• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Squigly Discussion Thread

I think that's been asked before.

I think Squigly is a very talented dancer, going by both her in-game attacks and just her being of a high class background in general. She most likely did lots of ballroom dancing in life, but I also think she's familiar with other kinds of dancing styles too. Singing and dancing go hand in hand, after all!

One thing I think about a lot is why Squigly never seems bothered about her death or the loss of her entire family during any part of the game. I accept that she's good-natured and optimistic and all, but that had to have been hands-down the most traumatic event she'd ever experienced. You'd think it would've affected her at least slightly, wouldn't it? Or at least make her stop and say "...I miss my family" for a second?

The way she is now, she seems far too emotionally detached. I wish she'd been given more opportunity to be developed, maybe some interaction with her and Skullgirl Selene.

Welcome back, and why she have those things in her mouth?

The Medici sowed her mouth shut for...symbolic purposes? I never really understood why I guess it would be sending some kind of message but even they Squigly was already dead so what exactly is she going to say? Even if they planned Squigly coming back to life the stitches don't hinder her talking in anyway so I wonder what the point is even?

But she's back .... so why she have not those things taken off ... her mouth?:SQG:

I'm going to assume that Canopy Kingdom culture differs from the typical Western, so they may have different ways of paying "respect" to the dead; the Medicis held a mock funeral to most likely feign their sympathy toward Squigly's death, so in her case they sewed her mouth shut.

tl;dr it's sentimental

I always thought they sewed up her mouth to insult her, considering she was an opera singer. Her entire funeral was insincere, so I've just assumed that.
I've still got no idea why she'd never take them out, though.

The shot of Squigly in her coffin with the Medicis looking down on her has never really made sense to me. Besides the whole stitches thing which has already been discussed, why would they leave Leviathan in Squigly's body, even going so far as to so neatly fold him across her chest in the coffin? At least one of them would HAVE to know about his ability to revive her due to the Selene incident, and they obviously have no qualms with tampering with her dead body anyway. It was feasible for the Medici to remove and dispose of Leviathan anytime before Squigly's funeral, yet they chose not to because...? Why leave him with her if they'd KNOW he'd just bring her back? Great job "silencing the Contiellos", guys.

Frankly, though, that's just one issue in a handful of things that make no sense about Squigly's story upon deeper reflection (Dahlia's headshot barely scratching Squigly, Lev apparently doing nothing during the ambush, Dahlia vs Selene, Squigly being so emotionally shallow, the stitches, etc). Maybe this is just yet another issue to be chalked up simply to a bad/lazy draft from Ahad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your supposed to show respect at a funeral even if the Medici's killed everyone you still would show some kind of respect/class. Also if Squigly's head would be missing she wouldn't be in the game in the first place would that make you happy?

Why leave him with her if they'd KNOW he'd just bring her back? Great job "silencing the Contiellos", guys.

lol as if squigly could do shit if she went after the medicis

if we're treading in medici territory, she'd have to get past bella, number one, and bella has much more finesse and physical ability than squigly could dream to have at this point. not just bella, but probably the rest of the legbreakers the mafia has (LIKE BLACK DAHLIA, who apparently had no trouble killing her; why would she have trouble disposing of her now). also, her synergy versus bella's, that's a tough match already, but not only is there an extremely strong host, there's an incredibly loyal weapon backing her up. squigly's like a toothpick to break at that point, leviathan as well.

secondly, she's like a remote-controlled doll, and in this case, the "remote" is the skullheart.
when the remote's turned off (or in this case, smashed/destroyed), the doll stops functioning (squigly literally drops dead until next stupid girl/willing participant makes a wish).

not like she can do anything, lmao.

Your supposed to show respect at a funeral even if the Medici's killed everyone you still would show some kind of respect/class. Also if Squigly's head would be missing she wouldn't be in the game in the first place would that make you happy?
Oh yeah, sewing their lips shut and letting everyone know you "silenced" them is totally paying respect to the dead. That aside, why couldn't they remove Leviathan BEFORE the funeral? There had to be a period at which they put her in her funeral clothes, so why not have done it then?

Also, about the whole thing with the headshot, here's an idea: DON"T WRITE THAT SHE GETS SHOT IN THE HEAD BY A ROCKET LAUNCHER. I get that she has to die somehow because that's her "thing", but in the most ridiculously implausible and overblown way possible? Just for the sake of an edgy, manipulative gutpunch?

Also, not having a head never stopped Ms. Fortune. Just throwing that out there.

lol as if squigly could do shit if she went after the medicis

if we're treading in medici territory, she'd have to get past bella, number one, and bella has much more finesse and physical ability than squigly could dream to have at this point. not just bella, but probably the rest of the legbreakers the mafia has (LIKE BLACK DAHLIA, who apparently had no trouble killing her; why would she have trouble disposing of her now). also, her synergy versus bella's, that's a tough match already, but not only is there an extremely strong host, there's an incredibly loyal weapon backing her up. squigly's like a toothpick to break at that point, leviathan as well.

secondly, she's like a remote-controlled doll, and in this case, the "remote" is the skullheart.
when the remote's turned off (or in this case, smashed/destroyed), the doll stops functioning (squigly literally drops dead until next stupid girl/willing participant makes a wish).

not like she can do anything, lmao.

My point is, the Medicis want her DEAD, yet they know Leviathan will let her live again. It doesn't matter whether they feared she would retaliate, leaving him in her undermines their entire "message".

Heres the thing, they know Squigly is going to be resurrected hell everyone does that's why there's chains on coffins but they may have not know Leviathan stops her mind control because well....her brain is probably gone. also who would Squigly tell if she was a mindless zombie.

i'm pretty sure massacring an entire party, including the targeted family, is enough to get their point across. squigly wasn't the main target; in all technicality, the mother was since she's the one who came to have the heart, but as punishment, they killed her entire family.

considering what's holding squigly back (i.e., living time limit, technically being dead, w/e), i don't think she'd even pose a threat to them.

in the slightest.

at all.

D E A D S Q U A D

If I was a Mob boss that has a Cyborg bodyguard, A girl and a hat that can punch diamonds, A blood goddess and has enough power that rivals the royal family I wouldn't worry about a walking corpse coming after me.

If I was a Mob boss that has a Cyborg bodyguard, A girl and a hat that can punch diamonds, A blood goddess and has enough power that rivals the royal family I wouldn't worry about a walking corpse coming after me.

if i was a mafia boss who was successfully (but nearly died) evading the skullgirl and her army itself, then i would not give a flying fuck about a rogue zombie girl.

Reactions: SladetheUnlucky
If the medicis are based on the most common Italian mafias from fiction and reality, is easy to assume they have some sort of twisted sense of honor. So, when they did her funeral, even being a mock one, they did everything "right", part because of that twisted sense of honor, and part to look good to the people, people from that time probably knows that squigly helped dealing against her mother.

Now, Squigly is powerful, part for being a zombie raised by the skullgirl (and the lore is clear to state that the skullheart gives power to the undeads), and by leviathan, that is an ancient parasite with battle experience for at least thousands of years, is she a threat to the medicis? No. First because she is not interested in any kind of revenge and second, because the medicis have their attention on Marie and Ms. Fortune.

But the medicis are hurt, they are weakened, they don't have the life gem anymore, and Marie is killing every medici thug possible.

Reactions: Sparties
Well i don't know about Squigly vs Bella, Squigly does have some crazy synergy with Leviathan and he has proven to be not push-over.

Peacock is also pretty much a toothpick that also killed Bella.

Then there is the fact the Medici mafia went to the party ready to kill, the Contellios weren't there ready to defend themselves, there was no warning or signal, the massacre was swift and sudden.

BUT i do agree Squigly and Leviathan can't take on the whole Medici mafia by themselves.

Yeah, i think the only characters that can face the entire mafia alone would be Marie and maybe Eliza with full blood power.

Yeah, i think the only characters that can face the entire mafia alone would be Marie and maybe Eliza with full blood power.
Dont forget Peacock And MAYBE Big band.

Heres the thing, they know Squigly is going to be resurrected hell everyone does that's why there's chains on coffins but they may have not know Leviathan stops her mind control because well....her brain is probably gone. also who would Squigly tell if she was a mindless zombie.
Firstly, where do chained coffins ever appear in Skullgirls? Squigly's certainly wasn't chained.
Secondly, they WOULD know, because Squigly and Leviathan were actively involved in the battle between Selene and Lorenzo. Do you think any of the Medicis would just forget this girl they'd just shot dead is now inexplicably fighting against them? Of course they'd know about Lev's powers.

And again, I'm saying why would they allow her to live AT ALL? Lorenzo killed the Contiellos as a display of power, evidenced by Double's closing remarks. If Squigly's just walking around New Meridian, people are gonna recognize her and think "hey, it's that Contiello girl! I thought they were all dead! I guess the Medicis couldn't really silence them after all!" By the way they treated Squigly's funeral, the Medicis' reputation is VERY important to them.

Also, considering any playable character in the game has the ability to defeat any other playable character, it's reasonable to believe Squigly poses some semblance of a threat. Peacock makes it all the way up to Lorenzo's office to face Dahlia, and she has no eyes and arms and only synthetic parasites to make up for them. Squigly on the other hand, has a real, living, Theonite-imbued parasite, and the know-how to use him in combat*

*That raises yet ANOTHER issue: how the hell did Squigly and Lev become so adept at fighting alongside each other in such a short span of time? (remember that Squigly's martial arts training is non-canon)

Last edited:

i'd throw double into that mixture; she's just a puppet of the trinity that can be regenerated each time she's destroyed.
but she can take on any form she wants and basically possess that strength; she's definitely a formidable opponent.

Firstly, where do chained coffins ever appear in Skullgirls? Squigly's certainly wasn't chained.

120213-SG-RooftopsNight.jpg

Chained. Coffins.

Reactions: SladetheUnlucky
Chained. Coffins.
Okay, I never noticed those before. I stand corrected.

That raises the question though, why wasn't Squigly's chained?

*That raises yet ANOTHER issue: how the hell did Squigly and Lev become so adept at fighting alongside each other in such a short span of time? ( remember that Squigly's martial arts training is non-canon)

Well, parasites do develop a symbiotic relationship with the host, considering that Squigly knew leviathan when he was in her father, is easy to assume that the bond was really easy to do once he entered her body, and them, she fought against the skullgirl forces for what, days, before her mother was defeated and then she "died", we can assume that it was enough time for they to develop the fighting skills.

Is more plausible Squigly fighting with leviathan than Filia with Sansom (while some animations clearly indicate that filia is not doing much, but in others she is taking the lead, so i don't know)

But in general parasites maybe are mentally connected with their hosts, so learning and team work is easy for them.

Pretty sure Double can take a toll on the Medicis, also Eliza wouldn't need all the blood from Gehenna to do that, the only reason she hasn't taken out the Medicis is because she is getting blackmailed.

Pretty sure Double can take a toll on the Medicis, also Eliza wouldn't need all the blood from Gehenna to do that, the only reason she hasn't taken out the Medicis is because she is getting blackmailed.

besides, in the end of her story, she was aiming to remind them of "who stands at [the world's] apex".
marie has distracted her.

anyhow, squigly's an alarm clock for eliza, ayy lmao.

Reactions: Denizen
Well, parasites do develop a symbiotic relationship with the host, considering that Squigly knew leviathan when he was in her father, is easy to assume that the bond was really easy to do once he entered her body, and them, she fought against the skullgirl forces for what, days, before her mother was defeated and then she "died", we can assume that it was enough time for they to develop the fighting skills.
Perhaps, but I wouldn't say Selene's rampage lasted for days, moreso probably just a night or a little over(though there's no real indication that shows it's length either way).

anyhow, squigly's an alarm clock for eliza, ayy lmao.
No one in Eliza's story ever uses the phrase "alarm clock". This meme is fucking stupid.

Hey at least Squigly is coming back alive in Eliza's story...Unlike a certain Mafia legbreaker.

Hey at least Squigly is coming back alive in Eliza's story...Unlike a certain Mafia legbreaker.

rip everyone

I still want to see her develop bigger hips as she reaches adulthood.

Only dreams now.

that's just the gasses inflating her dead body
don't touch it, you'll make it burst

that's just the gasses inflating her dead body
don't touch it, you'll make it burst
God damn it i'm having lunch ffs.

In any case, do you people remember the lady in red dress smoking in the background at the Streets of New Meridian Stage?

Her body, that's how i like to think Squigly would have developed if she were still alive, it's my headcanon, yet again...

ONLY DREAMS NOW.

To me, they probably left her alone to insult her, kind of a "hey we acknowledge you, but we don't really care about you".
Really, I'm sure the mafia has more important things to attend to, considering how powerful the Medicis are in the game's story, for example the Skullgirl. The Skullgirl is destroying half the kingdom, and I'm sure the Medicis want to keep hold of the power and wealth they've obtained, so they need to get rid of the Skullgirl.
Here's another thing to note; I doubt they would know the different between Squigly and every other person they've shot. Sure, she's the one they give a funeral, but they probably forgot about her, because, again, the mafia probably has better things to do.

I don't think knowledge of the funeral was made public, either. It most likely was only known by the people attending, so I don't see much damage in her walking around, if people actually remember her.

Wasn't Squigly also ignored by the Black Egrets and Parasoul after Squigly beat her face in?

"Yeah....just let her go, gotta get the skullgirl anyway"

I don't think knowledge of the funeral was made public, either. It most likely was only known by the people attending, so I don't see much damage in her walking around, if people actually remember her.

Here's another thing to note; I doubt they would know the different between Squigly and every other person they've shot. Sure, she's the one they give a funeral, but they probably forgot about her, because, again, the mafia probably has better things to do.
You don't think they'd notice a giant snake dragon sticking out of her head, and have the thought of "Hmm... maybe we should take that out"?

Also, the funeral might have been private, but the actual massacre and ensuing Skullgirl was anything but. The Medicis gained a reputation as a result of that incident, one that had deterred anyone from challenging them since.

You don't think they'd notice a giant snake dragon sticking out of her head, and have the thought of "Hmm... maybe we should take that out"?

Also, the funeral might have been private, but the actual massacre and ensuing Skullgirl was anything but. The Medicis gained a reputation as a result of that incident, one that had deterred anyone from challenging them since.
I'm not sure if this is the case, but parasites seem to be regular occurrences in this world. Nobody seems to be surprised by Filia's parasite or anybody else's. Even if having a parasite makes you a target, that still doesn't mean they're stronger then the Skullgirl.
The Skullgirl destroying everything was public, but I don't see how that would inform anyone about the whole funeral ordeal. Squigly was still a secret to the public and anyone who would care about the their reputation outside of the Medici family.