• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Palettes of Skullgirls

I always liked how that fatality made no sense whatsoever.

Reactions: Medici Mob Boss
I always liked how that fatality made no sense whatsoever.
It makes perfect sense! He's got cybernetic enhancements so OF COURSE he can grow bigger! DUH. It's like "Nuh-uh, my truck can SO drive up walls!"

Two New Robo Fortune Palettes!
Left: Monsoon (Metal Gear)
Right: Iron Man (Marvel)
ifwEs5Q.png

Two New Robo Fortune Palettes!
Left: Monsoon (Metal Gear)
YES, I KNEW THEY WERE GOING TO DO IT.
THERE'S NO WAY THEY COULDN'T DO IT.

Surprised the Iron Man palette wasn't added earlier.

Personally I like when they spread out the release of palettes, it gives us a steady drip of content between major updates and DLC releases.

Everyone gettin' hype for the exquisite Monsoon and Iron Man colors while overlooking the third, equally cool, color. Even the wiki skipped over it (as of this writing, they only list 11). Since there wasn't anything in the patch notes, the following is my conjecture:

10. Sonny from I, Robot (2004)
ILA3ga6.jpg
G0QhG05.jpg

Remember that Will Smith movie adapted from Isaac Asimov short stories? Remember the creepy, uncanny valley not-quite-but-almost-there CG effects? If yes, slam your fists on the table and shout "I did not murder him!"
I wonder if Robo-Fortune ever attempted to follow the three prime directives....
Maybe my guess is wrong and this is original, or from a Bjork music video....

11. Monsoon from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
9jfD6RL.jpg
Fq3uSj7.jpg

Perfectly captures the character with amazing shading fan-palette-makers never dreamed of. It seems highly anticipated. A quick search of the fantastic fan palette thread has a few hits:
May 16, 2014 ZatotheHeretic's Monsoon palette for Ms. Fortune
July 8, 2014 leetnoobify's Monsoon palette for Robo-Fortune
July 10, 2014 Balder finds a R.Fortune Monsoon on the abominable Know Your Meme site

12. Iron Man from Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
HRX5s6h.jpg
ZDFYsQa.jpg

Armor connoisseurs will recognize the armor is from the Extremis arc (Jan 2005 - Apr 2006) in Iron Man comics.

Heh, I thought of I, Robot as well, the second I used it in-game. If it's NOT it it's either an original or something a lot more obscure.

And the best part is R.Fortune is just starting. She's still another +10 to go.

Heh, I thought of I, Robot as well, the second I used it in-game. If it's NOT it it's either an original or something a lot more obscure.
I agree. Sonny was the first thing I thought of, but the more I look at it, the more I notice how it doesn't work in some parts.

2SrDtx0.jpg
1. "Björk-bot" from Björk's All is Full of Love music video Allllllll is full of loooooooove ♫
2. EVE from WALL·E (2008) Quite possible...
3. Marvin from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)

More droids that work. And sort of don't work.

IRON MAN? MORE LIKE IRON MEW
Iron Nyan has a nice ring to it too

[On Robo Fortune's new Iron Man palette] the red color is MUCH too popcorn pink moreso than red. ironman's thingy is deeper i feel. I don't think the palette itself is off but perhaps the highlights are too bright...can't quite put my finger on it.

p.s. thanks for that palette though :)

Cellsai Mod Edit: Moved this thread in here from elsewhere. [] is mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
10. Sonny from I, Robot (2004)
ILA3ga6.jpg
G0QhG05.jpg

White robot with black trim is a very common color scheme, so we could basically pull characters out of our asses for weeks trying to guess which particular one they were going for. I'ma go with my favorite, Drossel von Flugal from Fireball Charming :P

77887.jpg
Drossel%20von%20Fl%C3%BCgel%208-500x500.jpg

*nods* I'm convinced. The gynoid duchess Drossel von Flügel fits the black and white placement profile much better than the other candidates.

I feel kinda bad. Maybe I should have underlined when I said "conjecture" because the wiki now has my Sonny guess. Sorry Delphox (I saw your note in the page history), if you are reading this, #10 is more likely Cellsai's guess, Drossel von Flügel from Fireball. I got too much hype and became misleading.

That is, as said in above posts, if it is not a reference and just another entry to the universal white robot design seen everywhere. Like The Talos Principle. There. Just thought of another one. They're everywhere.

the red color is MUCH too popcorn pink moreso than red. ironman's thingy is deeper i feel. I don't think the palette itself is off but perhaps the highlights are too bright...can't quite put my finger on it.

In the comics, I agree Iron Man's red is closer to crimson, but I think #12 nicely matches the arcade-red of Iron Man in the Marvel vs. games. Personally, I think the Extremis armor has too much red and prefer to see more gold-balanced armors.

y'know, with things getting to robo-fortune, i figure i'd get some palette thoughts out of the way. mostly with ordering:

mainly that every character seems like they should probably have a blue color at #2, a red color at #3, a black/yellow/white color at #5 and a story relevant color at #7. for consistency.

Ms. Fortune - Swap #4 & #7. Celty being her "story" color was always kinda off to me.
Fukua - Swap #4 & #5. The Ermac isn't in line with the other black/yellow/white colors. Swap #3 & #16. Swap #2 & #6.
Beowulf - Swap #8 & #5. Zubaz is more fitting at #5 than wolvie. Swap #2 & #4.

Reactions: BallotBoxer
Miss Fortune didn't have anything story-related that we could come up with, so we decided something most similar to the silhouette drawing of her.

I don't even think I bothered to consider any order for Fukua.

Beowulf is not done.

Reactions: old_gus and Wenzel
Miss Fortune didn't have anything story-related that we could come up with, so we decided something most similar to the silhouette drawing of her.
Makes sense. I just sorta figured the closest color having "story" relevance would be #4, which is her old "original" colors.

Beowulf is not done.
That's good hear. Beo's got some neat colors.

Speaking of "story colors", who decides which palettes are used ingame for the Double clone fights? The Big Zam palette appearing BB's story mode always seemed a little silly to me, especially when there's that awesome original sepia palette to choose from.

Changed R. Fortune palette #10 to unknown, since I'm not even sure if it's meant to be a reference to anything.

Reactions: Medici Mob Boss
Changed R. Fortune palette #10 to unknown, since I'm not even sure if it's meant to be a reference to anything.

Or we could be "Drossel von Flugal from Sonny from I, Robot (2004)"
pun.png

Reactions: Delphox
or it could be Marvin from HHGTG

Speaking of "story colors", who decides which palettes are used ingame for the Double clone fights? The Big Zam palette appearing BB's story mode always seemed a little silly to me, especially when there's that awesome original sepia palette to choose from.
I don't...know? Probably Mike.

It's something, but I'd rather watch people run around in circles than say what it actually is.

Or Mike will.

As much as I want it to be Marvin, Drossel looks to be the closest match.
Based solely on where the black patches are in the color. Meaning there's a lot of room for error.
I really want it to be Marvin tho.

"Life, boop meow, don't talk to me about life."
"I've been talking to my creator, beep, it hates me."

Though "I've calculated your chance of survival, but I don't think you'll like it." would make an awesome intro quote.

someone please post updated Iron Meown?

Different colors means different armor homage! The kneecaps didn't fit Extremis so I assumed it was a work-in-progress. The armor reference looks to be...

OHDIe9S.gif

The Modular Armor (Model XVIII, Mark I)
Iron Man from 1994. This popular armor has appeared in games (Marvel Super Heroes and Marvel vs. Capcom 2) and in television shows (like Iron Man's own animated series, and during cameos in Spider-Man's animated series).

Also, as I already seen the question asked around a couple times, the new palette replaced this one.

Good, because thats was a ugly pallete.

Whens Earthworm Jim Squigly pallete? j.k.

Last edited:
Reactions: Armageddon11
Also, as I already seen the question asked around a couple times, the new palette replaced this one.
Aww I liked that palette, made him look Indian or something.
Is this new one supposed to reference something or what?

Mike didn't say anything about it being a reference. He generally always does when that is the case, so I'm guessing original.

If that new Beowulf color is indeed not an out-of-Skullgirls reference, it could always be the color to reference something in his Story Mode <or the referee>, as it's in the #7 spot that customarily is reserved for story palettes. Otherwise, I personally think it's either Shadow from Sonic or a Black Power Ranger.

Speaking of Beowulf, I come bearing gifts! Not only do I have all the Wulfamania milk gallons, but I noticed that Beowulf's Hype Confetti also has been palettized, so I took those <and a small bonus thing> as well!

1024x575.resizedimage
1024x575.resizedimage
1024x575.resizedimage
1024x575.resizedimage
1024x575.resizedimage
1024x575.resizedimage
1024x575.resizedimage
1024x575.resizedimage
1024x575.resizedimage
1024x575.resizedimage
1024x575.resizedimage
1024x575.resizedimage