• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Big Bando Husbando Combo Threadando

Hello fellas.
I've been working out a combo with big band lately and i'd appreciate if you could tell me how to further optimize it:

S.LP S.LP S.MP S.HP J.MP J.HK C.LK C.MK S.HP J.LK J.MK H.Cymbal_clash H.Take_the_'a'_train blockbuster

in a 1v1 or 2v2 scenario it does 6550 with LV.1, 8050 with Lv.1+taunt, 10000 with Level 3.
works as long it's not used in the corner.

i've been trying to further extend the combo to no avail. usually i play single big band, but lately been adding peacock for some zoning and the QCF+HK assist.
i would be very thankful of your assistance.
regards.
Firstly, check McPeanuts' "Big Band Compendium." The first section is his more-or-less standard Big Band BnBs for massive damage, and I wouldn't be contributing much by rehashing them.

That being said... there's actually a lot of room for improvement on your combo.

Your combo, as you wrote it (I added line numbers for later, ignore those for now):

1. s.LP~LP s.MP s.HP
2. j.MP j.HK
3. c.LK c.MK s.HP
4. j.LK(3) j.MK H.Cymbal
5. H.A-Train xx SSJ
--6519 x1.0 Damage

I noticed two things right off the bat, and they're not even Big Band things. First, that you're skipping buttons, which leads me to wonder if maybe you don't know that Big Band's air chains differ from his ground chains (on the ground, he can chain L - M - H, but in the air, he can chain LP-LK-MP-MK-HP-HK). Secondly, the Undizzy value of this combo is only 115 (!?!) when the final chain starts (H.A-Train after H.Cymbal doesn't count as a new chain, I just tested,) so I also have to wonder if you're familiar with how the combo system works in this game.

As for Big-Band specific problems:
Line 1: Don't start any of Big Band's combos with s.LP~LP. Hitting jab twice instead of once, besides removing 200 damage from the combo due to scaling, will occasionally push them out of range for the next button. s.MP, besides being the weakest button you can press here (check out the damage values in Training), is also short, weird against crouchers, and pushes your opponent away, and is thus completely outclassed by c.MK, which is huge and draws your opponent into you, allowing you to combo into s.HP almost all the time. The first few hits are the MOST IMPORTANT PARTS OF THE COMBO because of the nature of combo scaling.
Line 2: You should press j.MP j.HP j.HK here for a billion reasons. a) more damage by including j.HP, b) j.HP knocks them higher so that j.HK wallbounces for longer and allows the next link to be less weird, c) said higher wallbounce will allow for Line 3 to have a better starter button. Also, are you teching when you hit the ground after j.HK? Try teching forward afterwards, you get a lot of time back.

I could go on, but the beginning of the combo is the biggest problem, from damage to execution difficulty to match consistency.

Anyway, if you don't know about IPS, start by going to Zidiane's Cerebella Guide and skipping down to section 1.5, where he goes at length into how Skullgirls' IPS system works. All the example are Cerebella examples, but you should at least take home how the system functions and what buttons you're allowed to repeat in combos.

Afterwards, with knowledge of the combo system and Big Band's chain style, and after browsing McPeanuts' Big Band Compendium, come back and post you new-found awesomeness.

yes, i noticed my combo start was flunky compared to other players, but i couldn't notice why.
all right, i'll check all that information and tweak accordingly. there's a lot of information i didn't see before, so i was blindly trying stuff until hits linked.
thanks!
Additional note:
I forgot to mention that yes, i tech forward after j.Hk and H.Cymbal does connect after j.Mk

Last edited:
Man I put the combos as the very first thing in the compendium and literally named the thread "read this for combos", what more can I do to get people to at least look at it before they post here? I'm stressed.

I am going to update the section on sound stun and make a note that air grab doesn't use your sound stun, though. It's sort of unintuitive that it doesn't use sound stun when taunted Tympani Drive does.

Man I put the combos as the very first thing in the compendium and literally named the thread "read this for combos", what more can I do to get people to at least look at it before they post here? I'm stressed.

I am going to update the section on sound stun and make a note that air grab doesn't use your sound stun, though. It's sort of unintuitive that it doesn't use sound stun when taunted Tympani Drive does.
Everything that uses sound stun shits music notes.

Everything that uses sound stun shits music notes.
That's correct, but they do have the same animation, and not everyone is aware of the musical notes thing, such as our friend from page 10.

Slightly more optimized air throw combo. This does 400 more damage than what used to be in the compendium. Verified works on everyone.

Air throw,
j.MK,
c.MK s.HP xx H Beat Extend,
j.LK j.MK,
s.LP s.MK,
j.LP j.LK j.MK,
c.LK c.MK s.HK xx H Take the A-Train xx Super Sonic Jazz

Okay, registered in hopes of getting an answer to this question.

I'm starting to learn Big Band, and trying to do this combo, the first BnB in the compendium thread:

c.LK c.MK s.HP
j.MP j.HP delay j.HK
tech forward
OTG c.HK xx H Beat Extend,
j.LK j.MP*
s.MK
j.LP j.LK j.MP*
c.LPx2 c.MK s.HK xx H Take the A-Train xx Super Sonic Jazz

However! Whenever I try to practice it in training, IPS goes off when I try to OTG with c.HK (or anything else, for that matter). It works fine in online/lobby training, much to my surprise (I met a player who attempted that OTG during a match, and ended up adding him on Steam in hopes that he could show me why it wasn't working right for me, and then it turns out it works on the very first try in online training with him...) though! I don't want to need to drag someone into lobby training with me just to practice combos. Is this a bug, or what's going on?

Did the cpu do a green burst or a red burst when you tried it in training mode? The only explanation I can think of is that you had some leftover stun from the previous combo you were trying and triggered undizzy burst when trying to do the c.HK.

Did the cpu do a green burst or a red burst when you tried it in training mode? The only explanation I can think of is that you had some leftover stun from the previous combo you were trying and triggered undizzy burst when trying to do the c.HK.

Not 100% sure, can't check this minute, but I believe it was a green burst. I didn't even know there were different kinds! I thought the damage and stun etc. reset pretty quickly once a combo breaks and the dummy goes back to idle. Should I wait longer before trying again or something?

Not 100% sure, can't check this minute, but I believe it was a green burst. I didn't even know there were different kinds! I thought the damage and stun etc. reset pretty quickly once a combo breaks and the dummy goes back to idle. Should I wait longer before trying again or something?
There's a green meter that builds up under your opponent's HP bar that indicates the current Undizzy value, and you can see it drain once your opponent recovers. If the Undizzy is full when you start the combo, it will indeed result in a Green Burst (caused by Undizzy) at the c.HK, rather than a Red Burst (caused by IPS / repeat moves).

There's a green meter that builds up under your opponent's HP bar that indicates the current Undizzy value, and you can see it drain once your opponent recovers. If the Undizzy is full when you start the combo, it will indeed result in a Green Burst (caused by Undizzy) at the c.HK, rather than a Red Burst (caused by IPS / repeat moves).

Is there a setting that prevents Undizzy from accumulating in Training mode, that I missed, the way I can turn stun off in SF4?

EDIT: Just tried firing up the game really fast, and it seems that green bar starts out completely full, and never decreases. What obvious setting am I missing to get rid of that?

Is there a setting that prevents Undizzy from accumulating in Training mode, that I missed, the way I can turn stun off in SF4?

EDIT: Just tried firing up the game really fast, and it seems that green bar starts out completely full, and never decreases. What obvious setting am I missing to get rid of that?
You'll have to check on your own, I won't be back on my PS3 until tomorrow afternoon. Look for something named "Undizzy".

"Drama", go set it to Normal.

@Emuchu
Remember its have official name!

"Drama", go set it to Normal.

@Emuchu
Remember its have official name!

Thank you so much! I thought the Drama setting had to do with meter for supers, because I remember it being called Dramatic Tension, so I never thought to tweak that. Now I can actually practice! :D

Anyone know a good way to combo after Tymphany Drive? Still learning Band
If you do Timpani Drive in the corner (or move it into the corner), try to end the move with your opponent high up and you can land on them OTG with j.LK or j.MK. With a Taunt Timpani Drive, you land really early with OTG still saved and can get them with c.MK s.HK M Brass Knuckles into whatever. I dunno what you can do midscreen, though.

(Near) Corner Example:
c.LK c.MK s.HP ^ j.MP j.HP Timpani Drive, [otg] j.MK v c.MK s.HK H Beat Extend, s.LP s.MP ^ j.LP j.LK(3) j.MK v c.LK c.MK s.HK H A-Train

With Taunt:
c.LK c.MK s.HP ^ j.LP j.MP j.HP Timpani Drive v c.MK s.HK M Knuckles, [otg] c.LP s.MK ^ j.LK(3) (delay) j.MK v c.LK c.MK s.HK H A-Train

Something like that should work, although I dunno why you would land a Timpani in the corner.

EDIT: The (Near) Corner combo set off IPS, so I fixed it.

Last edited:
After realising that I had to learn at least 2 combos for Big-Band I decided to try and make combos that work both mid-screen and in the corner.
Deals horrible damage and very basic but this is what I got in 5 minutes:
C.lk C.mk S.hk xx Beat Extend L
C.lk C.mk S.hk xx Brass Knuckle H
Super Sonic Jazz
-Deals 5779 damage.

I don't really know much of Big-Band's tricks so this is just the first try. I'll probably be back with a better, if only slightly, combo.
If you know any tricks that might help me in this endeavor, no matter how small, please tell me about them. Thanks! :3

@Fumako: If you mean "tricks that work anywhere on the screen," Big Band is a bit limited.

Anyway, tricks ahoy:
-Use H Beat Extend for better damage. You'll probably have to use c.LK c.MK s.HP H Beat Extend for it.
-Try out not shaking. It may possibly increase damage with a Beat Extend that early in the combo.
-After any Beat Extend, you can go ^ j.LK(3) (delay) j.MK v s.MP ^ j.LP j.LK(3) j.MK v c.LK
-Use H A-Train over H Knuckles for better damage. If it's whiffing on Parasoul, use c.LK s.MK s.HK H A-Train.

You can also do c.LK c.MK s.HP ^ j.LP j.MP j.HP H Cymbal Crash v H A-Train SSJ. But I think everyone on the forum will agree with me that you should just learn two combos.

I don't know... 2 combos is a bit much.
Skullgirls is a game where only knowing 1 decent hitconfirm combo is a huge disadvantage. Especially on poor Big Band. I'm not saying you *have* to learn better combos, but it's not good to get into the habit of auto-piloting your buttons.

I don't know... 2 combos is a bit much.
I have a corner combo for each weight class, and a midscreen combo for each weight class with bella. That's 6, plus a few other easier ones if I'm in a situation with pressure and need to do something more reliable.And not to mention if you play two characters you automatically have at least 2 combos.

I wasn't really serious about 2 combos being too much. But I can't do the mid-screen combos in the compendium due to this bit:
c.HK xx H Beat Extend

Other than that I'm willing to learn as many combos as I can.

I wasn't really serious about 2 combos being too much. But I can't do the mid-screen combos in the compendium due to this bit:
c.HK xx H Beat Extend

You can do 2MP MP xx 623HP to make it easier, if you struggle

You can do 2MP MP xx 623HP to make it easier, if you struggle
Thanks!
Also, it seems that teching forward causes you to tech through the opponent? Teching backward lets me continue the combo but I just found it weird since I haven't had this issue a few days ago.

c.HK xx H Beat Extend

Oh! Sarcasm! Our mistake.

Anyway, c.HK xx H Beat Extend can be made easier.

During (s.HP) ^ j.MP j.HP j.HK, delay the j.HK by a bit. This will cause Big Band to be a little lower when j.HK connects, giving you more time to connect the c.HP afterwards. Also, the c.HK link gets harder as your opponent gets heavier, so for Double and Big Band I usually use c.MP~MP xx H Beat Extend for consistency.

Thanks!
Also, it seems that teching forward causes you to tech through the opponent? Teching backward lets me continue the combo but I just found it weird since I haven't had this issue a few days ago.
Same thing, delay the j.HK a little. Also, if you start this combo with Big Band closer than around the middle of the screen, you'll knock them over your head, especially the lightweights!

You are too close to the corner it sounds, you need to adjust it for spacing. From certain distances you tech back and do the same combo, if you are too close you have to do a timpany overdrive after the j.HK and then pick up from there.

Big Band is the one character where you really, really can't get away with just having a one size fits all BnB

You are too close to the corner it sounds, you need to adjust it for spacing.
I've tried it very far from the corner. Same problem.

Stuffs

Same thing, delay the j.HK a little. Also, if you start this combo with Big Band closer than around the middle of the screen, you'll knock them over your head, especially the lightweights!
Thanks!

I made a ghetto bootlegged version of McPeanuts' corner BnB because I hate his dumb j.MK > s.MK links. Does 8.1K and works on all characters w/ no adjustments required.

c.LK > c.MK > s.HK > M Brass Knuckle
OTG c.MK > s.HK > H Beat Extend
j.LK > j.MK
s.LP (x2) > s.MK
j.LP > j.LK > j.MK
c.MP (x2) > s.HK > H Take the A-Train > SSJ

The OTG is tight on Big Band and Double, but you can OTG with c.LK and continue at the cost of only 11 damage.

Last edited:
I have never been able to nail it, is it all about that right timing?
I mean, I don't have the frame data in front of me, but if you use the in game frame data to see what you're at after a j.MK, you have hella frames. I think you could even get a s.HP after that move if you were fast enough. I will say it helps to do the j.MK as deep as possible, because the deeper you do it the more frames you have.

I have never been able to nail it, is it all about that right timing?
There's a substantial delay between j.LK(3) and j.MK. Just keep increasing the delay until you find the point where you can link s.MK.

Back