• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Anime/Manga General Discussion

not enough to give us catgirls without human ears. apparently science can't seem to focus on the real issues.

I am sorry that I am passionate about the catgirls Zen! but if I don't think of them then who will?!

WHO I ASK YOU!

Last edited:
Certainly different, I like how this is turning out

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: ChexGuy
Wow, I don't know if I'm just really late. But Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Blue ray realese only a month away (+5 days).
Time to save even more money!

Wow, I don't know if I'm just really late. But Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Blue ray realese only a month away (+5 days).
Time to save even more money!

especially if it's Gainax! the last blu rays they sold for 500 dollars!

:D enjoy! gainax is a bunch of greedy self righteous bastards when it comes to disc bsed media prices.

Reactions: Skullgirlsfanboy
especially if it's Gainax! the last blu rays they sold for 500 dollars!

:D enjoy! gainax is a bunch of greedy self righteous bastards when it comes to disc bsed media prices.
Don't forget Suicidal!:PUN:

(I'm thinking about watching it, too. My library carries stuff like this.

don't buy Gainax blu rays. they are way too expensive and for the dumbest of reasons.

buy blu rays from Funimation or ViZ or some dubbing company that's willing to make the product affordable.

80 dollars for 3 episodes of Madoka is NOT affordable.

80 dollars for 3 episodes of Madoka is NOT affordable.

Are we talking about the Aniplex Madoka sets? If so, you technically get 4 episodes per collection but it's still outrageously expensive.. Practically everything from Aniplex is which has prevented me from purchasing some of the shows I'd like to have from them like Durarara and the Bakemonogatari series.

That said... *glances at completed Puella Magi Madoka Magica Limited Edition Box Sets and Rebellion BD on bookshelf* I'll probably give in at some point.

don't. Only buy Aniplex stuff when they have to lower the price to get rid of stock. Don't let them think their pricing methods are justifiable. Don't give them an inch.

import the stuff if you have to.

Since I live in Europe many Funimation Blu-Rays are region-locked for me. There are times where I do download torrents or watch online streams with Russian subtitles, but would rather support the industry by subscribing to Crunchyroll and Funimation (Also thank you, Hola Unblocker), and I also learned to tolerate the ads in Hulu. The subscriptions are cheaper than Blu-Rays anyway. I wish CR would update Gurren Lagann and Bakemonogatari to 720p. Gurren Lagann in 480p is fine, but I get eye strain when trying to watch Bakemonogatari in that resolution on CR.

also, support your animes with legal streaming services. I see so many people laugh at the idea that the way they watch their anime is technically "illegal" and brush me off. Seriously, subscribe to these streaming services and help support the series.

there's a reason many abridgers put "please support the official release" at the beginning of their videos.

Reactions: Elda Taluda
import the stuff if you have to.

A few problems with importing. First and foremost I do not speak japanese, and from what I understand most disc-based releases do not have english subtitles. Secondly, I'm in the camp of people that prefers dubs over subs if they are done well enough. (I just hate staring at the bottom quarter of the screen lol)

I also heard that Japanese Blu Rays are even more expensive and have less episodes than the ones released outside of Japan. My Japanese is only beginner level and there's not much point in me ordering them. I'll stick with legal streams that have English subs.

Also, I think Japanese Blu-Rays for Jojo's 2012 have English subs.

A few problems with importing. First and foremost I do not speak japanese, and from what I understand most disc-based releases do not have english subtitles. Secondly, I'm in the camp of people that prefers dubs over subs if they are done well enough. (I just hate staring at the bottom quarter of the screen lol)
I only meant that as if you WANT the product of the anime. If you own blu rays but can't understand it then no one will blame you for watching it online subbed. You supported the series by buying something that was made because of that series.

hell, I'll buy Kamen Rider DVDs and blu rays even if there aren't any subs just to support it. No one is telling you that you have to choose either supporting or watching it illegally. You can do both. But if there is a way to support it legally then it's best to support the official legal release of that series. Sorry for this longwinded post guys.

Has anyone here heard of Heidi? It's an old anime about a little swiss girl living in the Alps. It's very famous in Italy, and a big childhood favourite of mine. It's calm, cute and charming.

Chicken, I live in Germany. Heidi still airs on children channels. And yes, I watched it as a kid :)

And now I have the theme in my head again, help!

Reactions: chickenwithtie
That's why you eather have an imported blue-ray player or modifying your ;)
would they work on a PS3 since those can play Japanese Blu Ray disc games?
EDIT:
I realized that they're asking for a different region locking but I am curious.

Has anyone here heard of Heidi? It's an old anime about a little swiss girl living in the Alps. It's very famous in Italy, and a big childhood favourite of mine. It's calm, cute and charming.
Never watched it, but I think I've seen it parodied in "Golden Time" and "Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt".

would they work on a PS3 since those can play Japanese Blu Ray disc games?
EDIT:
I realized that they're asking for a different region locking but I am curious.
I think PS3 is only region-free for the games (Except for P4A1), not DVDs and Blu-Rays.

I just found out Hayao Miyazaki worked on Heidi. Small world, eh?

Yep, my library carries it! I just rented disc 1, and I'll watch it tonight! :)
I'm not a disc collector, but why not get the individual discs? (assuming they release them, I don't know.)
Or you could try your luck on Ebay. It's gotta be better than retail, right?
Also, MADOKA'S $80 A DISC!? If only everyone had a library like mine... Though I just finished reading the whole manga section today....

I don't trust library DVDs and Blu Rays because there's no incentive for anyone to take care of them. :( many weekends ruined because I grabbed a DVD to watch of something like Star Trek TNG only to have "SP.....Fina....voy" and so on and so forth.

and it's only Aniplex that does outrageous prices for their blu rays because "well that's how much it is in Japan"

because it's not like they have to also do edits for DVDs and blu rays while Aniplex is just replacing voices....

I don't trust library DVDs and Blu Rays because there's no incentive for anyone to take care of them. :( many weekends ruined because I grabbed a DVD to watch of something like Star Trek TNG only to have "SP.....Fina....voy" and so on and so forth.

and it's only Aniplex that does outrageous prices for their blu rays because "well that's how much it is in Japan"

because it's not like they have to also do edits for DVDs and blu rays while Aniplex is just replacing voices....
True, true. I've had the same thing happen... But not too much with anime. I guess I'm really lucky, because my library has a lot of otaku; there's even a club for 'em!

Can't look at Heidi seriously again after seeing the Gintama parody it.
qun7tgp.png

zEmfgKH.png

95_96.jpg

95_93.jpg

Gintama was even the anime that ruined improved Santa Claus.

Markiplier did it better, though.
no. he didn't. and I don't even know what Markiplier did. because what Gintama did to Santa is perfection. also it has the greatest Golgo 13 running gag ever.

I discovered Yurumates (3D, not the original) the other day. It's not going to be for everyone but it's already among my favourite short-format series even though I haven't watched the second cour yet. DVDs are hella expensive though ($40 DVD/$50 BD for 13 3-minute episodes? k.). Need to try to find somewhere that I can buy the manga volumes from.

Call me crazy if you must, but that thing looks like a pimped up version of Optimus Prime!