• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beowulf Combos

I've always thought BnB meant your characters go to combo that works in almost any situation. The combos in the OP fit that definition, they just happen to be kinda long and include launches, restands, and otgs.

A hit confirm for Ryu would be cr.LP cr.LP cr.LK cr.MK x QCF HP. The hit confirm lets him reliably land his BnB, which is a substring. Is this the best combo Ryu can do from this hit confirm? No. But it's effective and never a bad choice over doing nothing. He can also hit confirm into something else, which is a different thing entirely. Hit confirms are great for leading into more difficult combos because you have time to set your rhythm, and can back out after the light hits without being too minus on block. I think I understand that term well.

http://sf4answers.com/questions/155/what-are-bread-and-butter-bnb-combos
How see it cr.lp cr.lk cr.mk x qcf Hp is hit confirmING as your using the normals to no if your hitting the opponent or not to recognize and decide what ender you will do. Cr.Mk x qcf Hp is a hit comfirm for the fireball. Like I said ryu players would do this sequence regardless of them hitting the opponent or not due to if the cr.mk makes contacts it will confirm and the fireball will come out if it whiffs no fireball. Your just buffering an out come for the hit confirm.

I've always thought BnB meant your characters go to combo that works in almost any situation. The combos in the OP fit that definition, they just happen to be kinda long and include launches, restands, and otgs.
That's the misconception here on skullheart. That's a universal combo, not a BnB. And universal doesn't mean "works no matter what". There can be character exceptions, or weight class exceptions (i.e. universal heavy combo, universal combo no BB)

How see it cr.lp cr.lk cr.mk x qcf Cr.Mk x qcf Hp is a hit comfirm for the fireball. [...] Your just buffering an out come for the hit confirm.
That's an option select. Option 1, whiff -> nothing. Option 2, connect -> fireball. And yes, in Ryu's case, you may want to extend your blockstring all the way to the fireball because it is very hard to punish, but we're getting off topic. From now on just imagine the BnB j.HP s.HPx shoryuken

Quoting from the link that you yourself posted

"BnB is a combo that could be hit confirm that would lead to simple, effective damage"
"They are usually your go-to combos"
Boxer example: "cr. LP, cr. LP, cr. LK xx HP Buffalo Headbutt"
"Bread and Butter or "B&Bs" are usually effective combos that deal decent damage and/or are fairly easy to perform with certain characters."

- Note how none of this BnB explanation is "cMK xx Hado", and all of it is a hitconfirm into ender
- Note how the combos in the OP are also hitconfirm into ender, except the "ender" here isn't just a special but multiple strings (because it's SG, not SF), and the start is a load easier because you can just chain and don't need to link

A BnB is, plain and simple, a combo which you can reliably hit in games and which doesn't get you punished when you attempt it and it gets blocked.
That means:
- Reliable starter (cLK is used for comparisons sake with other chars/etc; a conversion out of a DP isn't a BnB)
- Hitconfirm in the starter (So in case of a block you can either stop your string, or cancel into a safe special)
- Then a combo which isn't insanely hard or super specific (so no stupid difficult links, and it should be universal or at least work on the majority of the cast, rather than being "Valentine-only")
Bonus points if you can go into this 'BnB' off multiple things so eg the same string after cLK, Throw, Airthrow, a random special, whatever - this isn't necessary and plain won't work for some characters, but it's nice to have

BnB is "The combo you go for when no special cases apply". Eg
You can't do your corner-specific combo because you're somewhere midscreen,
you can't do your BigBand-specific combo because the opponent is Parasoul,
you can't do your CH extension because the opponent didn't get counterhit,
and you can't spend 4 meters because you only have 1 bar.
So instead, you just go for your BnB (midscreen hitconfirm combo that works on most of the cast and spends 0-1 meter)

In SF4, BnB means something like cLK cLP cMK xx Special, because it isn't possible to do any more than that (without spending copious amounts of Meter or Ultra).
In SG, BnB means something like cLK cMK Launch Airstring Groundstring Airstring Groundstring xx Special xx Super, .. generally.

I've been at this for more than 5 seconds, I promise. Beowulf does not play like the rest of the cast, and it would be nice to have somewhere to look up the basic building blocks to use him effectively. I just learned s.HKxcommand grab today, a useful tool I wish I'd known for a while. I can't be the only player that can't immediately know every possible string by just picking up a character. I'd been using s.HP x qcf LP as a meterless ground finisher forever, but it's not that good without the followup that I haven't nailed yet.
If you want "Basic Building Blocks", then just look at the combos and take out single lines!
I didn't know about sHK xx Wulf Shoot when I picked this char up initially myself, but I looked at the OP and see what we have there, 4th combo:
"c.lk, c.mp, s.hk xx L Hurting Hurl,
hop j.mk,
s.hk xx Wulf Shoot"
Every single of the lines in the OP, every string that you see in a combo video, etc - is one of those ominous 'basic building blocks'.
You just have to take them out of the given combo and throw them into your own.

Cr.Mk x qcf Hp is a hit comfirm for the fireball. Like I said ryu players would do this sequence regardless of them hitting the opponent or not due to if the cr.mk makes contacts it will confirm and the fireball will come out if it whiffs no fireball. Your just buffering an out come for the hit confirm.
"Would do this sequence regardless of them hitting the opponent or not" is literally the opposite of a hitconfirm

(universal heavy combo)
This is not universal.. what kinda definition is this? "Universal Valentine-only combo"?

Reactions: Ryin
To put pedantry aside, what are some simple (no links, one launch, no restand) effective strings I can use with Beowulf? There's got to be more to get than cr.LP cr.MP cr.HP x j.LK j.MK j.HK

That's an option select. Option 1, whiff -> nothing. Option 2, connect -> fireball. And yes, in Ryu's case, you may want to extend your blockstring all the way to the fireball because it is very hard to punish, but we're getting off topic. From now on just imagine the BnB j.HP s.HPx shoryuken
Think ull find that's buffering. As you are only inputting one option. Option select contain 2 or more inputted option and the one with highest priority or the option that complied to the opponents option will come out Eg. A crouch tech.

Iam pretty sure universal means that it would work on all characters and situations. Maybe you shouldnt try and apply sf4 stuff to sg so much.

Think ull find that's buffering. As you are only inputting one option. Option select contain 2 or more inputted option and the one with highest priority or the option that complied to the opponents option will come out Eg. A crouch tech.

Iam pretty sure universal means that it would work on all characters and situations. Maybe you shouldnt try and apply sf4 stuff to sg so much.
These are fighting game terms, I just use sf4 because it's the game I played most before I came to SG. You'll find the same terms in mvc2 which is very similar to this game. Universal means works in most situations, no regard to meter, stun, or positioning. You don't have to hit a specific jump in, you don't have to have super, you don't have to be in the corner. For the most part, feel free to use this combo whenever you open up your opponent. But no engine is perfect and there might be exceptions based on character matchups. If you're upset with that definition, why are you defending 30hit chains as BnB?

To put pedantry aside, what are some simple (no links, one launch, no restand) effective strings I can use with Beowulf? There's got to be more to get than cr.LP cr.MP cr.HP x j.LK j.MK j.HK
Like i said cr.lk, st.mk, st.hk x qcf lk, 9hk, 2hk. This combo works with or with out chair and allows different follow up once this combo has ended. Cr.lk has the better range out of the Light attacks and hit low. St.mk reachs far and so does hk so even from max the combo NORMALLY works.

Reactions: xtheradiostar
To put pedantry aside
Lose the argument, flee? <3

what are some simple (no links, one launch, no restand) effective strings I can use with Beowulf? There's got to be more to get than cr.LP cr.MP cr.HP x j.LK j.MK j.HK
cHP - jLK is already a Link in the given thing you posted, so I am not entirely sure what you are asking for. No hard links?
The most common Beo string is cLK cMK sHK xx L.Chair, Hop Normal, more Buttons - but there we got two links (L.Chair - Hop j.X; j.X - Groundnormal) so I am not sure whether that is something you'd be looking for
L.Chair, Hop jLP, cLK more stuff is pretty easy and char universal

As said, in the OP are various strings you can steal. If those don't work for you, you'd have to specify why

The most basic combo I could come up with on the spot would be [cLK cMK cHP - jLP jMP xx L.Blitzer, Down - [OTG]cMK - Canis Major Press]
This works with chair or no chair, deals some damage, is char universal, has good corner carry and ends in Hard Knockdown.
If the aforementioned Beo Link isn't too bad, you can likely do smth like [cLK cMK sHK xx L.Chair - Hop jLK - cLK cMK cHP - jLP jMP xx L.Blitzer, Down - [OTG]cMK - Canis Major Press backwards] and probably even get the chair back that way?
.. And would this suddenly not be a BnB anymore, because we added two simple links?

As you are only inputting one option. Option select contain 2 or more inputted option and the one with highest priority or the option that complied to the opponents option will come out
Option Select means you input "more than necessary" and the game acts differently depending on outside circumstances, leading to varying outcomes
2MK 236HP is totally an OS - If the normal whiffs, you just get the normal; if it is blocked or you hit you cancel into Fireball.
It has nothing to do with hitconfirming, and even less to do with this topic as a whole

Last edited:
Like i said cr.lk, st.mk, st.hk x qcf lk, 9hk, 2hk. This combo works with or with out chair and allows different follow up once this combo has ended. Cr.lk has the better range out of the Light attacks and hit low. St.mk reachs far and so does hk so even from max the combo NORMALLY works.
Thanks. That one is solid. I'm still looking for a good lead into grab mode that doesn't require the hop mp hk link, and a good combo to start from an OTG

These are fighting game terms, I just use sf4 because it's the game I played most before I came to SG. You'll find the same terms in mvc2 which is very similar to this game. Universal means works in most situations, no regard to meter, stun, or positioning. You don't have to hit a specific jump in, you don't have to have super, you don't have to be in the corner. For the most part, feel free to use this combo whenever you open up your opponent. But no engine is perfect and there might be exceptions based on character matchups. If you're upset with that definition, why are you defending 30hit chains as BnB?
Well your using definition from one game and applying to others.
3s has universal over heads but there no all the same
Ggxrd has universal 6P but not all are good at anti airing
Bnb are basic combos unlike sf4 this game has long combos. Iam not defending how people phrase there videos but if your doing 3 normals into special ender your not really taking advantage of what the game allows you to do.

Lose the argument, flee? <3

No, we are getting away from what I wanted in the thread, so it does me no good to push further.

cHP - jLK is already a Link in the given thing you posted, so I am not entirely sure what you are asking for. No hard links?
The most common Beo string is cLK cMK sHK xx L.Chair, Hop Normal, more Buttons - but there we got two links (L.Chair - Hop j.X; j.X - Groundnormal) so I am not sure whether that is something you'd be looking for
L.Chair, Hop jLP, cLK more stuff is pretty easy and char universal

As said, in the OP are various strings you can steal. If those don't work for you, you'd have to specify why

The most basic combo I could come up with on the spot would be [cLK cMK cHP - jLP jMP xx L.Blitzer, Down - [OTG]cMK - Canis Major Press]
This works with chair or no chair, deals some damage, is char universal, has good corner carry and ends in Hard Knockdown.
If the aforementioned Beo Link isn't too bad, you can likely do smth like [cLK cMK sHK xx L.Chair - Hop jLP - cLK cMK cHP - jLP jMP xx L.Blitzer, Down - [OTG]cMK - Canis Major Press backwards] and probably even get the chair back that way?
.. And would this suddenly not be a BnB anymore, because we added two simple links?

Thank you, I like that one. The second one is more like 2 BnBs linked together with an OTG follow-up. It's a good combo, but not simple enough to pull out of my ass when my brain is overloaded.

Well your using definition from one game and applying to others.
3s has universal over heads but there no all the same
Ggxrd has universal 6P but not all are good at anti airing
Bnb are basic combos unlike sf4 this game has long combos. Iam not defending how people phrase there videos but if your doing 3 normals into special ender your not really taking advantage of what the game allows you to do.
I know that BnB's aren't full damage, IPS stage 5 optimized, but they're easy and powerful. Also there's a company called universal studios, but what's your point?

Thanks. That one is solid. I'm still looking for a good lead into grab mode that doesn't require the hop mp hk link, and a good combo to start from an OTG
After knock down you can do cr.mk (puts opponent in clinch) you can k (for damage) p (for meter). In the corner you can end with k as it knocks opponent to far for follow up. But you can cr.lp, st.mp x release to drop mic, (if you hold too long it want combo) or you can do cr.mp but you will lose damage and gain no hype. Then st.HK x qcf.lk, 9hk, 2hk.

After knock down you can do cr.mk (puts opponent in clinch) you can k (for damage) p (for meter). In the corner you can end with k as it knocks opponent to far for follow up. But you can cr.lp, st.mp x release to drop mic, (if you hold too long it want combo) or you can do cr.mp but you will lose damage and gain no hype. Then st.HK x qcf.lk, 9hk, 2hk.

Awesome. I didn't know you could catch them on the way down from kicks in the corner. This is why we need this stuff posted...

Awesome. I didn't know you could catch them on the way down from kicks in the corner. This is why we need this stuff posted...
I guess this bring up a good point. I'll make sure to add things on the basis of me thinking "people already know this" next time I upload me beowulf video guides.

Sorry for the misunderstanding dude.

I know that BnB's aren't full damage, IPS stage 5 optimized, but they're easy and powerful. Also there's a company called universal studios, but what's your point?
This is what you get when you look for Marvel bnb, this is an UNIEL bnb video, this is a Persona bnb video, this is a GG bnb, this is a HM bnb, this is a SF bnb video and this is a SG bnb.
What do they all have in common? They all use what the game's combo system allows you to do to get good damage out of a hitconfirm. Yes, they all have varying lengths and some are harder to do than others. But that's because they are from different games. Skullgirls is a game of lengthy combos and resets. Of course its bnbs will be long.

Reactions: Dime
We've got an entire page of shit arguing about what a bnb is. Shut up and post more combos or ask specifically what you're looking for. Argue that shit in another thread.

c.lk, c.mp, c.hp,
j.lp, j.mk, j.hp,
hop j.mp,
s.hk,
walk forward, c.mp, s.hk xx L Hurting Hurl,
s.mk, c.hp,
s.lp, s.lk, s.mp (mic drop), s.hk xx L Wulf Blitzer, 9K, 1K,
otg c.mk, Naegling Knee Lift, Da Grendel Killa.

6664 dmg

I like this combo, it's pretty easy, does ok damage, builds 1 level of hype and the timing is the same for every character (aside from the c.hp link at the end, but yeah...) so it's very universal.

You can also switch the fifth and sixth chains for [c.mp, s.hk xx L Wulf Blitzer, 8K, 2K] if you don't wanna throw the chair but it might use the otg to follow up on heavy characters.

I now have fixed up my combo to have the things I liked, I think. Any suggestions are still of course always welcome!

Thanks @CaioLugon for a lot of ideas! (sHK xx Shoot, restand with just one airstring into hop jMP)
I'm not sure yet whether it's char universal, but I think it should be? Surely much harder to do on Heavies, though.
It deals a bit less damage than the combo Caio posted ^there, but I prefer mine :~

cLK cMK sHK xx L.Blitz 8 2
cLP cHP
- jLP jLK jHP
- Hop jMP
sHK xx Shoot {Knee/x4, Head}
cLK sMK sHK xx L.Blitz 8 3
[OTG]cMK {Knee, Breaker}

6337* (5940 if ending in Press for the hard KD)

*6437 with cMP in the first string, as Caio uses

@xtheradiostar
There, you see

- I took my first string just by pushing buttons and seeing what I like the most (cLK is obvious, cMK is the least minus on block and another low, sHK deals more dmg than sHP and moves me forward, Blitzer doesn't lose the chair)
- The second string is just cLP into Launch, that's not very genius to come up with
- The restand after launch I just stole from Caios post ^there; adjusted it to my needs (jLK instead of jMK) later due to Undizzy considerations
- sHK xx Shoot I took from the 3rd line of the 5th combo in the OP
- The ender I took from like any combo in this thread and adjusted it to my needs (cMP/sMK are the only things that reach, so I take the one with more dmg; then the most damaging Blitzer route)

The info IS out there, you just have to know where to look and what to make of it!

I got a combo for beowulf, if somebody already did this combo then damn.

CR.LK- CR.MP- S.HP- L.Hurting Hurl,
Hop MP, S.HK-Wolf Shoot- Kneex4-headbutt,
S.MK- CR.HP, CR.LP- CR.MP- CR.HP,
OTG S.LK- S.MK- S.HK- Gigantic Arm

On a 1:1 ratio match it does 7.1K, works in both mid-screen and corner, but I only tested this combo on Filia

Updated the OP with some beginner combos.
That's great! I'm gonna go learn those now :D

Easy to pull off universal combo. 5.8k damage, +1 hype.

any LP/LK > cMP > cHP
jMK > jHK
cLK > sMP > sHP > L chair
hop MP > sHK
Command grab > Knee x4 > Grendel killer

Works on anyone, anywhere with the exception of cornered heavy characters. They recover too quickly from Lchair when performed a certain distance against the corner.

Last edited:
A way to comfirm from cr.hk and some other things involving cr.hk. Early days but think there is more stuff I can find which is useful revolving around this move.

You can't combo off sweeps unless if it hits OTG. Set the dummy to ground tech.

You can't combo off sweeps unless if it hits OTG. Set the dummy to ground tech.
It is always interesting to me that people still make mistakes like these, since the training mode default settings are Ground Tech Backward and Escape Infinite Combos on the 1st hit. So in order to make mistakes like that you actually have to go CHANGE things...

Easy to pull off universal combo. 5.8k damage, +1 hype.

any LP/LK > cMP > cHP
jMK > jHK
cLK > sMP > sHP > L chair
hop MP > sHK
Command grab > Knee x4 > Grendel killer

Works on anyone, anywhere with the exception of cornered heavy characters. They recover too quickly from Lchair when performed a certain distance against the corner.
For heavy characters i use hop lk > s.lp > s.lk > s.mk > s.Hp > Knee > Grendel killer or Wulfdog

Some basic chair and chairless combos for very heavy characters.

Hey guys, I've been trying beowulf's combos for the past few days and I got to say i kinda like it.
However I'm having trouble on some of the combos in the advanced section, specifically concerning combos that have a s.hk, it either works, or it doesn't and it feels random, or sometimes s.hk doesn't come out as fast as it normally does.Is there some technique on timing to this or do I just have to keep doing it until i get it right?

Are you doing the mic drops? That bit a little finicky.

Are you doing the mic drops? That bit a little finicky.
No.
Specifically

the s.HK in;

c.lk, c.mp, c.hp,
j.lp, j.mk, j.hp,
hop j.mp,
[s.hk,],

The s.hk in;

c.lk, c.mp, s.hk xx L Hurting Hurl,
hop j.mk,
s.hk xx Wulf Shoot,

I haven't tried the other combos listed yet.
Either it kicks them midair, and they end up flying, or they end up recovering or blocking. And ofcourse sometimes it does work and the combo can continue

No.
Specifically

the s.HK in;

c.lk, c.mp, c.hp,
j.lp, j.mk, j.hp,
hop j.mp,
[s.hk,],

The s.hk in;

c.lk, c.mp, s.hk xx L Hurting Hurl,
hop j.mk,
s.hk xx Wulf Shoot,

I haven't tried the other combos listed yet.
Either it kicks them midair, and they end up flying, or they end up recovering or blocking. And ofcourse sometimes it does work and the combo can continue
If they go flying, you did the s.HK while they were still in the air. You need to delay it until they're on the ground.
If they recover and block, you did the s.HK too late.
Hop j.MP to s.HK is like a 5 frame link iirc. If you practice it you should be able to get it consistently.

Hey guys, I've been trying beowulf's combos for the past few days and I got to say i kinda like it.
However I'm having trouble on some of the combos in the advanced section, specifically concerning combos that have a s.hk, it either works, or it doesn't and it feels random, or sometimes s.hk doesn't come out as fast as it normally does.Is there some technique on timing to this or do I just have to keep doing it until i get it right?
It's very character specific for myself. Example para it's really easy for me to do but painwheel I normally hit ere for she lands, sending here flying across the screen. If in dout I do
hop Mk, s.Mk, cr.Hp

You guys dont have any intermediate combos do you?

i could probably use those.