• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

If that's the case, then why do you even want him in the game.

Because Metroid needs more playable character representation.
And it's missing the central antagonist.
There are people who don't care that Ganondorf is a Falcon clone (though I'm not one of them), they just like that he's in the game.
There are people who don't care Rosalina would never sacrifice her Luma star-babies for her own safety, they just care that she's in the game.

I would prefer that he have a moveset true to his character, but I want him to be playable more than I care about accuracy.

To me it feels like this entire arguement has been people bringing up problems that aren't actually problems and MightyBox correcting.

But I especially find it strange that Sakurai is outright saying that he isn't creative enough to make Ridley a character.

Day 3 of The Ridley Wars

Food goes scarce as both sides hoard it for their own troops

We who do not pick a side are stuck in the crossfire

There has been many casualties, but this war will end one day... right?

As for now, the best thing to do is hide.

Hide and pray.

Smash brothers. Smash brothers never changes.

To me it feels like this entire arguement has been people bringing up problems that aren't actually problems and MightyBox correcting.

But I especially find it strange that Sakurai is outright saying that he isn't creative enough to make Ridley a character.
There are different flavors of creativity. Just look at mortal kombat with it's creative fatalities, or Mozarts creative music, or picasso's art. And by no means is creativity along with functionality easy. If sakurai and his design team, who have been at this for many years (decades in some cases), feel they'd have difficulty making Ridley and doing his character full justice then they're probably correct about their capability to do so. Could someone else do it? Maybe. But please dont use those terrible brawl mods as an example: half the time you can't tell if he's walking, attacking, or jumping even though he's shrunk down (seriously, why the **** would you make a wing flap an ariel attack when he flaps his wings to jump). People are greatly underestimating what it takes to make a character work well and stay true to character all the while keeping to time and budget constraints. All in all, even if Sakurai's specific brand of creativity can't get Ridley right, I believe it may be the best for this game overall even if character I want don't make it in.

I think that this post, if you wanna read all of it, kinda sums up my thoughts on all the statements Sakurai's been making recently.

Like it's honestly hard at this point to find a rhyme or reason to things he says when he's just constantly contradicting himself, this whole Ridley thing is just the latest in a long string of odd statements that don't really make sense.

I don't doubt his game-desiging abilities, but I can't really believe that the guy who made the entirety of Greninja's moveset in one day off of only concept art is honestly having so much trouble with a character as basic as Ridley.

Because Metroid needs more playable character representation.

I get that; I agree with that.
I just don't think it should be Ridley, sue me.

But whatever, I'm probably never going to change this opinion, and I doubt that I can change yours. I'm just going to drop it for now.

So, how about we talk about what is currently in Smash, eh? Vectoring has been completely replaced with classic DI, which makes me very happy; no more get-out-of-combo free cards anymore, and people die easier. Those Ike buff also feel really nice. I can actually win with a character I main in Smash for once.
It's a Christmas miracle.

I knew Ness was gonna get nerfed. Yes it's very minor because dthrow is a combo starter that leads into big damage anyway but I knew it.

How about we get a Mother DLC pack with Nowhere Islands Stage, Lucas back and decloned, and maybe Claus/Masked Man as a newcomer

i dunno an Inkling actually has moveset potential unlike any purple dinosaurs i can think of
Barney will never be in smash

I get that; I agree with that.
I just don't think it should be Ridley, sue me.

But whatever, I'm probably never going to change this opinion, and I doubt that I can change yours. I'm just going to drop it for now.

So, how about we talk about what is currently in Smash, eh? Vectoring has been completely replaced with classic DI, which makes me very happy; no more get-out-of-combo free cards anymore, and people die easier. Those Ike buff also feel really nice. I can actually win with a character I main in Smash for once.
i'm sad about the WFT fair nerf but it makes sense since in unblockable move is pretty ridiculous even if the character isn't great.

In non-argumentative news, my Link amiibo came in the mail early.

I can say that Link's final Amiibo is amazing. The face sculpt is perfect, looks right out of the game. His sword isn't bendy either, and the yellow stand does not look bad in natural (not stage) lighting.

Can't wait to fight him tomorrow! For now, Mario Kart 8 costume!

DON'T FORGET THE BEYBLADE, TANNER
DO NOT FORGET THE BEYBLADE
T H E B E Y B L A D E O F A N T I Q U I T Y

Sadly doesn't come out until the TP Pack does

But I swear to God if it's tier 3 variant is an Amiibo stand, Hyrule Warriors will be best game 10/10 of all time

BUT YES

LINK AMIIBO LOOKS GOOD

MORE UPDATES AS THEY COME IN

edit: Mario and Samus are shipping right now. Should be here next week. No idea why Link came early but I will take it.

Last edited:
I think that this post, if you wanna read all of it, kinda sums up my thoughts on all the statements Sakurai's been making recently.

I think the post below that sums up why I can't stand gamers and criticism, especially negative criticism, towards things I like anymore: because it's getting less constructive and more selfishness and ungratefulness and reading more like conspiracy theories now. (See: that one blogger I bitched about previously in this thread)

So, PM talk time, All-Star Versus is literally the best thing.
I played a ASV match with Lucario, Luigi and MK, 250 Stamina type 5 FD, and I legit couldn't tell if I was playing Marvel or not.
It's fucking incredible.

So the unlock methods for SSB 4 Wii U are out, can't tell if they're harder or easier.
Falco - Beat Classic Mode (even with continues)
Dark Pit - Beat All-Star Mode on Normal
Duck Hunt - Get 1 KO in Cruel Smash
Mr. Game & Watch - Beat Classic Mode with 5 characters
R.O.B. - Beat Crazy Orders with 10 Orders
Lucina - Beat Classic Mode on 5.6 with Marth (includes Master Core)
Dr. Mario - Beat Master Orders on Hard Difficulty
Wario - Complete 100 Man Smash

So the unlock methods for SSB 4 Wii U are out, can't tell if they're harder or easier.
Falco - Beat Classic Mode (even with continues)
Dark Pit - Beat All-Star Mode on Normal
Duck Hunt - Get 1 KO in Cruel Smash
Mr. Game & Watch - Beat Classic Mode with 5 characters
R.O.B. - Beat Crazy Orders with 10 Orders
Lucina - Beat Classic Mode on 5.6 with Marth (includes Master Core)
Dr. Mario - Beat Master Orders on Hard Difficulty
Wario - Complete 100 Man Smash

Quick question, can you still just jump off a cliff a few hundred times?
Because that's all I'm going to do.

Quick question, can you still just jump off a cliff a few hundred times?
Because that's all I'm going to do.
Yes and you can do it much faster because you can set damage to 300% too.

Yes and you can do it much faster because you can set damage to 300% too.

I mean...
Not really.
I didn't get hit or hit something.
I literally just loaded FD one stock and ran off the side 120 times.

Vectoring has been completely replaced with classic DI, which makes me very happy; no more get-out-of-combo free cards anymore, and people die easier. Those Ike buff also feel really nice. I can actually win with a character I main in Smash for once.

This is false. There is no more vertical vectoring, but horizontal vectoring is still in and kind of conflicts with traditional DI. Holding down when hit with a move that has the Sakurai angle results in the least launch speed and distance regardless of percentage.

This is false. There is no more vertical vectoring, but horizontal vectoring is still in and kind of conflicts with traditional DI. Holding down when hit with a move that has the Sakurai angle results in the least launch speed and distance regardless of percentage.

That's not actually Vectoring; it was never actually Vectoring, it was crouch-cancelling being mistaken for Vectoring when early reports were being made. CCing is still as strong as ever in 1.0.4, but Vectoring is very much dead.

That's not actually Vectoring; it was never actually Vectoring, it was crouch-cancelling being mistaken for Vectoring when early reports were being made. CCing is still as strong as ever in 1.0.4, but Vectoring is very much dead.
It's definitely not crouch canceling. There was a research thread on smashboards about this that proved this.

An attack that has a knockback launch speed of 100 is used on an opponent:
No input: 100
Holding down (Not crouching): 87
Holding up: 111

Why would holding up increase the launch speed? Oh right, vectoring.

1 KO in cruel smash? that's it? that seems like a stupid easy one. Gonna try to go unlock all these before a tournament saturday.
Also, i don't remember, was Ness starting roster in 3ds? i didn't think he was. I didn't spoiler this cause he's starting roster in wii u.

1 KO in cruel smash? that's it? that seems like a stupid easy one. Gonna try to go unlock all these before a tournament saturday.
Also, i don't remember, was Ness starting roster in 3ds? i didn't think he was. I didn't spoiler this cause he's starting roster in wii u.
He isn't.

zlCfzSq-SvgUiSkVfl

Pic of the day. The day has finally arrived. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is now available in the Americas!! I hope you'll enjoy this game's many modes and play it as you see fit.

zlCfzSq-S2MXQG2yD4

Here's a look at the controls screen for the Wii U Pro Controller. We needed to match the default settings for all controllers for buttons such as L and R, but there must be players out there that want to use the ZL and ZR Buttons for shielding. You can set the controls closer to the GameCube controller if you set the B Button for standard attacks and Y for special moves. Set up your controls however you like in Controls.

We made it guys. It's here.

Bowser Jr., Ness, Ganondorf, and Jigglypuff are all starter characters in the Wii U version but unlockables in the 3DS version. We've known this since the 50-fact extravaganza.

Bowser Jr., Ness, Ganondorf, and Jigglypuff are all starter characters in the Wii U version but unlockables in the 3DS version. We've known this since the 50-fact extravaganza.
ah, my bad. I kinda stopped following any news after 3ds came out. :P
my god does this game look pretty though.

Back