• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Road to Becoming a Competent Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish more people stopped Unlisting their everything

I'm actually going to be making a lot of things public soon

I can't stop paying attention to how oddly I played during that set. Like, playing a trio with an unfamiliar character changed how I played with my other characters. It must be the damage output/fear factor being different. I've never been good at giving gameplay advice, but I can tell you that you should grab more overall, especially if you're gonna have Eliza and Parasoul on your team.

Also, upload away, man. Dang I eat some overheads.

Reactions: gllt
I can't stop paying attention to how oddly I played during that set. Like, playing a trio with an unfamiliar character changed how I played with my other characters. It must be the damage output/fear factor being different. I've never been good at giving gameplay advice, but I can tell you that you should grab more overall, especially if you're gonna have Eliza and Parasoul on your team.

Even if trios are generally agreed to be better than duos I really, really, really respect Bella/Band damage at 1.3 damage.

Reactions: drewski and gllt
You are free to upload anything involving me. Anything goes

fought @RickoniX 4-30

b4wUwFi.png

thats enough skullgirls for me
might upload it later when i feel like it

#INEEDCAROL

I MUST PLAY PAINWHEEL RIGHT NOW I CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT IT

A 4-hour-long hiatus? Damn your will is uncomparable!

0-20 with isavulpes on his stream, first 10 with my main team, about 7 with val/fil/bella, 3 with random select (pw/fortune/fukua)

hi @Dreamepitaph wanna destroy me tomorrow and let me record it and post it here I don't think I feel like shit enough

hm pick a time.

whenever we're both online and i hit you up and invite you to the room hows that

• I have no pressure
  • I have no approach
  • I have no defense
  • I can't do alternating guard
  • I can't PBGC
  • I can't tech throws
  • I can't deal with tick throws
  • I can't reversal
  • I can't bait reversals
  • I can't jump and block (in any direction)
  • I can't DHC consistently
  • I can't alpha counter on time
  • I can't do the correct jab (crouching versus standing)
  • I have no idea how to control space
  • I have no idea how to play this game
  • d02UoJX.jpg

one thing that keeps me wondering is why do random selects? just pick and FOCUS on characters you WANT to use to dominate "your way"

for me i learned squigly for the "pressure"

i learned bella for the imtimidating factor of pressure via just being next to someone

i learned flia for rushing people over before they have time to think

i learned ms fortune because of being able to use the head while fighting which allows me to somewhat control space. (her air normals suck

i learned fukua BECAUSE i can dictate how you come at me.

everything about my playstyle is mainly for being able to get in and put you in the blender and to read you if i so choose.

why do you pick up those characters and what is your playstyle?

Why do random selects?

I did a ft10 with my main team. That is more than enough. I've ran much longer sets with my main team. Why switch? Because I was salty and learning nothing and I competently play enough other characters to form other teams and play those at almost the same level as my main team. A lot of my issues are not team specific, but universal and would play out if I played through each solo in the game and every team with every possible counterpick assist. No amount of changing will help me. Therefore, it's not gonna hurt me much worse either, and it at least makes me want to continue playing the game a bit more somewhat. I was either going to switch.. or quit. So I switched. If anyone questions that again, okay fine, I guess I don't need your advice, to be honest! Thanks for pointing that out. I'm hard headed. After I lose a solid 10-20 matches with my main team, I'd like to be a casual and play some fuckin' randoms! Maybe I'll learn to block!

What's my playstyle? I don't know, I don't know anything about this game.

This sounds like it has nothing to do with Skullgirls, but I promise you it has everything to do with Skullgirls and me training and freaking out horribly whether I do badly (or not!)

I might have bipolar 2. I'm gonna talk to my doctor about that this month. Yeah. Sorry for being a total whackjob half the time! Apparently I might be dealing with more than depression and anxiety. It's not an excuse for me being salty, but it definitely might contribute to it. So, yeah. I'm not quitting SG, I'm gonna keep playing, and keep a casual-match mindset about it and play to have fun, and realize I have issues that interfere with the ability to do that sometimes.. and it's okay. I'm dealing with those issues. I promise.

I'm sorry for letting them get the best of me and I'm sorry for not being a more healthy and productive member of the SGC like I intended to be all along. I'll try harder.

Thanks @Shin ATproof for the advice on how to treat playing the game. That's what advice I really needed.

fwiw I think it's cool you play a lot of characters. I say just play the whole cast and counter pick everyone.

fwiw I think it's cool you play a lot of characters. I say just play the whole cast and counter pick everyone.

That's BEEN ON MY MIIIIIND for real lmaonade

Reactions: mcpeanuts
2-12 with dawn111

(its processing)

@IsaVulpes reminder to watch this

Last edited:
I wanna play this game in real life with someone so I can decide already

• Are my reactions actually too slow or
  • FUCK NETPLAY
I want to think it's me, but it hurts, it hurts bad, and I want to think it's netplay for once, because I'm tired of the pain.

As a very patient/defensive/stupid player that tries to block a lot, I would've quit skullgirls a long, long, long time ago if netplay were the only way I ever got to play the game.

This frustration with blocking and feeling like the game is bullshit is about where I was before my first offline thing in Vancouver. If it weren't for that tournament/experience opening my eyes, I seriously would've dropped this game. Offline is a completely different game. I cannot stress that enough.

Mashing doesn't work, you get throw techs, and some things are still just as scary (i.e., Winnie or Sev's Filia) but for the most part, it makes you realize that you are making the right reads and reactions more often than you think you are. You just don't know how often you're being fucked out of it by the online experience until you've played lots of sets offline and can better judge where the internet:personal failings fall.

Online, I think I may block Skarmand's peacock telepillar thing about a tenth of the time, but I think I blocked about 8-9 attempts in a row at the last offline event. He still handed me my ass for other reasons, but I was very happy to realize that at least that one particular thing I'd been frustrated with was less my fault than I thought it was. Similarly, a lot of the painwheel things I'm able to hit Goose or CorpseFeast with online stop working as soon as we're in the same room/setup and it takes some adjustment to realize something you've been doing is less solid than you thought.

vs tjgamer/swiftfox-dash

processing

I watched the first 25 minutes and one thing that bugged me is you not using meter to go for the kill and instead going for resets. Then you got wrecked by the low-life character. Gotta use that meter.

So far I enjoyed watching though and I'll check out the rest later.

That's BEEN ON MY MIIIIIND for real lmaonade
This is interesting to think about, actually. If you can play every character, what is the best counterpick team for every matchup? It's sort of hard to think about in a vacuum because you may say oh they're using Painwheel so I'll counterpick with Parasoul, except this opponent also uses Peacock and decides to change his team order. Thinking about that makes my head hurt so I'm only gonna worry about what point character the opponent has, and hope they don't change it. Listed in order of most sure to "man idk I don't play this damn character".

Peacock: Valentine/Filia (Updo)/Bella (H Lock N Load)
Big Band: Parasoul/Bella (Cerecopter)/Fukua (L Shadow)
Squigly: Peacock/Filia (H Updo)/Big Band (H Brass)
Double: who cares, no one plays point Double except to counterpick, even Negus doesn't do that anymore
Painwheel: Peacock/Bella (H Lock N Load)/Parasoul (Pillar)
Filia: Parasoul/Big Band (L Beat Extend)
Bella: Peacock/Squigly (Drag N Bite)/Big Band (H Brass)
Parasoul: Peacock/Fukua (H Drill)/Fortune? (Is this still considered a bad matchup?) (H Fiber)
Fortune: Painwheel/Double (L Hornet Bomber)
Fukua: No clue
Valentine: Val has no bad matchups sorry
Eliza: Beowulf/Robo Fortune (M Rocket Punch)

Reactions: Mr Peck and gllt
I haven't watched everything of the TJ video, but I want to mention one thing, regardless if you know it or not. At 27:51, you block the Argus. You go for the Egret Dive and TJ releases the item drop and you live. Then you....do nothing? You let the egret ride it out then dash in. I haven't had the time to go through the whole video to see if this happens multiple times and you actually know how to handle that, but you really had no excuse not to punish. If you block argus even from almost fullscreen and use Egret Dive, you can Superjump Float and land with a jHP and nail Peacock.

Even if you already knew about this, it sticks out because you had almost 3 full seconds (long in Fighting game land) from the start of the argus to asses the situation when you had blocked the super. If you were nervous when you blocked the argus, you need to realize the times when you block something where you can punish, and use that time in block to both think about "How can I punish this?" as well as assess the match where it is. He had small life and only an item drop, your life was low too but not super low to die from the item drop, and you had no meter. Fighting games are stressful and lightning fast, but sometimes there are gaps where you have a little more time to think, and the timing of argus was one of them.I don't mean it in a "Your reactions aren't good enough for Fighting games!" thing, but it looked like you were unfamiliar with the situation when you had the block so I wanted to emphasize punishing on one bit that was obvious.

Parasoul: Peacock/Fukua (H Drill)/Fortune? (Is this still considered a bad matchup?) (H Fiber)

Yeah it is.

Valentine: Val has no bad matchups sorry

Excuse me if this was meant only as a joke, but I thought some Val players were saying Squiggly was a bad MU for Val?

I wanted to dash in and punish the recovery of argus and then I learned there was none. That's what I get for trying not to 'waste' meter on sniper. :(

Excuse me if this was meant only as a joke, but I thought some Val players were saying Squiggly was a bad MU for Val?
Sort of joking but also sort of yeah I don't think anyone has a 6-4 or better matchup against Val (she's low tier, though). I feel like Squigly/Val is 5-5.

I think the biggest problem I have with every character I play is not only am I 2 slow, I play characters who have normals that are 2 slow

Mashing Furrrtune as my first character taught me a REALLY BAD HABIT of having that fast ass jab that I no longer have
I in fact possibly have the slowest ass jab now (god damn it, princess)

Peacock: Valentine/Filia (Updo)/Bella (H Lock N Load)
I figured Brass was a more annoying assist to face than LnL, is the extra armor that much of a dealbreaker? Or the bigger body? Are there specific patterns to use which beat Brass out of startup, but don't hinder LnL?

Fortune is a bad matchup still probably, but headless only which doesn't look like too good of an anchor for now. Armored assists are kinda annoying for Parasoul to deal with as well.
The most obnoxious anti-Parasoul team I could come up with would probably be Fukua/Pea(H.Bomb)/LnL or Brass. Fukua with Plane is ..annoying.. to approach against, and the usual Projectile counters (Bike, M.Egret, Sniper) all generally just don't work.

I in fact possibly have the slowest ass jab now (god damn it, princess)
Plainwheel

Right behind, though.

I figured Brass was a more annoying assist to face than LnL, is the extra armor that much of a dealbreaker? Or the bigger body? Are there specific patterns to use which beat Brass out of startup, but don't hinder LnL?
I assume it's because brass knocks them full screen which is not optimal for Val/Filia.

This is interesting to think about, actually. If you can play every character, what is the best counterpick team for every matchup?

I thought for the longest time that Team Pali was the best possible team in terms of matchups by selective rearrangement until I watched Ken play TJ and a lot of Noah's matches where Fukua just ran amok. As the game is now, it's probably Team Duck or Team Omni. The team itself has good matchups in that order, and so many failsafes for match pacing.

.. I'll counterpick .. except this opponent .. decides to change his team order.

Noah's forethought and order swapping is something everyone needs to hop on, and a large part of why I want to be able to run Team Duck/Omni, and Team Taluda and use the right team/order for a player matchup.

You know I had Brass there initially and thought about it and put in LnL instead. It might be Brass, though. I think my reasoning was LnL is easier to convert off. Brass is the harder assist for Peacock to get around, though. It's better at preventing her from doing what she wants to do.
I thought for the longest time that Team Pali was the best possible team in terms of matchups by selective rearrangement until I watched Ken play TJ and a lot of Noah's matches where Fukua just ran amok. As the game is now, it's probably Team Duck or Team Omni. The team itself has good matchups in that order, and so many failsafes for match pacing.

Noah's forethought and order swapping is something everyone needs to hop on, and a large part of why I want to be able to run Team Duck/Omni, and Team Taluda and use the right team/order for a player matchup.
There's probably a lot to be said for this, but as far as my teams go all I really wanna do is throw fireballs, and there aren't that many characters good at throwing fireballs, soooo

Reactions: IsaVulpes and gllt
here's my goal

play parasoul and do parasoul things, like anything parasoul does, cause i find it boring to only use a character for one aspect?? like i wanna play her fully realized ok does that make sense?? that's the fun part for me.

then double is just there because I can do her mixups and combos and safe dhc and eliza is there because I can do some of her mixups and combos and she's fun

and that's my team

also I like Eliza more than Double

also hornet bomber is the only way I can get in a lot of times and I'm not sure what couch does for me except smack peacock sometimes because I've learned I'm never going to use my optimal assist combos apparently \o/ thinking of switching to the dumb command grab or smth idk i don't see the point of osiris spiral when i'm running hornet bomber because i uhm??
and then divekick is kinda garbage as an assist as far as i can tell

and then sekhmet assists cost so much METER and they're easy to stuff on startup

does eliza have any good assists outside osiris spiral?? I guess cHK also thats easy to stuff too

like you think man!!
man!!

look at all these good anti peacock assists!!!

until she calls lock n load/bomber and they lose to a physical hit and eliza gets hit with zoning and you're blocking zoning

uhm

so its more like

man!! look at all these anti peacock (worldjem only) assists!! (thanks Fukua dart assist users)

Status
Not open for further replies.