• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

LOL.

Alex has changed but ken hasn't

Smh.

I agree with just about everything spencer has written on the previous page.
I'll go on to say that if Alex plays like a true grappler I'll be very happy. One of the things I love about sf5 gief is the lack of green hand stupidity as an all day counter to fireballs that wasn't great, but instead give him a better non all day counter to fireballs that also works against grounded opponents... Capcom did an awesome job on current gief, and snake eyes is showing what makes the grappler archetype "truly" strong and interesting. Mobile/striking grapplers have always hit me as a bastardization of the archetype... But I guess that depends more on the overall kit of the character/how strong their command grabs are with respect to their movement options and strikes/normals.

No one knows how Alex will fit into sf5 except for sf5's designers and as far as balance is concerned, save for rashids seeming weakness and maybe chuns strength with IALL, the game seems fairly decently balanced so far.

So Alex by default should also play well in the game. I never liked the character in 3S but I'm really looking forward to trying him out in sf5 especially against some fireball characters so I can get them good old fashioned grappler versus fireball character mindgames in.

If he has GOOD AA I might even second him.

Last edited:
If the only issue is Alex doesn't have x special then you're right, the Ken comparison isn't valid. But if the issue is instead that this Alex is too different or too unlike previous version of himself, then the comparison stands completely. And I think it is the latter. People are made that he's missing a special or two because they feel it undermines previous version of the character.
3s Alex is FUN because he ISN'T just a grappler. He doesn't have to parry->command throw or guess command throw as his main gameplan. He has all kinds of wonderful tools that make him a fun, interesting, and SATISFYING character to play.

It has nothing to do with specific playstyle and everything to do with the-character-being-that-character.
Ken is a shoto: he has a fireball, DP, and hurricane kick, all of which he has in SF5. A better comparison between Ken and Alex would be if Ken lost his fireball completely, and his hurricane kick became a short range command grab. Maybe that's a fun character, but it's not KEN. Don't call it Ken.
Alex is missing large elements of what made him Alex...Slash Elbow was arguably his most used special move, and Air Stampede (stomp), headbutt, DDT, and Stun Gun made him satisfying and unique. As it is, by description he's yet-another-grappler, filling the same roles as Mika and Gief...even less interesting if they just made Air Knee Smash into a DP-alike, which I am betting is what happened.

SF4 Hugo is not 3s Hugo by any stretch, but he's STILL HUGO. TvC Alex was definitely not 3s Alex, but he was STILL ALEX.
I don't expect 3s Alex in SF5, but I do want Alex to be Alex. I don't care if he's good or bad or what, but I do care that he's HIM. And it doesn't matter if you liked the character before or not, to be able to see that he's very different.

I haven't been following this thread and dread going through 150 pages, but what do you guys think of SFV in general so far?

I haven't been following this thread and dread going through 150 pages, but what do you guys think of SFV in general so far?

Uh, shouldn't have released like fuckin shit, it's very fun gameplay wise, Alex looks like a worse version of himself, DLC

Basically 90% of answers right there

oh and fight money should have been implemented in a different way because the way it's set up now puts offline modes at risk of being kicked out if you loose internet connection. Now if they made FightMoney just an online thing where you can get it thru ranked matches and a special 2 player lobby mode where you can bet fight money with each other then that would have been great...

Also I feel if there was no fightmoney system but a "try out" thing for a dlc character that would have been fine too. Like you get to try out a DLC character once for about and hour or so (just enough time to check out the gameplay and get a basic understanding of moves, ect.) During that hour you would be able to play the character in the training room and in all offline modes, and unranked matches. After that Hour is up the game and just ask you if you want to buy the DLC for like 4.99 if you say no then the game deletes the temporary file used for the DLC character, and you would have to get the character from the store.

[but then again that's just me. Capcom thought this was a good idea so... what ever.]

3s Alex is FUN because he ISN'T just a grappler. He doesn't have to parry->command throw or guess command throw as his main gameplan. He has all kinds of wonderful tools that make him a fun, interesting, and SATISFYING character to play.

It has nothing to do with specific playstyle and everything to do with the-character-being-that-character.
Ken is a shoto: he has a fireball, DP, and hurricane kick, all of which he has in SF5. A better comparison between Ken and Alex would be if Ken lost his fireball completely, and his hurricane kick became a short range command grab. Maybe that's a fun character, but it's not KEN. Don't call it Ken.
Alex is missing large elements of what made him Alex...Slash Elbow was arguably his most used special move, and Air Stampede (stomp), headbutt, DDT, and Stun Gun made him satisfying and unique. As it is, by description he's yet-another-grappler, filling the same roles as Mika and Gief...even less interesting if they just made Air Knee Smash into a DP-alike, which I am betting is what happened.

SF4 Hugo is not 3s Hugo by any stretch, but he's STILL HUGO. TvC Alex was definitely not 3s Alex, but he was STILL ALEX.
I don't expect 3s Alex in SF5, but I do want Alex to be Alex. I don't care if he's good or bad or what, but I do care that he's HIM. And it doesn't matter if you liked the character before or not, to be able to see that he's very different.
So is Charlie not Charlie?

More like Charlie is finally Charlie and not Guile. Would've been a bit redundant to not redesign him when Guile will also be in the game.

Anyway, this has me rather worried for what they might do to Ibuki. A large part of why I like her is because she has such a diverse toolkit to do so many different things instead of being pigeonholed into one playstyle. I like all of her fun toys and wouldn't want to lose any of them (well, I guess you can keep that dumb flippy jump that has never served any practical purpose). But it seems like their design goal in trimming characters down is explicitly to pigeonhole them like that, so at this rate SF5 Ibuki may not be the Ibuki I love.

instead of being pigeonholed into one playstyle.

This is another recurring reason why I love Skullgirls and oldschool stuff like Mvc2 and Vampire Saviour over almost every modern fighting game.

Skullgirls, and those older games that had much better designers, were often so much more dynamic because they didn't limit characters to a single one-dimensional gameplan. Matches become so much more interesting when they can go in multiple directions with multiple game plans and multiple ways to surprise your opponent, then just "this is grappling guy, he will attempt to grapple...this is the zoning guy, he will hold up back and throw fireballs".

Compare Peacock, and all the stuff she can do while still fundamentally being a zoning character, to Mvc3 Arthur, who's job is to do the same thing in every match. As much as I love Arthur as a character and Ghouls and Ghosts as a game, he's simply not that fun to play, even without the low tier considerations.

Ultimately this is all subjective, but I actually like when characters have an incredibly defined role (or in LoL terminology: defined strengths and weaknesses).

It is funny you use Peacock because despite my love for most of SG, Peacock could be deleted tomorrow and I wouldn't miss her at all. She's a zoner with the ability to rushdown, top tier damage, a reversal (albeit a shitty one), and an out via the teleport. She has taken nerf after nerf and is still consistently ranked near the top of just about everyone's tier list. I would make the argument that it is because she can do a few things incredibly well and just about everything else at least decently. So she's almost certainly fun to play as, but she's pretty much the anti-fun to play against. She makes SFV Dhalsim actually seem fun to play against by comparison (seriously did the designers actually think this "tele" everywhere in lag Dhalsim would actually be a fun addition?)

I think PW is a great character design however (of course I do). She manages a unique niche in the game (though less so since Eliza) and has clearly defined strengths (damage, flight, is incredible at *her* range) and weaknesses (no meterless reversal, predictable approach, not so great outside of *her* range).

I think one of the reasons people are so down on Chun is because she falls a bit more into the first style in that she can do her thing incredibly well and still do everyone else's thing mostly well too.

Reactions: Dime and The Dave
You can have a defined role, and still have a lot of variety and options to keep things dynamic. Just because you're a mage, doesn't mean you have to be a boring mage who casts the same spell with the same game plan every round. Mvc3 Athur is boring and endemic of the one dimensional game design that runs rampant in modern games because he has nothing but jump-around-fireballs.

The best fighting games IMO are the ones where every match is dynamic and unpredictable. It shouldn't just be the same thing over and over (see: Mvc3).

And a well rounded character like Alex is still a "role" in itself. One that is distinct from "pure grappler".

It is funny you use Peacock because despite my love for most of SG, Peacock could be deleted tomorrow and I wouldn't miss her at all.

gUCm2w1.png

Last edited:
but she's pretty much the anti-fun to play against.
Nonsense, Deflector's my second-favorite move in the game. First being Devil Horns.

As for the "Alex is not Alex" idea- I think this makes sense. It's similar to many (including my own) complaints about Fallout 4- a good game, but not a good Fallout game. "New Alex," then, could be a fun character, but a poor representation of past characters. Like if Ryu got his moves replaced with M. Bison's.

Reactions: shoryusatsu999
i'm just sitting here watching this slowly burn. I admit that i revel in chaos and that online i'm a horrible person.

Again I personally feel like SFV chopped off Alex's original playstyle which I remind you did not happen when Alex was in TvC. This alienates the fan base of people wanting Alex to be in the game the first place. Alex was open and interesting in that he could fill in multiple "roles" as a fighter. I think that's the reason why people wanted him in the game. He could rush you down, he could grapple you, he could even hold his own in the mid-screen range with good poke buttons and specials that allowed him to whap the opponent from a distance.

I still can't get over the fact that he doesn't have Slash Elbow, but he gets to keep the gimmick move Flash Chop. Like why? Elbow defined him not chop. I swear...

But whatever it's Capcom's game not mine, or mike's, or anyone else's. All I can do is type up a complaint and that's basically it. Spencer if you're not bothered by this then that's allright. Let's just drop the arguments for now and go back to talking about gameplay and and other little stuff.

But trust me this is going to happen again. Capcom is going to take the hatchet to another DLC character, it might be Urien, it might be Ibuki, hell in a strange way I kinda want it to happen to Juri just to see all the SF Fans loose their shit over that. But I can say with near 100% certainty that Capcom will limit a character's movelist or change up their gameplay just so they can somehow make it fit into their game instead of actually making a game that is flexible and can allow some of the more open ended characters jump in with having to be adjusted. [Yeah I think SFV's system is limited, combos are not as open ended there is no real need to learn multiple combos that can lead to different setups, just do the most damaging combo you know for both counter hit and crush counter.]

Now i'm off to drown myself in a lake of cola. you're welcome to join me.

I'm just happy that a street fighter character has a Razor's Edge

This is true, but removing her command grab changed the core of the character. IMO that's not acceptable, and that's what they did with Alex losing Slash Elbow.

The core of nash's character was also dramatically changed and he's one of the best in the cast. Same can be said for birdie, and dhalsim to some extent. I get why you're bummed out though, I wasn't super happy that gief lost greenhand, but they gave him some cool stuff in return.

But I can say with near 100% certainty that Capcom will limit a character's movelist or change up their gameplay just so they can somehow make it fit into their game instead of actually making a game that is flexible and can allow some of the more open ended characters jump in with having to be adjusted.

Capcom is attempting to make SFV a very specific experience, and I think there's value to that. If they need to prune or remix characters to reach that, I can't get too mad as long as the game is good.

Alex's v skill reads to me like they're going to make him very counter hit oriented, so I think he's probably going to have more going on than just being a pure grappler. We don't know anything about his normals, and to me those are way more defining to a character than their specials. I'm tentatively excited.

Spencer if you're not bothered by this then that's allright. Let's just drop the arguments for now and go back to talking about gameplay and and other little stuff.

I already did. But this holds true for me too.

I admit that i revel in chaos and that online i'm a horrible person.

The wife and I rarely fight, and work is good, etc... I basically have to get my confrontational side out on the internet!

@The Dave

This makes more sense to me than most of the analogies. I couldn't get into Fallout 3 because it just wasn't "Fallout" enough for me.

@Squire Grooktook

You're right 100% and the jack-of-all-trades thing is an archetype all its own. Ryu's biggest weakness in my opinion is that he isn't specialized at any range. But that said, the problem with SF is that it has always traditionally skewed toward a huge part of its cast being the jack-of-all-trades type. In SFV it is arguably worse with grapplers like Gief and Birdie being distinctly less "pure" grappler. Hell, if Alex does end up being more of a pure grappler type, he might actually be unique in SFV for that reason alone.

Reactions: The Dave
I haven't seen you do anything particularly chaotic-evil online. I've seen some real bozo's online, you're not one.

What? Charlie had Sonic Boom (check), Flashkick (check), and Moonsault (check). All present in SF5. He even has a Sonic Break-ish thing as EX Sonic Boom. Adding moves like a teleport or the meter-steal whateveritis, or changing his playstyle around those existing moves, is fine, like I said before. They don't need to play the same exact way to continue to be the character - XSF Gief is a great example of this.

Now if they had gotten rid of Moonsault or Sonic Boom, then yes, he wouldn't be Charlie.

On KI they had discussions about "What makes this character this character?" where they looked at what to keep or remove. Sometimes the results were surprising - Sabrewulf's bats and cartwheels were axed, I cared, nobody playing the game cared; his howl was axed, I cared, and so did other people; Glacius' puddle punch/grab/bouncing fireball/Ice Lance were axed, I cared, other people cared so much that he got redesigned; Jago's slide was axed, I didn't care, nobody else cared either. I think Alex could have greatly benefited from one of those with input from people who actually played him in other games. His removed tools were so important to his gameplay that I'd actually consider his "iconic" moves rather minor in comparison.

FWIW I don't consider Green Hand to be specifically important for Gief to be Gief, but SPD/Lariat (with AA use and anti-projectile use)/Runng Bear Grab/some sort of projectile nullifying something (Green Hand, SF5 headbutt) are parts of him.

Reactions: Number 13
The wife and I rarely fight, and work is good, etc... I basically have to get my confrontational side out on the internet!
oooooh oh man you gots me. oh it hurts oh man the burn. I've been rekt. no lube.

anyways i'm going to wait to see footage of Alex. after that I'll go eat some spaghetti and play 3rd Strike.
you got me. I've been found out oh man. Kill me now i have nothing left to live for. why are you reading this? LOL get outa here mom.

(Double post for link purposes)

Let me take a stab at an SF5 Alex that'd count as "still Alex" for me...

Command Normals:
- B+Fierce: Headbutt. Blockable grab, does not whiff vs crouch block but can be low-profiled with some crouching moves; comboable-into from moves with enough hitstun, does good dizzy damage, will not juggle. Can be V-Trigger cancelled for followups.
- F+Fierce: his old overhead Fierce. (Regular Fierce is his old F+Fierce.)
- j.D+Fierce: air dive. Gives juggles vs air, still horribly unsafe otherwise.

Special Moves:
- Slash Elbow +EX
- Air Knee Smash +EX
- Powerbomb (+EX?)

V-Skill: Air Stampede ("stomp")
- Can be directed for close/mid/far range with Back/Neutral/Forward when doing it.
- Heck, could even give him DDT as V-Skill with Down, still slow, still whiffs vs crouchers, etc.

V-Trigger: Flash Chop Mode
- Activation gives the move, and then he ends up in a mode akin to Gief's where he can do more of them by doing the input again. Buttons can be held for the appropriate startup of L/M/H versions to give that version of the move. Can mess with the move properties (safeness/add or don't add armor/whiffing vs crouchers/destroying or reflecting projectiles/etc) all you want. Could make the activation-version +1 level, so any hold = H.
- After hitting with an H-equivalent Flash Chop, comboing a regular Powerbomb gives Backdrop Bomb / comboing an EX Powerbomb gives a mini version of Backdrop Hyper Bomb / comboing a Headbutt gives choke hold / comboing a DDT gives a cooler looking DDT.

Super:
- With all that, they could even leave his super as what they made it, which is essentially Boomerang Raid's use, with a cinematic. Could even make it so that comboing it after a Flash Chop gives a Stungun-Headbutt-style cinematic instead that does higher dizzy damage but lower real damage, though this is not necessary.

I'd be okay with calling something like that "Alex", and I think it fits within SF5.

I actually argee with that. That definitly sounds more like Alex. The V-Trigger flash chop thing does sound pretty interesting giving it different properties, like armor or nullifying projectiles. V-Skill being Stomp is... mmmh I'm going to let that one sit in the back of my head. It's not a bad idea... hmmm but the current V-Skill of making Alex's next move count as a counter hit/ crush counter sounds good too. Meh... Also how do you make powerbomb ex? just kinda curious...

I'd be okay with calling something like that "Alex", and I think it fits within SF5.
I'm just curious, how would you implement Urien in SFV without him losing what makes him Urien? I don't think anyone believes he is going to be the same character he was in SFIII.

That actually sounds like an Alex that still would be Alex even in SFV's 'let us shake things up!' environment. I would be perfectly fine with that. Sad that the TvC incarnation is gonna be more true to the character in comparison to a mainline incarnation when all said and done.

Does not matter to me if this new one will be top tier or low tier: Capcom decided to change the direction of the character which is guaranteed mixed reaction to those who were quite fond with how he was before which was NOT being a traditional grappler character. I'll still experiment for about a month max with him, but may end up going back to Cammy since her gameplan relatively hasn't changed much even though she is more tame now.

About his actual V skill personally find it meh in theory. If I read it right yes it guarantees next move to be a CH, but it goes away on whiff or block. Which means your gonna have to be lucky on opponent wakeup to get any meaningful award off it. Also there is the chance that even if you do land the hit it would have been a confirmed a CH anyway which further devalues the V skill gimmick. It might even be R Mika mic tier bad in terms of reward return. Hope I'm wrong for his sake, but much rather the V skill be an actual move then a minor passive buff that goes fast.

What? Charlie had Sonic Boom (check), Flashkick (check), and Moonsault (check). All present in SF5. He even has a Sonic Break-ish thing as EX Sonic Boom. Adding moves like a teleport or the meter-steal whateveritis, or changing his playstyle around those existing moves, is fine, like I said before. They don't need to play the same exact way to continue to be the character - XSF Gief is a great example of this.

Now if they had gotten rid of Moonsault or Sonic Boom, then yes, he wouldn't be Charlie.

On KI they had discussions about "What makes this character this character?" where they looked at what to keep or remove. Sometimes the results were surprising - Sabrewulf's bats and cartwheels were axed, I cared, nobody playing the game cared; his howl was axed, I cared, and so did other people; Glacius' puddle punch/grab/bouncing fireball/Ice Lance were axed, I cared, other people cared so much that he got redesigned; Jago's slide was axed, I didn't care, nobody else cared either. I think Alex could have greatly benefited from one of those with input from people who actually played him in other games. His removed tools were so important to his gameplay that I'd actually consider his "iconic" moves rather minor in comparison.

FWIW I don't consider Green Hand to be specifically important for Gief to be Gief, but SPD/Lariat (with AA use and anti-projectile use)/Runng Bear Grab/some sort of projectile nullifying something (Green Hand, SF5 headbutt) are parts of him.
So do moves make the character? (like literally yeah but you know what I mean)

Like this is super duper subjective (as you know) because I do consider banishing flat to be an iconic gief thing.

I also do think that Nash has gone through a radical enough change to be considered "not charlie".

Like is anyone who played Karin in the past benefiting from their past knowledge with her in 5? No, I can tell you as someone who played Karin in the past that they're not.

My friend who mained Alex back in the day has been nothing but excited for new Alex while new Karin was so different that I now play Laura.

Is it mechanical? Aesthetic? Intangible?

Like if there was a new Vsav and Bulleta played the same but had a different personality that would not be Bulleta to me.

For me it is almost 100% about the aesthetic.

Honest to god, SG II (1v1 edition :P ) comes out and it is written that PW has lost her wheel and thus a huge number of her moves + her ability to fly... I'm still playing her with no complaints (well with normal complainwheel complaints).

For me it is almost 100% about the aesthetic.

Honest to god, SG II (1v1 edition :P ) comes out and it is written that PW has lost her wheel and thus a huge number of her moves + her ability to fly... I'm still playing her with no complaints (well with normal complainwheel complaints).

But then you'd (and by that I mean me and other people) wonder why the FUCK Lab Zero would go to lengths to COMPLETELY ALTER an established character, instead of working with the CURRENT ABILITIES PRESENTED to evolve the character into something at the very least fresh feeling. That's not a problem to other SfV characters since they didn't lose most of their abilities, their abilities were built upon. Alex's were cut for the sake of streamlining the game to appeal to casual audiences, which ironically, in my opinion, changing him from a multi-style character to a grappler makes him LESS casual friendly, as people who could easily adapt to his rushdown or poke style CAN'T anymore.

also I wonder if Machine Gun Flash Chop (or "Flash Gatling" as I like to call it) is back...

Alex's were cut for the sake of streamlining the game to appeal to casual audiences

This is the thing I keep taking exception to. Hate on the character design all you want, but this claim is unsubstantiated. Maybe you're right, but you're wrong... but we have zero idea why they decided to axe certain moves. Especially, as you point out, since it might make him even less casual friendly.

So do moves make the character? (like literally yeah but you know what I mean)
Their use, yeah.

Like this is super duper subjective (as you know) because I do consider banishing flat to be an iconic gief thing.
I guess I don't because I played him in A2, SFEX+@ and XSF/MSF, where either he didn't have the move or it wasn't useful.

I also do think that Nash has gone through a radical enough change to be considered "not charlie".
I agree from an aesthetic point of view, but from a moves standpoint, nah he's still Charlie.

Like is anyone who played Karin in the past benefiting from their past knowledge with her in 5? No, I can tell you as someone who played Karin in the past that they're not.
Karin is also an Alex-level botch translation, though. I don't think SF5 Karin is Karin at all either. :^P But I'm a bigger fan of Alex, so Alex bothered me more.

Is it mechanical? Aesthetic? Intangible?
For me it comes down to play style. If I can't play the character in the STYLE they were designed for in other games, they aren't the same character to me. And Alex isn't a hybrid grappler anymore, he's just-a-grappler.

I don't care at all about the personality of the characters, and I only sort of care about the visuals. I think how Alex looks is not great, but that has nothing to do with making him Alex or not. Silence of the Lambs Charlie doesn't bother me (I don't like the look but that's irrelevant), just like if Capcom had decided to make the SF4 Mecha Zangief skin canon that wouldn't have bothered me either.

This would be some pretty metaphysical shit going on right now if you didn't know this was about a video game

I see this "not the same thing regardless of the name" discussion and remembers the years i went on saying RE 4-5-6 can have the name and be great games, but they AREN'T Resident Evil.

i'd argue that RE4 is more resident evil than 3 but this is neither the place nor the time

Geez, i noticed from footage that Vega's Flying Barcelona Attack had a terrible hitbox in this game, but I didn't think it was this bad! His hurtbox extends twice as far down as the hitbox.
vega_by_eish-d9v0kxa.jpg

Reactions: Aden
WHY ISN'T THIS INFORMATION AVAILIABLE IN TRAINING MODE?!?!?!

You poor person you... You think Capcom will ever give that stuff out to you... there is no hope for you there. There is no god.
If you're going to smack Capcom for it then you better smack other Japanese companies as well. It's rare that any of them do it. It's pretty stupid but it seems to be just what they do.

If you're going to smack Capcom for it then you better smack other Japanese companies as well. It's rare that any of them do it. It's pretty stupid but it seems to be just what they do.

Not only is it rare, didn't Arcsys or French Bread issue a Cease and Desist letter for showing hitboxes?

Really outside of SG, I don't think I've played a fighter that shows hitboxes. There seems to be the misguided belief that giving this data out freely will cause a game to get stale more quickly. I hope that SG has shaken that up a bit since games actually get more interesting when you have access to all of the data.

@Agent York

It is definitely punishable, but it is still surprisingly hard to punish since Vega gets full control over where he's going to end up and when he extends his hurtbox ie when he attempts a move. If Vega's try to win their games with it, they're going to get murdered... but used as part of a smart offensive, it is still super strong. Check out Graham Wolfe's Vega. He gets away with it against some of the best in the world.

Maximillian agreeing with Mike on some points...

It is definitely punishable, but it is still surprisingly hard to punish since Vega gets full control over where he's going to end up and when he extends his hurtbox ie when he attempts a move. If Vega's try to win their games with it, they're going to get murdered... but used as part of a smart offensive, it is still super strong. Check out Graham Wolfe's Vega. He gets away with it against some of the best in the world.
It definitely has good horizontal reach, but it's how large his hurtbox is that bothers me. It's so large that it can be stuffed by pretty much any anti-air normal... even when you are behind your opponent!
OCd6ljd.png

Maximillian agreeing with Mike on some points...
And making those ad dollars with a video comprised mostly of static images. Here I thought it was going to be some footage...

And making those ad dollars with a video comprised mostly of static images. Here I thought it was going to be some footage...

Not unless it's KI footage.