• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

I was thinking about how well my Painwheel install duration based effects suggestion went and got to thinking about ways to demonstrate Beo's various hype levels without UI or meters and here's what I came up with:
Level 0 Hype - No change to character sprite.
Level 1 Hype - Beo has a dim outline on his character. The color of the outline could be based on the color effect used for his Blitz specials. Think of something like an Outer Glow layer effect in photoshop. Or something like Demitri in Vampire?
Level 2 Hype - Bright colored outline.
Level 3 Hype - Bright colored outline and flame sprites coming off him (like Parasoul's fire effects when hitting enemies with her specials). Because when you get to MAX HYPE Beo should be ON FIREEEE! (see also NBA Jam and NFL Blitz)

Just an idea I had after watching last night's really fun stream. I'm just interested in seeing a way for displaying Beo's hype level at all times and not just when the pyro effects show up during specific moves.

Max hype should be a glowing effect, like Bang's Fu Rin Ka Zan.
Minus the music change and extra movement options/movement speed.

mmmmh, i personally don't have trouble knowing how much hype i have. but a glowing effect does sound cool, so... maybe? I just like that when there is two Beo's on screen and they just taunt until the whole screen is covered in confetti the effects over lap each other.

I still believe her overhead shadow should stay retail same

I usually do this when I get hit by an Eliza counterhit combo. Those take YEARS.
Real shit i use that time to check my texts.

Reactions: Spencer
Don't give up on me ;__;

We're keeping the fortune changes right? I don't feel they make headless better but certainly more fun.

Reactions: Dime
BTW. @Mike_Z Can we fix a glitch about Eliza whereas sometimes when she calls horus, he doesn't even come out. This randomly happens on point and assist, and happened a couple times when I fought dekillsage in a FT100 the other night *which costed me the game lol*

Why was fukua's overhead shadow given more startup anyway?
But, each shadow has its own tell right before she throws the shadow, so it's already pretty reactable, so I don't know why it was made even slower.
@Mike_Z

Don't give up on me ;__;
We're keeping the fortune changes right? I don't feel they make headless better but certainly more fun.

The fact that you can do decap attack even after you launch it is so great. Please keep it. I was playing around with it in Beta and didn't even realise it wasn't in retail, it just seemed like a normal thing she should have.

BTW. @Mike_Z Can we fix a glitch about Eliza whereas sometimes when she calls horus, he doesn't even come out. This randomly happens on point and assist, and happened a couple times when I fought dekillsage in a FT100 the other night *which costed me the game lol*
Er, you don't have replays do you because you're on retail...do you at least have video? I don't see anything in the script that can indicate it would fail...

@me to quote your own post? Amazing!
Am I supposed to stop laughing long enough to answer? :^)

Reactions: b0nk and WarpedEcho
jeez i honestly feel bad for mike z with all the posts he gets tagged in.

if it was me i would have gone insane a long frickin' time ago.

there should be a limit of 1 per person per month or something.

At any rate I fixed the chair thing...that'll be good enough until SonicFox deigns to respond again.

@Evilweevle
I don't mind being tagged but "@Mike_Z please answer the question I asked" is a little much. :^P

Today's Patch Notes BGM™ is the Gargoyles Suite, a medley of the music from the Gargoyles animated series, because holy moly did that series have AMAZING music!

See which parts you recognize, and if you don't recognize any GO WATCH THE SERIES!

Robo-Fortune
- Hey look, it's Robo-Fortune! She has all her normals and both ground and air throws, so here she is! Welcome her with open arms and cynical nitpicking of everything, like usual. :^)

General
- Removed non-interpolated rendering of opponent characters during super flashes on PC only. It's still there on consoles because it helps framerate, and has been there since the beginning.

Beowulf
- Two new colors! Since I already said what they were, I won't repeat myself here. ;^)
- Moonsault wolves are now behind Beowulf; also fixed the lifebar not displaying health chunks for the first 3 hits. Thanks Kalaner!
- Improved effect for Blitzer, thanks Brian!
- Added missing frame for the end of taunt and command grab whiff.
- Fixed odd bug where if you successfully hit with Moonsault, it prevented Beowulf's team from being able to DHC into Airwulf for the rest of the game (unless you whiffed with another Moonsault). Thanks Sweetyfluff!
Cerebella
- Damage adjustments:
- Kanchou 1400->1000.
- s.HK 625+725 -> 600+700.
- Pummel Horse 200*6 -> 175*6.
- j.D+MP 1000->800; j.HP 1000->950.
Double
- Monster's puddle is now placed 180px in front of Double; attack startup from puddle after detecting opponent 9f -> 4f; detection area slightly smaller, attack area remains the same size.
Eliza
- s.LP opponent knockup height returned to normal, hitstun still shorter.
- For Dive of Horus, Horace does not stop if Eliza is hit when she is the point character. He still stops if she is hit when she is an assists. 50% 66% scaling on hit still present.
- Fix bug where Throne of Isis sometimes wouldn't appear even though Eliza does the pose. Just summoning the attack was being counted as hitting with it. Thanks BDetective!
- Damage adjustments:
-- j.LK, s.HPx3 last hit (knockdown version), c.HK, all -150.
-- j.MK, s.HK 2nd hit, s.MK 3rd hit, all -100.
-- s.LK, c.LK, c.MK both hits, s.MKx2 chop, s.MP, all -50.
-- j.HK -25.
-- Sekhmet j.M -300, s.H -200, j.H -250.
Sample combo difference specifically using only the most-nerfed moves:
Sekhmet corner j.M->s.H, s.H, j.M->s.H, jump, falling j.L->j.M->s.H, s.M(all hits)->H, s.Lx3->M(all hits)->H = 9591->8088.
Fukua
- Damage adjustments:
-- j.HK dmg 750->500, extra damage scaling removed.
-- (j.HK->)HP dmg 700->500.
-- j.HP dmg 900->800.
-- s.MP, c.MP, s.MK damage now all 550.
Painwheel
- Unfly command returned to 2 punches / PP. Nobody really liked the other way, myself included.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/208610/announcements/detail/196241129535538144

Last edited:
I am probably too late but
- Cerebella's Devil Horns invincibility stops after the active frames, super cancel period 8f shorter.
- Lock'n'Load L/M/H damage 1075/1450/1800 -> 900/1150/1400;
- Cerecopter damage redistributed, base damage almost the same (-100 or so), fully scaled damage 721->520.
- Kanchou 1400->1000.
- Pummel Horse 200*6 -> 175*6.
- j.HP 1000->950.

-Cerebella's Diamond Deflector only reflects projectiles, it is no longer a physical hit without reflecting; upon successful reflect, it now only makes Cerebella invincible to projectiles, not all hits.

- Merry Go-Rilla no longer strike invincible during startup

Bella should get Filia's airdash, Valentine's grounddash and Fortune's DP for these.

But seriously, it's not like everyone is complaining about how Bella is ridiculously overpowered right now and everyone in the online plays her.

Edit: I just tested and as final chain s.LP(2), c.MK, f.HP, excelebella does 100 more damage than s.LP(2), s.MP, s.HK, cerecopter. And of course it gives more meter. So using excellebella in combos is always better than using cerecopter. How is this even possible?

Last edited:
The thing that happens with throne also happens with dive kick chicken man apparently.

@Slyzor man what? lol

Hmm, not sure why Cerebella j.HP or Pummel Horse damage was reduced, the other ones make sense to me.

But seriously, it's not like everyone is complaining about how Bella is ridiculously overpowered right now and everyone in the online plays her.
Because those things have always been very closely related to the changes I decided to make in the past?
I mean, for the opposite case you could cite other things like 4 Bellas in top 4 at Evo 2014, or how she has pretty much every option available (including options no other character in the game has) like a projectile reflect / 4f invincible command throw / DP / AA grab / armor / sliding knockdown AND stagger / etc, or how LnL is still considered one of the best assists, or how she was one of the few characters that still had a solo 2-bar 100%...but you chose to go with "nobody online is complaining about her."

Edit: I just tested and as final chain s.LP(2), c.MK, f.HP, excelebella does 100 more damage than s.LP(2), s.MP, s.HK, cerecopter. And of course it gives more meter. So using excellebella in combos is always better than using cerecopter. How is this even possible?
Except c.MK->F+HP->Copter does more than both of those, since Copter does more damage both unscaled and fully scaled, and thus is always the choice for damage, which is why Excella gives more meter. At least compare them using the same chain...and while I'm at it s.LPx2->s.MP->s.HP does more than s.LPx2->s.MP->s.HK, too, because s.HK is easier...

Would you like to try that post again with less hyperbole?

Hmm, not sure why Cerebella j.HP or Pummel Horse damage was reduced, the other ones make sense to me.
There is a reason for everything! :^)

Last edited:
Except c.MK->F+HP->Copter does more than both of those

Yes, but you can do it only in the corner.

how she has pretty much every option available (including options no other character in the game has) like a projectile reflect / 4f invincible command throw / DP / AA grab / armor / sliding knockdown AND stagger

She is slow, so she should have more options to compensate that fact.

Edit: and her DP and AA grab don't have a lot of use anyways.

Last edited:
She is slow, so she should have more options to compensate that fact.
Tumbling Run is as fast as Val's dash, and armored. s.LP/c.LP/j.LP are 6f, and her command throw is 4f. Even her actual dash's movement part is faster than Filia's. She hasn't got an airdash, but she is faster in every meaningful sense than Painwheel, Squigly, Eliza, Big Band, Peacock, and Parasoul. All of whom have fewer options and most of whom do less damage.

I'm not arguing that she shouldn't have extra options, which is why you'll note she still has all of them. As well as the most damaging Lv1 super in the entire game. Complaining about losing like 1-1.5k damage at maximum on super optimized stuff for a character that has pretty much everything AND whose average damage is STILL the highest in the game is a little hard to swallow.

I mean, I'm not actually arguing at all. This is how it is because this is how I would like the experiment* to be. I am explaining the reasoning behind it.

* Remember it's an experiment.

I guess losing 1k damage in combo is okay but this MGR change really hurts.

Btw thanks for spending your time on this. Not a lot of devs do that.

Btw, I think slamming the opponent onto the chair with beo should build hype because that just makes a lot of sense.

i'm grad that robo-fortune released in the beta.
but why is her hk overhead?
it seems like high and causes slidedown.

I guess losing 1k damage in combo is okay but this MGR change really hurts.
Why, aside from being able to react to supers post flash when you did it from far away vs wakeup, or as a ghetto DP? Since those are the two reasons she lost it.
Do note that because she no longer has a hitbox on her arm pre-grab, from ranges where MGR will matter over DDrop (except vs Band) you still can't be hit before the grab attempt. And you still have Horns.

Btw thanks for spending your time on this. Not a lot of devs do that.
With no sarcasm, that's because generally devs don't want to spend time talking to people who make posts like your first one. If everyone could be convinced to talk in some sort of productive, useful way, many more developers would talk to their communities. But just LOOK at the amount of JUNK that Capcom got when they asked for potential changes for Ultra...

I want the game to be the best it can be so I try to listen to most people. And I put up with a lot, way more than I feel like I should, because I know I only have this one chance for this game.

It is slow, 22f, same speed as PS 4HK and SQ 6HP, and RF can't special cancel it...but she doesn't have special moves yet so you don't know that, hah.
It doesn't cause sliding, the enemy can tech after they hit the ground. It also doesn't wall-stick vs airborne enemies.

This. It's a pretty useful thing.
She has a real DP for reads, I don't mind the loss of that. It let you react with Dynamo in a bunch of situations that, had the opponent not attacked, they would get thrown instead. And it let you set up a bunch of safe oki, which you can still do with slightly more risk using Titan Knuckle -> runstop or reflect. I don't mind the loss of that easiness either.
People still land MGR plenty in Beta as it is, in the situations that it's made for.

Reactions: dragonos451
Wait, Horus scales to 50% now? Last notes had it at 66%

It is slow, 22f, same speed as PS 4HK and SQ 6HP, and RF can't special cancel it...but she doesn't have special moves yet so you don't know that, hah.
It doesn't cause sliding, the enemy can tech after they hit the ground. It also doesn't wall-stick vs airborne enemies.

thank you.
i understood.

Though I'm sure other moves could also benefit from turning into overheads *cough* Filia/Double c.HP *cough* it would make sense that being hit by a golf club while crouching would have that effect >w>

At any rate I fixed the chair thing
For the sake of interest, what was wrong and how did you fix it?

Last edited: