• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

V-skills feed the V-meter according to Destructoid, so Capcom is one step ahead of you.

Also one-frame links now have a buffer. Praise the Lord.

Why is Ryu's parry just pressing both mediums and not by direction...

My heart ;_;

At least the game looks faster, damage actually looks real, and yeh. Still excited!

Yeah, i'm seeing here gameplay footage, and also the v-meter fills quite quickly, 2 or 3 hits and it is already full, nothing like ultras.

I really like that the character animations are different if a move is blocked or not. Also, i've only skimmed the recent news, but it seems like the counter mechanics (v-something) are more of a get-off me tool rather than a total comeback/game-changer mechanic, and I really like this

the only thing that is kinda bothering me, is that if you get v-meter by taking hits, how you are supposed to counter early pressure? I mean, maybe you get by blocking too, or maybe the v-whatever (the parry, projectile reflection) can be used to feed the v-meter, i don't know
remember you take chip damage from normals now and if V-Trigger stuff is going to be a big part of a match then building a tick of V-Meter shouldn't no problem at all. Block a couple hits maybe get hit by a short combo, boom. most likely a bar and half V-Trigger.

I really like that the character animations are different if a move is blocked or not. Also, i've only skimmed the recent news, but it seems like the counter mechanics (v-something) are more of a get-off me tool rather than a total comeback/game-changer mechanic, and I really like this
yes that is because they are alpha counters V-Reversals. from guard just press forward and all three punches and you'll be able to get out.

Street Fighter 5 gameplay footage by GameSpot.

Reactions: Shockdingo
They mentioned how v power is like a comeback mechanic and I was thinking "Im tired of comeback mechanics in capcom fighters" because I dont like how you're rewarded for bad play. Does anyone feel this way?

Also HOLY CRAP CHARLIE DID A GENOCIDE CUTTER IN THE THIRD VIDEO.

This is a pretty tame "comeback mechanic" compared to what recent games give you.

Comeback mechanics are a thing hella games are guilty of even way back when so its whatever really. As long as its not as crazy as X Factor I really don't care much.

Focus Attacks and FADC's are fucking finito and thats good enough for me.

Reactions: Woofly
It looks like it is easier to do combos, i like that.

as long as the "comeback mechanics" aren't as strong as 'I have 50% of my health, and T Hawk hit me with U1 so now im dead'

Reactions: Covenant
More SFV gameplay. Nothing really new(news wise), but more footage.

Reactions: EA575
There was a leak 6 months ago, I believe it was by Ken Bogard, and he mentioned things like the roster having 16 characters, weather elements, and V-Trigger by name.
We talked about that earlier here I think. The 16 character roster thing was a mistranslation from French to English. Bogard said he doesn't know of the roster number, but the game would be out in 2016. So the other stuff looks legit so far. Really hoping for the weather effects.

Interesting, looking at the videos (and huzzah, first look at alt colours!) I noticed in the critical arts (liking the new name), Chun Li didn't send Charlie through the wall, maybe there's an option to turn of the stage transitions?

edit:
Been looking through all the sites and I'm noticing something interesting with Charlie. As I pointed out when the portraits were coming out, the bg statue for ol' Chuck's looked like Anubis. Now, on eventhubs I was looking at his movelist.

He's got moves called Judgment Sabre and Sonic Scythe. I'm most likely reaching here, but with some of the iconography, I'm wondering if these "Death and Anubis" aesthetics are hinting at the Egyptian branch of the Illuminati? Maybe Chuck's stage (if we're getting individual stages) is in Egypt, similar to how Urien was scoping out Mexico and such in his SF3 stages. I dunno hah, just psyched to have so much new info!

Last edited:
He's got moves called Judgment Sabre and Sonic Scythe. I'm most likely reaching here, but with some of the iconography, I'm wondering if these "Death and Anubis" aesthetics are hinting at the Egyptian branch of the Illuminati? Maybe Chuck's stage (if we're getting individual stages) is in Egypt, similar to how Urien was scoping out Mexico and such in his SF3 stages. I dunno hah, just psyched to have so much new info!
"We have recently discovered news that the Egyptian branch of the Illuminati has been in talks with DIO, a "vampire" who has seemingly been brought back from the depths of the Atlantic in 1986." (whenever I think of Egypt, I think of Stardust Crusaders lol)

I hope you're right. Any clues that the Illuminati are coming back, and that this takes place before SFIII, gets me excited.

More SFV gameplay. Nothing really new(news wise), but more footage.
Seems like the stage music changes with each round like in 3rd Strike. I don't think that was the case in Ultra (although the music got more intense near the end of a round instead of the next round).

eww it does that making music more intense thing. . . .I hope they can let me switch to character themes then

Liking the music so far, glad it's not using dubstep and stuff. Wow, Charlie's no longer a charge character! Loving the new stances on each character.

Yeah, I was just about to say, the music is really rockin'. SF hasn't really done that before.

Has there been any news regarding beta access? They have been advertising that since the beginning and have not said anything official about it.

Nothing yet.

The music is actually really dynamic. There's an end-of-round jingle, and each round has its own theme. Me gusta.

some guy is saying two characters at e3.

rachid and alex maybe?

some guy is saying two characters at e3.

rachid and alex maybe?
No not alex.

They're not willing to put in cool characters

No not alex.

They're not willing to put in cool characters

Nah Alex honestly has a pretty good chance. They've been teasing him for years.

Alex has a good chance of coming back.

One of the new characters that was reportedly leaked. This was the same leak that revealed V-Triggers, so it's likely accurate.

:VAL:'d

Only new things from that leak is the name V-Trigger and the character names. Anyone can guess that Focus Attack isn't coming back, since this is a new number in the SF series, and that the game will release in 2016. I'm sure Capcom is also tired of the "Super Street Fighter Omega EX+ Ultra HD Remix" jokes that's been beaten to death throughout this series' lifespan, so moving to just updates/DLC is only logical (I guess this also means tourneys will have to download/buy them?). If the game does take place in between IV and III, then it makes sense to bring those characters back especially, heh, since IV already brought back old characters from Alpha, III, and even Final Fight.

Although I am a bit sad we're only getting 4 new characters, but there's always DLC.

Reactions: No longer exist
I think even getting the name right...that long ago is pretty impressive.

Maybe there will be a shitty wii u port heralding ryu being in smash.

Maybe there will be a shitty wii u port heralding ryu being in smash.
Nope. Unless it's an entirely different game, SFV ain't coming to any other console.

Alex IS coming back no debate.

Alex and another SF3 character or Alex and a brand new character. Thats my prediction.

V trigger is an improvement of ultras yeah, but I do wish you didn't gain v-gauge at all for taking damage.
"Im tired of comeback mechanics in capcom fighters"
I feel your annoyance here. I really hate it too. But having these dedicated comeback mechanics that the game/matches revolves around is the something that current capcom really believes in. They keep saying its absolutely necessary for sale even though there isn't any real evidence for this.

Even still this game finally seems interesting and Ill definitely keep a closer eye on it now.

ST gave you meter for taking damage as well as landing hits (blocked or not).

V trigger is a passive buff, not a 50% damage attack.

Chill.

You also gain meter for your V-Gauge when you successfully land a V-Skill.

I also want Juri back, but I'm having doubts. She's not as huge fan-favorite as other characters are. If the leak was talking about SFIV-only characters, then she might have a chance.

You also gain meter for your V-Gauge when you successfully land a V-Skill.

I also want Juri back, but I'm having doubts. She's not as huge fan-favorite as other characters are. If the leak was talking about SFIV-only characters, then she might have a chance.
Juri had such an interesting story, she would look fantastic in the games new graphic style, she would work well in the games new system and she is like the best rival of chun-li cause of how evil she was.

I want her back ;____;