• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Mortal Kombat Thread

The Skullgirls Community is apparently uniting behind Special Forces.

Reactions: Caleb
I still don't know who to join.
except I won't join the black dragon.
I always thought the black dragon was the weakest part of the villain side.
even though Erron Black is in the black dragon from what I've heard.

What the Heckie?
Why Special Forces?

Probably because SonicFox got drafted into Special Forces at Fatal 8. And this:

CCXMQTxWIAAhOaK.png

(Shout outs to @ElkyDori for making it)

Input delay ends up fucking up my tight links, but I also generally don't notice it.

All that said, game devs need to start using GGPO. Shitty netcode is hardly an excuse when there is good netcode out there. I don't know the reasons, but short of GGPO being prohibitively expensive or difficult to implement on hardware, I can see no reason why companies continue to invest money into their own shitty netcode development.

Also, for factions... Brotherhood of Shadows all the way.

If erron black switches factions in story mode, I'll join the faction he switches to.

Reactions: BeatNinja
My faction is eh. Probably going Special Forces cause all the characters I have any real interest in are in Special Forces.

Cassie's FRIENDSHIP fatality should not only be its own faction, but a real thing.

Welp, Mortal Kombat X will be available on Steam in 24 hours.

That said, shortly after the game releases, the Bread and Butter fighting game group will host a lobby event for whoever wants to play. If you're interested, all you have to do is join group chat to see who's already playing. The event will most likely be streamed as well, so you can evaluate your own gameplay eventually.

Welp, Mortal Kombat X will be available on Steam in 24 hours.

That said, shortly after the game releases, the Bread and Butter fighting game group will host a lobby event for whoever wants to play. If you're interested, all you have to do is join group chat to see who's already playing. The event will most likely be streamed as well, so you can evaluate your own gameplay eventually.
If the netcode is bad just like it was for injustice... I don't think I will be there. Laggy matches, laggy matches everywhere. But I like the ideia.

Joining Special Forces AKA my team of mains.

I'm maining Cassie, Erron, Johnny, and Sub Zero

I'm maining Erron Black, Takeda, Kenshi, and the hottest version of Mileena.

I'm gonna join White Lotus, because it sounds like a name of a nice fragrance...

Am I weird?

Maining Ermac and Erron. Might try to play Kotal and Ferra/Torr too.

Any PC players? Or all PS4 here?
I'm on PS3. I'm on the fence about PC due to how MK9 on PC was handled, I'm planning on waiting until the summer if needed for the PS3 port.

Pick White Lotus, they smell nice.

Bought MKX on launch, was not ready for the hype!
SPOILERS THE ENTIRE META GAME HERE WATCH OUT!
2015-04-14_00001.jpg

Press A and you win the game. next level meta!

Okay, stupid question: I preordered the game but it still tells me I have to purchase Goro before I can use him. Did I do something wrong here?

Yeah, I think I'm going Black Dragon.
I'll pretend every one of Kotal's posse counts as Black Dragon.
Depending on how I like Quan Chi and Shinnok we'll see if I'll change to Brotherhood of Shadow.

Yeah, I think I'm going Black Dragon.
I'll pretend every one of Kotal's posse counts as Black Dragon.
Depending on how I like Quan Chi and Shinnok we'll see if I'll change to Brotherhood of Shadow.
lemme know if Erron Black switches sides.

I picked BoS but I can't play yet because I bought the PC version.

It isn't supposed to be out yet though, so I don't get why people are getting mad? I thought it was out in 9 hours from now

the online looked like it ran smoothly
You can't tell by looking. In fact, the better it LOOKS, generally the worse it FEELS because looking good means adding lag to inputs before simulating, rather than acting immediately and later fixing simulation errors.
"It looks good" = uninformed people assuming it feels fine is exactly WHY developers don't use rollback netcode.

Last edited:
Anyone having trouble playing local versus with a ps3 arcade stick? me and my friend both had control over player one when I tried using my eight arc stick

Off topic but I really really really really really need to say it because it is really really really really really really common and is incorrect and it makes me distraught whenever I see it.

Tekken tag 2 have 1 frame of delay between the button press and the command execution, even offline.
It is not, I repeat it is NOT one frame. It's one frame ADDED. There was already 6 frames of delay before (but now there's 7 IIRC? I need to look up the math), which I can only assume was to draw all the models up and stuff. Mike actually makes vidya ghems so I assume he knows about this more than I do, but in my experience no game renders your attack on the exact frame you push a button due to the inputs travelling from the controller to the game and the game processing the input and then rendering the screen and showing the input, all of which I assume takes some time that can be translated into a few frames...?

Here's a link to the translation to a Twitter conversation between some guy and Harada. http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=4578201#post4578201

Here's the original Japanese conversation if you care http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=4576865#post4576865

Anyone having trouble playing local versus with a ps3 arcade stick? me and my friend both had control over player one when I tried using my eight arc stick
According to that Neogaf thread you probably need 2 DS4s so that one of the DS4s can be P2...like if you have one DS4 and one stick you can't play against each other.
(Which is a lil nuts.)

Offtopic:
It is not, I repeat it is NOT one frame. It's one frame ADDED. There was already 6 frames of delay before (but now there's 7 IIRC? I need to look up the math), which I can only assume was to draw all the models up and stuff.
No, there are 6-7 frames added offline so they can remove them online to compensate for lag. That's the only reason. Rendering or anything uh, real? has nothing to do with it.

Off topic again woo

No, there are 6-7 frames added offline so they can remove them online to compensate for lag. That's the only reason. Rendering or anything uh, real? has nothing to do with it.
I don't have a 60fps recording camera nor do I have faith in the exact lag or lack of thereof in my laptop or keyboard or stick so I can't test it myself, but does Skullgirls display inputs on frame 1 of input too? Like frame 0 jab button is pressed and frame 1 jab starts to animate? I remember reading that most 60fps games have ~67ms of lag
, and since Tag 2 was tested to have 10 frame jabs come out at 16 frames assuming the jab was hit at frame 0 , I guess I'm just really confused at what you say (and yes I did read the Eventhubs article that explained what Harada said about netcode and Tekken as well as your comment on that article, but then again I'm a slow person so I might not have fully understood it).

EDIT: Grammatical error, I can't write English wow.
EDIT2: 67ms not 67 frames. I am a scrublord alright.

Last edited:
Off topic again woo
Yeah so to cut this all short:
- All games have 3f input lag minimum. Games generally want to minimize the number of frames of input lag, but 3 is the smallest you can have. When people say "zero frames of lag" they generally mean, zero extra frames on top of the mandatory three frames since those three frames come from the hardware.
- Tekken adds some EXTRA lag to offline play for no other reason than to be able to remove that extra lag to compensate for online play. This does not change framedata, but it makes things that would normally be blockable/counterable on reaction no longer reactable, since your character will go through that extra lag AFTER you see what is happening on screen and react to it. It affects offline play in order to be able to provide online play that is comparable to the slower offline play.
- However many extra frames of lag they'd added in Tekken 6, they added one more in TTT2 and it stayed for T7.

I don't know, nor really care, how many frames they're adding. I read six ADDED frames somewhere, but even if it's four that's still four too many.
It's a bad idea to do that - sacrifice offline play for online - when you could you rollbacks and not sacrifice either one.

Reactions: Squire Grooktook