• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

What blue Pikachu? That thing is clearly still yellow.
You obviously didn't read the link. The blue pikachu and the pikachu in the picture are clearly different pikachus.

Man, I wonder what's gonna happen when the 3DS Version drops in September in Japan.
You think it'll be nothing but Wii U pictures from then on, or will there still be 3DS ones?

Yall, right now in Japan it's Sakurai's birthday (August 3rd), so over on reddit we've been tweeting him birthday messages! If you have a twitter, send him some birthday love! Just send some sort of happy birthday tweet to @Sora_Sakurai and include the hashtag #HappyBirthdaySakurai.

He already replied after midnight his time thanking everyone for the well wishes and noting that he didn't notice it was his birthday yet because he was still at work. Shit, man.

So I like to make sure I have at least one game from every Smash character's franchise so that, come release, I know about them (which is sorta why I don't want Shulk in. Xenoblade is a modern day Earthbound). While Pac Man is like, one of the most famous video game characters ever, I only had ports of the original arcade game.

Well, today, on my local towns buy and sell FaceBook page, I got a game that I think was worth $10 for this animation alone

2589557-smugasspacmanbig.gif

Pic of the day.

In this Smash Bros. installment, this little guy is also making an appearance! I…don't know his name, but he's the Prince of the Sablé Kingdom.

He's from the Game Boy game Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru (translated as The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls), which was only released in Japan.

zlCfzSQe8rcGdTaYwQ

Here's the trophy of the Sablé Prince.

He transforms into a snake or a frog, and unloads multiple attacks on any opponent he catches.

Keep attacking your foes when they're trapped in his dust cloud.

zlCfzSQe9wY4lrCwoE

I know this guy was a fairly common request but realistically, was anyone really counting on this guy becoming playable at any point? He's lucky enough to be an Assist Trophy to be honest.

I've heard him requested by people at least 3 or 4 times on quite a few of the forums I visit. He's not like highly requested to the same degree as say Ridley is but I see him pop up plenty of times.

I've never heard anyone wanting him.

And yeah, Sakurguy could've made him a moveset but I think it's better this way.

It also took me a long time to realize that he's in the Tomodachi Life stage.

Yeah, when I first saw this update, I was like, I have no idea who this guy is, I've never heard of this game before, but it's cool that Sakurai's giving some of the more obscure series some representation.
But then everyone else on the other forum I frequent were like 'Yes, I love this guy, I was hoping he'd get in!

So Famitsu revealed some new custom moves for the characters. Some are boring, but some are a bit more interesting.

• Little Mac neutral B:
    • Regular - strong punch with super armor
    • Faster one that's on fire
    • Slower one with no super armor with lightning that stuns
  • Wii Fit Trainer Neutral B:
    • Regular - Samus-like charge shot
    • Larger, slower one that heals upon hit
    • Small, fast, bullet like ones
  • Rosalina Down B:
    • Regular - Draws in items, deflects projectiles
    • Shakes wand and draws in opponents, does not effect items
    • Luma grows large and acts as a shield floating around Rosalina
9X99jSp.jpg

That last one is interesting. Might be a really good replacement for her competitively-useless down-B (Aside from say, Peaches turnips). Saw some people already discussing that it be her "official" competitive down-b.

Nameless Sable Prince was an uncommon request on Smash Boards, really, only one guy I knew was campaigning hard for him, and honestly, if Takamaru didn't get to be playable, what chance did that guy have?

Wii Fit Trainer having a variation of her neutral-b that heals is very interesting. I wonder what type of efforts they've made into developing things around the idea of team synergy. Competitive 2v2's is one of my favorite ways to play Smash.

Wii Fit Trainer having a variation of her neutral-b that heals is very interesting. I wonder what type of efforts they've made into developing things around the idea of team synergy. Competitive 2v2's is one of my favorite ways to play Smash.

I think her regular neutral B healed in the E3 version.
Yeah.

I think her regular neutral B healed in the E3 version.
Yeah.

Hmm. Interesting. Maybe the variant heals more, perhaps?

Regardless, I'm hoping for more actually different variations for characters. Like Kirby's SUPER FREEZE BREATH or Power Bombs for Samus and stuff like that. While Palutena and Mii Fighters are the only ones confirmed to have totally different moves for each one, it's still neat to see ones that break away from the "slower, more powerful / faster, weaker" idea.

Really though, all things considered it's great that Prince Sable and Takamaru get to be Assist Trophies.
This could mean if they're popular, they could make a comeback in the future, and maybe be playable in the next one.
Little Mac got that last game, who's to say it won't happen again?

Let's be honest one of the best things Smash does is giving franchises second chances.
Fire Emblem came to the west because of Smash Bros, Kid Icarus and Punch-Out came back from the dead, Sin & Punishment got localized...
Smash has power, man.

Speaking of dead-maybe-will-be-revitalized-soon franchises, Club Nintendo updated and you can get Star Fox 64 for 250 coins. So if you don't have it, might be worth picking up on either your Wii or Wii U.

I have 643D so I'm not in a rush for it, however.

Hmm. It seems they've updated the Amiibo page with the HUD for it in game.
tumblr_n9sq27LhaQ1sw8d3mo1_400.png

"Feed Equipment" seems like a way to level it up (by, well, feeding it equipment), while Special seems to be choosing it's moves.

But what's "Collect Gift"? Are there unlockables tied to them? Interesting...

I'd say the gifts tie into Street Pass except this is from the WiiU version. Unless that connectivity Sakurai was hinting towards involves transferring Street Pass data to the WiiU version.

Back