• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

So apparently for PC you have to edit files to get rid of VSync, and input lag still isn't as good as the MKX PC Port (!). Also Skullgirls is good.

claps hands... sigh... SG still standing out on top. But really SFV needs that V-sync toggle option. Come on.

saw this, this morning. Interesting video on comparing lag with these games. GGPO still the best netcode around to use. I heard that for rising thunder, GGPO3 is pretty sick and better then GGPO is now. I would like to see that in SG one day or other fighting games to see how that goes.

If implemented right like the Legacy Controls....I see you Capcom. Kappa.

saw this, this morning. Interesting video on comparing lag with these games. GGPO still the best netcode around to use. I heard that for rising thunder, GGPO3 is pretty sick and better then GGPO is now. I would like to see that in SG one day or other fighting games to see how that goes.

If implemented right like the Legacy Controls....I see you Capcom. Kappa.

Rising Thunder still doesn't let you adjust your own intput delay with GGPO3, which defeats half the point of even using GGPO in the first place. Kind of shocking considering they are directly tied to the GGPO team and therefore should know better.

On the subject of SF5... yeah there's no damn reason to not let you turn off v-sync. Just one more on the list of things that sucks about the UI for SF5.

What's different in GGPO3?

When Rising Thunder was announced with GGPO3, I asked Tony if there was a reason for us to upgrade, and his response was basically:
GGPO3 is GGPO2 implemented in Unreal Engine, with no significant changes from GGPO2 (which is what SG uses).
GGPO2 does have improvements over GGPO1, but when people say "GGPO" they actually mean "GGPO2" because that's what's commonly used now.

What's the upshot of it being in Unreal Engine?

Also, I've not used a game engine before, but why is netcode software using one? I always assumed (apparently wrongly?) that game engines were mostly to simplify work with graphics (rendering engine, physics engine, etc.)?

So pretty much
WKDyZrb.jpg

What's the upshot of it being in Unreal Engine
It makes it easier to hook it up to games made in the Unreal Engine, I assume. You wouldn't use it with a non-Unreal Engine game.

Reactions: Spencer
And making those ad dollars with a video comprised mostly of static images. Here I thought it was going to be some footage...
Capcom flagged his channel once for showing leaked footage, so he plays safe.

Also, I'll agree... I miss the old assist me videos, with the production and funny stuff. Justified the channel a tad more.

claps hands... sigh... SG still standing out on top. But really SFV needs that V-sync toggle option. Come on.
I imagine this would end up with some interactions between console and the PC version?

What's the upshot of it being in Unreal Engine?
That it works with Unreal. That's the upshot. It's not easy to integrate something like that. :^P

Also, I've not used a game engine before, but why is netcode software using one?
I am going to keep and paste this statement forever because it's amazing.
10w5cr.jpg

Man, I would've never thought that people defending/justifying the existence of large input lag was a thing, but the comments on that E-Hubs article sure swept away that faith in humanity.

And props to @Mike_Z for having the patience to deal with the riff-raff and bait to dole out some netcode knowledge and hard facts on that site.

Reactions: erkicman
People can justify/defend a lot of stuff. Some people may like games that are more focused on reads rather than reactions. There are people who would prefer adding offline lag to increase the the parity between online and offline.

Believe it or not there are people who would defend option selects. Those people would argue that options selects take the focus of a fighting game away from the small mixup (overhead/low/throw) and bring the focus toward spacing and controlling the flow of a match. (Why should I worry about choosing to throw rock, paper or scissors, when I could center the my game around throwing OS Rock with better spacing than my opponent and creating lots of situations where OS Rock pays out maximally for me?)

People can justify/defend a lot of stuff. Some people may like games that are more focused on reads rather than reactions. There are people who would prefer adding offline lag to increase the the parity between online and offline.
YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THAT. That's the SAME LEVEL of terrible justification. You can write online with no lag. Augh.

Reactions: erkicman
There are people who would prefer adding offline lag to increase the the parity between online and offline.

IIRC, there's a tekken game that does it.

IIRC, there's a tekken game that does it.

Did some digging on this. Apparently TTT2 and Tekken 7 add additional frames of input lag to offline games for 2 reasons: 1) Allow PS3 and 360 versions of TTT2 to match input lag of the slower arcade version of the game; 2) Reduce perceptions of online lag.

Quotes taken from Avoiding the Puddle:

Jiyugaoka_Kaz: "Good evening Harada-san. I have a question regarding offline mode in the home version. After playing in T6 practice mode, I went into the TTT2 practice mode, and clearly felt some lag. I've heard that there might be intentional lag in the offline mode, but what is the reason for this?"

Harada_Tekken: "In truth, the home version of T6 was faster than the arcade version. The arcade version had a JV board in the circuit, so the game was delayed X(秘 frames*. In addition, even though the HDMI output is the same as the home version, the Noir Monitors would lag about one frame when it finished rendering to the bottom right. TTT2 is the same as the arcade version"

Quotes taken from Eventhubs/Famitsu:

Famitsu: So how does Tekken 7 solve [online latency] problems?

Harada: For instance when the player hits the punch button or perform other actions, we put in a brief buffer period between the button press and when the punch move or action actually starts happening on-screen, as a measure to reduce the perception of lag.

Subsequently, if there is lag online, what the game can do in theory is to skip over certain frames or parts of the move's animation. In other words, in order to keep the amount of time elapsed -- between when the player hits a button and when the move actually hits -- consistent, the game makes adjustments to the move animations accordingly.

But that's not all. That's just one example. There's a bunch of other game system measures like this we've put in place.

By the way, for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Tekken 7 we've actually put in place pretty much the exact same system measures to reduce the perception of lag. So in terms of response times [between when a player hits a button and the move taking place on-screen], nothing has been changed from TTT2 to Tekken 7.

And yet every time we release a new title, there are always people complaining that the new game "has gotten sluggish" compared to the previous release. Unfortunately, they're mistaken. We can even show you the data. If anything, we've actually made improvements in many areas.

---

Anyways, don't look at me. I'm not the one thinking this is the best idea.

Last edited:
I wish upon a star so bright.

The only star I see tonight.

For an Alex trailer. Not maintenance.

If they are just fixing how one person receives all of the rollback, I'm fine with them shutting down for 48 hours...

What is the point of the video if he's just reiterating what they've already said, giving no new information, and not giving a date when there is only a week left in March anyway?

The update is on the 28th, Alex on the 30th, according to their twitter, why it's not in the video is beyond me.

oh boy... i am so excited...

I:-I

wait... Store has... "Characters", "Alt Costumes", "Colour", "Stage" (??? The hell does that mean? Do i have to use fight money to get a stage? Shouldn't I just be able to unlock it by beating a dumb challenge mode? ), "Title" (Should it be just like in SF4 where you unlock the stupid things and not forced to use fake currency to get them?), and "Fighter Profile" (Again it should have been like with SF4 where you just unlock em...)

man what the hell?

The update is on the 30th, according to their twitter, why it's not in the video is beyond me.

Damn it... Two Days off from April 1st. Having SFV Alex would have been the best April Fools that Capcom would have done. sorta like Fukua.

wait... Store has... "Characters", "Alt Costumes", "Colour", "Stage" (??? The hell does that mean? Do i have to use fight money to get a stage? Shouldn't I just be able to unlock it by beating a dumb challenge mode? ), "Title" (Should it be just like in SF4 where you unlock the stupid things and not forced to use fake currency to get them?), and "Fighter Profile" (Again it should have been like with SF4 where you just unlock em...)
To play devil's advocate, you're technically unlocking them by playing the game, I have over 300,000 in fight money because I did single player crap, more of which is being added soon. You also do unlock titles from accomplishments directly.

I understand the difference, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad system unless prices are nonsensically high.

Reactions: juju_for_president
Also, unless I'm misreading their twitter feed, Alex and "future DLC characters" will be free to everyone as a trial period until the Zenny store is up, which implies that it won't be up until at least June.

Probably giving themselves a buffer if it's not up quickly. If they're taking the time to implement more QoL first I'm fine with it either way.

bleg.... It just comes off as.... weird and slightly shady that they're hiding the stages behind a fake money paywall. that Fightmoney is better spent on you know... DLC characters and Capcom realizes this so they slapped Stages, Titles, and Fighter Profile skins into the store so that casual player who wants to be a little more than tourney generic will have to spend the fightmoney on those things requiring them to grind more fightmoney so that they can afford the DLC characters.

Which doing a little math will have you realize that there will be diminishing returns after the first DLC character because by that time most of the player base would have played the "story" mode and challenges will have enough to get the first DLC character but after that they are forced to get fightmoney thru lvl up character bonuses and online matches which only give out 50 fight dollars. So the grinding is real.

That's the free to play aspect people have been wanting them to ape. Wanna get stuff? You spend time getting them. Don't want to grind? You spend money.

Also don't forget the daily challenges drop money too and looks like each character gets a 'story' mode to get fight money as well.

-Inhales-

Okay... okay... alright.

I'm going to take a walk to my local park. get some fresh air... It's going to be okay. I'll see you guys in about 2 hours.

...yeah. Free To Play... mmmmhhh...

So the grinding is real.
After just all easy survivals, a couple normal survivals and all stories I can afford 3 characters with money left over and now there is more single player content coming. The daily challenges will help with as well, so it's not that terrible, unless the pricing is crazy. The more casual player can also at any time just buy the content if they want it.

If they are just fixing how one person receives all of the rollback, I'm fine with them shutting down for 48 hours...
That would be an executable (your game) patch, not a server upgrade. Fighting games are peer-to-peer, meaning the server doesn't interact with the match.

Reactions: Spencer
I don't see they implementing daily challengers soon, so to buy new characters, if you spend your money that you have now in costumes, looks disturbly impossible.
Btw,someone already did the math how many times we should play survival mode to unlock all the colors of all characters?is a lot.

I don't see they implementing daily challengers soon, so to buy new characters, if you spend your money that you have now in costumes, looks disturbly impossible.
Btw,someone already did the math how many times we should play survival mode to unlock all the colors of all characters?is a lot.

I'm not sure about how many times you'll need to play survival since there is no rhyme or reason as to why you lose it Sometimes you'll get super far doing nothing and other times the AI does frame 1 frame perfect jump-in into the most brutal oki you've ever seen. Anyone else watch the Desk "AI cheats video?". You could probably make an average how many times it takes a person to run through each difficulty, but I don't have those numbers.

But as to how many rounds you'll have to go through, that's easy math.
Easy - 10,
Medium - 30,
hard - 50,
hell - 100.

If you just want colors, you're looking at 90 rounds (easy + medium + hard) per character per outfit. Right now I think at most everyone only has 1 alternative costume, yes? If that assumption is correct, you'll need 90*16(characters)+90*1 (outfit) = 1530 rounds.

If you want colors plus the title, you'll need to do 1530 + 100*(16) characters = 3130 rounds.

And that is of course assuming you make it through each one on the first time.

Reactions: ScarletGungnir