• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

OK now I'm feeling sad for Mike to have to read through all this garbage. And this is all completely theory fighting because the changes aren't even in beta.

"omg sniper might be too good"

"Oh shit fukua got hit with a nerf bat pls no"

Fuck.

I re-read that sniper change like 10 times and I'm still not even sure what it does. He compared it to hail storm which is like a full (mostly full?) screen multihitting super that is safe on block (I think?).

So I can't even comment on what any of these changes do because I'm not even sure what they are.

Whatever, I can't remember all the exceptions and exclusions at this point.
Thinking about joining the majority and complaining about something until Mike changes it.
If you'd like me to list you the number of exceptions in MvC2 or 3s, I can fill six pages easy.

I've had it.

I'm gonna clarify that a little bit:

I've had it with people assuming I blindly go along with whatever people bitch about without thinking. I consider everything I see, and I experiment with a lot of things IF I think something warrants some kind of experiment. I spend a long time analyzing whatever is brought to my attention that seems like it may be important. For example, I spent about 3 hours looking at TK tears in various situations, on frame-by-frame for fastest input, etc. You all don't see this because I'm afraid of how idiotic the responses will be if I streamed it or something, and you have no reason to believe I do anything. Sure.

Not all of the experiments are asked for, not all of them stick, and some stick even when people don't want them to because I think they help overall. Ultimately it is MY decision, and I don't take that responsibility lightly.

I took my absolute best shot at community-oriented development, but this is about the end of it. If you would rather the game not improve, we can skip putting anything in the beta and you get what you get. I took down my online changelist because of the amount of crap I got for it, so now nobody knows what's on the list and any time anything is done they assume it's a result of the most recent complaint they can find. I'm sick of people knee-jerk complaining about EVERY DAMN EXPERIMENT. That's why they're EXPERIMENTS! We see what happens, and either improve them or scrap them.

If you want to help, help. Otherwise, go shitpost somewhere else. I am a human being, and there's only so much completely irrelevant unhelpful BS I can take. The community has very nearly succeeded at doing something that lack of money, lawsuits, and every other thing that has happened to Skullgirls has thus far been unable to do - making me not want to work on this game anymore.

Keep it up.

[edit]
And don't thank me, I'm not after your adulation. What I want is an absence of the crap, not the crap plus some platitudes.

Last edited:
Well MK Bomber is a lot worse now. Besides reversal usage, it also lost some usage for legitimate counter calling strategies. Coupling this with the Filia bat to the knees, I feel x/Filia/Double is a lot worse.... the ambiguous IAD j.HK Filia cross up exists but going for highs is a lot less appealing.

If you have momentum on your side then MK Bomber is still alright but I think its almost essential now to play 3s with Double as some MUs such as Filia can be very oppressive due to her low vertical reach and now non-disjointed hurtboxes.

Meanwhile Big Band can mash SJ double jump Cymbal Crash and do whatever he wants.

That parasoul sniper change in beta completely killed the move, all because of the longer recovery. There's absolutely no point watching opponent crumble when you cannot combo off of it.

That parasoul sniper change in beta completely killed the move, all because of the longer recovery. There's absolutely no point watching opponent crumble when you cannot combo off of it.
Couldn't you at least get oki?

hmmm. the sniper shot super is now actualy pretty good, bella players can't just devil horns out of it. the added start up gives any player enough time to block it if they are at neutral. overall i like these changes. i don't play Fukua so i can't really say much there except for the ground version of super fireball doesn't cause a sliding knockdown it gave Fukua alot of time to set up a mixup. the tk tears thing was like something i saw that was used for just flash/style points so i'm not going to miss it. Tremolo now hitting low was something i was waiting for tbh. DHC-ing into Sniper shot is kinda weird because of the lengthened recovery but i think it's okay... might be hard for corner combos if someone DHC-ed into scope. hmmm i'll let the actual Parasoul players figure this out. the air crumple is very interesting.

Im sure MvC2 had a lot but 3s would surprise me with more than unparryable hits and backturn hitstun allowing comvos into command grabs.

@Mike_Z you don't tell what your goal is or what you see or what you found that made you address a character or move or why you're experimenting with it. You put the beta patch out, let people start wondering what this and that is for or your goal and then either say nothing until Salty maybe about what you were aiming to do or get upset when people question what it is that you're addressing (it looks like the whining I have to read in here, sorry).

You spoke about why Peacock needs to lose assist + hk teleport but you didnt say why you think Double needs or should have invincible lk bomber. It wasn't until Salty you showed off the Argus+Lenny combo thing. The Val changes to bypass was after saying she is boring for like a day then you mentioned somewhere it was for fun. Im not sure what is going on with Fukua experiments, did you change what you thought about her?

Even if you said it be more fun or the move sucks or centralizing, or dekillsage might be right, could you share your thought process publicly a bit more, especially the less obvious experimental changes.

Im sure MvC2 had a lot but 3s would surprise me with more than unparryable hits and backturn hitstun allowing comvos into command grabs.

@Mike_Z you don't tell what your goal is or what you see or what you found that made you address a character or move or why you're experimenting with it. You put the beta patch out, let people start wondering what this and that is for or your goal and then either say nothing until Salty maybe about what you were aiming to do or get upset when people question what it is that you're addressing (it looks like the whining I have to read in here, sorry).

You spoke about why Peacock needs to lose assist + hk teleport but you didnt say why you think Double needs or should have invincible lk bomber. It wasn't until Salty you showed off the Argus+Lenny combo thing. The Val changes to bypass was after saying she is boring for like a day then you mentioned somewhere it was for fun. Im not sure what is going on with Fukua experiments, did you change what you thought about her?

Even if you said it be more fun or the move sucks or centralizing, or dekillsage might be right, could you share your thought process publicly a bit more, especially the less obvious experimental changes.
I agree, having a developer constantly post and discuss feedback is a great luxury as other FG developers don't even bother but it's also hard to see the intentions of why beta changes were made. I think it's fair to deduce that the Fukua changes are because Mike may think she is too strong as some are just flat out nerfs. Also no one likes to see their main get nerfed. I'm not very happy with Filia/Double getting nerfs at the same time (Albeit Double got buffs too but MK Bomber was very important for my team) however I'm trying to see how it's going to affect me and if I can adapt... Although in the end I think all I can say is that I will need to work a lot harder...

The change is supposed to make it a neutral tool that gives Parasoul time to get in, maybe potentially to setup oki; try and at least to use it like that and tell us how it is before telling us that it's primary use before (which was pretty much just a combo tool) is worse.

I am confused..

- Parasoul's Silent Scope is now more like the super that inspired it: Startup longer, still not invincible; recovery shorter

The Recovery is longer on hit now, so you cannot Combo off of it yourself anymore since Parasoul stands still too long. Couldn't get it with egret charge either in case you wondered. The changes to both the recovery on block and on hit are very noticeable.

Reactions: IsaVulpes and gllt
The change is supposed to make it a neutral tool that gives Parasoul time to get in, maybe potentially to setup oki; try and at least to use it like that and tell us how it is before telling us that it's primary use before (which was pretty much just a combo tool) is worse.

If it was a special move. Silent scope is a super. A gauge to setup oki? Yeah...

The Recovery is longer on hit now, so you cannot Combo off of it

For some reason, comboing off with cr.LK works against Parasoul and against Big Band with cr.LP. It seems that the length of crumple animations is different for every character. I have no idea whether this is intentional or not.

uhhhh guys i'm now confused as to what scope is asposted to do to air born opponents especialy if they are off the screen. take for example Eliza's Nekhbet Breaker or Val's lvl3 if DHC-ed off screen into Scope it does not give the opponent crumple. where as if you DHC off of Show stopper it DOES give crumple. also if you do Scope just as the opponent is being grabbed by Monster! superParasoul will go straight into her recovery frame just after her startup even though she has not fired the shot yet thus when the opponent is hit Parasoul can just continue the combo just like she did before the update. I think this is a bug... pls can some one help confirm this cause I don't know Parasoul too well. if this isn't a bug then just shoot me.

edit: never mind the sniper is holding fire because of the opponent being invincible and because of that Parasoul is doing her recovery frames while the sniper waits... which is weird cause Parasoul has to wait for the air born opponent to hit the ground and start their crumple animation for Parasoul to start her recovery... i am trying to look thru the beta notes to see if there is anything pertaining to this...

For some reason, comboing off with cr.LK works against Parasoul and against Big Band with cr.LP. It seems that the length of crumple animations is different for every character. I have no idea whether this is intentional or not.

I think we've known that crumple length bit before yeah. I only had enough time to try on filia though, are those the only 2 characters?

You know who else uses a Bar to set up oki? Fukua
Hers doesn't even hit the air

And it's so strong that it got removed in the Beta

Glad to hear that. So silent scope is going to be godlike that the changes will be removed soon hmm?

@Mike_Z you don't tell what your goal is or what you see or what you found that made you address a character or move or why you're experimenting with it.
I know Mike's a big boy and he can say his own things (more accurately than me, cause they're his things to say), but most of this has been something I've wanted to say for a bit.

He sorta doesn't have to tell any of us anything, though. He's not obligated to give us any more than the characters all having hitboxes and interacting seemingly properly on launch. We are kinda really lucky he gives us anything along the lines of communications, whether that be listening to our suggestions or telling us why he did something. He isn't obligated to justify the decisions he makes for the game, whether he thought of a new way it could be used that'd be unfair, found something new altogether (like that Valentine j.hp thing he found in vanilla that he's never told anyone (or at least me)), or simply "Changed his mind" about whether or not something was too good. He really doesn't need to even tell us that he's just about had it, he could just never come back to the forum. I mean, just look at other games. Go play SF4 and try and ask the developers face to face (on an internet forum...?) "why". See how in-depth they explain a single change among hundreds to you.

I think we should try harder to make sure we don't shit up important threads that Mike needs/uses. It'd be wonderful if we had some mod intervention when people start requesting for ludicrous things like finger lazers and what have you, and also when some joke goes on for more than 4 or so posts. I mean... I might be biased because I enjoy having Mike here, talking with us, working on the game, and getting the chance to play him once a year at Evo, but I don't want him to go and I would like it everyone tried their best to stop making him want to leave.

I would also love a stream of Mike testing, since I've been soaking up all the "how to make a game" knowledge I could from him (and other places), and I rarely can sit and watch people drawing for more than a couple minutes before I'm bored. So. You've got an audience of one already there, Mike. Hopefully that happens at some point, as I can see other fighting game dev wanna-be's like me using it to help them know what they should be looking for when they're balancing moves.

Last edited:
Eliza's Nekhbet Breaker or Val's lvl3 if DHC-ed off screen into Scope it does not give the opponent crumple. where as if you DHC off of Show stopper it DOES give crumple.
Oh, I thought I covered the highest thing you could do. I guess I didn't! Kay, I'll fix that, thanks!

Glad to hear that. So silent scope is going to be godlike that the changes will be removed soon hmm?
New Silent Scope is:
Unavoidable except by certain very long tags or very risky supers like car. Guaranteed chip in nearly every case and guaranteed hit in most cases if the opponent was doing anything at all.
Homing, hits anywhere on the stage.
-18 on block, which is not punishable by many things besides Argus from more than like 1/3 screen away.
A knockdown and a free in and okizeme setup anywhere.

And you're complaining you can't combo off it.

Off the top of my head: you can dash through some characters' ground rolls but not others because they explicitly do not have physical extent boxes, certain characters are forcibly juggled different heights by select moves even though they are the same weight and are in the same place in their animation (see: Necro combos), certain back-turned hitstuns do not allow some command throws to combo but do allow others (Elena), Hugo is crouching when stunned, juggling with certain moves when they stun does not reset the juggle limit, some supers do not reset the juggle limit when they hit as a juggle even though most do (Aegis vs Shinkuu Hadoken), prejump frames are super cancellable but not special cancellable (added after 2i), some hits do not obey the same damage scaling rules as the rest of the hits in the game (Chun's SA2 last hit), some timer-based supers give you unlimited juggles and some do not, Necro's command grab is not ground-techable, some B/F charge moves accept DF/UF as valid directions to end them and some do not (based on the rest of the character's moveset), you cannot input a jump or dash during recovery from a parry but you can do everything else, air and ground parry periods are different lengths, pressing a non-parry direction does not cancel a previous parry input during wakeup, Makoto is not allowed to cancel the recovery of her dash into another dash but every other character can, you can't supercancel into Akuma's KKZ, Akuma has no EX moves, Alex's Air Knee Smash is parryable but Hugo's Backbreaker is not whereas both are comboable, some moves are arbitrarily parryable high and low, and of course supers having different length bars and different numbers of stocks. And that's ignoring things that are obviously bugs like OTGing Dudley, Chun's c.MK having no non-supercancellable frames, Makoto having some hitstuns that are 1 or 2f longer than other characters, hitting limbs with knockdown splat moves not knocking down, Karakusa being able to tech throws, Hugo being able to ground block airthrows after he lands from a juggle, etc. Just because you don't know exceptions doesn't mean they don't exist.

It wasn't until Salty you showed off the Argus+Lenny combo thing.
Hold on. I do not have to think for the community. If nobody has any faith in my decision-making that's one thing, but if I can figure out something SURELY someone else can.
I do not consider it my responsibility to do everyone else's research for them.

you don't tell what your goal is or what you see or what you found that made you address a character or move or why you're experimenting with it. You put the beta patch out, let people start wondering what this and that is for or your goal and then either say nothing until Salty maybe about what you were aiming to do or get upset when people question what it is that you're addressing (it looks like the whining I have to read in here, sorry).
You spoke about why Peacock needs to lose assist + hk teleport but you didnt say why you think Double needs or should have invincible lk bomber.
I also don't feel like I need to spell every damn thing out for everyone, because I DO write pretty explicit notes. You can see what it addresses because you know WHAT CHANGED.

I would very much like to believe that people are smart enough that I don't have to say "look what this character can do now!" each time something is different.

Mostly I get annoyed that other people don't want to think about why something may happen or what it might do that's new and useful, and would prefer to complain that it doesn't do what it used to do instead.

The Val changes to bypass was after saying she is boring for like a day then you mentioned somewhere it was for fun. Im not sure what is going on with Fukua experiments, did you change what you thought about her?
You're not sure what's going on with Fukua experiments?
She can't do an invincible reversal into a safe super that causes sliding into reversal-safe okizeme anymore, but fireball super is still huge chip and safe on block. She does slightly less damage in shadow combos and less off her easiest confirm tool. She still has a reversal H drill, she still has a safe on block L drill, shadows are still safe on block but you have more of an opportunity to hit her before they come out since she basically can't block until they're going to hit you. She lost her extremely good reversal-safe oki loop back into itself, but otherwise can still do everything she used to except she has to make some more careful choices about what to do when.
All of which is pretty obvious from what the changes are, I think...

Most experiments are either to remove some go-to option that covers multiple situations, to make an under-used move more useful, or to make a character more fun.

Filia is a good example. @ashxu said she was "kneecapped", so let's take a look:
- j.HK is no longer an overhead. It still dodges throws and lots of ground moves, it's still 13f, safe on block and easily comboable off of, and it can still be a crossup after an IAD, and it can still be airdash cancelled for mixups afterward.
- IAD j.LK is now a reliable overhead that is exactly the same speed as instant j.HK was and will hit every character crouching, but will not cross up and does not lead to airdash mixups afterward, and is a light attack which does less damage.
She lost an easy go-to tool that covered a great many options (fast safe overhead that could randomly crossup, led to multiple overheads, confirmed easily, hard attack combo starter, HCH, etc) in return for having to choose between two options that do everything she could before.
She also gained meterless throw conversions and much easier midscreen conversions with Ringlet, which improve it as a poking tool or in trade situations like incoming or antiair.

For having to think a bit more when you play her as opposed to just UF+HK, improved throw damage, and an improved midrange game, she got "kneecapped". That's what I deal with.

As for Double, you weren't really getting hit out of those 2 frames at the beginning of LK bomber all that often, so making it a legit DP doesn't really give her anything new. It's still got basically no reach and is ridiculously unsafe, and neither Monster nor Catheads makes it safe on block (Catheads gives a 26f gap IIRC before a head will hit you), plus it's 12f making it one of the slower DPs in the game. Removing MK bomber invincibility does a LOT in terms of helping the assist be less everything, but in return it has faster startup and LK can be invincible. Larger bullets helps Luger be more useful, but you can still duck the L version. H Luger makes conversions more reliable and encourages some non-barrel-loop combos as well as helping the assist some.
Again, all things you can figure out from the changes.

If it was a special move. Silent scope is a super. A gauge to setup oki? Yeah...
Yes, like Eliza, Fukua, that Filia experiment, and sometimes Double.

You are right but then that leaves to make assumptions on what he is trying to fix and that leads to Mike annoyed.

Reactions: KhaosMuffins
Will silent scope still catch peacock trying to throw a bomb? Im unsure of how this new change works, and im at school atm lol

I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot, I really feel like I'm missing something.

I can still TK L Toss > j.lp or j.hp and ignite the tear with it. I take it was not supposed to work anymore?

I can still TK L Toss > j.lp or j.hp and ignite the tear with it. I take it was not supposed to work anymore?

You can still detonate the tears but they have reduced hitstun, blockstun and damage compared to normal tears.

Reactions: GrunkleBarlowe
anybody that uses fukua feels that she's stiff now?

MK shadow feels terrible. The other two are fine still.

It's harder to combo off of now.

Parasouls sniper shot doesn't feel like it has longer start up/shorter recovery lol Feels like the opposite.
Oki looks good, but it doesn't seem as good from like st.hk -> sniper shot range but you can still work with it.

Makes fighting Fukua easier, since one of my tactics vs fukua was to sniper shot her when she threw an air fireball, and now that causes me to go into a crumple state. lol

Will silent scope still catch peacock trying to throw a bomb? Im unsure of how this new change works, and im at school atm lol

still works. But if peacock teleports behind you, the sniper will wait and shoot her once she's done with her teleport

Reactions: Hilary and SonicFox
So until I get off work, I can't try the new changes but here is my glance over.
-tremolo being a low I never cared about, I'm still probably not going to use it unless im fullscreen.
-Sniper shot is really really good now. Assuming now i can catch peacock and fukua in the middle of zoning with fireballs and bombs anytime I want to give myself an instant in, is amazing and I couldn't ask for more. In the event that is not the case, it is still very good as now it just seems like I can just throw it out more and in instances where it's not safe, I can proabably do mk soldier > sniper or sniper into > sbo/daisy pusher
- tear change doesn't really bother me. Parasoul does little damage so i usually just do swaggy combos with her. I'm pretty sure this change got rid of her optimal bnb (least the only one I know of) which did 6.8k, but I almost never did that combo anyway so again I don't really care. I'll gladley take a tear nerf for the new sniper. Besides I have brass H, I got all the damage I need.

I can randomly yolo sniper peacock and she just has to get hit, i don't think i've ever heard anything so great in my life

Yes you can combo off of all of them. It feels terrible, especially M shadow, but all the combos still work.

Also, I understood j.hk scaling my combo, but I didn't realize that it stales my combo no matter where I used it. Thought it was if my combo started with j.hk, but it scales my combo regardless of that. hm, idk

Also, is it possible to make it so that drill -> fireball super doesn't whiff on certain characters crouching in the corner? Currently whiffs on Valentine, Filia/Fukua. @Mike_Z

Reactions: d3v
You've got an audience of one already there, Mike.
Make that two. I would love to watch a stream of Mike doing whatever it is he does (besides getting angry on the forums). Hell, half the reason I even played SG in the first place was because I heard that THIS madman was behind the wheel:

I can randomly yolo sniper peacock and she just has to get hit, i don't think i've ever heard anything so great in my life
I don't know the change to startup, but Sniper was 28f startup. I'm not sure how much you can punish with that. I mean, unless you have so much meter as parasoul that you can just
2llka6v.gif

Reactions: agent13 and Cadenza
I don't know the change to startup, but Sniper was 28f startup. I mean, unless you have so much meter as parasoul that you can just
2llka6v.gif

lmao it feels like you can kinda just throw it out and it'll work most of the time against peacock. Sniper shot seems better in almost every way, outside of being able to do it and set up a tear into a safe jump set up, and being unable to combo off it, but that's whatever.

I hereby report two bugs with the new changes
  • The visual explosion effect of small napalm tears is still normal size
  • If you parry the new sniper, the sniper sound effect plays after the parry animation ends, instead of before/during it

I don't know the change to startup, but Sniper was 28f startup. I'm not sure how much you can punish with that. I mean, unless you have so much meter as parasoul that you can just
2llka6v.gif
PBGCs!