• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

So is Capcom just gonna blow off posting a trailer for Alex
Wow-really.jpg

to be honest i really don't want a trailer... it just might tick me off. I want to spare myself the anger/ blood pressure.

Reactions: erkicman
If it doesn't come out tomorrow, I'd say "yes".

Honestly I just assumed they wouldn't do trailers for the dlc characters, I'm not too upset about it.

I never remember hearing anything about "daily challenges". Were those ever promised?

I never remember hearing anything about "daily challenges". Were those ever promised?
mmmmmmmmmmmhhhh maybe?

hell now i don't remember... Hold on while i spend 20 minutes trying to find something on that.

edit: yeh it seems like they're gonna toss a challenge mode in the March 28th update.

but it looks to be in the same vein as the combo challenges from SF4. sooooo... it might be a tad poopy...

Well, one of the modes in the challenges gives some info on each attack, so they're improving.

I think these colors that are so nightmarish to get will be attainable with fight money... You'll still need 3 thousand rounds, but in arcade mode or online ranked.

I remember Capcom mentioning daily challenges as one way of earning Fight Money.

Challenges look interesting. It sounds like they are at least trying to make some of the challenges the tutorial that should have been.

Well, one of the modes in the challenges gives some info on each attack, so they're improving.

I think these colors that are so nightmarish to get will be attainable with fight money... You'll still need 3 thousand rounds, but in arcade mode or online ranked.

I just hope they take into account the colors you already have. It would annoy me to have to spend the same amount of grind money on a character that I've gone up through level 30 (no way in hell I'm doing the level 50s... I'm never that bored) as a character I haven't touched yet.

The Challenge Mode will have four sub-modes contained within it, after it’s released in March 2016. These are Battle Tips, Trials, Targets, and Extra Battle. The first two are Battle Tips and Trials, which will be released in March 2016. Battle Tips has specific tips for all 16 characters and is a tutorial mode. Trials is a combo trial challenge, and character will have their own 10 Trials to overcome. The other two sub-modes, will be released later. Targets will have daily goals and rewards like money and titles for meeting them. Extra-battle will have custom bosses with their own rewards.
So why do people think they're missing again?

So apparently NCR decided to dump all the people who didn't pre-reg into the same pool and there's like 10 killers in there.

I love this. People gotta smarten up and fucking pre-reg.

ACTUAL ALEX FOOTAGE. My boy's still got stomp.

What?

WHAT?

Why is his theme so Funky? I mean... is it bad? No... but it's... not Jazzy, you know? It was that Jazz factor that made Alex's theme sweet. Again this version is okay, but i'm confused by the change to Funk.

Macho Man Zangief is amazing.

Also Alex's theme is just okay. The original was better.

Someone's streaming Alex, looks like he has elbow slash too.

What a surprise, Alex still has the majority of the moves people assumed were gone even though he hadn't yet been shown off

ACTUAL ALEX FOOTAGE. My boy's still got stomp.

Yeah looks like Riot Stomp is now EX-Head Crush.

I wonder if Slash Elbow got a similar treatment.

What a surprise, Alex still has the majority of the moves people assumed were gone even though he hadn't yet been shown off
which brings into question, were those moves planned? or were they stuck in due to the back lash of the first showing of his moves where most people were angered by the lack of Elbow and Stomp.

i really hope it's the former and not the latter but we'll never really know now will we?

which brings into question, were those moves planned? or were they stuck in due to the back lash of the first showing of his moves where most people were angered by the lack of Elbow and Stomp.

i really hope it's the former and not the latter but we'll never really know now will we?
I find it somewhat hard to believe that it was due to backlash. Unless you want to believe it's something they hastily did in a couple of weeks

In before somebody claims that considering the state of the game. :V

Reactions: Covenant
I don't imagine they coded, animated, and balanced an entire set of new moves in a month because of backlash. It isn't out of the realm of possibilities, but if that's the case, buy those Capcom coders and testers some damn pizza...

As for the update, the game definitely feels way more complete just due to the inclusion of challenge modes. I wish they were more difficult as I only have 3 characters left to do, but that's the nature of SFV I guess.

I find it somewhat hard to believe that it was due to backlash. Unless you want to believe it's something they hastily did in a couple of weeks

I mean, it could explain why there has been no trailer as of late.

Is it possible that was just a partial movelist and he still has some moves not listed?
I wasn't actually expecting this to be the case, but can I just pretend I called it, kind of?

again i want to state that i don't want to believe that, that Capcom had the other moves planned out and they just didn't have them ready when they showed off the move list for Alex.

BUT... there could be a possibility that this might have happened. The missing moves were not listed, Capcom went Radio Silent this whole month, these things kinda point to that idea of Capcom rushing to put those move back into Alex. Spencer said that even though it would have been tough it still would have been possible to do with in the month. Maybe that's why the update clocked in at 6 gigs that some things with Alex is yet to be fully optimized in terms of memory that maybe it's a dev version of Alex where he has these moves.

IDK... i'm going to bed. i hope i fucking snap my neck and die while i sleep.

Visuals vs implementation. i'd wait a little more before waving this flag

I don't imagine they coded, animated, and balanced an entire set of new moves in a month because of backlash.
(You don't code moves)
I do imagine they certainly could animate and implement the two missing attacks in a month; on SG that would have taken around 4-5 days including getting clean frames, and they didn't have to clean the frames for SF5 - only animate. (I do not imagine they are necessarily balanced.) It would certainly explain why he wasn't released until the end of the month even though they have been saying "March" for a while now, and it would also explain why they weren't mentioned in earlier overviews. Patches are only tested minimally, and are deployed by the company, so the approval process probably could have been pushed through in 3-4 days as well. That's a total of 7-10 days, which gives at least a week or ten days for balance testing and tweaks and effects. And tuning would also be happening during implementation. That's completely doable.

If I were at Capcom and the reaction had been what it was, I would have pushed for that, because they can't really afford any more negative publicity.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but as a developer cynicism seems justified in this case.

Last edited:
it would also explain why they weren't mentioned in earlier overviews
Most of the overviews didn't cover all moves, in fact most of them focused just on the V system for that character.

Either way, I'm glad the moves are in.

Reactions: Covenant
Concerning Alex, didn't some other character also have moves that weren't originally listed?

And was there really a backlash? I remember a few people mentioning it on forums, but most of the gripes I heard were purely about the lack of a trailer.

That said, it doesn't matter to me. I just find people's reaction to this interesting.

EDIT : It seems I was Valentined

I'm not convinced. They could have been holding back on the Alex patch because they wanted to get the Zenny purchasing system done in time to add it in this patch with the store, but ended up having to push the Zenny further out for security reasons (they mentioned this in a news update).

Reactions: missingno
Yeah looks like Riot Stomp is now EX-Head Crush.

I wonder if Slash Elbow got a similar treatment.
Move list here, neither of these things happened, thankfully.

I really didn't see a whole lot of backlash over Alex's moveset outside of this thread here. Hell, I'm not sure if most people were even reading that far into the blog as opposed to just waiting for the trailer they never delivered. I know it's easy to assume the worst of Capcom sometimes, but the idea that they threw out whatever plans they had for SF5 Alex at the last minute because of reactions to a blogpost just sounds like a bit too far-fetched of a conspiracy theory to me.

After all, if they really were planning to simplify Alex's moveset for whatever reason, then I would imagine it must be a reason they wouldn't be going back on so quickly, especially not due to feedback from people who have not even seen the hypothetical Diet Alex in action, let alone played him. It doesn't look to me like any of what we're seeing actually contradicts the original blogpost either, everything Combofiend teased is there, there just happens to be some more things too.

As @Jason said, I think the silence and delays were most likely just due to whatever problems they were having with the cash shop, until they finally decided to just push that part back further and offer this trial period since they'd be crucified if Alex isn't out by the end of March one way or another - crucified far worse than any complaints over his moveset. I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt on this one, I don't believe they tried to pull a fast one on us.

I really didn't see a whole lot of backlash over Alex's moveset outside of this thread here.

I know a bunch of people over at different forums/places that were extremely disappointed in Alex about those moves as well, a couple of them were big into SF5 as well. I saw a bunch of people on twitter were sad to but that's gonna depend on who you follow/who they retweet.