• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Anime/Manga General Discussion

I'll throw in Planetes as a series that you have to see. Very underrated and really makes you ponder about your own choices in life.

You have to watch the eccentric family. I forgot the Japanese names but it's about z family of tanuki

I'll throw in Planetes as a series that you have to see. Very underrated and really makes you ponder about your own choices in life.
Bad anime makes you do that too.

Ooooh there is Heavy Object this season. I never thought this light novel would become an anime. It's written by the same person who wrote A Certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun.

if you like Girl who Leapt Through Time, watch Summer Wars.
Same director and it's my favorite movie.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
Toki is a good movie, but it would have been better if the movie has been like 20 minutes shorter. I haven't seem Summer Wars, but I recently saw Ookami Kodomo Ame to Yuki, which is also by the same director and the best way I can describe it is as a competent failure.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
Summer Wars was meh in my opinion. I do hope that Overlord gets a second season, though it looks like the anime was meant to promote the light novels :/

Reactions: +5 Necromancer
it annoys me that I'm older than EVA
because I can't completely disregard it as being something from before my time

Reactions: +5 Necromancer
So my car is messed up and I can't fix it without any real light.

I'm going to use the next few hours to complain about Tokyo Ghoul RE and continue to edit this post.

1.Storytelling

Oh dear god the storytelling is so bad now, instead of being SHOWN how powers work with small amounts of exposition sprinkled throughout at appropriate times, it's all just spoon-fed to us like we're children even though we've gone through TG. Before we used to see how weapons work and how characters deal with each other, now there's always some fucking box of text underneath the event telling us how the event works. Gone are the days of mystique and theorycrafting on what Hide was pulling and who the One Eyed King was and how far deep the CCG's hands are in the Ghoul pot.

2. Widening of scope does not mean deepening of ambition.

Jesus Christ what happened to this goddamn universe? Even though the character list has tripled we know almost no more than we did when TG ended. How is i that we're almost 50 chapters deep into this damn manga and nothing has been brought to light, not even the indoctrination process of Sasaki Ken or whatever his name is. In 114 chapters (I think) of TG we got to see how the CCG worked on the surface level, the dirt that the CCG is willing to pull, how Ghouls get back in daily life and the subculture of the Ghoul underground. Seriously, what the fuck has TGR taught us? How is it that not even one faction has had anymore depth put into them than what we've see at the end of TG? These past 50 chapters have felt USELESS.

3.Characters

Name one new character that you like? It's probably Eyepatch girl right? (can't even remember her name because she's so uninteresting) Or maybe it's the dude who likes bikes with the teeth? Almost every new character is so weak it's humiliating. Remember how HUMAN the first characters felt, remember Ken, a conflicted young man whose just trying to find his way through this Kafka-esque nightmare? Remember Touka, who started out a little one dimensional? Then we saw her flesh out into this young woman who sincerely cares for her community and harbors deep regret for her past sins? Remember Amon, a character with steady convictions but willing to bend his conceptions of life for a deeper understanding of people not on his side? Even the side characters felt strong and consistent. Mardue who gave off the impression of this credit hungry bureaucrat but ended up being a man who takes personal responsibility for every single life he commands? Sure there were characters like Suzuyo but he was seen as an anomaly by everyone, not the norm. He was a one in a million and that's what made him special.

Now what do we have? Fucking gimmick characters who throughout 50 chapters have been given no real depth. We have lazy girl, promotion guy, bland girl who pretends to be a guy for no reason shown so far even though it seems we've rushed past that little revelation of hers, a dude so nothing I think he likes bikes or some shit and Sasaki Ken. Sasaki Ken, a character whose whole claim to fame is that he USED to be interesting. We see Sasaki Ken talk about how he doesn't want to fade away and that he has people he love to but WE'VE SEEN NOTHING. Sure, we've been told he loves his group like family and that his life is a life worth living, BUT WE'VE NEVER SEEN ANY EVIDENCE. As far as we know, he works, sleeps, cracks some jokes and that's it. What about Sasaki Ken's life does he think is so special? We've seen no real special memories of him hanging out with loved ones or even just off the clock banter, yet we're supposed to feel torn between Ken and Kaneki?

KINGDOM HEARTS DID A BETTER JOB WITH ROXAS/SORA, GIVING US TWO CHARACTERS WHO OPPOSE EACH OTHER WHILE BEING ALTER EGOS THAN THIS.

Ken/Kaneki is fucking nothing, we have all the reasons in the world why we love Kaneki, but does anyone like Ken? Like on his own? As his own character, not as a part of Kaneki? No. No you do not, you were never given any reason to, you were only told in fucking text boxes why he's special, we've never seen it.

Where are the clowns? We're 50 chapters in and no clowns? Aogiri just showing up, and not even in a serious capacity even though they're supposed to be a big fucking deal, right? We have Touka, who at the end of TG is crying and begging white haired dude to go with her to save kankei opening her own shop and just saying "yeah, whatever" about Kankei. This doesn't feel like an evolution of character, it feels like Ishida thought to himself "I need to make up some kind of reason as for why Touka isn't desperately searching Kankei all the time". The last thing we see of TG is her holding back tears saying "he'll return". Now we see her going "if he doesn't remember, that's cool, if he does we'll be here." Bullshit. Touka knowing that Kaneki has forgotten about her is painful, or at least that's what should be expected out of her character by this point.

4. Tone

I for the life of me can't find the mood of this fucking manga. TG was a Kafka-esque horror novel that slowly evolved into dark mystery/battle manga. It's mood was crafted well through Ishida's unique art style full of rough lines and heavy shading. What the hell is RE? I really don't know. It doesn't have the feel of a horror, it's not that. It doesn't feel like mystery either, I guess it's a battle manga?

When I was in Japan last year I saw a tone of weird ass TG posters, one for a game, one for a deck of cards, one for a signing, one of just Kaneki just standing there being all "badass". Not a single one captured the feeling of that manga.

To be continued when I feel like it.

Reactions: Fumako
Implying that the Pokemon anime isn't so hilariously bad it's good.

Reactions: HeadcrabNinja
Pokemon: The Origin was pretty good, but it would have been several times better if they didn't skip a huge chunk of the storyline from Red/Blue and then add insult to injury by shoehorning in an ending that was basically just an advertisement for the more recent games.

Pokemon: The Origin was pretty good, but it would have been several times better if they didn't skip a huge chunk of the storyline from Red/Blue and then add insult to injury by shoehorning in an ending that was basically just an advertisement for the more recent games.
I kinda thought, since it coincided near the release of X/Y, the whole point was to make people hype and get more sales anyway.... Which worked.

I kinda thought, since it coincided near the release of X/Y, the whole point was to make people hype and get more sales anyway.... Which worked.
Sure, it just made it less enjoyable to me if you look at it as a stand-alone animation.

So what's supposed to be good this season? I haven't been keeping up.

you haven't seen one punch man?

I've heard about the manga and I know they were planning an anime, but I haven't seen it, no.

Eh, I didn't find the manga of MM all that enjoyable so I doubt I will. Thanks anyway.

you're welcome.

I havent really been watching any new anime lately.
mostly just Ultraman stuff Crunchyroll added.
if you got a Crunchyroll: X, Mebius, Max, and 80 are ALL good.

I do plan to jump onto One Punch Man when they get to where I left off.in the manga.

If you like Fist Of The North Star, the second season of the gag spinoff DD Fist Of The North Star recently started.

I love how people are saying DD Fist of the North Star is dragging FotNS' name through the mud.
didn't the original author make like, several of the gags in this anime in the original manga?

I love how people are saying DD Fist of the North Star is dragging FotNS' name through the mud.
didn't the original author make like, several of the gags in this anime in the original manga?

I'm not sure about Buronson, but Tetsuo Hara is(was?) an animation supervisor. He even made a cameo in the first season if I remember correctly.

I'd love for them to make an anime of the current Ultraman manga.

its a really different take on Ultraman and a good continuation of the original series.
hell, they even super-imposed an actual picture of the original Science Patrol from the show.
latest
science patrol manga.png

the new suit looks really sleek and the transitions of the aliens and actors also look really good.
plus, it would be a series that would be perfect for MadHouse or Bones to pick up.

though, I've only read the first volume, it seems like it kinda is in a universe where the other Ultras don't exist, because there hasn't been any information about them in that first volume. I hope this isn't the case because there are plenty other members of the Ultras I would love to see in manga form.

I also found out that the Ultraman anime that I thought was being made was actually just a homage video done at an expo.
I'm a little disappointed right now.

Last edited:
So what's supposed to be good this season? I haven't been keeping up.
The new Gundam is starting strong. Only two episodes in and it's it's own continuity. Aside from that there's One Punch Man.
This summer was pretty weak all things considered. Too much moe stuff.

IBO is pretty good. I'm enjoying it. it's got plenty of goofiness with certain character names and designs.
Orga's hair is dumb and stupid and i love it.

I can't wait for the moonlight butterfly shoehorning from all the Tomino fans.
can't be it's own thing.

all roads lead to the moonlight butterfly

made a wrong turn at albuquerque trying to get to pismo beach? too bad son, you just got yourself a moonlight butterfly

all roads lead to the moonlight butterfly

made a wrong turn at albuquerque trying to get to pismo beach? too bad son, you just got yourself a moonlight butterfly
don't worry.
Master Asia can beat it.

don't worry.
Master Asia can beat it.
But there is no master asia in IBO
I wish there was, he'd make the series a lot more entertaining
but unfortunately he is not around to save those boys from making the wrong turn at albuquerque

well, knowing Mika, he'll probably say the moonlight butterfly is dumb then just smash it.
a mace ain't technology motherfucker!
CAN'T TURN THAT TO DUST!

For some reason Jibanyan from Yokai Watch is in DD Fist Of The North Star and it's making me laugh a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
so I watched Katsuhiro Otomo's Memories
please watch Katsuhiro Otomo's Memories