• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Morton for me. That little dude is just so cool.

I've recently beat Classic with everyone, and I gotta say, the only characters I don't have a good feel for are Palutena (w/ default moveset), Fox and Falco.

Morton for me. That little dude is just so cool.

I've recently beat Classic with everyone, and I gotta say, the only characters I don't have a good feel for are Palutena (w/ default moveset), Fox and Falco.

There's something that bothers me with Dr.Mario's jump...

It feels too short....

I think Palutena is going to be either a massive hit or a total disappointment for someone. I still wanna learn her because of my incredibly bias, passionate, stupid love for Uprising.

^ Basically that. She seems way too defense-oriented for my tastes, and the lag on some of her moves. Like seriously, they have good range and disjoints, but god damn is that a whole lot of lag. But, you know, I'm the guy that played Roy in Melee, so compared to THAT mess, this is nothing.
Then again, compared to Roy in Melee, fucking brain surgery is a sleepwalk. Man, Melee Roy fucking sucked. Why did I play him again? Because I'm crazy? Probably.

Okay, so I just finished every character's story mode.
I don't think I'm going to be primarily using more than a handful of characters, which I expected.

Little Mac I knew from the day he was announced I was going to main, and that hasn't changed.
Olimar was my main in Brawl and he's gotten a lot clunkier this time around, but he hasn't been changed so much that I want to drop him.
Peach is still good so I'm sticking to her, though the new delay on her downB is messing with me.
I might eventually get used to Zero Suit again, but the fact that they changed the two moves I relied on most is pushing me away from her.
Oddly enough I'm really liking Dark Pit, don't know why but something about his moves feel right to me.

I think Palutena is going to be either a massive hit or a total disappointment for someone. I still wanna learn her because of my incredibly bias, passionate, stupid love for Uprising.
Pretty much. She's my favorite Kid Icarus character, and she was the character I wanted in Smash the most. I want to get good with her despite the fact that only one of her default specials is offensive.

Reactions: Φ
So far, ZZS, Rosalina, Shiek, and Greninja are my favorites. They all feel great, and are so much fun to play as.

I feel like such a jerk: my four favorite characters are all top tier.

There seems to be am pffocoaç thing happenning right now

Not sure what it is all about but there was a custom moveset match between Rosalina and Mario right now.

Well we've determined that because you can't tell if your opponent is using equipment or not, customs are banned for online tourneys but we see no reason to ban them for offline tournaments right now.

Our stage list is:

Starter: Battlefield, Yoshi's Brawl and FD (we are going to tackle how to handle omegas, but for now it's just FD)
Couterpick: Prism Tower

1 ban

It's restrictive but right now it seems that's the only reasonable choice on 3DS. We tried out Arena Ferox and Tomodachi Life but they both facilitate circle camping and just running away in general, we get far too many time outs on both of these stages.

That seems like a fair ban list, nothing I feel is missing.
My idea for how to handle Omegas would be to count walled variants and floating platform variants as separate for striking purposes, and if one of the two is the selected stage, then gentleman out the specific stage of those variants.
Not very complicated, but I think it would do the job

I think the main issue with omegas is stages where Greninja's shadow sneak becomes invisible.

Because we only have 1 ban, I assume we will treat ALL omegas and FD as one in the same, despite the differences and just ban pictochat, pac maze etc.

Having such a small stage pool it's impossible to run 2 bans with Dave's Stupid Rule in effect and needing to use 2 bans just to get rid of long flat no platform large blastzone stages seems a bit crazy.

Greninja is going to be the new fucking MK with how many stages are banned just by virtue of his existence, which kinda sucks.
I don't think I agree with separating the FDs, the walls change character recovery too much for me to treat them as the same, but oh well, I'm not the one who makes the rules, and I can certainly see why they are being treated as the same, DSR and a small pool to pick from.
Makes me wonder how the no-hazard thing is going to effect it; probably not much, with how few stages it actually makes viable, but I guess we'll have to see how these things pan out.

the only stage where his shadow sneak was impossiblef or me to see was pictochat, most of the other ones wheren't a pitch black floor so you could see the shadow.

It's only omegas that will be banned because of him, though.

The no hazard for 4 player thing is pretty much guaranteed not gonna be on wiiU and it's a lot of hassle, though it would open up the pool a bit.

My biggest problem with the hazard-less thing is how overly crazy people went over it, when in reality, it's one extra 3DS (Which, contrary to popular belief, do NOT grow on trees), more setup time (connecting may not seem like it takes so long, but it adds up), all to MAYBE get Rainbow Road.

And I didn't mean that MK comparison completely, it was hyperbole, but the fact that some Omega forms (Which, may I remind you, were made so that competitive players could see the fancy graphics and hear the fancy music) may get banned because of one move on one character is both hilarious and sad at the same time.

It all constantly comes back to, why didn't they just do a PSASBR and all players to toggle stage hazards?
Like, if there was one thing I wish Smash would copy PSASBR on, it's that.

That's a weird way of spelling "Joltik"

<As disappointed as I am that we didn't get any heavyweight newcomers aside from making large Miis... =P>

It all constantly comes back to, why didn't they just do a PSASBR and all players to toggle stage hazards?
Like, if there was one thing I wish Smash would copy PSASBR on, it's that.

Sakurai seems to think that if he did that, then people would think he was ripping off pass-bar, as opposed to making the single best decision in his game-making life.

Played some more smash tonight. Jigglypuff is now my main, be afraid.

Also, I just recently discovered that there is actually a Gyromite song in Brawl. So I'd be very surprised and disappointed if we don't get a Duck Hunt Medley in the Wii U version.

Reactions: Φ
I'm happy Jigglypuff is finally good again; been like, ten years since that has been the case.
Really, a lot of bad characters are finally good in Smash 4 3DS and Wii U.
Falco still sucks, though, which is kind of a shame.

I dunno, I had a friend who mained Jigglypuff in Brawl, that guy was really scary.
I'm still terrified of Jigglypuff honestly.

I mean, she wasn't unusable in Brawl, she just wasn't preferable, even among that games low-tiers (RA not MK or ICs)
In this, I feel she might have a legit chance at being at least a high mid-tier, maybe even top depending on how the meta develops.

I am only clearing Classic with every character, I'm already worried about my Circle Pad with Smash, doing it all over again with 51 characters is overkill

Back