• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

The sad thing is almost every Metroid boss is too big to be in Smash. Does anyone have an idea to who could probably be in Smash that's from Metroid? This is a long shot, but how about SA-X? I can totally imagine it not being a Samus clone, right? Right?

considering that Saxophone and Shadow the Samhog are almost literally clones of Samus
it would be hard to work around

Really, this just hammers the point home that Metroid needs more recurring characters that aren't giant monsters, if they can't think of a single new Smash Bros. rep from it that can avoid the infamous "too big" argument AND have a unique moveset without it being another version of/a literal clone of Samus.

Really, the only way I see Metroid getting a not-Samus character in Smash is either Adam or go the Villager direction and bring in a generic member of some other race or faction.

I guess he could work. Admiral Dane could too, but then everyone else would just get caught in the WELP ANOTHER SWORD USER stupidness.

Ridley, Rundas, Sylux, Gandrayda, Ghor, Dark Samus, Anthony Higgs, Adam Malcovitch, the SA-X, Computer Adam Malcovitch, and Torizo.

Also with how many boundaries the characters were able to push in Smash 4, ignoring the easy solution of scaling and such, I really don't see why Ridley is "too big".
I get that he's big, but why too big, why couldn't we have a character, say, twice as tall as Samus in a hunched over stance to imply that they're even larger, TvC had characters the size of skyscrapers. If Ridley's identifying trait is his size like everyone seems to think, why can't that be transitioned into a fighting game format?
A large hitbox is as much a detriment as it is an advantage after all.
???

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to post on this again,

See like, here's an image I did a while ago to show what I'm talking about
tumblr_niapkaqVfj1ro0g5eo1_1280.png
Hell, that's not even twice Samus' height but it's still large enough to both accentuate Ridley's sheer size while still making sense as a fighter.

I think that's disgustingly too big. Ridley would be slaughtered by the smaller, quicker characters, and would be the true definition of combo-fodder.

Reactions: Rellek
I hate the "too big" bullshit too, why CAN'T we get a new big character? Is there some unwritten rule that we can't get newcomers that are naturally bigger than Bowser?

Then again, they DO also need to build the stages and scale them with both the largest and smallest characters of each game's roster in mind, would adding someone even bigger now as DLC cause problems for how they play in more enclosed portions of certain stages? Maybe, but we won't know for sure until we have a Smash Bros. game to prove yes or no.

Last edited:
I mean he'd also have the biggest hitboxes, and ideally some tech that would help counter the tiny rushdown characters.
I'm more trying to argue that he'd be playable moreso than he'd be good, ya dig?

I'm not arguing for Ridley specifically, I speak for all characters that can be playable while also being bigger than Bowser

Tyrantrum, for example

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
Sakurai literally only said "Ridley's 2 big guys" and left it at that.

iy0pvfd.png

So you'd guys be cool with a gimped version of Ridley? Maybe you should get a Charizard amiibo, give it the purple color palette, and name it Ridley. That'd also suffice right? As long as his name is Ridley.

Really, this just hammers the point home that Metroid needs more recurring characters that aren't giant monsters, if they can't think of a single new Smash Bros. rep from it that can avoid the infamous "too big" argument AND have a unique moveset without it being another version of/a literal clone of Samus.

Really, the only way I see Metroid getting a not-Samus character in Smash is either Adam or go the Villager direction and bring in a generic member of some other race or faction.
Why not a Chozo? A for real Chozo?

When they make the next Metroid game that goes back to the times of the Chozo being around and the main character is essentially Samus's Guardian Chozo who fights the threats from space upon the Chozo homeworld while traversing other planets and their mysteries, we can have a reason to have a Chozo character in smash.

"Providing accurate portrayals of characters is something I want to pay ample attention to" says the man who made Ganondorf a Falcon clone and made Wario resemble anything besides Wario.

"Providing accurate portrayals of characters is something I want to pay ample attention to" says the man who made Ganondorf a Falcon clone and made Wario resemble anything besides Wario.
Don't forget the most obvious example, Olimar. He's way bigger than he should be in actuality. An ant hole is bigger than him, for crying out loud.

Or how about MOTHER FUCKING SHULK BEING A GODDAMN GOD.

Well, first off, thanks a whole lot for the Xenoblade spoiler, really appreciate that. Would probably be more pissed if that hadn't already been spoiled for me, but that's still mondo uncool brah.

Secondly, how exactly would you go about balancing someone who is literally a god in a fighting game and have him be an 'accurate portrayal'?

Finally, if my understanding of Xenoblade Chronicles is correct, isn't he only in his god state near the end of the game? So, wouldn't his portrayal in Smash is actually his more recognizable state for people who haven't played or beaten the game yet, thus being the most accurate portrayal of himself as he appears through the majority of the game?

Last edited:
Secondly, how exactly would you go about balancing someone who is literally a god in a fighting game and have him be an 'accurate portrayal'?
Not how Capcom balanced Thor, for one

Well, aside from giving him the biggest HP bar, but ehh

not really feeling the spoiler

also I really like wendy, she is fun, her side b is really cool because jumping out of it whenever and baiting with the up B is fun also

Reactions: Rellek
I-I was going to get this game for my birthday next month ;~~~;

@Mc.Rad Spoilerboxes are a thing... Use them. But yeah, Ridley has the same chance to be in the game as any other Nintendo character, such as how Pokemon bends its Height and Weight rules contrary to what the pokemon looks like. I can't imagine a giant, fire-breathing fire dragon to only be 5 feet tall.

ridley is also incredibly boring and you probably couldn't even give him a moveset that's more than "wing attack, tail whip, fire blast, tackle"
he's more of a pokemon than the actual pokemon on the roster

You're forgetting command grab, that's the important part.
Preferably some kind of charging command grab,
or something.

You're forgetting command grab, that's the important part.
Preferably some kind of charging command grab,
or something.
it can be like Abel's super/Ultra 1 in Street Fighter where it takes you all the way to the side of the screen
wait a sec
no wait it would work

And that's why I don't like Melee.
While those combos and stuff were pretty awesome, the feel of the video made it ridiculous... I suppose I dislike Melee for the same reason.

I think the number 6 and 1 spots on this countdown will make some fellow Jigglypuff fans here happy.

I want KOS-MOS as a DLC characcter <3

Anyway, I need to ask this, before making it a thread, if it gets more popular.
What is your opinion about clone characters in fighting games in general?

They're good if they're executed properly. A clone character should generally be one who has similar movements of another, but have enough distinctions visually and mechanically from the original. The amount of distinction a clone should have from the original varies from game to game, though.

Now most Smash clones technically succeed in distinctions from the original. Most have some sort of noticeable gameplay difference to them, and if not they are visually different enough to be acceptable. The exception, of course, being Dark Pit, providing practically no visual difference and a lackluster amount of mechanical difference from the original.