• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beowulf Thread: Retiring from Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what The 'Wulf needs. Search your feelings. You know it to be true. Maybe using the Hurting as a "launch pad".
d4b.gif

Incidentally, it would be cool if he had unique throw animations when grabbing the opponent with his/her back turned, like Alex and Necro have.

I think that it would be better if his command run did this if he reached the wall without pressing a button. Then out of it the player could either do and moonsault or something of this sort. I will say that it would be very easy to see something like the backflip grab coming though.

Also, his "hit'em so hard they turn" move could just have the same properties as Val's normal grab. One frame or two, or even none, with them turning around then Beo manhandling them.

Basically, it would be the reverse of Fortune's head call in the sense that the input would make Beowulf dash to Hurting's location and the button used would determine the effect.
Holy crap, this is a great idea.

Beowulf, homes in on the chair and throws it at the opponent, haha.

This is my brief set of ideas for Beowulf's move list ideas. It was put into the other main Beowulf thread but Wayforger said it would be best here since it is more gameplay related.

Brief Beowulf ideas

Specials down down punch sets down the hurting can also be done from the air. Light punch sets it up like a bear trap which can temporarily lock the opponent, medium punch sets up the hurting as seat which Beowulf can stand on the alter the height of some his moves and can also serve as temporary shield as it would take 3 hits before being knock down. With heavy punch in where it is set flat to be used as a spring trap when the opponent walks over it. This motion picks up the chair afterward.

Quarter circle forward punch, Hurting Toss : Beowulf tosses the hurting forward. The button pressed determines damage and how fast it goes and how fast it goes.

Quarter circle forward kick, Wold Dash: a run move press light kick for a sudden stop, medium kick for a leaping pounce, heavy kick for a clothesline that swaps to the other side, press throw in which grabs the opponent and chucks them, f at the corner this wall bounces.

Quarter forward circle throw, Piledriver: Nothing much, just a piledriver and does good damage.

Quarter circle backwards throw x 3, triple suplex : Beowulf will grab the opponent and suplex three times when the motion is done two more times after the initial grab.

Shoryuken motion, throw reach the sky: Beowulf jumps into the air and grabs the opponent and slam dunks them into the ground, which causes hard knockdown.

Taunt 3 full circles, Beowulf will put on his wolf hood and makes him a bit faster and claw energy effect to his punch normal giving him a bit more range, Will lose this powerup if hit

Supers

Gigant Throw Full circle throw, Level 1: Beowulf grabs the opponent and spins them a round in a huge giant throw move, will cause them to stick to the wall if they are in range of the corner walls. The opponent would be toss almost half way across the stage.

A hand please? Quarter circle forward two punches, Level 1: Beowulf grabs Grendel’s arm and slam the crap out the opponent for at least 7 hits.

Becoming the Wulf Quarter circle backwards two punches ,Level 3: Beowulf put on the hood on this time but he is faced is covered in shadows and his eyes start glowing unlike the taunt this one runs on a timer and boosts more things like his throws and specials and overall damage. If done after his taunt boost it only costs two meter to use.

Quote idea

Intro Finally the Wulf has come back to.,. what is this place ?

The wulf’s story has only just begun.

Yet another hurdle to conquer.

Win quotes The best there is the best there was and the best there will be, Bret hart quote

The pleasure was all yours Jesse ventura quote ( Note I have no idea who these two people are how famous they are wrestling , which probably something I should researched more when making this, my apologies about that)

This is why I’m the champ, This one is my own idea, apologies if this is a quote from some else.

This is my brief set of ideas for Beowulf's move list ideas. It was put into the other main Beowulf thread but Wayforger said it would be best here since it is more gameplay related.
Toolbar.png

^^^If you click on the Smiley Face in the Toolbar of your Reply Box it will bring up a large number of small images that you can use so that you don't have to type out every single command.
For Example: Quarter Circle Forward Punch = :QCF::P:

Reactions: Cybermanworf
I figured it's best I ask here:
The indiegogo page says that Beowulf has been funded without story
and stage, but I remember hearing that we're getting the stage and such.
Are we?

Beowulf will get everything that the other characters are getting, that includes stage and story.

Beowulf will get everything that the other characters are getting, that includes stage and story.
Great, thanks for telling me.
Looking forward to that!

I figured it's best I ask here:
The indiegogo page says that Beowulf has been funded without story
and stage, but I remember hearing that we're getting the stage and such.
Are we?
I believe there suddenly was something they didn't need to pay for, so that's why Beowulf is getting a story, contrary to the Indiegogo page.

I was just thinking about the idea that keeps cropping up here that by placing the hurting down, Beowulf could get a higher jump off a run move by vaulting off of it.
Wouldn't a higher jump not be that viable since it would give the opponent more time to react to it
I'm going on the assumption that a run move would be like Guys from SSF4:AE being able to choose between a low slide or jump overhead move.

Wouldn't a higher jump not be that viable since it would give the opponent more time to react
It's not just a higher jump, we've been discussing the possibility of several different powerful attacks that could be done after the initial vault. Think outside of the ring for a moment.

It's not just a higher jump, we've been discussing the possibility of several different powerful attacks that could be done after the initial vault. Think outside of the ring for a moment.

Like vaulting off the chair then bouncing off the side of the stage followed with a powerful elbow drop or body splash?
But again I think the higher jump arc would be easier to defend against or react to.
I'd say that moves on a ground run should work like blockable attacks and chair vaults should work like Elfuerte run grabs. i.e Fajita Buster and Tortilla.

Like vaulting off the chair then bouncing off the side of the stage followed with a powerful elbow drop or body splash?
Yes, just like that, but more grabby. Who cares if it's easy to defend against, the point is high risk and high reward.

Yes, just like that, but more grabby. Who cares if it's easy to defend against, the point is high risk and high reward.

Vaulting anti air grabs. The opponent jumps up. Beowulf vaults up and tackles them out of the air.

Yeah this thread already discussed stuff like that a while ago.

I like the ideas I have read. You should also take a page from SSIV Abel in combo tushes that lead to grabs.

A page from King that grabs can combo into other grabs (but not as many as King brcause that would leave little for the opponent to escape)

I don't like the idea of him becoming 'wolf like' by putting his hood on but becoming a dirty wrestler? That might work. In other words hood on means he plays like a wrestling heel: dirty moves all over such as low blows into a grab, eye poke into a grab. Think Rick Flair, Eddie Guerrero. Hood off means he plays like a face: clean acrobatic and stylish wrestling. Think Rey Misterio, good Sin Cara

I'd love to see an anti-air grab super like Zangiefs Siberian Blizzard (Ultra 2) from SSF4:AE for Beowulf. I'm just thinking that it would be a little OP and
I'm not sure how to balance it.

I'd really like to know what benefit throwing the chair gets you. Like would it act like cerebella's reflect, and destroy projectiles on the screen or hit the opponent so hard it bounces them off the wall and back to Beowulf like cerebella's kanchou. Also It would be pretty cool If he could stand on the chair so he can't low hit anymore but his attacks become overheads. Plus standing on the chair makes him avoid most low hits and maybe throws like val's backdash. I would hope it to be fast so it would be an actual mixup or maybe setting the chair down to stand on would have an attack box and be an overhead itself. Maybe he could leap off the chair and crash land on you wherever you are like Hulk gamma crush from mvc3. One other thing is maybe he could auto block on certain attacks only when he has the chair so when you don't have it his defense suffers. kinda like head on head off fortune.

I'm posting this here so I don't derail the Eliza Thread.
All I was saying was you could have ya know told me that to begin with to avoid confusion. But that's all I have to say.
Like I said, that's not my responsibility. Granted that would have been the nice thing for me to do, but I'm pretty sure everyone already knows how bad I am at being nice. The point is that you and everyone else is aware that Beowulf's Stage & Story Mode is funded. That's the only confusion that I sought to remedy.

I'm posting this here so I don't derail the Eliza Thread.

Like I said, that's not my responsibility. Granted that would have been the nice thing for me to do, but I'm pretty sure everyone already knows how bad I am at being nice. The point is that you and everyone else is aware that Beowulf's Stage & Story Mode is funded. That's the only confusion that I sought to remedy.

Wonderful. I figured he would get one some way, but I was still a bit worried. But thanks for trying to help.

yah Beowulf's stage and story were funded (thankfully), I think it was because they no longer had to pay to submit patches for XBLA and PSN

Beowulf's stage. I'm curious what it will be. The obvious solution is a wrestling ring, no doubt with a crowd as diverse and colorful as those that inhabit any other stage. But they might not go for the obvious.

It also occurred to me that it might be appropriate for Beowulf -- as much a spirited competitor seeking a worth foe as a wrestler -- to incorporate a bit of fighting game lingo into his language. Not much, but a "GG" at a victory and other such subtle nods. Just seems right, IMHO.

Beowulf's stage. I'm curious what it will be. The obvious solution is a wrestling ring, no doubt with a crowd as diverse and colorful as those that inhabit any other stage. But they might not go for the obvious.

It also occurred to me that it might be appropriate for Beowulf -- as much a spirited competitor seeking a worth foe as a wrestler -- to incorporate a bit of fighting game lingo into his language. Not much, but a "GG" at a victory and other such subtle nods. Just seems right, IMHO.

A ring makes the most sense. But what about a gym or something? A ring won't typically have a lot of space. And I'm sure there'll be wrestling stuff and maybe fighting game stuff.

I'd just like to remind everyone that the Skullgirls Universe doesn't have video games.

Reactions: Arcana
Remember Beowulf is retired i doubt we will see a ring in his story, but who knows maybe

If Beowulf has a ring for a stage, I think it will be in a flashback (although characters don't usually interact in flashbacks).

I keep thinking that at one point Cerebella rushes to challenge Beowulf in a ring after a match.

A ring makes the most sense. But what about a gym or something? A ring won't typically have a lot of space. And I'm sure there'll be wrestling stuff and maybe fighting game stuff.

Remember Beowulf is retired i doubt we will see a ring in his story, but who knows maybe

Point. Yeah, a gym seems just as likely, now I consider it. Or maybe just the mean streets of New Meridian, if that's where Beowulf is picking up challengers. Now I suddenly really hope he's doing underground cage fights in dingy bars or something... unlikely, I know, but what a stage it'd be.

I'd just like to remind everyone that the Skullgirls Universe doesn't have video games.

Not something that would preclude a bit of fighting game lingo in Beowulf's dialogue -- it also lacks internet memes, but apparently by convergent evolution, "can I haz cheezburger" is recognized by Ms. Fortune. It'd get obnoxious if it was everywhere, but a bit here and there? Still sounds fun to me.

Reactions: yellowflash26
Not something that would preclude a bit of fighting game lingo in Beowulf's dialogue -- it also lacks internet memes, but apparently by convergent evolution, "can I haz cheezburger" is recognized by Ms. Fortune. It'd get obnoxious if it was everywhere, but a bit here and there? Still sounds fun to me.
I wasn't talking to you specifically I was talking to everyone who wants blatant video game references in Skullgirls. There's a little something called a theme that needs to be maintained, so there can't be arcade sticks or fighting game posters sitting in the background of gym stages.

I have my own reasons for why I think Beowulf shouldn't have any fighting game lingo in his dialogue.

to be fair Fortune is criminal pundit, it makes sense for her to use puns such as that. though beowulf he is more like a Ryu type guy who is just traveling to face the strongest opponents, so he would be more serious in nature

to be fair Fortune is criminal pundit, it makes sense for her to use puns such as that. though beowulf he is more like a Ryu type guy who is just traveling to face the strongest opponents, so he would be more serious in nature

I disagree. I don't think he'll be a really serious dude. I think he's gonna be one of those go get em eager to fight guys who loves matches and thinks they're fun win or lose. I also think he'll have some jokes in his dialogue.

Don't characters mention pop culture references despite being serious or not? Big Band mentioned a number of pop culture references, and he's actually one of the most serious characters.

I see that those of you who don't frequent The Wulf Den are unsure of what Beowulf's personality is like.

One of the most important pieces of information The Wulf Pack has about Beowulf's personality is a direct quote by Alex Ahad taken during a Salty Stream where he said, "Beowulf would be like Kamina." For those of you who don't know much about Gurren Lagann, Kamina is a hot-blooded and charismatic idealist with a love for battle and strong leadership abilities. He is known for his never say die attitude and refusal to be held back by any obstacle in his path. I believe that Kamina's most important attributes are his unbreakable will and fighting spirit, something that I believe Beowulf shares if his story is any indication.

I believe that to know Kamina is to know Beowulf, for the sake of characterization we should consider other factors, such as the fact that Beowulf is over 10 years older than Kamina and comes from another universe. I would like to make one thing clear before I continue, Beowulf is not a transparent archetype, over a year of research and discussion by The Wulf Pack has revealed that. Now look below at a question taken from a Q&A with Alex Ahad.
One time you said that Beowulf retired as a result of his match with Grendel. What happened during that match that caused Beowulf to step down?
“Most fans thought that that it was to keep his winning streak, but ripping off your opponent’s arm and killing their mom… you have to think about where your job is taking you”
Beowulf is not some battle hungry idiot, that one sentence turns him into a believable character and a real human being with real human emotion. Beowulf retired out of guilt for his past actions despite their necessity. Although he's praised as a hero he sees himself differently which adds a level of humility, a realistic trait for an adult of his age.

I'm not going to sum up Beowulf's personality, but you can make your own assumptions based on the information I've given you. If you want the complete list of questions asked during Alex Ahad's Q&A just click this link.
http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?threads/the-wulf-den.24/page-32#post-86281

Beowulf is around Parasoul's size... is that short? Also I knew Beowulf would be retired because of something related to his feud with Grendel and his mom.

Now for whether he's a president of a business or not...

It's still a bit sketchy whether or not he's a bookworm.

Beowulf is around Parasoul's size... is that short? Also I knew Beowulf would be retired because of something related to his feud with Grendel and his mom.
Parasoul is 5'10''/178 cm, so he's kind of tall.

Tall compared to me at least.

Yeah but I expect him to be taller, like at least 6'0". That's how I think wrestlers are anyway, based on basic assumption and lack of knowledge regarding wrestlers' heights.

I see that those of you who don't frequent The Wulf Den are unsure of what Beowulf's personality is like...

Ah, thanks for the link. Appreciate it.

Parasoul is 5'10''/178 cm, so he's kind of tall.

Tall compared to me at least.

Yeah but I expect him to be taller, like at least 6'0". That's how I think wrestlers are anyway, based on basic assumption and lack of knowledge regarding wrestlers' heights.

That puts him a few inches below Valentine and Eliza, but that says more about them than him. (He's probably billed at 6'1 or 6'2; wrestlers always get a few inches added to their real heights in the papers.)

EDIT: First time around I accidentally said "Parasoul and Eliza". Whoops.

Last edited:
That puts him a few inches below Parasoul and Eliza
Didn't I just make it clear that he's around Parasoul's height?
DLC_Lineup_Uncovered02.png

Status
Not open for further replies.