• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Mortal Kombat Thread

The reviews for it are pretty hilarious too.

I'm guessing this was a Steam issue. Their release cycle, to the best of my knowledge, has never been midnight on opening day. I had a pretty solid inclination last night that it wasn't going to work as I downloaded it and went to bed.

Unlike most people, I'm actually happy about it so far as it has let me "pre-download" the game instead of getting home from work and having to wait yet more time while I install it.

All that said, I hope when it does "launch" that it is a smooth one, or I'll be a crabby bastard.

oh wow a totally stupid shit storm that i have no interest in looking at. Anyways... Takeda is looking to be a pretty good high tier character next to Erron, SubZero, Kenshi, and Ermac.

Aw shit. I forgot ermac was in the game! I can't live with the shame! Someone do the inputs for my hara-kiri!

So, anyone getting the Kombat Pack?
I'm planning to, but I'm gonna need a Jason release date first.
Samurai Shinnok is badass, but not enough to spend $30 right after I spent $58 getting this.

I'm also having a good chortle at the people flippnig their lids at the fact MKX has Micro transactions...
..........for Easy Fatalities
You can still do the regular ones just fine.

it's almost as if it's worth more at gitting gud than it is to make things easy ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ

So still leaning strongly toward D'vorah, but I'm tempted by both Mileena and Reptile... and Kotal Kahn which surprised me. But he's freaking awesome.

Still have yet to start, today was a bit of a rough one.
After dinner I'll take Kotal for a test spin.

did you guys know that Kotal Khan is actually a pretty okay guy?
and that he beat the living shit out of Goro?
and even ripped his fucking arms off?

Can't play anymore until Saturday because of work travel, but I'm really liking Cryomancer Sub Zero even though that's supposedly his worst variation.

Way too early to be talking best and worst in my opinion.

The variations with cheese and a low learning curve are going to rise to the top, at least initially.

I'm getting weirded out by how meter burn is doing the input plus shoulder pad.
Maybe I'm just weird.

Also, Black Dragon's first faction kill is the Hammer of Dawn
10/10 would Black Market again.

So MKX costs $60 standalone.
The season pass Kombat Pack is $30.

The Premium Edition includes both the Kombat Pack and MKX for $90.
What exactly is the point of buying that? There's no price difference.

Premium doesn't even fucking include Goro ($5) or the Blue Steel Sub Zero Costume ($2), the Krypt Unlock Key ($20) or any Easy Fatality Koins ($1-$5). DLC in this game is a fucking joke.

(Also, to clarify exactly how Easy Fatality Koins work - you can earn EFKs in game and then spend them to do Fatalities by holding a shoulder button and pushing a face button. There's a limited amount in game, so you can buy more of them for real money.)

The fact that these easy fatality koins exist is an indication that everyone seems to be forgetting the best fatality in the game:

Walk up --> Standing jab --> drop the mic --> "FATALITY"

Got a long ways to go with this game. I thought playing MK9 this weekend would help, but the movement is much different. I probably spend most of my time this week trying out each character, though Sonya feels the most familiar.

(Also, to clarify exactly how Easy Fatality Koins work - you can earn EFKs in game and then spend them to do Fatalities by holding a shoulder button and pushing a face button. There's a limited amount in game, so you can buy more of them for real money.)
That's...really...stupid. I mean, it's great from a greed perspective, but paying money should just give you the easy fatalities forever.

That's...really...stupid. I mean, it's great from a greed perspective, but paying money should just give you the easy fatalities forever.
YUP.
If they're going to implement easy Fatalities at all it should just be a toggle switch in options to turn it on or off. Maybe add in a thing that auto sets your online title to "A Real Noob" if you have it turned on if they don't want people to just always ignore learning the commands, or it flashes EASY Fatality every time you do one.
The coin thing is a super greedy move 100%.

all this MKX DLC news is just making me think "I think I'll wait for the inevitable 'complete' edition" since both injustice and mk9 had those.

also I don't have a xb1 or ps4 to play it on, so I'd need one of those too of course.

I like the new puzzle old-school 1st person dungeon crawler thing they did with the Krypt mode. Gives it a ton of personality imo

EDIT: Also, Rain and Baraka appear in the story mode...I suspect extra DLC on the way...

I really really REALLY wanna play as Rain....please!

Last edited:
I like the new puzzle old-school 1st person dungeon crawler thing they did with the Krypt mode. Gives it a ton of personality imo

EDIT: Also, Rain and Baraka appear in the story mode...I suspect extra DLC on the way...

I really really REALLY wanna play as Rain....please!
(Please spoiler your post about story mode, thx!)

Easy Fatalities are nice but now I can't tell if I've done an Easy Fatality or not because I still like to use block button for some fatalities.
Also Mid-range fatalities are a bitch
(Kept trying to do Erron Black's and failing)

Easy Fatalities are nice but now I can't tell if I've done an Easy Fatality or not because I still like to use block button for some fatalities.
Also Mid-range fatalities are a bitch
(Kept trying to do Erron Black's and failing)
just learn what the distance is and what you need to do to get there.
that's the best way to learn a fatality's distance is to know your spacing.
at least that's what i did in MK9.

y'know, everyone is getting way too angry over the easy fatality koins you can buy.
it's a pure cosmetic thing you can buy and no one if forcing you to do it.
just learn the fatalities and boycott purchasing the koins.
it's as simple as that.

I wasn't complaining about the Easy Fatality Koins, I was just saying now I have no idea if I did a hard fatality legitimately or not.

oh I wasn't implying you man.
my bad, fam.

it should tell you what the easy input is.
I think you have to hold the buttons iirc.

I only ever use them when I feel like being an ass. Its so obvious when you use one. I hold guard extra long just to make sure they KNOW I went easy fatality on them. Otherwise I usually just go Brutality or hit them.

I wish this game has more fatalities. It's two per character, that's less than MK9's fatalities, right?

EDIT:
EASY FATALITY 1: HOLD R2. Press Square
EASY FATALITY 2: HOLD R2. Press Triangle

no, MK9 had 2 per character as well.
but they also had stage fatalities and no brutalities.
then again, there were also babalities.

Scorpion was the only one with 3.

Well after playing about 4 hours of online I have to say that the netcode is decent(not as bad as MK9 and Injustice). I've been told that the Xbox One version has better online, but I can't say for sure cause I'm on PS4. The only thing that I REALLY didn't like was how long it took to find matches at times. Also when I was trying to change my profile card it took awhile to load the screen. Aside from that the matches felt good(except a few of them) and overall the online is fun thanks to the many modes they have.

That's good to hear, I still need to learn all the characters before I can do story or arcade mode.
As I said, kinda feeling Erron Black, started with War God Kotal.
It's so weird learning a new fighting game and all characters, let alone one with three variations.

I'm also having a bit of trouble learning how combos work, since there's pre programmed combos does that mean most combos happen due to special moves?

Nope, most combos are normals. I've found that I can tack on a number of specials depending variation to end them. Gives it a bit of variety I guess.

Combos are tough for me to get used to after games like SG, P4U, or Xrd where they definitely chain into one another, but there is still a logical timing to the button presses and cancels.

In MKX, I feel like I"m just racing as fast as I can through button presses to get combos.

So far I'm really enjoying it though.

Slowly but surely getting to trying every character, starting Story today at some point when I can have it's Undivided Attention.

I'm so torn literally everyone I've tried so far feels good.
Not sure how If eel about the Combos into Grabs though
Enjoyed Ferra/Torr's feel though.
Their Alt outfit is even more Master Blaster than before.

Back