• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

STEAMY GOODNESS: talk about games on steam

lol I just did that now too about an hour ago. First one is pretty fun so figured go all in.

I found out that anime Mahjong are still being made and being released, on steam. I'm sorry, but I thought these game were extinct back in the 90's, who still buys them. I mean I understand Huniepop and why it exists on Steam because of the kickstarter and became popular do to the people up in arms about it, and the people who enjoy Huniepop ironically and un-ironically, fighting over it. But sexy Mahjong still being a thing. It blows my mind that it still exists. Or I just had a long ass day and find things too damn weird right now were things are kinda still normal, IDK.
Blame Saki.

EDIT: And the new mahjong game STILL doesn't have online multiplayer. Seriously, a riichi game with a decent English translation and online multiplayer would be a slam dunk in the genre, but I guess all of the developers are Japanese and would just play on Tenhou for their online fix anyway.

Last edited:
man, i didn't get anything this summer sale

everything i wanted was too recent to get big sales (Ys6, GGXXAC+R & Shantae)

Bought a few games recently.
  • Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds
  • Winged Sakura: Mindy's Arc
  • QP Shooting - Dangerous!!
  • Fairy Fencer F
I'll be honest, I mainly bought QP Shooting for the bonus character in 100% OJ. But after trying it out, it's a fun little gem.

I bought Fairy Fencer F yesterday and have been enjoying it immensely. There are plenty of similarities between FFF and Hyperdimension Neptunia, makes sense since it was made by the same devs, but FFF feels more complex.

Last edited:
I find it kinda sad that a 5 dollar Bubsy I/II port, that's pretty much a 2 roms and a emulator, is technically a better port of a 15 dollar Final Fantasy VI IOS port. Also, yeah, 2 SNES games got released on the (or pretty close to) the same day as each other on steam lol.

You are better off playing it in an emulator than those new ports.

wsfYqon.png

Fuuuuuuck.

Bought Ben and Ed after the Jim Sterling video. Been waiting for indie platformers to go 3D for a while now. It's pretty fun.

You are better off playing it in an emulator than those new ports.

[

Fuuuuuuck.
yeah, play the old ports with censorship, script edits, and cut content that was added in later.

don't play the one that has not as great looking sprites, even though some characters are now closer to their actual art (kefka) but keeps all the good stuff in tact and added in.

like, the only problem people seem to bring up are the character sprites, and I have to ask, why the fuck should that detract anything from the game as a whole?

people are fucking saying to pirate the game over these sprites, Jesus Christ.
I mean the world map is still the same from what I've been told.

Last edited:
yeah, play the old ports with censorship, script edits, and cut content that was added in later.

Honestly the script edits are fine. Kefka was actually significantly improved IIRC, to the point that later Japanese Scripts adopted some of the character-isms that Woolsie added. I don't remember much censorship either (one or two monster sprites are now not naked, woo). And the games are already massive and very complete as is without tacked on directors cut goodies (how many more side dungeons do you need in an already 100 hour game?).

don't play the one that has not as great looking sprites, even though some characters are not closer to their actual sprites (kefka) but keeps all the good stuff in tact and added in.

As a connoisseur of pixel art, I think it looks universally worse. The player character sprites are where it's most egregious though...which is important because the cutesie character sprites in the old games was a major source of charm.

To me, the new aesthetic is basically the equivalent of George Lucas going back and adding bad cgi to the already inimitable visuals of the original SW trilogy.

like, the only problem people seem to bring up are the character sprites, and I have to ask, why the fuck should that detract anything from the game as a whole?

Maybe if we were talking about a fighting game or something, I could see your point. But this is a genre where aesthetics, atmosphere, etc. are very important. I really would rather just play the originals myself (for the record, I own both the SNES original and the PS1 version), since they're about as good as the franchise gets as is.

Last edited:
the extra content I'm referring to has extra content but keeps the censorship of the SNES version.
the extra content being an event involving a new character for your party, as well as other things.

and I'm not referring to you specifically, but after seeing the steam comments for this game, only ONE review actually had something of relevancy to say. and that can be summed up as "yeah, the sprites suck, but content-wise, this is the best it will ever get."

yeah, the sprites might not look as good as the originals, but for someone who enjoys FF6 more for it's story than it's visual presentation, I think I will enjoy this port more.

and hell, the support that Square has been giving this game since day one has been great. they fixed the always on issue, and they fixed the laptop bugs. I can't wait for the controller fix.

Last edited:
I think FF6 is the best told story in the franchise as well, but the thought of them adding new stuff (or supposedly "cut" ideas, we all know how that usually turns out, see the above George Lucas example) in nearly 2 decades later is generally not a good sign. Like I said, I mostly lean towards the originals being near perfect (for what they are, mind you) as is.

Maybe if we were talking about a fighting game or something, I could see your point. But this is a genre where aesthetics, atmosphere, etc. are very important

Aesthetics are important in all video games.

Also, people complain everything.

Also, people complain everything.
well, I looked again at the steam page, and it seems more of the negative ones are just disjointed, but it's only about 1/3 as much as the positive reviews.

Aesthetics are important in all video games.

Depends on the person I guess.

I can ignore aesthetics I don't like in genres where the gameplay is extremely compelling on its own, but I generally don't really consider RPG's to be one of those genres, personally.

Given the choice between two almost identical fighters, one with slightly better gameplay but slightly worse animation, I'd probably take the better gameplay one. Given the choice between two almost identical rpg's, one of which has slightly better balance but slightly less interesting world/atmosphere, I'd take the world/atmosphere version.

Are you really comparing ff6 to fuckin' Bubsy?
Really?

Really?
To be fair I'm strictly talking ports quality here (though I do ironically like bubsy, but not nearly as much as I do FFVI [2nd fav FF game just barely behind V just because I enjoyed the job mechanic better, but that's just the grindy completionist in me])
As of the my original post the FF VI port had
Sound issues (fixed)
Lag/crash on laptops (fixed)
Had to be constantly online (fixed)
Limited resolutions (not a big deal IMO, the original was 4:3 and it isn't advertising itself as HD, but if wasn't for the fact the iOS port it's based on could run on any device resolution I'd wouldn't have a problem)
Terrible mobile HUDs and UI (IMO)
Controller issues
And Aesthetic wise I'm pretty much 1:1 with what Squire has said so far, except for adding more content to an extent. If its optional it's fine, if it's something that just gets in the way or is so tone-aly off key from the source than no.

Meanwhile Bubsy Two-Fur is an emulator with 2 games, limited resolutions, but again native 4:3 game that isn't advertising itself as HD, and no known issues to my knowledge. Just a couple of games over 2 decades old being available for sale at a decent price. (Not saying $15 bucks isn't a good price for FFVI hell I'd pay more for a version that has options for different styles [SNES style, redrawn, ect.], only if Square would put out a working version day one instead of slapping an iOS port on a PC and saying it works.)

hey, at least they're doing day 1 support with the problems. I'm all fine with games coming out like this on PC if companies are willing to fix them as soon as they arise.

Hold on, I remember the GBA port (the one that came in the us being actually called ff6) had some extra stuff like final weapons and no script censorship, or am I wrong?

Hold on, I remember the GBA port (the one that came in the us being actually called ff6) had some extra stuff like final weapons and no script censorship, or am I wrong?
iirc it was the same script as the SNES one.
and I believe that one is more known for terrible sound quality.

iirc it was the same script as the SNES one.
and I believe that one is more known for terrible sound quality.
I just checked and GBA has a slightly different script than the SNES one, restoring some spells names like Holy from "Pearl".
There still is some censorship but less pronunced than the SNES one. Locke and Celes meeting is different but accoring to FFwiki

During the scene where Locke sees Celes imprisoned in South Figaro, she is no longer being beaten by the guards and they merely taunt her. The censoring of Celes's beating isn't from the localization; this censored scene was also present in the Japanese Advance version. The scene where Celes is being tortured by the Empire was removed because the original Final Fantasy VI was created before the Japanese ratings board, CERO, existed. Violence is rated strictly in Japan, and Square wanted a CERO A rating for the Game Boy Advance version, which would have been impossible if a game depicts violence against a restrained human.

There is a citation in the wiki page for this.

Sound quality is worse but I can take it.

Steam Winter Sales started on Tuesday, it lasts until JANUARY FUCKING 4TH.
Already a load of good deals
Chivalry is $2.50, Black Mesa is $9.50, Tales from the Borderlands is $16, and this is only the second day.

Haven't bought anything I actually want to play yet. Might get like one game by the end of the sale.

At least it's better than the last steam sale, though.

I bought:

Trails In The Sky (Second Chapter)
Strania The Stella Machine
Umihara Kawase Trilogy

Trails has easily become my favorite rpg ever after the first game, and apparently it just gets better and better. Sweetest, cutest, and funniest game I've ever played, with legit character development and plotting.

Got the remaster Homeworld, Abe's Odyssey, and the original "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream". I'm pretty hype for all of them.

I'm eyeballing Subnautica and/or Stranded Deep to scratch my survival and water level itch.

Got the AVGN game, Hotline Miami 2, Kingdom Rush and Guilty Gear XXblablabla. Already at 20 euros spent

Thinking about picking up Rivals of Aether, though I don't know when it will be out of beta.

I have brought River City Super Sports Challenge: All-Star Special for Christmas. Even if the English is broken in some places, I was so happy that another Kunio-Kun game came to the US.

Boyfriend picked me up HuniePop on sale on steam for christmas as a gag gift... I'm so mad that I'm actually enjoying it

So, is it possible to recommend a game solely on music and world alone (and title)
Goggles: World of Vaporia
goggles_logo_steam.png

a 4 character steam punk themed action vehicle shooter. The game play is kinda crap sorta, the purpose is to destroy spawners while dealing with enemies that barely feel like they are there with an a time limit . Thing is the gameplay maybe not that great but the world is interesting enough, voices decent, characters pretty interesting, and fantastic music (honestly the game is worth the soundtrack alone, if you can get it cheap enough)
I know it had some troubles at start with some characters not controlling right and no aiming ridicule but, I know they released a patch to fix them early on though.

Boyfriend picked me up HuniePop on sale on steam for christmas as a gag gift... I'm so mad that I'm actually enjoying it
well, it is a well written and funny game with great puzzle mechanics.

also the best line in that game is "mm-MM-mm I love me some chocolate"
admit it, you were grinning when Kyu said that.

Reactions: Era
Never thought I'd say this but I asked for a refund for guilty gear. I just don't think it's the fighting game for me, let alone fighting games are for me. Hope nuclear throne goes on sale.

For anyone I would recommend picking up The binding of Isaac Rebirth if it is on sale, although the great majority here probably has it already.

Reactions: Jutsei
btw, for those who enjoyed Huniepop, huniepot is making a sequel:

Huniecam Studio.

I just finished King's Quest Chapter 1 recently and I recommend it if you like adventure, puzzles, light-hearted humor and puns. It's very good.

btw, for those who enjoyed Huniepop, huniepot is making a sequel:

Huniecam Studio.
Just got Huniepop today! No idea what I'm getting into outside of a single video of a girl calling another character a "skank"

Picked up:
Volgarr the Viking
Lisa the complete collection
Undertale
Huniepop
Transistor

$20 steam card from a friend plus $5 on my part and I am good on games for the next couple months.

Just got Huniepop today! No idea what I'm getting into outside of a single video of a girl calling another character a "skank"
was one of those girls red hair with highlights? cuz that's Audrey, and she is one of the best.

all 5 best girls are: Kyanna, Audrey, Jessie, Lola, and Beli.

was one of those girls red hair with highlights? cuz that's Audrey, and she is one of the best.

all 5 best girls are: Kyanna, Audrey, Jessie, Lola, and Beli.
No idea it was earlier this year when I saw it. It took place in a mall is what I can recall.

No idea it was earlier this year when I saw it. It took place in a mall is what I can recall.
yes that's Audrey and I think Kyanna.

Volgarr the Viking
Undertale

Volgarr is pretty nice. Some clever level design and it rewards you for speed running it. A little too static for my tastes though.

Undertale is very good until you play Trails :3