• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

Gotta say I really love the changes Squigly is getting. It's making things that were already possible (linking after Seria DnB) more practical and making previously useless specials (Tremelo) more useful.

Hm... this beta update made my beta stop working. The game simply quits after the initial loading screen. Does anyone knows how to fix this? Is the first time something like it happened with me.
I'm getting the same. Halp.
EDIT: is this the error log thingy we should be posting?

Mwisk said:
Hm... this beta update made my beta stop working. The game simply quits after the initial loading screen. Does anyone knows how to fix this? Is the first time something like it happened with me.
Same

Mike added a new line of code:

if (Brazilian player = 1) {
Game working = not
}

o_O'

Gotta say I really love the changes Squigly is getting. It's making things that were already possible (linking after Seria DnB) more practical and making previously useless specials (Tremelo) more useful.
I don't play Squigly, but I was pretty impressed watching last night's stream and Mike showing up her special move improvements and giving them all significant uses. Now he just needs to fix up pinion dash with a better motion. :)

I also liked the MvC2 special presentation. Of course, I'll admit that while I'm awful at that game, some of my fondest fighting game memories come from it.

Last edited:
Oh hey I just took sliding away from her super fireball, for a very good reason. No.

Her most damaging Lv1 super if you do it from a decent height. Tied with, or slightly ahead of, ground drill super. And you can combo after it in the corner.

Then you're missing out on damage, and the ability to combo after it.

As for the wraith hitting, NO. The point is that she has to NOT have an active hitbox out for a while. "A while" being like 45 frames at fullscreen, around the same cooldown as Val's fireball. Look at it as a compensated nerf instead of a buff.
I tried it stealing meter, it was honestly kinda dumb.
(It gives you HELLA meter now, you know. You get a bar with like TWELVE on hit and twenty on block, as opposed to something like 19 on hit and 30 on block previously!)

It's Thanksgiving, I don't have time for this.
With all of the Fukua nerfs, what is her gameplan going forward?

Am I missing something, or is this just about Filia being able to low profile with Ringlet?
It's probably about the latter, which now that I think about it, seems normal, I'm just an idiot. I just simply don't know how to point out exploits or bugs in this game. I just want to help :(.

Mike can you just release an art pack that includes versions of the loading screen art done by you?

I'm getting the same. Halp.
EDIT: is this the error log thingy we should be posting?
This is fixed.

With all of the Fukua nerfs, what is her gameplan going forward?
Wait a minute, you're serious? Do we have to play another round of Mike Thinks For You?

She lost:
- Super fireball sliding shadow okizeme. This one was happening anyway.
- OTG after L shadow. This was also happening anyway, see Eliza's chaise lounge and Beowulf's chair kick.
- About 250 damage on shadow combos.
- About 200 damage on early j.HK combos.
- Her fireball now has about 35-40f cooldown if you are using it from fullscreen.
- H Drill startup is like 3f longer and it is now punishable on block if you don't super fireball afterward. It was punishable before if you pushblocked...

She still does at like 7.5k midscreen without using OTG with no effort, and more with effort, both of which lead into mixups.
LK shadow is safe on block with the same startup as before and still breaks armor, MK shadow is +30 at point blank on block, HK shadow is +31 and overhead.
She still has a fireball, which covers the same space it used to, only now you have to use it slightly more smartly and mix in shadows instead of just TK H fireball over and over.
H Drill is still strike invincible and can be made safe on block with super fireball.
Super fireball still does like 1000 chip damage and is safe on block.
j.HK is just as good at neutral or on offense as it was, and still just as fast.
She still has a command throw, a 400 damage s.LK, and is the only person in the game with 2x cr.LK.

So her gameplan is no longer "repeatedly throw air fireballs without thinking at neutral" and "sliding knockdown into 50/50 reversal safe okizeme into sliding knockdown" but the rest of it is pretty much...unchanged? You can still do LP fireball shenanigans, j.HK pressure, shadow+fireball zoning, etc.

Heck, Filia's gameplan changed more than Fukua's!

::grumble:: How can you seriously say "What am I supposed to do with this character now?" It's not like you're AC+R May or anything...

This is fixed.

Wait a minute, you're serious? Do we have to play another round of Mike Thinks For You?

She lost:
- Super fireball sliding shadow okizeme. This one was happening anyway.
- OTG after L shadow. This was also happening anyway, see Eliza's chaise lounge and Beowulf's chair kick.
- About 250 damage on shadow combos.
- About 200 damage on early j.HK combos.
- Her fireball now has about 35-40f cooldown if you are using it from fullscreen.
- H Drill startup is like 3f longer and it is now punishable on block if you don't super fireball afterward. It was punishable before if you pushblocked...

She still does at like 7.5k midscreen without using OTG with no effort, and more with effort, both of which lead into mixups.
LK shadow is safe on block with the same startup as before and still breaks armor, MK shadow is +30 at point blank on block, HK shadow is +31 and overhead.
She still has a fireball, which covers the same space it used to, only now you have to use it slightly more smartly and mix in shadows instead of just TK H fireball over and over.
H Drill is still strike invincible and can be made safe on block with super fireball.
Super fireball still does like 1000 chip damage and is safe on block.
j.HK is just as good at neutral or on offense as it was, and still just as fast.
She still has a command throw, a 400 damage s.LK, and is the only person in the game with 2x cr.LK.

So her gameplan is no longer "repeatedly throw air fireballs without thinking at neutral" and "sliding knockdown into 50/50 reversal safe okizeme into sliding knockdown" but the rest of it is pretty much...unchanged? You can still do LP fireball shenanigans, j.HK pressure, shadow+fireball zoning, etc.

Heck, Filia's gameplan changed more than Fukua's!

::grumble:: How can you seriously say "What am I supposed to do with this character now?" It's not like you're AC+R May or anything...
Where do I begin.......Meh...if these changes make it into retail I"ll just have to learn another character....I don't feel like diving into specifics.

Honestly @legendary j
after playing you i see what you mean but its honestly not that bad. nonetheless i'm not surprised fukua players stopped being fukua players tho.

Where do I begin.......Meh...if these changes make it into retail I"ll just have to learn another character....I don't feel like diving into specifics.
The only difference you have to make is that you have to mix in shadows more and rely a bit less on fireballs (or place them better). And you gain meter more quickly for using fireballs so.

And if you weren't using shadows before then... well... you should have been. M Shadow is really damn good as a "I kind of want you to stop moving" move. The only change in Fukua's gameplay is that you have to think slightly harder about when to throw stuff out.

Nope, sorry, you don't complain and then when your complaints are addressed by the developer suddenly "not feel like diving into specifics". That makes you a jerk that the developer is unlikely to listen to. (It also makes your post an example slide in an eventual "why to avoid community oriented development if you wish to keep your sanity" GDC talk. :^)

I mean, if you're okay being a jerk then fine, but if you want to promote change or point out issues you think should be looked at, that isn't how you do it. At ALL.

I guess the "j" is for jerk? :^)

Fukua is fine lol. If you're really dropping her because of her nerfs even though they barely changed anything then welp.
The biggest change(for me) was hdrill -> fireball not causing a sliding knockdown, and no Fukua player seems to be complaining about that being gone??? I can still do everything else, and its only slightly slightly sliiightly worse. To the point where I didn't even notice Fukua's changes woah 2spooky 2crazy.

At first I didn't like the change to Fukua's fireballs, however, having a cooldown actually forced me to git gud with her other tools. Thanks Mike Z for putting the baseball bat to Fukua's kneecaps. I'm a changed man now because of it.

They must be hiding some super secret tech.

I can't think of anything to complain about in the beta. This doesn't feel right.

i can help you with that

CHANGE BACK PAINWHEEL'S INSTALL INPUT GOD DAMN
oh god mike please have mercy on my soul i just want justice in the world
Oh yeah, did PW people ever like, talk about that? QCB, RDP, QCT, I don't care much...

There seemed to be a slight graphical glitch with filia here @ 1:12:10 http://www.twitch.tv/superdojo/b/594086234
Into and out of preblock range, it can happen sometimes.

I can't think of anything to complain about in the beta. This doesn't feel right.
Well that is the goal...but gimmie a couple of days. :^P

Is there any way to make the air preblock animation smoother? When I whiff a Valentine j.MP infront of someone and they're chicken guarding too far away, they shake like crazy and it just looks weird.

Oh yeah, did PW people ever like, talk about that? QCB, RDP, QCT, I don't care much...

I don't think I've seen him post it here, but I think @Elda Taluda wasn't a fan of the change either. Though I dunno if that's because he just isn't used to it or if he just doesn't like the idea of it.

I swear, just change Hatred Install to 22+kk at this point.
*cracks knuckles* u got a death wish, son?

Everybody i've talked to either doesn't like it, or doesn't care. I personally do not like it at all and would like the old input back

The only difference you have to make is that you have to mix in shadows more and rely a bit less on fireballs (or place them better). And you gain meter more quickly for using fireballs so.

And if you weren't using shadows before then... well... you should have been. M Shadow is really damn good as a "I kind of want you to stop moving" move. The only change in Fukua's gameplay is that you have to think slightly harder about when to throw stuff out.
None of that works in beta. I use all of her moves and can honestly say that most of it is useless because her core mechanic is gimped.

Nope, sorry, you don't complain and then when your complaints are addressed by the developer suddenly "not feel like diving into specifics". That makes you a jerk that the developer is unlikely to listen to. (It also makes your post an example slide in an eventual "why to avoid community oriented development if you wish to keep your sanity" GDC talk. :^)

I mean, if you're okay being a jerk then fine, but if you want to promote change or point out issues you think should be looked at, that isn't how you do it. At ALL.

I guess the "j" is for jerk? :^)
I wasn't really complaining...I simply asked what was her game plan going forward. And my "complaint" wasn't even addressed. You just stated a few things that she lost then told what she could do. Which I'm assuming you are talking about on hit which is pointless if her neutral is gutted. I can deal with all of the nerfs except the recovery on her fireball. That one nerf alone made all of her good match ups bad and her bad ones worse.

Back