• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

STEAMY GOODNESS: talk about games on steam

It's a good time for me because I get to knock off some of my bounties for "games I'd like to play".
That and I've had a complete media blackout on all things related to most of those game I got (except Lisa) so I don't know what I'm getting into. The joys of blind playthroughs.

Some games I bought recently/mini reviews:

-Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-:
Great game, of course, highly recommend it. Good port aside from the online play being a bit buggy.

Reflex:
A really well made arena-FPS, in the style of quake 3. Very smooth control and feels great to play. Sadly has a very low player base but I think it will grow because it's a very well made game, and it's not finished yet, It's still in early access.

Rocket League:
Surprised at how much I like this game, I thought it would be "ok but forgettable" but it's actually really fun and addicting.

The Mean Greens: Plastic Warfare
A cool, light-hearted shooter (third person) with fun guns, good control, Unique maps. Each map is it's own game mode. The "toy soldiers" style is cute, reminds me of the de_rats map on counter strike.

I got
MGS Vs
Deponia: The Complete Journey
Grimrock collection
Agarest collection
Grim Fandango
Just Cause 3
Witcher collection
FF VIII
Saints Row: Gat out of Hell
GTA V
Akiba's Trip (Don't look at me like that, I wasn't going to buy it but the first steam review made laugh way more than it should of)

I just bought a couple of <$0.50 games to use up my steam credit, nothing I really wanted.

Don't know how many of you know but there's a neat little game coming out on the 19th called "The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human"
The game is when Shadow of the Colossus and Super Metroid have a freakish gorgeous baby who got hand-me-downs from uncle In The Hunt.
In other words, it's an under-sea metroidvania with no combat between huge awe-inspiring opponents. It's also only going to be 10$, if I remember correctly.
I just HAVE to share this because it is FANTASTIC. It was crowdfunded last year and has a demo version you can nab here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ycjygames/the-aquatic-adventure-of-the-last-human/description

You can walk away now, but I'd like to give my opinions on it:
First, the game looks gorgeous.
Secondly, the comparison I made to SotC is less because you're fighting huge monsters but because here you are, under the water, it's quiet with nothing but the sounds of the ocean itself. On that beginning level of the demo I just fell in love; the comparison here is made not because of the Monsters but because of the space between. It manages to present this dreary, slightly unsettling setting yet have it be bright, colourful, and serene.
Then you reach the first boss. I felt that the boss fight itself felt "too slow" but I guess that was to be expected; it's there less to present a challenge and more to acclimate you to the controls and the feeling of your weapon. The first boss is also where you first hear the music, and my god the music is just beautiful. When you transition to the second area after the first boss music starts playing and the game starts to lose that dreary unsettling feeling; but it's fine. It's fine because the music more than makes up for it.

Reactions: TheGoggledGamer
Sorry for the double post but
FUCK the steam gift restrictions.
I mean, seriously, I wanted to surprise a friend and send him a gift, but noooo the gift can't be redeemed out of my region.
What a bunch of bullshit.

In other news, The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human is out now and is 15% off, I can't stress enough how good this game is.

Sorry for the double post but
FUCK the steam gift restrictions.
I mean, seriously, I wanted to surprise a friend and send him a gift, but noooo the gift can't be redeemed out of my region.
What a bunch of bullshit.
Basically so that people can't resell cheap Russian steam keys to places like Australia and parts of EU that pay much much more.

At least let friends from the same continent redeem the codes TT^TT
Japan's right there, just a bit to the north-west, god damn it

Just got a coupon for 75% off Valkyria Chronicles on steam. I've already got the game, so does anyone else want it?

Edit: Just gave it to Fumako. Bug Gluemchen instead ↓↓↓

Last edited:
Just got a coupon for 75% off Valkyria Chronicles on steam. I've already got the game, so does anyone else want it?
Same here if anyone wants.

Speaking of things we have, I have a full copy of MGS V: Ground Zeroes if anyone wants to play the demo before the near masterpiece :P

I've had this for almost a year now lol

Free or for stuff? After what Konami has done I'm not sure I even want their stuff on my library even if it was free. It's not in spite of you, mind you.

Same here if anyone wants.
Do you still have that Coupon? I'll take you up on that offer.

Sure i added you on steam
Cool added you back. Thanks kindly, been meaning to get this game now that I have a console that can play it.

I bought Stardew Valley instantly after I read that its like Harvest Moon. The review didn't lie and I am fully satisfied. Might want to wait a week or so for more bug fixes. If not you should definitely pick it up. It's a great agriculture simulation game with some rpg elements.

Reactions: Jutsei and Spencer
Yeah I've really been enjoying the hell out of it. So much to do that I get a bit overwhelmed sometimes.

@Fumako Valkyria Chronicles is now 70% off in the steam store even without a coupon if you couldn't get my one to work.

Also the Trails in the Sky games are on sale, which I've heard very good things about.

Also the Trails in the Sky games are on sale, which I've heard very good things about.

Daily reminder for everyone that Trails is the best jrpg ever made and pretty much puts everything else in the genre to absolute shame.

It's a trilogy though and there's lots of reading (like half the game length or more is pure text probably) so I recommend if you want good story on top of good gameplay, but you probably won't like it if you just want the latter, since you can't just skip the story.

The plot is also very character driven and has a heavy slice of life feel in the first game, which is for me the best part, but people wanting edgier or more plot-centric stuff might not like.

The battle system is A++ tactical SRPG battles mixed with some dungeon crawling, so you shouldn't be disappointed on that front if you like smart strategic gameplay though. Takes a while to get started though, as the game eases you into the story and challenge very gently. That being said the pacing in first chapter is fantastic and has you jumping from fun cutscene to fun exploration to fun battle to fun who-knows-what-next all the time.

I played the first installment at the same time as Undertale and liked Trails x10 better in every regard, for pretty much the same reason UT fans liked that game. Trails is so fucking cute, sweet, and funny, it melts my heart and puts a big stupid grin on my face every play session. Every rpg and jrpg I've played since (Fire Emblem Fates, Xenoblade X) just feels so bad in comparison.

Last edited:
Besides the great characters, writing, emotions and all that stuff, there are two things that I can think of at the moment that I would choose UT over Trails. They would be the shorter length of the game and that it's a game I would give to a kid.

But onto Trails. I have the game and I've played a little until I had to reformat my computer. It is definitely a great game and I think my opinion of it would be even greater if I had the time to sink into it instead of playing trash like LoL and Warframe(excuse me).

I thought the game was a light novel because of all the text and it felt like one so I searched it up and instead I found out that the localization team went through hell translating it especially the second chapter.

I'm probably going to buy the second chapter to at least show my support.

Here's the link: http://kotaku.com/the-curse-of-kiseki-how-one-of-japans-biggest-rpgs-bar-1740055631
Here's some tl;dr quotes:

"She estimates that the script clocked in at 716,401 words, which is roughly the size of 10 novels. For context: the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy is 455,125 words. Tolstoy’s War and Peace(New American Library Version) is 587,287."

"That March, Dice took a knife to his chest. He later wrote about the experience in a blog post, explaining that he’d sunk into a cycle of depression and self-loathing triggered in part by his work on Trails in the Sky SC. “A thousand, thousand failures haunt me,” he wrote. “Failures that caused others pain, discomfort, distress. Failures so many I can no longer count them all.” He's alive no worries.

Every rpg and jrpg I've played since [...] just feels so bad in comparison.

Watch it, those are the kind of sentences that start flame wars in less civil places. I like the look of Trails and I would like to try it one of these days, but as a fan of games like FF6, FF9 and Planescape Torment that might sound a bit unfair.

Just a PSA, I respect your opinion about the whole thing after all.

Reactions: Fumako and Jutsei
Watch it, those are the kind of sentences that start flame wars in less civil places. I like the look of Trails and I would like to try it one of these days, but as a fan of games like FF6, FF9 and Planescape Torment that might sound a bit unfair.

Just a PSA, I respect your opinion about the whole thing after all.

Yeah, it's all opinions and taste so it's all cool :3

I personally think the writing is vastly superior to anything in Final Fantasy, but I've never really liked FF's writing to begin with (6 is in the pinnacle of the series IMO, and the only one that I'd replay for the story/characters. In fact, if you like FF6, I'd say you'll probably like Trails since it, ff6, and Untertale are thematically similar in some ways). Planescape is rad as fuck though and easily as good.

NieR and Odin Sphere are also games who's stories I hold in similarly high regard, though you may or may not count those two as rpg's. I also really do like Undertale a lot and hold it in the same league of great game stories, it's just personally a 9/10 for me instead of a 10/10.

Keep in mind I tend to be very cynical about jrpg writing (*cue fake Miyazaki quote about anime*), and video game writing in general, so when something comes along in those fields that I actually consider good, I tend to treat it like a real rarity.

Besides the great characters, writing, emotions and all that stuff, there are two things that I can think of at the moment that I would choose UT over Trails. They would be the shorter length of the game and that it's a game I would give to a kid.

Yeah the length is a trade off. It's not something that's as easy to jump into and commit to, but like a lengthy novel, the pay off is much bigger IMO. But hey, you gotta take the plunge and commit to a lot of good things in life. Les Miserables or Count of Monte Cristo ain't gonna read themselves~

Last edited:
Reactions: ArgonBern
I've got a coupon for 75% off FEIST if anyone wants it.

Steam Summer Sales have begun, this time as Steam Picnic Sales.
Something to note:
No cards
No Gems
No rewards
no nothing.
So there's far less incentive to participate this year (For me at least)
Still though, some standouts are the SMITE Ultimate God Pack for $20, Killing Floor 2 for the same price, and quite a few other thigns.

There are a few goodies (rounded to nearest half dollar):
  • Doom for $36
  • Witcher 3 for $25
  • Shadow of Mordor for $12.50
  • Guilty Gear Accent Core +R for $7.50
  • Mad Max for $20
  • Sleeping Dogs for $7.50
  • Darksiders 2 for $6
  • They Bleed Pixels for $2.50
  • Transformers: Fall of Cybertron for $12.50
  • Hard Reset for $1.50
  • Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines for $5.00
  • Skullgirls 2nd Encore Upgrade for $10; base game for $3.00
From my point of view, the prices are great; I'm just trying not to devote too much time to games when I should be job hunting. :(

Reactions: Jutsei
I don't know if I want anything from these sales. maybe if DOW1 + expansions goes on sale I might think about buying it again.

All of oh those deals are nice, but I'm already knee deep in games I should be beating...
Literally everyone on Steam.

Jesus I have to pick up DOW.

Reactions: SkullMan and Jutsei
Hoping to pick up SFV when it is 50% off. I'm also waiting for Skyrim and Wolfenstein to be $5.

Garry's Mod is $3.
If you like anything, you should get that now.
You can use it for art, you can use it to make things.
You can RP w/ people in it.
YOU CAN PLAY TENS OF THOUSANDS OF CUSTOM MODS IN IT.

Something to note:
No cards
No Gems
No rewards
no nothing.]
Technically not true. You still get cards (3/day) for completing the discovery queue. Useless to me as there's no way I'm giving steam my phone number so I wouldn't be able to sell/trade them before they expire anyway.

Just the cards? Damn man, rough.
I'll prob pass on a LARGE number of these sales.
having a $25 thing be $2 (With Marvel Heroes) is very tantilizing though...
Also still really want Killing Floor 2...

YO! the KoF games are like 11 dollars for all of them! get those games! they're great!

I got nadda for Summer this year. But, I was able to give almost everyone on my friends list (ironically) Bubsy.
IMO the only thing I wanted out summer was the TF2 update, and even then the most exiting thing about it was the Prinny items that I only found out about yesterday. . .

I actually ended up getting literally nothing.
My friend ACCIDENTALLY gave me Hyper Light Drifter though, and EVEN THEN that's because I have an Adachi avatar, and they menat to gift it to their friend
Despite me offering to take it back they insisted I keep it.

Get I am Setsuna.

Not as good as Chrono Trigger nor is it amazing so far, but it is definitely good. Only played an hour. It's OST is very piano heavy. Also I feel so heavy playing it.

Last edited: