• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Road to Becoming a Competent Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for trying take my titan throne combo :^P after the patch with the chair's speed I had to call out the assist just as I'm doing cr. mk into titan knuckle which is a tiny bit more of a pain the arse kept on making M LnL. ._. anyways, keep up the work

Reactions: gllt
I used to do it with bike, I saw yours with throne, but it seemed like you were calling it before you were even in the string.. so I gave it a shot and found out the timing for Double just for shits and giggles. It's not something I'd do in a match.. maybe!

Mind you, that my video was before the update to the throne so to combo i had to call the assist just before the string happens. Now with the update you have to call it just after cr .mk, it makes for a better combo.

Last edited:
9w9TDPw.png

@Mike_Z the most amazing things to date since the combo video are up in the above videos.....

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate it. I'm going to keep working hard. And hopefully get better in actual matches soon. I really like this game.
Got you homie getting you that recognition and definitely NOT flaccid from these videos B)

Today, I considered dropping Parasoul. If it's not obvious, that means something is terribly wrong.
Instead of doing that, after talking with @fenster and @Mr Peck I realized some things about what characters I enjoy playing and how I want to play this game.

I've decided I need help. Right now, I'm going to go eat lunch and enjoy myself. I only get crawfish once a year. When I get back, I'm going to write a post and tag some people that I think can help me, if they're willing. I will explain what I need help with and I will respect and listen to what information and tips I'm given, and try not to be too hard headed. (Because I can be very hard headed about my choice of team order and assists but if that comes into the discussion, I understand.)

I'm not upset or sad, I'm actually pretty happy and at peace right now after talking over some things. I grew up a little bit and got over some of my pride and childish ideas. I'm ready to learn. I'm ready to have fun. I won't stop making combo videos or ridiculous tech, I won't quit playing pocket teams and randoms, I won't give up silly assist choices from time to time, but I've decided on a solid team of characters, for now, that I enjoy playing, that I feel I'm somewhat effective with, that suit how I want to play the game, and I have no shame over any of it, because that in itself is ridiculous. I'm ready to truly play competitively. I'm done hiding in my hole in the lab, I'm not going to quit the lab, but from here on out, I'm devoting time to real matches and learning what it means to really play a fighting game at a high level, and to enjoy doing so as well.

Thank you, SGC. It probably sounds silly,
but you've made a difference in my life.

I will make it to EVO 2015 @Hilary I promise. And I'll be ready.

Taking a page from the @Hilary school of git gud. Let's make all the teams so that I can learn everyone's options a bit better. And have fun.

Main team:
Para/Double/Val (Pillar/MBomber/HBypass)

My favorite characters to play that I feel solid with. And yes, Val is anchor. I know. I know.
I do have uses for Bypass in neutral, trust me. I use it as a means to space people out when I want to be an asshole and spam tears. :^)
Also it gives me all the damage, cool and practical combo extensions throughout my Parasoul combos, and allows me to pick up things from a distance.
I'll be exploring applications of Bypass for Double, but I already have faith they will be fun and interesting as they are for Parasoul.
MBomber for rushdown pressure whether I'm Val or Para. I don't have the best alpha counters with this team unless I have extensive meter, but Parasoul is a good battery.
Double gets command dash with Pillar out of this as well. Para gets a safe DHC to Cat Heads and Double gets to escape with Car > Scalpels.
Val might can get out with Scalpels/EKG > Cat Heads/Bikes or some such. We'll see how things pan out. Alpha counter into Bypass xx Counter? You bet. I'm brave.

Pocket teams:
Pea/Bella/Squigly (sHP/HLnL/DnB)

I've always liked Pea/Bella and Squig/Bella, this is a marriage of those teams. Pea builds meter that Squigly loves and Bella doesn't mind having it either.
LnL is golden for Pea and I imagine it could be very useful for Squigly during her dangerous and scary frame trap/mix up games.
Bella loves DnB for simple yet damaging combos in the corner and midscreen and Peacock loves it for mixups and pressure.
Squigly and Bella get a free projectile and lockdown from Pea sHP, which isn't a bad concept at all. Alpha counter sHP > MBang/Lenny?
Alpha counter into LnL is classic and DnB can be converted into SBO.
Lenny > 360 unblockable and DHCs to SBO to save asses.

Fukua/Filia/Painwheel (HDrill/Updo/Throw)

Three of my worst nightmares. Fukua gives me hell. Filia gives me hell. Painwheel is hell for me to play.
Updo gives Fukua some extra protection and Painwheel throw assist has been proven to be an annoyance to deal with.
The sisters both have supers that can guarantee a combo afterwards and 2/3rds of this team runs a solid Low/Throw game.
Filia and Painwheel will get nice conversions from Drill. Painwheel will enjoy calling the assists during flight, one has a good vertical range, the other horizontal.
Alpha counters into Drill and Updo might work out alright, PW throw, who knows. Might find some nice install routes too.

Big Band/Fortune/Eliza (LExtend/HFiber/Couch)

I only feel comfortable with BB on point. I feel like Fiber and Couch could give him some interesting control over the field allowing him to play his game a bit safer.
He may be one of the few characters who could reliably convert off Fiber as well, if only through A-Train. But that's good damage anyways. Even scaled.
Fortune and Eliza will benefit from the DP assist and get easy conversions off it. Couch and Extend may prove to be useful to headless combo extension and allowing time to recall the head.
LExtend and Fiber will help prevent people from rushing Eliza down, which is supposedly her weakness. She may also be good at converting off them through means of Divekick servant.
All three characters can simply stay at one side of the screen and try to give you hell and two of them (Fortune/Eliza) can also choose to rush you down and be offensive, especially with beat extend backing them up.

I'm fucking trash.

I'm fucking trash.
Hey if you keep working on SG youll get better! Reminds me of a story of one of my good friends who felt he was trash at injustice and kept trying to quit the game. But I told him keep practicing and buff out matchups, and you can succeed! Don't be too hard on yourself, because you will never know how good you can get at the game. The same friend I told not to quit Injustice, made it to Winners and grand finals with me at EVO. If you keep putting in the time and effort, you could destroy all of us lol

Sorry for becoming XTREME SADBOYS last night but man do I have really great friends holy shit SGC. Thank you again.

Let's.. get back on track.

@mcpeanuts I see you, hey, I suck vs your team pls wreck me until I understand a bit maybe?? also I think you're east coast so maybe green ping eyyyy (I'm gulf coast ftr)
@dekillsage My Parasoul neutral needs WORK I'm STRESSED she's my MAIN and when I play her my brain goes out the window and I eat all the reversals and shit help (maybe help with dubz 2)
@Skarmand You have ALWAYS REKT ME and I'm sorry for declining your match last night (s a d b o y s) It's time we got some semi regular sets in maybe?? Canada ping gud
@worldjem You too, our ping was really good the other day and you destroyed me and that means I should fight you even more
@SonicFox5000 SHOOT MY DEAD ASS
@Domo When you're done with UNIEL let's work towards forming our EVO 2015 team y/n fite me
@Dreamepitaph Fukua me up maybe??
@Hilary Let's get in a set sometime, it's been a while
@Choose Goose SAME FOR YOU In exchange, incoming sick val/double tech kk omw
@Muro bb I have not spoken enough to you lately or fought you since our SNS match, I am so sorry <3 I'll make it up to you with a magical set

That's enough tags for now, sorry if you all flood in to fight me at once, I'll get this lined up/sorted out when I start getting responses yeah???

Little did you know....
I ALREADY DID

Sorry for becoming XTREME SADBOYS last night but man do I have really great friends holy shit SGC. Thank you again.

Let's.. get back on track.

@mcpeanuts I see you, hey, I suck vs your team pls wreck me until I understand a bit maybe?? also I think you're east coast so maybe green ping eyyyy (I'm gulf coast ftr)
@dekillsage My Parasoul neutral needs WORK I'm STRESSED she's my MAIN and when I play her my brain goes out the window and I eat all the reversals and shit help (maybe help with dubz 2)
@Skarmand You have ALWAYS REKT ME and I'm sorry for declining your match last night (s a d b o y s) It's time we got some semi regular sets in maybe?? Canada ping gud
@worldjem You too, our ping was really good the other day and you destroyed me and that means I should fight you even more
@SonicFox5000 SHOOT MY DEAD ASS
@Domo When you're done with UNIEL let's work towards forming our EVO 2015 team y/n fite me
@Dreamepitaph Fukua me up maybe??
@Hilary Let's get in a set sometime, it's been a while
@Choose Goose SAME FOR YOU In exchange, incoming sick val/double tech kk omw
@Muro bb I have not spoken enough to you lately or fought you since our SNS match, I am so sorry <3 I'll make it up to you with a magical set

That's enough tags for now, sorry if you all flood in to fight me at once, I'll get this lined up/sorted out when I start getting responses yeah???
to you sir its fukuma. i plan to make myself known for rare fukua

Although this is aimed at Melee, the player getting advice in this article seems to have a similar problem to you where they kind of just fall back on auto-pilot and hope that gets them out of a mess. I like the discusson on "Goal-Based" approach to fighting games because it makes you realize that your opponent goes for certain things at certain times for a reason and realizing this can help you get out of auto-pilot mode because it means you're paying attention to what you and your opponent want to do and gives you an idea as to how to approach a matchup.

http://myneverendingbrainstorm.blogspot.ca/2014/07/goals-in-ssbm-intro-to-player-vs-player.html

Just try to take the points here and apply them to SG.

For example: At round start, what are your character and your opponent's character's options and what do each of you want to accomplish from this position? How about at fullscreen? When under pressure? When you are pressuring? What does each player like going for (either habitually or optimally) in terms of resets, mixups, Air-to-Air, defense, and ground pokes?

Based on your and your opponent's team composition, what do you think the general gameplan is for each player?

What are the tools you and your opponent have to accomplish these goals?

Hope this helps!

At round start, what are your character and your opponent's character's options and what do each of you want to accomplish from this position?

>Fighting Uzu or Skarmand
>Para first
>ACTION
>crushingwaveofdespair
>crushingwaveofdespair
>crushingwaveofdespair
>crushingwaveofdespair
>crushingwaveofdespair
>Para gets the hit
>welp
>Play Again

>Fighting Uzu or Skarmand
>Para first
>ACTION
>crushingwaveofdespair
>crushingwaveofdespair
>crushingwaveofdespair
>crushingwaveofdespair
>crushingwaveofdespair
>Para gets the hit
>welp
>Play Again

I'm thinking I may actually have to deviate from this pattern sometimes and I know how to do so, maybe. :^)

>Para first
>YELLOW LIGHT
>crushingwaveofpatience
>crushingwaveofpatience
>crushingwaveofpatience
>crushingwaveofpatience
>crushingwaveofpatience
>Para gets the first taste of control
>welp
>Play Again

Reactions: Mr Peck
Sure thing, hit me up on the streams.

Also is there any chance you could put the videos in spoiler tags? They're cool but I have to load all of them every time I view this thread and my work computer can barely handle that :x

Sure thing, hit me up on the streams.

Also is there any chance you could put the videos in spoiler tags? They're cool but I have to load all of them every time I view this thread and my work computer can barely handle that :x

A) Steams or streams, and which streams
B) Spoilered all multi video posts (I think) and will do so from now on!
C) @mcpeanuts so I make sure you see this

A) Steams or streams, and which streams
B) Spoilered all multi video posts (I think) and will do so from now on!
C) @mcpeanuts so I make sure you see this
A) Steams, as in, PC.
B) Thanks.
C) I have it set up so I'm notified any time someone quotes me, but thanks :)

MAN I LIKE PEACOCK TOO MUCH THOUGH DO YOU EVEN KNOW

Last edited:

Last edited:
That is a weird looking combo. Would probably call hacks if you did that to me.

Well, I don't feel like I really should be posting here, but you asked me to in chat last night, so...

The big thing I notice is that whenver I (or anyone else, it seems) plays against you, it's a vortex of "WTF is going on here" that works in your favor about 90% of the time. But that last 10% is killing you; a lot of your shenanigans leave you really unsafe right in your opponent's face, and you're going to die really hard when you face players who don't always mess up their really easy punishes (so, players who aren't me, basically). You need a foundation of solid "standard" play to build your house of shenanigans on top of; not a house of shenanigans built on a foundation of shenanigans where the house is bullet-proof but sinking into a quicksand foundation (god, that metaphor was awful, I'm sorry).

Also, when you're on defense, block more, mash less. Current undizzy mechanics mean that getting counterhit because your mash wasn't timed perfectly (or because you ate an IAD while mashing throw *cough*) is a massive cost to eat.

@Hilary

Code:
<Stuff`> uh
<Stuff`> if val's 236p got changed
<Stuff`> does that affect assist too?
<Stuff`> I should just check
* DJAzure (~DJAzure@cpe-76-169-101-115.socal.res.rr.com) has joined
<Stuff`> it does
<Stuff`> dammit
<gllt> Stuff` no it doesn't
<gllt> I tested it earlier
<gllt> for hilary
<Stuff`> but it does
<wingzero> DJAzure up for more uniel?
<gllt> like several times
<gllt> well then you're
<Stuff`> I did it just now
<gllt> blind/dumb??
<cybik> #firstworldproblems delivery boi skipped delivering my new toy^H^H^Hwork tablet
<gllt> how does it affect it
<gllt> maybe i mis checked it??
<Stuff`> I'm doing h shuriken
<Stuff`> maybe the strength does things
<gllt> are you trying ot test if she still throws a loaded vial
<gllt> as an assist
<Stuff`> yes
<RickoniX> Morelia: the only people who belong on there are muten roshi and mustang
<RickoniX> and they're both utter shitlords
<Stuff`> and she does not
<Stuff`> nit anymore
<Stuff`> not*
<gllt> shit, maybe when hilary asked me to test it
<BrandX> oh hey finally some eliza balance
<gllt> i was in retail training mode and didnt think about what i was doing
* VIVr has quit (Ping timeout: 360 seconds)
<gllt> Stuff` you're right, sorry
<gllt> im whinig to mike about that ASAP
* VIVr_ is now known as VIVr
<Stuff`> calling me dumb :c
<gllt> I said sorry :3
<Agent_J> i like that change
<Stuff`> but you can't vial assist anymore
<Stuff`> not even holding assist does anything

thanks @Stuff

edit: @Mike_Z can we make assist always throw the vial if loaded if this change stays??

Just make the vial assist 2P and the shuriken assist 1P

what if I still want shuriken when vial isn't loaded?

Oh well.

The changes are nicer for Val's neutral than Dead Cross or Vials as assists would be for other characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.