent for if your being zoned out too much.

Blockbusters

Land Ho! (lv. 1)
:HCF::PP:
Davy summons his Dinghy and begins to paddle rapidly, charging at his opponent, if it did not get blocked or dodged, he will end it by jumping off of his dinghy while it's still hitting you and shoot you with the hand cannon that was contained in the dinghy. this is meant to regain your distance at the end of a combo. i would say it does about 13 hits by itself. and only 8 if it's blocked.

Davy Jones' Locker (lv.1)
:DP::KK:
Davy submerges below the surface and attempts to attack from below, spinning rapidly feet first and using Grolvar as a propeller. hits low, so fairly simple way to block.

S.S. Salvation (lv. 3)
Crow's Nest :>: :QCB::PP:
Davy jumps backwards and lands on his ship which he brought back with his selfish use of Grolvar's power over the water. then assaults his opponent with cannons and machine guns mounted onto it. (honestly it doesn't make as much sense as i want it to. but it was a really good idea for a level 3 blockbuster. if you have a better one, let me know!)

well. there he is. i really hope i did a good job. this took way too long than it should have. and i may draw Davy and Grolvar, not very good at drawing. :S

let me know what you think! is he overpowered? underpowered? perfect? horrible? meh? ideas of your own?
(#anxiety)

EDIT: Race Change! he is no longer a dog feral and is now a Dagonian! fixed up appearence and lore to depict as such, also adjusted fighting style to be more "Sailor...y." now with anchors, sails, lifesavers, and more! (i am trying to think of other items to give him, but can't come up with any more right now.)

Last edited:
I'm a little iffy about this character right off the bat because you used the word Furry and the way you describe his appearance heavily implies that he's the type of character to be featured on FurAffinity. You see, there is a good way and a bad way to handle anthropomorphic animal people.

Here are some good examples: Ferals from Skullgirls, Blacksad the noir comic, and the dog aliens from Redline.
Here are some bad examples: That fox person NPC in the River King Casino, and anything on FurAffinity

I'm not saying that it's wrong for you to like that sort of thing, I'm just saying that there are no "Furries" in Skullgirls. That's my two cents about his appearance. I haven't read his story yet.

Here are some more examples using the Skullgirls NPCs.
Snow Leopard Girl.png
Racoon Duo.png
Yellow Furry.png
Brown Furry.png
Do you see the differences? Sorry this is just me ranting about how Ferals and Furries are not the same thing.
One fits in Skullgirls, the other belongs on DeviantArt. One is cool looking, the other makes me want to vomit.

the only difference I can see is the top ones wear shoes and the bottome ones dont.

Well you obviously don't know anything about anything.

I was making a joke about clothes as a design choice. I do get what you mean though. and really, the half-human/half-animal hybrid thing seems to be more of a delivery sort of thing, not the design choices.

like, the 2 on the bottom seem to have more animal than human, while the top ones have at the most a 50/50, which I think would be the proper representation in SG-world.

a text based description in this case though is harder to go by in terms of overall design delivery though.

Last edited:
okay, i see it. the good ones do have a more human-esque face, where the bad ones have snouts and have a more cartoon-y feel than the good ones. and i think i agree with you on that. i originally went with the dog-person in the tux as a reference, but i'd say my character is more along the lines of the raccoon in the tux. and i didn't even know about the Blacksad comic. and i feel it fits the skullgirls aesthetic better than the wolf/fox people.

honestly i used the word "furry" ambiguously, i didn't mean for it to come off the way you interpreted it. but couldn't think of a better way to put it. i guess i could have put "animalistic" instead?

The difference between the two are very slight but still there. If I were to guess I'd say the top row were probably designed with the setting in mind and the creators most likely looked at other canon ferals for inspiration. The bottom row however were probably already existing characters (fursonas if you will), they look more like an animal's head ontop of a human body with paws attached. I also noticed that the bottom two both have snouts so maybe that's the problem?

Reactions: Zoljinx and Denizen
I seriously think that Blacksad is the perfect reference to use if you want to make an animal person without it looking like it came out of a furfag's artbook. Pardon my language, I'm just using that term to refer to people who draw really bad furry art.

It's not about how human they look or whether or not they have snouts and paws, it's about design and presentation.
XL%20tryptique2.jpg

guarnido-blacksad-2010-7.jpg

guarnido-blacksad-2010-3.jpg

While I had not heard of Blacksad before looking at the pictures I am inclined to agree. The pigwoman in the second picture in particular looks eerily similar to the pigman seen in Big Band's story mode.

The topic does make me wonder if there's a distinction between Dagonians and ferals. Perhaps Dagonian is just a collective term for all fish ferals?

okay, i edited my original post to depict his design better.

blacksad6.jpg
Also specify what type of Husky, there are a few after all. I would also recommend a different dog breed that looks more suited to seafaring, but I don't want to step all over your guy. Do whatever you want.

Reactions: Zoljinx
Man, I just came back from a doc's visit and I feel awful this afternoon. Maybe I'll feel better after remastering one of my old OCs (below is not anything near a complete summary and I just barely started, plus i feel sick right now, so no ratings allowed):

Felix

Felix was once an ordinary kid who loved engaging in many exciting activities: from building with Toy Bricks, visiting amusement parks, riding bicycles, surfing, etc. He also spent time going around New Meridian and performing good deeds for others so that they could be just as happy as he was, especially pretty girls. But nothing was more fun for him than spending time with his family, who only made these activities more enjoyable and gave him the right to partake in them. Born to a famous scientific father and a caring mother, he did practically everything together with them and can hardly remember doing anything fun without them, and would never know what he would do without them. The only true problem he ever had with them was living under their supervision and having a lack of freedom, receiving unwanted advice or instructions from them from time to time. But it didn't matter much, so long as they were together, Felix lived in one big happy family! One night at a family Reunion party, Felix was sent to a grocery store to pick up food drinks for that party. When he came back, he found his home blazing with flames and burning corpses of each and everyone of his relatives, and found a magenta skinned girl standing outside his burning home, sparking electricity at the house to start the fire and burn everyone inside of it. That pink girl was none other than Shockbrave (another Fan character I made, whose story is also need of remastering. Her current story is on Thread Page 7 or 8 I believe, if you wanna know that one), a popular movie star who is well-known for her positive personality and heroic deeds. She tearfully apologized to Felix for murdering his family and felt unforgivably guilty for doing it, admitting it was a direct order from her boss. Believing to have caused enough trouble for the boy, she decides to let him live and then she departs. Felix had seen this girl on the time on TV and Drama Plays, and in interviews she is shown to be a kind-hearted girl who adores pretty much everyone she met and never seemed to display any negative emotions like hatred or anger. He did not understand a goody-two-shoes like her would do something so sinister to his family and destroy his favorite people, but regardless he was anxious to one day find her again and figure out why she had committed such a crime, but not in the present state. With his home destroyed by the fire would first need to find a new home, he grabs whatever surviving resources remained into his home (particularly Toy Bricks) to build and survive with, and he runs away from society into a dark forest where no one will ever find him, since he was only 15 years old and the authorities wouldn't allow him to live alone if they were to ever find out.

That very forest had "Keep Out" signs and "Beware of Bigfoot" signs that scared everyone from going into there, and that monster who dwelled there was thought to be immortal and extremely dangerous; complete with aggression towards humans and being immune to mortal weapons like guns, knives, darts, and bombs; yet the creature never seemed to leave the forest. With that so called monster, Felix believed the forest to be the perfect place to hide from society since they were scared of something he wasn't, and ignorantly believed the monster to be a myth and went inside anyway. That night, he found an empty spot in there to build a home, and started building one made from the toy bricks he kept from his home to dwell there for his life until he could track down the girl who caused his misfortunes. Unfortunately, he was building on territory of a Moose, and that animal aggressively attacked the boy and severely injured him for trespassing on its territory. That would've been the end of Felix's life it hadn't reached the eyes and ears of Brutus and Cassius, two strange aliens from Beyond the Stars who had been living on Earth in that forest for about 20 years, who happened to be the so-called "Bigfoot" that everyone feared, who were weird in the way that the two were both stuck in the same body like two people arguing over who gets to drive a car . Cassius wanted to ignore him and move o, but Brutus took over the body and denied him, refusing to let some seemingly innocent kid get attacked to death, and he saves Felix's life by fighting off the moose and scaring it away. He had been tired of humans fearing him and his brother and wanted to be befriend at least one who would accept them, and found this kid to be the perfect one. In exchange, they request that he lets them live with him as soon as he finishes his house, as a favor in return. They help him build the house and finish within a few months, and as he promised, let them stay with him and protected the kid from bad weather and wild animals for at least 6 months.

As soon as the house was finished, they then requested that he take them to the outside world so that they could enjoy themselves, albeit for different reasons between the two. They could not exit the forest without scaring anyone to death and they too had to hide their faces from society. They wanted to come out of the forest, Felix wanted to stay in; and then his brain hatched an idea: to hide them in plain sight and mask the boy's face (if there were any cops around). He had them attach their body to his and pretend to be part of Felix's clothing depending on who is active, with Brutus posing as a Hoodie Jacket and Cassius posing as a Backpack. As soon as they did so, they thought of different things to try out first, and came to a bitter disagreement that Felix couldn't decide whose side to pick (due to being a pushover). Brutus wanted to visit an amusement park Felix once told him about to have fun, and after that stroll around town to help those in need; where Cassius wanted to go visit town immediately and find places to cause mischief like robbing banks and spray painting graffiti like some kind of punk. They then ask for a private conversation, in which the two decide beat the crap outta each other, ghost vs ghost again and pretend to Felix that they resolved it by a simple debate. It's the player's choice to pick who wins their little ghostly rumble and depending on who is chosen, would lead to two alternate stories:
  • If Cassius is selected, he defeats and severely wounds Brutus' soul and lies to Felix that they agreed to head into New Meridian to seek street fights with others to enjoy themselves, and commit other crimes like spray painting graffiti somewhere. He states that it is not enough for the boy to be freed from adult supervision, he should have freedom from the law itself and show how awesome life can be with no parents. At first Felix doubted this idea, but went along with it and ended up agreeing with Cassius, and has now become a full-on criminal because of his persuasion. Upon learning of the Skull Heart's existence, then then pushes Felix into going after it, promising to help the boy wish for eternal happiness and ultimate freedom. But he lies again, his true intention is to gain power so he can conquer the planet. Some people know the alien's evil ways and Cassius' guts for badly influencing the child, believing that he will spell doom for him and the whole entire planet; and as such the two cannot be allowed together and Cassius must begone.
Likes (though varies depending on the two stories):
  • His Family
  • Cop Shows
  • Girls
  • Building and Constructing Things (particularly with Lego bricks)
  • Fish and Aquatic Animals
  • Brutus and Cassius
  • Riding Bicycles
  • Amusement Parks
  • Hot Air Balloons
  • Freedom
Dislikes (also varies):
  • Adult supervision and being told what to do
  • Moose
  • Loneliness
  • Death

Prior to the death of his family, Felix was just a typical teenage kid who was usually happy and liked to see others happy, though this temporarily went in reverse when that tragedy occurred. He often found himself doing favors for others With few exceptions, he valued family above all and spent the vast majority of his time with them, not knowing what to do when they left him and felt very lonesome. But nowadays, he hangs out with his two extraterrestrial, parasitic friends named Brutus and Cassius (named after two Characters from Julius Caesar) and considers them to be his family and bodyguards, as if they were his adoptive uncles, who protect and hide him from wild animals and the authorities who would try to relocate him from his home in the forest. He hides from society in that forest for two reasons: So he can have time to refresh himself and find the girl who killed his family without being taken to an orphanage (believing his new family would forbid him from searching for the girl and disbelieve him), and to live without adult supervision and be able to do anything he wants. But despite his love for freedom, he is lacking in abrasive side and is quite a pushover, and can almost never say "no" to advice or suggestions that Brutus and Cassius give him and often finds himself getting roped into their schemes or plans, even if it means getting them into trouble. He also has a weakness for girls, and his inability to say no also drove him into doing numerous favors for girls he found beautiful (prior to his tragedy) in an attempt to get himself on their good side until he gets one to like him enough to become his girlfriend.. usually without any real success.

Cassius and Brutus on the other hand, are two brotherly aliens who have each of their souls born inside the exact same body that they must share, and only one of them can control the body at a time and walk, talk, and other stuff. They have to take turns over whose soul gets to take control of their brain (also changing in appearance, depending on who is currently active) so they do whatever they want, where the other one has to rest elsewhere in the body and wait his turn. Its like two people who want to drive the same car, but they can't both do it at the same because there is only one steering wheel. While the two brothers don't necessarily despise each other, they have vastly different personalities and intensely disagree with each other's beliefs and motives, to the point of getting into heated arguments with each other and fighting each other, ghost vs ghost (and thus, you couldn't see them fight each other since it happens inside their body). When they met Felix and co-existed with him, they both act as fatherly figures to him and attempt to make him more like themselves, which drastically worsened battles between the two and made them less comfortable with the others. :

• Brutus, the good alien, tries to make Felix a better person and to become a heroic figure and continue providing good deeds for the community (not just pretty girls), so that other people don't end up suffering similar fates he did. He basically tells Felix what he needs to hear and tries to appeal to his senses with reasoning, and hopes that their teamwork will be used for good purposes. But his appealing to Felix reasoning isn't easy for him, often telling him things he should hear, but doesn't really want to hear.. finding them to be annoying or to have heard them before already. After hearing Felix's story, he feels sorry for the boy and promises to help him find Shockbrave and solve the mystery behind it, so long as he doesn't seek revenge and that this mission remains peaceful. He is also concerned with the Medici Mafia and holds animosity towards their evildoings after learning of their existence. His friend Felix is only interested in finding two people in that organization (Shockbrave and her Boss) and wants no involvement with the rest of the Mafia, but Brutus targets the entire organization and warns his host that even conflict with just two people would shine a searchlight on them, putting them both in danger and that he should keep his guard up. He is good-natured, heroic, and quite nosy; often getting involved with others' problems (if they can accept his form and appearance) and making others smile, and making himself smile at the same time. Brutus is generally honorable and a pacifist, only showing aggression to bad guys or to those who may pose a threat to him, his host, or even his brother; and even then he will never go as far to kill them or inflict serious wounds. He strives to be accepted by Earth & to make peace with Humans, and maybe even become world famous as the Planet's Protector and Destroyer of Evil! But because he is stuck inside a body with his villainous brother Cassius, this dream of his is very unlikely to come true and humans still view him as a monster. Nevertheless, he intends to keep sharing his body with Cassius and would refuse an individual body, knowing that the evil and diabolic ways of his brother would put the world into chaos under his tyranny, and that he must bind and handicap his brother at all costs so that this nightmare never comes true.

• Cassius, the bad alien, basically tries to persuade him to become a criminal and just do whatever he wants, no rules or laws to stop him. Hot-tempered, Arrogant, Aggressive, and Power-Hungry; He has a lot less of a good side and walks a darker path than his Brother does, and is almost pure evil. He is the one people mistake for "Bigfoot" and frequently terrorizes anyone who dares come into his forest, violently attacking and eating them. Hunters were sent after him with guns, knives, darts, and bombs to eradicate the alien; but such weapons had no effect on his body and he killed them too.. prompting the authorities to place "keep out" signs so that humans would never die by his hand again. Like his brother Brutus, Cassius also pities Felix for the tragedy (though not as much) and also convinces him to forget about it eventually. Unlike Brutus though, he shows Felix the upsides of the incident and intends to persuade Felix that the loss of his parents actually has advantages, which greatly outweigh the disadvantages: because with them gone, Felix is freed from adult supervision and has all the freedom he wants and can do things that he couldn't do before: such as extending his own bedtime, not having to go to school, etc. Because of it, he persuades Felix to forget about Shockbrave and to stay out of further involvement with her unless they meet again by accident, in which case they can (jokingly) thank her for killing off his family and granting him his freedom. He appeals to Felix's Emotions rather than Reasons, tempting him to do things so immoral that he shouldn't do, but they make the boy feel good and he goes along with them anyway; and its often easier to get Felix to listen to his advice than Brutus'. He enjoys picking fights with warriors out of sadism, enjoying the sounds of them screaming in agony and watching them die by his hand, which to him is proof of his own great strength. Like many other super villains, he has a goal to conquer Earth and rule it with his own Iron Fist to enslave mankind. Prior to meeting Felix, he & Brutus wanted to venture out of the forest and explore to learn more about the humans (but for different reasons), but they can't because they know their appearances will scare the hell out of everyone who sees them and it might attract the planet's military forces to come and deal with them, and might finally build a weapon that could destroy them and discover their weaknesses. With Felix by his side though, he and his brother can now explore the outside world by stealth, hiding in plain sight (pretending to be a decorative backpack, by strapping is tentacles around Felix's shoulders and reshaping his own body to look like a backpack) and discovering something he can use to achieve world domination. He could start with the Canopy Kingdom by overthrowing and killing its two princesses: Parasoul and Umbrella, putting the Kingdom under his control and then slowly invading other kingdoms/nations and conquering them all one by one until he becomes king of the world; but for him, this method is very time-consuming and could take eons to fulfill, and his host (who helps him fight) might die before that could happen. Instead, he wants a quicker way to conquer it all at once: By getting the Skullheart and achieving ultimate power from it as well as using it to keep his host alive and immortal, despite (seemingly) being male. Regardless, Felix and Cassius remain optimistic that it can still prove valuable to them and pursue it anyway. Either way with a plan like this, he'd rule the world for sure! His plan's only weakness, though major, is the fact that he is binded to the same body with his heroic brother Brutus, who intends to stop his schemes at every turn.
Like a few other characters in the game such as Filia and Squigly, Felix is accompanied by a parasite in combat, and wouldn't really be an adequate fighter on his own. Unlike the former 2 mentioned though, Felix himself still does a good deal of the actual fighting and doesn't act as mere transportation for Cassius/Brutus while they do all the real work. Instead, they coat themselves around his body like a suit of armor or attach to his back and give him their powers to let him do whatever they want with them, much like the Jake Suit from Adventure Time. In some of their attacks, they can also move to other parts of Felix's body to strengthen (like making a pair of boxing gloves) them, and sometimes can even go inside of him to make a flashing light and transform Felix's body completely, much like the Wisps in Sonic Colors and Sonic Lost World. With a gemstone on their foreheads, Brutus and Cassius also have psychic powers and can use them for a variety of purposes like Hypnosis/Mind Control, Mind Reading, Causing Headaches to others, Communicate Telepathically (so that no one could hear their schemes if they are discussing any) or Moving things with their Mind!
There are some instances where Cassius attempted to mind control Felix or anyone else and turn him/them into his mindless servant, should the kid/enemy ever doubt his advice or suggestions. But this method almost never works, since he is stuck in the same body with his brother Brutus, who always interferes with the hypnosis and revokes control of the body from Cassius.

• Sasquatch from Darkstalkers/Vampire Series
  • Zabel Zarock/Lord Raptor, also from Vampire series
  • Balrog/M.Bison (Boxer) from Street Fighter series
  • Juri from Super Street Fighter 4
  • Shiek and Zelda from Super Smash Bros Melee
  • Venom from the Marvel vs series
  • Zero from Marvel vs Capcom 3

Felix's gameplay is balance rush, excelling at both offense and defense thanks to the power of his two alien friends. Much like Sheik and Zelda from the Super Smash Bros series, Cassius and Brutus can switch between each other to change modes for Felix and drastically change his normals, movement, size, specials, and supers; its like having two characters in one! Cassius is active to be an Offensive Rushdown Monster who doesn't care to defend himself (complementing his violent and overbearing nature), and Brutus being used as an Iron Wall of Defense who will always wait patiently before attempting to attack (complementing his pacifistic but self-defensive nature). But the Felix's greatest strength acts as a double-edged sword: He cannot have both modes active in the same time and its not always safe to switch between modes and excels in only one area at a time due to the time length of the transformation move, forcing him to sacrifice these two worlds for one over the other.

When Cassius is active then Felix gets an increase of movement speed, smaller hurtbox size, a hop dash, and generally easier and more damaging combo potential; at the cost of shorter ranged moves, less safe moves, and being in this form lowers his maximum health (like Vega losing his mask in Street Fighter). He also no reliable anti air or reversal in this form.

When Brutus is active then Felix takes less damage, gets safer moves, longer ranged attacks, unique armor supers, and has an easier time removing pressure off him. At the downside his attacks deal significantly less damage, gets a fatter-sized hurtbox, and not as fast movement speed. He also doesn't have the insane high/low mixups that Cassius would.
Size
Cassius Mode
Standing Hurtbox: Shorter than Average Height
Crouching and Crawling Hurtbox: Still Shorter than Average Height, about as short as Painwheel

Standing Animation looks a bit like this, only not as wide and its Cassius opening his mouth, where Felix just winds his arms:
63721cca.gif

Brutus Mode
Standing Hurtbox: Height is Average, but he's pretty damn fat and his head sticks out a bit. Felix would be susceptible to crossups in this mode because of it.
Crouching Hurtbox: Too damn Tall..

Standing Animation would look like this:
Rikuo.gif
or this
Sf-pyron.gif
(I can't decide which looks better, though Brutus is supposed to look like a bit fish-like)

Movement
Walk Speed: When Brutus is active, Felix just walks normally and has an average walk speed. When Cassius is active, he covers Felix's head in the form of a dog's face and walks on all four limbs like Painwheel would, a very fast walk that lets him go under most projectiles.

Jump: In Both Modes, Felix's jump is rather short. No Double Jump.

Dash: In Cassius Mode, Felix doesn't run or dash on the ground like everyone else, instead he hops above the ground like a frog and becomes airborne. What's interesting about it is that you can cancel the dash by pressing :B: to create a shorthop and you can use jump normals during the dash, which not only makes him move swiftly across the screen (if you can master shorthops), but also creates insane high/low mixups that anyone would hate to deal with. Wavedashing is completely impossible though.

In Brutus Mode, he forms a turtle shell around Felix and slides on the ground like a normal run, being invulnerable as long as it lasts. Normals can't be used during it though.

Air Dash: Cassius Mode Has no Air Dash, But Brutus does, forming a Hang glider around Felix and then flying straight forward 3/4 of the screen. Felix can only airdash forwards but the pointed front of the hang glider has a hitbox attached to it, making the dash deal damage to anyone who comes in contact with them.

Crawl: Only Cassius Mode can do it, and he forms spider legs around Felix's limbs like walking poles and crawls on the ground on all 4s, just like his normal walk. It kinda looks like Painwheel's death crawl in terms of animation, but with a smaller hurtbox and without any slashing buzzsaw.. obviously :P
Cassius Mode

Creepy Comet :QCF: :P: (Air Ok), then :P: in any direction: Emitting a flashlight, he and Felix both transform together into a meteorite and rush towards the opponent, and pressing another punch button can allow them to do it again up to 6 times maximum. Each direction change can be controlled and its an ideal move to use in a combo, and one of the cores of Felix's offense. Very unsafe on block though, and is not a reliable anti-air due to slow start up. Button strength changes starting direction the first time the move is used:

LP makes them rise diagonally up-right
MP makes them go straght forward
HP makes them dive downwards (if used in the air only)

Serpent's Seize :HCB::P:: A command grab where Cassius detaches himself from Felixshifts into a snake and then coils his body around the opponent, and then he swiftly unwinds his body and releases the opponent, spinning them like a top to render them dizzy (its their own version of a stagger that ignores the IPS but disables another throw) and unable to move for a second, allowing a start for combos or something horrible to them :) This move itself hardly does any actual damage, but its only 2 frames of startup and allows for big and mighty combos. The only actual downsides to this move are the short range and very long whiff animation.

Movelists, Fighting Style, Appearance, and other stuff.. I'll get to that another time. But for now, this is what I got.

Last edited:
blacksad6.jpg
Also specify what type of Husky, there are a few after all. I would also recommend a different dog breed that looks more suited to seafaring, but I don't want to step all over your guy. Do whatever you want.
not a problem! this is really kind of why i posted my character, to get some constructive criticism to refine him into a better, more liked/accepted character. in the end i feel it only helps refine the character.

the picture you posted is pretty close to what my mindset has put him in now, even closer now (color wise) that i've decided to actually delve into a proper breed of dog to depict him, and i've decided on the Kai Ken breed of dog, (Here's a slightly better picture than the AKC gives.) i feel it fit's the bill better than a husky. *updates original post again.*

his character design has kind of formed together better than i originally had in mind, so thanks for the criticism. :)
anything else that's bothersom about his design? any comments about his other aspects like his backstory or special moves?

Reactions: Bucky Barkley
@Muro I love Mars Attack, but I don't understand what you're trying to say here. I don't think I'll ever understand. Who are you Muro, what are the inner machinations of your mind?
Anything else that's bothersome about his design?
I'm going to read the rest of your post and I'll point out any problems I find.

@Zoljinx I read your character post front to back and here are all of the problems that I've found, in order of course.
-The Black Egrets are a small and elite military group, they don't represent the Canopy Kingdom's army and they don't have a navy or separate branches of military.
My advice here is to just put him in the Canopy Kingdom's Navy, and drop anything having to do with the Black Egrets.

-Now you were pretty unclear here so I have to ask a few questions about the death of Dave's wife.
Is this Skullgirl Marie? Exactly what is the timeline that these events occur? What exactly caused the chaos at the harbor? I have more questions but I need more context before I ask.
I ask these questions because I think you have the chronology and lore of Skulgirls a little mixed up. I just need to be sure before I correct you.

-Lower his weight by at least 20 pounds. At 6 feet and 210 pounds a person overweight, unless they're in peak physical condition with a lot of muscle, but judging from your description he isn't. Right now he's fat, so change that unless that's what you were going for.
Also you may not see it underneath their uniforms, but Black Egrets are soldiers, therefore they have soldiers bodies which are very muscular.

-Go over his outfit again and put more detail into it. Dave sounds like the tough sailor type out for revenge so make sure his outfit reflects that. The Navy uniform idea is cool, but Navy uniforms tend to look really dorky. You can still keep the uniform, but give Dave some muscles, roll those sleeves up, do what you have to do to make it work. Also make sure the colors don't contrast too much. White clothes and a black dog doesn't work that well.

-As for Grolvar, what exactly makes this a "Living Weapon?" Living Weapons may not be intelligent, but they are sentient. They're self-concious beings that fight under the control of their wielder, but I haven't seen anything like this from Grolvar. It seems more like a magic weapon to me. By the way where did this thing come from? I know that he got it as a wedding gift, but Living/Magic Weapons are powerful artifacts and it doesn't make sense for them to be just lying around everywhere. There has to be a reason for why his dad had that thing and why he gave it to his son.

-I don't have much to say abut the gameplay, but I was expecting more sailor stuff and less water magic, you're making this guy sound like a battle wizard. If I were making this character I would ditch the magic water weapon stuff and just make him a tough sailor guy that fights using stuff you'd find on the deck of a ship. I'm not saying change it, I'm just saying what I would do.

Reactions: Zoljinx