• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beowulf Thread: Retiring from Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am for the amalgamation of all three.
I agree, but if I had to choose one then I would choose hero, it's the reason I voted for him.

Reactions: WayForger
I agree, but if I had to choose one then I would choose hero, it's the reason I voted for him.

An intelligent hero, Beowulf was not a brute. He was the Joseph Joestar of the Danish people.

An intelligent hero, Beowulf was not a brute. He was the Joseph Joestar of the Danish people.
I actually just started watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure today! What a bizzare coincidence!

Beowulf should totally have some Jojo poses, I mean Cerebella has one and she's a fan of Beowulf.

Last edited:
Jonathan_ASB.jpg
The truest of win poses.

So how are the Beowulf fans feeling about the prospective move sets that have been made by users here? Does anyone have any input or criticisms. Maybe we should actually look into what we want for Beowulf in playstyle as well.

This might sound weird, but what about a grab counter, since wrestlers tend to try and get out of grappling?

seriously, real talk, if fortune can quote memes why can't Beowulf have some dumb wrestler stuff?

like, one of his time out frames should be him having trouble holding a razor blade.

Reactions: Calypsx
seriously, real talk, if fortune can quote memes why can't Beowulf have some dumb wrestler stuff?

like, one of his time out frames should be him having trouble holding a razor blade.

because that'll teach the kids that hurting people is ok

Hey, what if throwing the chair worked like throwing eggs in Yoshi's Island, where you hold the button for an angle adjuster, giving Beowulf more freedom on where to put the chair?

Hey, what if throwing the chair worked like throwing eggs in Yoshi's Island, where you hold the button for an angle adjuster, giving Beowulf more freedom on where to put the chair?
wouldn't that be what the light, medium, and heavy inputs would be for? plus, that playstyle would probably leave beo out in the open if he had to stay in one position for too long.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
Not necessarily, Fortune only has the one input for her head toss, and she only ever tosses it the same way, air or ground.

Not necessarily, Fortune only has the one input for her head toss, and she only ever tosses it the same way, air or ground.
but Parasoul can fire tears at different angles based on the inputs, so Beo's could be the same.

I think that's a good idea for Lab Zero to consider, but I'd be worried about how to balance it.
The time needed to reach the maximum height and angle of the toss would have to be very short so Beowulf wouldn't be exposed for too long. It opens up new options for how his light, medium, and heavy punches will be used though.

Oh and in the future you don't have to make the same post in both this thread and The Wulf Den.
Retiring from Retirement is totally dedicated to discussion about Beowulf's general gameplay so it will do just fine.

Maybe the light, medium, and hard inputs start the chair throwing at a desired angle, and players can adjust it just enough between the spaces?

Maybe the light, medium, and hard inputs start the chair throwing at a desired angle, and players can adjust it just enough between the spaces?
you only need 3 angles though.

Sano have you ever tossed anything? This isn't a bullet we're firing, speed, power, and angle are all factors that should be taken into consideration.

If Beowulf can control the speed, power, and angle of his toss freely it could give him a very strong advantage.

I know, I was saying that the desired three angles would be the immediate if you press it, and you can adjust it slightly if you hold it down and push up or down.

Reactions: Denizen
but if you hold it down it leaves him open. which means you either have to allow that to happen or make faster and therefore harder to get adjust it the way you want it which means it could be easily misfired or the wrong angle could be achieved.

I think something similar to Parasoul's tear toss would work best.

I think something similar to Parasoul's tear toss would work best.
I hate Parasoul's napalm toss so much though, besides it seems too simple.

The more I think about it the more I'm starting to like Dr. Sanity's idea.

but if you hold it down it leaves him open. which means you either have to allow that to happen or make faster and therefore harder to get adjust it the way you want it which means it could be easily misfired or the wrong angle could be achieved.
Then you...practice with it? I'm not saying it's going to be 100% efficient, but the possibility of adjustment is what I think would make it interesting to mess with.
Maybe it gets more powerful the longer you hold, but you're left more open for balance?

I actually think something along Captain America's (a character Beo will be based on) shield toss would be the best thing for the chair toss. shield toss covers low, medium and high angles and can be worked in multiple was such as OTGs, combo extenders, and even anti-airs. adding in different angles and strengths by holding down the button to do it seems excessive and unnecessary.

I thought being excessive and unnecessary was Beowulf's style?

you also gotta make him fighting game workable. not saying he can't have over the top moves but he should also have good setups and workable special moves.
T_american2.gif

Captainamerica2.gif

trust the Cap'n's shield.

I have no idea how Captain America works, but I really like Dr. Sanity's idea. I'm not saying that Beowulf should definitely have this mechanic, but the idea should stay on the table. Simple and easy doesn't always mean better.

Oh and I have to give TechPowah credit for suggesting adjustable throws.

Reactions: TechPowah
I would like it to be MvC2 Captain America where when he throws it, the chair unfolds unless he is close enough to catch it

I have no idea how Captain America works, but I really like Dr. Sanity's idea. I'm not saying that Beowulf should definitely have this mechanic, but the idea should stay on the table. Simple and easy doesn't always mean better.

Oh and I have to give TechPowah credit for suggesting adjustable throws.
basically, when cap does his shield toss with the light button, he tosses it at a low angle that can hit opponents off the ground. medium has him toss it higher and hits at a mid angle, which when used as an assist, can be used as a combo extender. and heavy has him toss it high in the air making it an anti-air projectile.

I would like it to be MvC2 Captain America where when he throws it, the chair unfolds unless he is close enough to catch it

I think it'd be cool if the chair properties were like: if it hits the opponent in mid-air, the chair lands unfolded for beo to pick up, if it doesn't then the chair lands folded for him to use his command run (he has el fuerte and r.mika as his gameplay bases as well) and him onto for his adjusted angle moves.

That's cool but I still think that Beowulf should have some more original mechanics for his moves.

Someone here suggested at some point that his command dash should be a forward charge and all I could think was, "Oh so you just want to make Cerebella again?"

Last edited:
That's cool but I still think that Beowulf should have some more original mechanics for his moves.

Someone here suggested at some point that his command dash should be a forward charge and all I thought was, "Oh so you just want to make Cerebella again?"
this would be different from bella though. this wouldn't be a charge and again, these ideas are from Alex's ideas for his gameplay. both R.Mika and El Fuerte both have command runs, which wreslters will often do. running at each other for clotheslines, dropkicks, and 619s.

this would be different from bella though. this wouldn't be a charge and again, these ideas are from Alex's ideas for his gameplay. both R.Mika and El Fuerte both have command runs, which wreslters will often do. running at each other for clotheslines, dropkicks, and 619s.
You're misunderstanding what I'm saying dude.
I want Beowulf to have a command dash, I don't want that dash to have a charge input.

oh no they wouldn't. Fuerte and Mika's are both quater circle inputs, which is a way better thing to do for a command dash IMO.

I know that.

I was just making a point that Beowulf shouldn't be copying all of his moves from other characters.

Well, lemme come up with some possible dash follow-ups:

-Beowulf doing a Mega Man-esque slide for a low sweep
-Throwing Hurting mid-dash
-Holding Hurting up to charge into them, like Shizuo's car door in Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax, possibly some Egret Call-type projectile ignorance.
-For a Blockbuster, super version with Beowulf using Grendel's arm, keeping space between you and the other player.
-Give him a cancel, but one that can be followed up by a dash follow-up anyway, as a sort of "fake-out feint"

Beowulf's Level 5 Blockbuster Grab!

Grand Finale Someone please think of a better name
First Beowulf must use his Level 1 Super "Gargantuan Fist" which is done by pressing :QCF::PP:. Before the punch hits the opponent press:360::P:+:K:, this will change the punch into a grab that consumes the entire Tension Meter.
This is a very difficult move to land but if it connects it will lead into one of the most spectacular high damage Blockbusters in the game.

Cerebella is a huge fan of Beowulf, so it's only natural for her to imitate him during her fights.
Her famous Ultimate Showstopper is in fact one of these imitations, one that pales in comparison to the real deal. Beowulf's Grand Finale is a move were he takes Grendel's Arm and uses it to grab the opponent in it's hand. Beowulf then proceeds to slam the opponent into the ground with Grendel's Arm over and over again, just like how Cerebella does with Vice Versa, only on a much larger scale. The force of each impact is enormous, enough to quake the earth and shatter the ground beneath him. Beowulf then throws Grendel's Arm into the sky with the poor soul still clenched in it's fist. Beowulf takes a strong wide stance as he prepares for the arm to return to Earth.

Finally as the arm falls down Beowulf finishes by driving both his fists into Grendel's fist, crushing the opponent and causing a shockwave to ripple through the stage. The arm flies off screen while the opponent drops to the ground.

Last edited:
I think that if Beowulf will have a level 5, it'll have to involve the Hurting in some way. Pretty cool idea, though.

Fists Full of Quarters?

I was actually thinking something along the lines of "Grand Finale," short and sweet. It fits with the overall theme of SG and the actual underlying concept of the move: Get hit with this and the shows over.

I was actually thinking something along the lines of "Grand Finale," short and sweet. It fits with the overall theme of SG and the actual underlying concept of the move: Get hit with this and the shows over.
Excellent work as always Commander, until further notice I am calling it the Grand Finale.

Status
Not open for further replies.