• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Toonami Thread

Yeah not gonna lie Excalibur is my favorite character of Soul Eater, barely ahead of symmetry junkie Death the Kid. He makes Sherlock Holmes look like a fool as one of his many historical accomplishes. Yeah the anime kind of deviates from the manga, but I wouldn't let that get to me. The anime is great in its own right so you don't need to read the manga first to enjoy the show.

Oh shit! Just remembered there was an
FOOL! Do you not see the genius that is the character of Excalibur?

I do not. Not yet at least lol

I'm not a big anime/manga person, so what's typically the norm when it comes to watching an anime - do you all tend to read the manga first and then watch or watch, get hooked, and go read?

Omfg, I just saw the Space Dandy episode, and it was amazing. Funniest and best episode yet, I really need to stop missing these.

Safe to say Space Dandy is one of those shows with very little continuation (rare for anime since that is very common practice for cartoons) which personally suits the show nonserious style.

I'm not a big anime/manga person, so what's typically the norm when it comes to watching an anime - do you all tend to read the manga first and then watch or watch, get hooked, and go read?
Manga progress is usually ahead of the anime and is the original material, but often anime is a more entertaining experience with the animations, voices, music, etc. .

Some people prefer to read the manga first and watch the anime adaptions afterwards just so they get through the more accurate portrayed plot and avoid any fillers. Others watch the anime first until it ends then pick off where the anime leaves off in the manga.

I personally done a bit of both methods for various works so it all comes down to personal preference. Just remember that not all anime have manga source material and all manga don't have anime material. Then there is the LN/VN stuff but that is getting into a more complex discussion.

I want to like Space Dandy, but ugh....I just can't.

Manga progress is usually ahead of the anime and is the original material, but often anime is a more entertaining experience with the animations, voices, music, etc. .

Some people prefer to read the manga first and watch the anime adaptions afterwards just so they get through the more accurate portrayed plot and avoid any fillers. Others watch the anime first until it ends then pick off where the anime leaves off in the manga.

I think I'm glad I watched the Trigun anime before reading the manga because it helped me visualize shit better. I don't know if it's the case with all manga, but I found the action sequences and who's talking when a little confusing. Then again, it was my first manga (if doujinshis don't count! haha)

sometimes... I think... space dandy is a show about what would happen...

if I went to space.....

I bet he's one of those casual plebeian breast lovers.

I bet he doesnt appreciate the booty!
If you're talking about St. Dorothy, he is a she.

Anyway, I can understand why some people might not like Space★Dandy, it's not like it's a perfect anime.
Some people just have different tastes, let's not attack anyone who doesn't care for the show.

Anyway, I can understand why some people might not like Space★Dandy, it's not like it's a perfect anime.
Some people just have different tastes, let's not attack anyone who doesn't care for the show.
I was mostly making a joke, as well as referencing space dandy.

What's wrong with it?
It's basically a Tamer Panty and Stocking, but in space.

I don't know what Panty and Stocking is.....

Haha!!! Thanks for the gender correction XD

I guess I just find it so....I don't even know. I don't know if immature is the right word. Reflecting on the animes I do like, maybe it's just because it's not a serious one at heart? And I kind of had high hopes for it because it's done by the creators of Cowboy Bebop, but it's certainly no CB in quality in my eyes. Maybe it'll grow on me.

But hey, I gotta appreciate the booty cause I'm packing one myself lol

Haha!!! Thanks for the gender correction XD

I guess I just find it so....I don't even know. I don't know if immature is the right word. Reflecting on the animes I do like, maybe it's just because it's not a serious one at heart? And I kind of had high hopes for it because it's done by the creators of Cowboy Bebop, but it's certainly no CB in quality in my eyes. Maybe it'll grow on me.

But hey, I gotta appreciate the booty cause I'm packing one myself lol
One thing people misunderstand about this show is that it's not like Cowboy Bebop nor Samurai Champloo. Yes it's by the same creator but it's him taking on a new direction. I can understand it's a little jarring but it's something one should keep in mind when watching. Kind of too early to assume, but think of Samurai Champloo-quality of a gag anime.
And I appreciate your appreciation of the booty ;)

What's wrong with it?
It's basically a Tamer Panty and Stocking, but in space.
I really fail to see how its a tamer panty and stocking. yeah its lewd but its really nothing like it at all.

I like the fact that Space Dandy is kinda like Gintama where each episode is random, but I hope that future episodes can have a mini story arc.

I like the fact that Space Dandy is kinda like Gintama where each episode is random, but I hope that future episodes can have a mini story arc.
this is a much better description of Space Dandy, in that its Gintama, but with MORE space.

One thing people misunderstand about this show is that it's not like Cowboy Bebop nor Samurai Champloo. Yes it's by the same creator but it's him taking on a new direction. I can understand it's a little jarring but it's something one should keep in mind when watching. Kind of too early to assume, but think of Samurai Champloo-quality of a gag anime.
And I appreciate your appreciation of the booty ;)

From the previews I could tell it wasn't going to be anything like CB lol but I still had hopes for some quality! :) Maybe it's a little too...guy-ish. With all the "boobalicious" comments and shit like that. Too slapsticky. But maybe it'll grow on me. I love his little computer, QT? I love anythign that's auto-tuned. Adorable.

Seen the previews for the next episode of Space Dandy several times. This might be the episode to change my mind. Looks good and possibly heavy....
You didn't expect Space☆Dandy to be juvenile humor all the time did you?

I kinda really wanna see that episode because the girl is cutely designed.
But the advertisements do make it seem like it'll be dramatic.
Gonna call it now
It's either
A. Dandy's estranged/bastard daughter
B. An orphan he found
or C. An Alien masquerading as a girl

I kinda really wanna see that episode because the girl is cutely designed.
But the advertisements do make it seem like it'll be dramatic.
Gonna call it now
It's either
A. Dandy's estranged/bastard daughter

No, that would mean she's going to be relevant for the rest of the show, which is unlikely considering she hasn't been shown in any promo art as of yet.

B. An orphan he found

Yea probably something like this

or C. An Alien masquerading as a girl

I think Space Dandy is above using the same plot device only 2 episodes later.

Last edited:
Oh damn that's right, I forgot about the Boobie girl.
Yeah, orphan seems most likely.
Somber episode in a comedy show?
Sign me the fuck up

I think it was said by one of the guys working on Space Dandy that it's like a reverse Cowboy Bebop: 75% humor and 25% serious instead of Bebop's 25% humor and 75% serious.
Wow that actually makes a lot of sense.
Is it crazy for me to say that I like Space☆Dandy more than Cowboy Bebop?

Considering it's only 4 episodes in, yes.

Considering it's only 4 episodes in, yes.
Well then throw me in an Asylum because I'm way more entertained by Space☆Dandy so far.
It's not a matter of whether I like action or comedy more, I just have more fun watching it that's all.

Where's that Batman/Robin meme where Batman is bitch slapping Robin? YES IT'S CRAZY!!!

I say this with love lol

I kinda like the american openings and stuff. I know there wont be any risk of minor cuts of the footage just to fill it in the time slot.

plus, I like having a short opening cuz I NEED more space dandy antics, and I need it now.
now! now now now! I WANT IT NOW!

Sweet, remember how dissapointed I was when the full Deadman Wonderland opening was cut, but I can see why because of needed ad revenue. Maybe with this move Toonami is slowly not relying on the ad revenue as much now.

I like Space Dandy as much as Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, I think its good that his series all have a uniqueness to them.

Ok this new episode gave me a real Cowboy Bebop vibe with how much more serious it was.

Thoughts on episode 5

Dandy proved Penguins can indeed fly and kick ass. Great musical score happening. Dandy doesn't "like" kids just like Spike. Episode was surprisingly serious yet heartwarming which is a drastic change of pace. Also the henchmen from the Incredibles appeared. The chemistry with Dandy and the little space alien girl had many feels. Dandy does indeed have morals and money/boobies isn't the most important thing to him.

That episode was great.
Super serious like I thought.
Kinda wanted her to become a main character though.
Sigh, ah well.

Such a good episode T_T
Did my eyes deceive me? Were those...SUBTITLES on a Toonami show??

Back