• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Palettes of Skullgirls

Since Mike says in the patch notes "This is it for now, get 'em while they're hot." Does that mean there's not going to be any new Fukua colors for a while?
Yes.

I hope Lab Zero pads out the number all the characters to have the same amount of colors. Its kinda weird to see half the cast with 20 colors and the other half with 22.
Eventually, probably.

Since the bots in OMF 2097 are custom colored (and hence not having a default palette), I guess the only way to have a Shadow palette in Skullgirls was to imitate the colors of one of the dedicated Shadow pilots from tournament mode, such as Iceman, Killian, Nicoli or Eva Earlong.
This, except she also pilots a Gargoyle later.

So when is that fukua patch anyways ?
Patience.

Reactions: SmashBlade
So no Noob Saibot palette for Fukua despite how perfectly fitting it is? :(

All my tears.

So no Noob Saibot palette for Fukua despite how perfectly fitting it is? :(

All my tears.
I think that may be a bit too much like her Shadow Lady color?

I mean, I guess it's not going to happen because Shadow is already basically pure black, but man, I was so sure it was going to happen based on the previous pattern of poking fun at MK Ninjas.

We did enough of that, though.
Also Noob would be basically invisible on a lot of stages, as he is in MK.

Reactions: Golbat
5 Fukua palettes aren't references (counting Maeruto, he's a L0 joke). So 3/15 references are MK ninjas, 8/15 are Capcom characters (counting Red Venom), and 4/15 are unique references. Over 2/3's of all references are MK Ninjas and Capcom clones. I could do without any more MK or Capcom clones/palette swaps for a while, thank you. I'm sure there are plenty other clones and swaps you guys could take from.

"Characters in a game with street fighter or capcom in the title" I meant. Too many either way.

Last edited:
Will there be palettes based on melty blood characters for fukua?
I'm hoping for Mech-hisui, since she's technically a copy of the original hisui.
Or Sion TATARI and Red Arcueid...

I'm hoping for Mech-hisui, since she's technically a copy of the original hisui.
There are no more palettes coming atm for Fukua, Mike confirmed that at the top of this page. They have never let us know in advanced what palettes will be done. Outside of that, discuss palettes you'd like in the game in the Fan Palettes Thread. That tread gets looked at, I'm sure, if Lab Zero wants fan input on future colors.

Reactions: KhronoVision
Melty does have quite a few palette swaps.

But Mech-Hisui would probably end up being a Robo-Fortune color.

There are no more palettes coming atm for Fukua, Mike confirmed that at the top of this page. They have never let us know in advanced what palettes will be done.
Palettes do tend to be a surprise. I figure they're working on Eliza's currently.

This thread was an incredible help in getting that right, so feel free to tell me if any of it is wrong!
It looks good. My only question is about his #5. I thought that was an original color and not specifically The Saints.

I could be wrong though.

I recently put the Big Band palettes in a nice organized chart on the SRK wiki:

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Skullgirls/BigBand#Colors_and_Costumes

This thread was an incredible help in getting that right, so feel free to tell me if any of it is wrong!
im pretty sure that 10 is actually Nonon's giant mech 3 star transformation, "Symphony Regalia Grave", and not Nonon herself

It looks good. My only question is about his #5. I thought that was an original color and not specifically The Saints.

I could be wrong though.

I'm not so sure. No other palettes are based on american football uniforms and there are other colors using a generic black/gold color scheme, but New Orleans is associated with jazz so it seems appropriate.

im pretty sure that 10 is actually Nonon's giant mech 3 star transformation, "Symphony Regalia Grave", and not Nonon herself

Added that detail!

Reactions: Arcana
I'm not so sure. No other palettes are based on american football uniforms and there are other colors using a generic black/gold color scheme, but New Orleans is associated with jazz so it seems appropriate.
That makes sense but I've also noticed that the #5 colors of other characters are "Black/White/Gold" themed colors in general.

I don't think The Saints reference has been confirmed. If it hasn't, you can really say for certain.

The Saint's color is now just an "Original alternate color palette."

Everything above palette 18 for the original cast may or may not be an IGG fan request. This is my current list. Anything wrong here? Which are the fan requests?

Filia
19) Original alternate color palette.
20) Based on Finn from Adventure Time.
21) Based on Shantae.
22) Original alternate color palette.

Cerebella
19) Original color palette based on Brazil's flag.
20) Original color palette based on a flame motif custom paint job often seen on a hot rod.

Peacock
19) Based on Raspberyl from Disgaea.
20) Based on The Grinch.

Parasoul
19) Based on Poison Ivy from DC Comics.
20) Fan requested palette based on Fluttershy from My Little Pony.
21) Fan requested palette based on Char Aznable from Mobile Suit Gundam.
22) Based on Jean Grey's 1990s era costume from X-Men: The Animated Series.

Ms. Fortune
19) Based on B. Orchid from Killer Instinct.
20) Original alternate color palette.
21) Based on She Hulk from Marvel Vs Capcom 3.
22) Fan requested original alternate color palette.

Painwheel
19) Based on a "mango" custom color palette for Sentinel from Marvel Vs Capcom 2.
20) Fan request original alternate color palette.

Valentine
19) Based on Kyoko Needleworker from Disgaea.
20) Based on Shinobou from No More Heroes.
21) Based on Nu-13 from Blaz Blue.
22) Based on Taki from Soul Calibur.

Double
19) Fan requested original alternate color palette based on a double rainbow.
20) Fan requested original color palette based on the Skull Heart.

20) Fan requested palette based on Fluttershy from My Little Pony.

what no you idiot its not its actually a palette based on Fluttershy COSPLAYING AS UMBRELLA!!!!!! this is a huge difference and very relevent how dare you get it wrong

Reactions: Woofly
Valentine

21) Based on Nu-13 from Blaz Blue.
22) Based on Taki from Soul Calibur.
I think "Blazblue" and "Soulcalibur" are written as one word.

what no you idiot its not its actually a palette based on Fluttershy COSPLAYING AS UMBRELLA!!!!!! this is a huge difference and very relevent how dare you get it wrong
The "cosplaying as Umbrella" was how Mike interpreted it more than the backer's intention, I guess? Saying that's the original idea sounds more like wishful thinking than anything. Or hey, just a joke jab, your post screams tongue-in-cheek to begin with.

@Pizzarino
Parasoul #19 is definitely a backer palette. I mean, it's safe to assume most #19+ palettes are backer ones anyway (with single exceptions here and there such as Filia #22 or Peacock #20), but one can tell this one specifically was one for sure based on what was said in the Salty Cupcakes that introduced it.

Also, if you want to be very specific, Big Band #16 is based on Robocop, yes, but from the 1988 cartoon, hence explaining his red eyes.

Last edited:
I don't think Fortune's color #21 is she-hulk. Fortune's color has the midriff showing, which could have been covered to then look like she-hulk.

I don't think Fortune's color #21 is she-hulk. Fortune's color has the midriff showing, which could have been covered to then look like she-hulk.
90's cartoon she wore a tank top, just references to older media rather than the new ones that in some ways have been toned down as time passes. Nothing wrong with either.

hqdefault.jpg

Ok that makes more sense. The post referenced MVC3.

I mean, it's safe to assume most #19+ palettes are backer ones anyway (with single exceptions here and there such as Filia #22 or Peacock #20), but one can tell this one specifically was one for sure based on what was said in the Salty Cupcakes that introduced it.

I can't really tell. The Grinch Peacock could be LZ just adding it back in just because they can or a backer specifically requesting for it to be added again. This thread pointed out a few of them that were fan requests, but not all. Maybe listing which ones are fan requests is a mistake?

@render?

I can't really tell. The Grinch Peacock could be LZ just adding it back in just because they can or a backer specifically requesting for it to be added again. This thread pointed out a few of them that were fan requests, but not all. Maybe listing which ones are fan requests is a mistake?
I think both Peacock #20 and Squigly #22 are old colors that got added back in and not backer colors.

Not enough people requested palettes for some characters so we added some back in, I think. Not 100% sure.

Double
19) Fan requested original alternate color palette based on a double rainbow.

I think is a reference of "Rainbows colors sprites" of Paul Roberston art:
evolution_animated.gif

expedition.gif

Something rainbow-colored changing colors along the spectrum isn't really exclusive to one artist. It would have to be explicitly stated that that's the reference by either the backer or someone from Lab Zero.

From what was said by Lab Zero folk, the backer's request was "Double Rainbow", since it was the only Double palette request at the time Lab Zero decided to go wild with it and that's the story of that.

Reactions: Shamash-Nui
I'd wager Double Rainbow is a meme reference.

Incidentally, I wonder if the "Double Rainbow Principle" could be applied in specific parts of a character's color map like, I dunno, a Ragyo palette for Eliza with a rainbow ankh? :3

Palette # 17 (DLC Palette that's Haruko from FLCL) also got changed since it had Red Crosses on a White Background

9niecGp.png

I'd wager Double Rainbow is a meme reference.

Incidentally, I wonder if the "Double Rainbow Principle" could be applied in specific parts of a character's color map like, I dunno, a Ragyo palette for Eliza with a rainbow ankh? :3

That would be cool, but Parasoul definitely needs a Satsuki Palette either way. It would look pretty awesome.

Fukua now exists! Posting this to verify:

1. Default color palette.
  2. Original alternate color palette.
  3. Original alternate color palette.
  4. Decapre (Cammy, USF4)
  5. Ermac (Scorpion/Sub Zero, MK3)
  6. Shadow Lady (Chun Li, MVC)
  7. Akuma (Ryu/Ken, SF2:ST)
  8. Mecha Zangief (Zangief, MVC2)
  9. Original alternate color palette.
  10. Sean (Ken, SF3)
  11. Rain (Scoprion/Sub Zero, UMK3)
  12. Reptile (Scorpion/Sub Zero, MK)
  13. Whatever this is: http://blackbookalpha.tumblr.com/post/51545982318/skullgirls-the-legend-of-maeruto-suezumaeki
  14. Falco (Fox, SSBM)
  15. Alpha-152 (Kasumi, DOA5)
  16. Evil Ken (Ken, SVC: Chaos))
  17. Shadow (Sonic)
  18. Eva Earlong (Jazz Jackrabbit, OMF2014)
  19. Allen Snider (Ken, SFEX)
  20. Red Venom (Venom, MVC)

@Pizzarino Since you organised your list in a "name of clone (name of original, game title)" template, I'd like to clarify one position in particular.
18. Eva Earlong (Jazz Jackrabbit, OMF2014)
To be exact, it's Eva Earlong's Shadow (a mech she's piloting in the game). This particular reference isn't to a Eva being a clone of Jazz as much as to OMF's Shadow instead, given how Fukua's clone attacks were strongly inspired by said mech. The robots in the game don't heave default palettes, so it had to be combined with some pilot's colors to make the reference.

Also, the game title is OMF 2097. All that being said, I'd put that position as "18. Eva Earlong's Shadow (OMF 2097)".

Also, the game title is OMF 2097. All that being said, I'd put that position as "18. Eva Earlong's Shadow (OMF 2097)".

The future is now.

Fukua now exists! Posting this to verify:
Evil Ken (Ken, SVC: Chaos)
I think he's actually named Violent Ken. Something about KoF Orochi powers or something.

Dunno where else to post this but this thread's about palettes so I guess this works. If I'm gonna keep playing Peacock/Big Band/Fukua I need some sort of totally sick color scheme to use, but I can't think of anything. I have all these great ideas and they all ALMOST work but then don't:

MVC characters: Cable Peacock + Mecha Zangief Fukua + ??? (why doesn't Big Band have a Juggernaut palette? I'm stressed)
3s characters: Sean Fukua + Q Big Band + ???
Animu: Sayaka Peacock + Nonon Big Band + ??? (Fukua doesn't have a single palette that's not from a fighting game, god damn it)
Sonic the Hedgehog: Shadow Fukua (oh except for this one) + Big the Cat Big Band + ???
Boston Bruins: Peacock color 5 + Big Band color 5 + ??? (Fukua doesn't have anything that's black and gold, like over half the cast does? arrg)

Can anyone help me out here? This is important to my life

Reactions: earlfriend