• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Valentine Combo Thread

Idk, i'm new at fighting games and I don't know many theory stuff. Since LnL has some armor, you can use defensively updo-like and convert it into a combo. Works for me and I found it interesting.

Also, I agree it's risky because they can block both hits and punish hard, but it wouldn't be my main combo, but a situational tool.

I KNEW i've seen something related, just didn't remember where it was.

Next goal: learn how to use assists in the middle of the combo.

This makes me realize I never recorded my midscreen with H LnL assist with lights. I'll do it after lent I guess.
Anyway here's the notation. Don't remember the damage, but with DHC into Dymond Dynamo it's almost a dead character in 2v3.

c.lk, c.mk, s.hp, LnL assist, HK Bypass
s.lk c.hp
j.hk, ADC j.mp (2-3), j.hk
(land) j.lp, j.mp, j.hp ADC j.mk
(land) s.lp(x3), s.mp(x2), c.mk(x2), s.hp, HK Bypass, EKG.

I use s.hp on the last chain instead of s.hk(x3) to preserve the OTG. After a DHC into Dynamo, I can Titan Knuckle xx HP LnL or tag into Val. Both are burst baits. HP LnL is a counter hit bait that leads to 2.7k, tagging Val leads to a wall bounce and potentially a combo off an OTG.

Last edited:
Hey @Nuuance, trying to find your post with the solo Val midscreen combo vid.
I think something happened when they increased the amount of posts per page or something cuz I don't see it. That or I'm blind, which I'm ok with.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's all the way down in page 4 somehow.

Last edited:
So I made a small update to the OP, basically saying that we should still be making more combos. We need some combo variety, even if the full combo is like 6k, as long as it has something good about it like a reset set up, post it here.

Specifically, combos that aren't just minor tweaks to the existing well known BnBs, things that look significantly different or have different timings to throw off the opponent.

Reactions: gllt
@Mwisk taught me some things, and I discovered some more, but I think they'd fit more the tech thread than the combo one. Internet is kinda crappy those days, but i'll try to record and upload some things.

what the fuck, looks like he's mashing random buttons, but everything seems to connect.

Oh God that combo is awful. Dunno why you want it but here.

s.lp(x3), s.lk, s.mp(x2), c.hp
j.lk, j.mp, j.mk xx ADC j.mp(x2), j.mk(1st hit only)
(land) s.lp(x3), s.mk, s.hk(x2) xx vial toss xx Scalpels

maybe he's a genius of a new era
maybe SG2 combos will be this way
who knows

"Time to turn phasers to FUCK YOU" Oh kenin.

But yea, there is something to say for having an air chain without j.hp or j.hk, this combo is shit but in principle this kind of thing is desirable.

Got a new combo that does more damage and works on everyone but Double. I messed up the lp(x3) in the video but when done right it does 7.4k

Mmm... the second sHK wiffs for me. That, or the timing on this combo is too strict for my hands

Last edited:
Mmm... the second sHK wiffs for me. That, or the timing on this combo is too strict for my hands
Delay it a bit.

Are you letting the jMP rock for a few hits?

There's a lot of downward travel on it.

Are you letting the jMP rock for a few hits?

There's a lot of downward travel on it.
Pressing j.mp too early will also result in them staying much higher than if you wait for the airdash to (mostly) finish before pressing j.hp. If you note in the video j.mp is intentionally delayed.

Against Squigly you'll always need to wait for the airdash if you want to go j.mp to j.hp otherwise it whiffs due to her hitboxes.

I'll try a few hrs more but maybe I'll drop it since I can't do it consistently

@Camail I know you put a warning about pages 1,2 and 3, but I feel that you should update the original post with the up to date combos so that people can find them easier.

It's not hard to find combos in here, every new combo or assist corner combo doesn't need to be slapped in the op, I've already put in more effort than 90% of the other combo thread starters. Maybe I'll put the notation in later but I am under no obligation to do so.

Maybe if we had optimized combos with tricky chains and interesting reset options I would be motivated to reconsider but the only thing people care about is max damage and that is not worth more mention.

It's not hard to find combos in here, every new combo or assist corner combo doesn't need to be slapped in the op, I've already put in more effort than 90% of the other combo thread starters. Maybe I'll put the notation in later but I am under no obligation to do so.

Maybe if we had optimized combos with tricky chains and interesting reset options I would be motivated to reconsider but the only thing people care about is max damage and that is not worth more mention.

The problem is, people don't update their posts whether the combos are up to date or not. But I understand what you mean.

What is the most damaging midscreen valentine combo right now?

Everytime someone asks this, Winnie appears out of nowhere with a new and more damaging and impossible-to-do combo

Just going to drop my 2 cents here for combo threads and Skullgirls in general

I don't really like combos that require a specific set up to do unless it's an extension or different branch of an existing combo. What I feel about combo threads is that people focus too much on doing impractical combos or static combos that serve no purpose besides damage or for style points. I don't even bother to watch combos that have some requirement list like a pre-loaded vial, Excerebella assist, them being in the corner and if they're Big Band or Double.

I honestly think the biggest goals people should focus on for combos is reset vortexes and/or putting yourself in an advantageous position. The second point can easily be done by substituting the end of the combo with s.HK x3 for a hard knockdown into the corner however I would heavily advise people to stop telling people to do EKG Flatliner at the end because you lose your momentum and put them at full screen again.

As for the first point, while damage is obviously always nice, I think it's more important to have a combo that allows you to keep the enemy constantly guessing. I also think burst baits should be worked on more because I feel mashing through resets is incredibly powerful as it can pretty much put your advantage in the dumpster if done properly with say a super that allows you to do a combo after it or if you mash s.LP through a grounded reset. I think Valentine's ideal situation is when she's got you in a corner mix up blender that you can't mash through because they know burst baits. (This applies to other reset heavy characters too)

You can simply block and punish people you think are going to mash out a move during your combo however I feel you're just doing a mix up on yourself by doing this because if they don't do what you think they're doing to do then you lose your combo and need to react to them retaliating. Can be done on predictable people but not everyone.

In short I feel the goals for combos should be:
1. To put yourself in an advantageous situation (The corner usually)
2. Have a healthy amount of reset/mix up points
3. Be a burst bait that's viable to use to condition people to not mash through resets

thats wot I think

Your point about saving enders for kills is correct. Your point about not having situational combos is less so, and for reasons I believe you will agree with. You should learn character specific combos and vial combos because they change the attack timings and give different reset points than your mid screen universal bnb. If you want to keep your opponent guessing you have to be able to pull out combos that force them to waste even more brain power identfying reset poins an interruptions to attack rythms. If all you do is universal mid screen combos then you take away a large portion of your reset potential by restricting your offense and giving them an easier defense.

As for your dislike of super baits thats kind of what resets are fundamentally all about. If they guess right then they stop getting hit and have a chance to get out, just like every reset. Also, a super bait can be nothing more than a 10 frame delay before you press your next button (which is probably gonna be a low/throw mix up), if they are mashing super it will come out by that time and if they don't then you've only wasted a tenth, even two tenths, of a second.

Reactions: ashxu
You're right, having additional combos to add on top of the confusion is ideal however I doubt many people make combos for that purpose. I'm not trying to downplay people making combos as the ones I use aren't even mine however when people advertise their situational combos as BnBs or when beginners don't recognize that its not meant to be a combo for normal use then I think there's a problem.

As for the super baits part, delaying your move is doable I suppose however I feel there's weaknesses such as catching them in up back being less successful and possibly losing to throws but I haven't really tried delays.

Again, part of a reset is them having the ability to get out. You risk them holding up back, but you also risk that when doing an overhead or doing a throw. There is a disadvantage to any reset, we don't want this to be a single player game. Another example of a super bait is ending an airchain abruptly by pressing a heavy attack close to the ground so landing cancels the move during start up, it makes it look like you messed up the combo and as they are landing you hit down back, if they land and don't super than you can continue pressure.

And regardless of whether or not these new combos are designed specifially for new reset potential, they still provide it. The inherent fact that different combos will have different rythms is enough. Especially with val, she can do a cross up j.hp in almost every situation.

I think everybody that has some hours of online gameplay and training knows that combos are not worth completing if it doesn't kill the character. Ending a combo will result into neutral game, and opening the opponent up midscreen is hard without the proper assists.

Ok, back to the combos
Level 1 vial midscreen M&Hweights combo ~ 7.6k (may deal 7.7k if done right)
[av]http://a.pomf.se/awwdxr.webm[/av]
c.lk c.mk(1) c.hp
j.hp j.hk xx IAD j.mp(2~3) j.hk
j.lp j.mp(1) j.hk xx IAD j.mk xx vial toss
dash s.lp(x3) s.mp(x2) c.mk(2) s.hk(x3) xx HK Bypass xx EKG Flatliner

Last edited:
7524 corner:

c.lk, c.mk(1), c.hp,
j.hp, hk bypass,
s.hk(3), lk bypass,
s.lp(3), c.hp,
j.lp, j.mp(5), j.hp, hp dead cross,
s.lk, s.mp, s.mp, c.mk, s.hp, hk bypass, ekg

8.3k with lv1 vial

specific?

edit: j.hk instead of j.hp on the second chain also works
Also, those LK Bypass s.LP link are so hard to hit that turns the whole combo impractical.

Last edited:
There are far more difficult combos that are used in bnbs in every other game, I think we can manage.

I've heard of, but sadly I don't have experience. This shit is almost impossible to me. I don't even know if the problem is when I j.HP xx HK Bypass or when I s.HK(x3) xx LK Bypass.

Also, I've been doing some stuff.
[av]http://a.pomf.se/onwtki.webm[/av]
gotta love vials

Been trying to find new burst baits and stuff and I accidentally figured out (Although it's probably already well known) that if you do the c.HP j.HP HK Bypass string you can land and do s.LK (to make it easier) and then LK Bypass EKG Flatliner to do the super and still put them in the corner. However this obviously costs meter so I'm not sure even if I had a combo if this was even worth doing, it only puts you at +1 too.

This is extremely not viable.
You can do the LK Bypass and EKG and they'll be in the corner, OR you can NOT do it and they'll STILL be in the corner, but you'll be near them, while EKG will put you midscreen.
Val is about pressure. The gap EKG gives is really big. Use it only to kill a character.

What's a good vial combo for beginners?

Vial is way easier on the corner, and open you up for more combo routes.
Midscreen vial combos are harder because the timing is strict and some moves push the enemy away if they are still in the air (eg j.HP). I still don't have a midscreen vial combo for lights. Can't perform Nuuance's, but I think it's the easier one for midscreen.

If you want corner, you can use this:
Universal Vial Corner Combo ~ 7.5k
c.lk c.mk(1) c.hp
j.hp IAD j.mp(1) j.hp
j.lk (1) j.mp(1) j.hp
j.lp j.mp(1) j.hp xx vial toss
s.lp(x3) s.lk s.mp(x2) c.mk(2) s.hk(x3) xx HK Bypass xx EKG Flatliner

IAD j.mp - Delay this a bit against lights. Do immediately against heavies.
s.mp(x2) - PLEASE don't do the second part after the first hit of the first part. Do all the 9 hits for max damage.
s.hk(x3) - Here you can do s.HK(x2) xx Mortuary Drop xx EKG. Since the mortuary is a reset, EKG will deal more damage, and mortuary will hit raw. It'll deal around 8.5k damage.
j.lk (1) - I see lots of people using j.lp instead of j.lk on the first air chain. Midscreen using j.lp is a must because j.lk whiffs, but on the corner it hits as well as j.lp, and hit more (j.lk first hit, when she pull her arms back, deals 325 damage, while the whole j.lp deals 200).

Heavyweights Vial Corner Combo ~ 7.6k
c.lk c.mk(1) c.hp
j.hp j.hk IAD j.mp(2~3) j.hk
j.lk j.mp(1) j.hk IAD j.mk xx vial toss
s.lp(x3) s.lk s.mp(x2) c.mk(2) s.hk(x3) xx HK Bypass xx EKG Flatliner

Same notes as above. Cancelling into mortuary will boost the damage to 8.6k.

[No Video] Beginner Bnb- Universal, vialess, ~5.6k
cr.lk, cr.mk, cr.hp
j.hp, ad, j.mp (3), j.hk
j.lp, j.mp (3), j.hk
s.lp,s.mp(1), s.hp xx HK Bypass xx EKG Flatliner

Is this universal? I tried this on Peacock and Painwheel and I land on the ground as soon as I go for the j.lp after j.hk. How did I fuck it up?

Is this universal? I tried this on Peacock and Painwheel and I land on the ground as soon as I go for the j.lp after j.hk. How did I fuck it up?

So if I'm imagining this correctly, j.HK should leave them slightly in the air. This gives you enough time to land, jump, and do j.LP.