• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beowulf Thread: Retiring from Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I'm in a bad mood.

Didn't I just make it clear that he's around Parasoul's height?
DLC_Lineup_Uncovered02.png
...you did. I meant to say "Valentine," at 6'0, but had Parasoul on the brain.

Despite what you say, Denizen, I still think it would be cool if he shouted out fighting game terms every now and then like Bang Shishigami does. "UKEMI!"

Reactions: Kuzlalala
How old is Beowulf...?

Isn't it older than Cerebella? Idk

Cerebella is just 18. Even Nadia is older than her.
Beobeo is around late 20s/30s, like Mrs Victoria
I too don't find him having videogame references really appealing...must be his old-style fashion.

Reactions: Denizen
1-Since we talkin about wrestler. I think is reasonable that him have a fake move for trick the enemy or a hit that doesn't do damage that can be a combo starter.You know... isn't like im telling is a fake stuff *cough*.

2-Another idea that is for the end of the match, after a victory, him start look around and call, over and over, a name of one character that dont came out of election. Making reference to Rocky "Adriaaaan" scene. Like: "Annie!Annie!" or Venus... *sigh*.

3-Another thing that can work,since Eliza in beta we saw that most of your moves are related to Egyptian gods, and this looks cool, we can put similar stuff on Beo,at least in name of the moves. In your portrait him hold a giant arm and on nordic mythology Odin killed the ice giants, Fenrir, a wolf-like god... Damn you Filia! *Cough* And others cool gods with cool background histories.

Ps: number 1 and 2 is a must have! :PUN:

Reactions: blueberrymilk
Number 1 sounds good... Something like Yuns Flip Grab, maybe?

3-Another thing that can work,since Eliza in beta we saw that most of your moves are related to Egyptian gods, and this looks cool, we can put similar stuff on Beo,at least in name of the moves. In your portrait him hold a giant arm and on nordic mythology Odin killed the ice giants, Fenrir, a wolf-like god... Damn you Filia! *Cough* And others cool gods with cool background histories.

Yes, he should have Norse mythology references, since Beowulf is from the Viking Age, no?

Also this is where it will be awesome if Beowulf is a bookworm. If he's a bookworm we'll get a whole lot of literature references from his moves!

OK OK I'm really hoping that Beowulf would be a bookworm but if he isn't it'll be OK. TT_TT

Yes, he should have Norse mythology references, since Beowulf is from the Viking Age, no?

Beowulf was an Old English epic. It more commonly associated with Irish folklore.

I'm pretty sure those are not the same things. One or the other

Beowulf was an Old English epic. It more commonly associated with Irish folklore.
Irish? I'm pretty sure it's in where it's now Denmark and that would mean Beowulf would be associated with Scandinavian folklore.

Irish? I'm pretty sure it's in where it's now Denmark and that would mean Beowulf would be associated with Scandinavian folklore.

Actually everyone is wrong..it's an Anglo Saxon epic poem commonly associated with England and Ireland because the most commonly used translation was done by Seamus Hanney poet Laureate of Ireland.

It is also England's National Epic Poem.

Tolkein's Translation was actually just released which is pretty cool. I however digress.

Reactions: WayForger
Whoops forgot (or didn't know) that it was set in Scandinavia but written in England.

Anyway, I kinda hope that Beowulf would get a non-standard accent, no?

I dunno really. I always took it less literally. He dresses like a viking with the furs..and he's named Beowulf..but I mean, I always thought that is was more of a metaphor poking fun at the fact that professional wrestlers and vikings share a certain pathos..Masculine cultures about fighting and drinking...and fighting some more in order to increase the recognition of your name through trophies and honors acquired in combat.

He doesn't necessarily need to have a Nordic accent, to be royalty, or to wear a pointed hat.

Bruiser_Brody.jpg

Ya know..I think I just described Bruiser Brody.. carry on.

Last edited:
Posted this in the Wulf Den thread already but looks like there may be some official Beowulf news very soon:

0SQpkap.png

I will actually be surprised if work on Beowulf has already started.

Well, they did say concepts, they've probably done a lot of work on Beowulf's by now. Also the animation part may be "Robo-Fortune" or just regular Fortune's animations with details to adjustments to Robo.

Isn't Robo-Fortune after Beowulf, though? At this rate, it's more likely that they'll only have concepts for Robo-Fortune.

I meant showing Ms. Fortune's already-made animations and saying "we were planning on this to do blah blah blah when we reuse it for Robo-Fortune"

Oh, ok then. That would make sense.

Even though I am not super hype over Beowulf (didn't vote for him or anything, bleh) I cannot wait to see him in action. I kinda think...he will be the best male character in Skullgirls, ironically. I also think his palettes will be pretty cool too.

Well Kinuko said a few weeks ago that all stuff for Eliza is done in some form and I guess Eliza will be totally done for July and in August we will see her official release, so Beowulf and Robo-Fortune for Christmas will be a nice gift.

Eliza is a transforming mass of blood, she has a Parasite that can separate itself from its host, she has an ancient magical scythe, she can summon two bodyguards to assist her in battle, and she's basically 2.5 characters in one.
SHE CAN FLY, SHE CAN SING, ELIZA HAS SO MUCH HAPPENING WITH HER!

For the first time I'm actually worried about how Beowulf will turn out. Beowulf is just a man with a chair and I'm worried that it might mean that less effort will be spent on his development and that he'll be outshined by Eliza.
I know I shouldn't think that way and I know I should believe in Lab Zero, but everyone's faith wavers at some point and this is my moment of weakness.

WULF PACK I NEED HELP, REMIND ME WHY I VOTED FOR BEOWULF!

You voted for Beo because he has a spirit of a fighter despite his lack of fancy weapons! (I think)

Besides, he's got prizes from his previous matches and he also has his wolf theme, so he's gonna be spectacular, I know it.

Reactions: Denizen
Woops, I meant to post that in The Wulf Den, please direct all further responses there.

Oh...

Anyway, how many more hours until Beowulf's first look?

10 hours and fifteen minutes...no word on a stream of the event.

Would be nice if one of your moves have some "interaction" with the audience, supposing that the screen is the wrestling ring and the below of bottom was the place where the people stay, one of your move can be someone of the audience can throw something to Beo hit the adversary, maybe your trophies, or when isnt in possession of your chair for too long her can come back to your hands this way. Make this happen folks!
Feel free to use this Maiku! :PUN:

Edit: or him have a coach,like the Punch Out! one, the coach throw the trophies/stuff to him.

Well before we have anything today, going back to inspirations:

• Tizoc (Garou:Mark of the Wolves)
  • Rainbow Mika (Street Fighter Alpha 3)
  • Randy "Macho Man" Savage (WWE)
  • The Ultimate Warrior (WCW)
  • King (Tekken series)
  • El Fuerte (Street Fighter IV)
  • Captain America (Marvel comics)
These were listed in the indygogo campaign. Of course with hindsight we know that Eliza dropped or picked up character moves completely non-related to the characters in her list including weapon x, doom rocks, and taking more of a jojo approach than an A.B.A approach and not using anything close to the top system. same with big band who is largely q but with a bit of juggernaut, hugo, and pot. So inspirations are a bit subject to change which isn't a bad thing.

And descriptions by the devs range again from using the chair as a means of changing height and reach, to using trophies from previous battles, to descriptions of powerbombs, suplexes, and power slams. I think they briefly talked about him sitting in the background of stages and tagging in with the character you are currently playing as.

But just generally we have several characters who would be considered nontraditional grapplers with running attacks or attacks used to cover space Mike Z's description that he would add some sort of famous complex grappler input as Beowulf's taunt (which indicates he will be some sort of grappler type thing). None of these characters would be considered slow like Hugo or gief nor are they particularly large. And Ahad has even gone as far to say that Beowulf would be a middleweight..Strength level is said to be "not pretty but he gets the job done".

We will see where this goes today or in a few months. But food for thought.

Last edited:
Was there any mention of a move where he builds meter like MvC Thor or Felicia from Darkstalkers? He just pulls down a hanging mike and starts talking smack to the opponent.
That would be cool.
also now that I've been reminded of him sitting in the background during matches, I can kind of imagine him watching the fight intently and shimmying back and forth on the hurting to stay on-screen, all with this eager schoolkid look on his face. lol

Reactions: Shockdingo
Now we wait for a kind soul to upload a video of the AX '14 Skullgirls Panel.

Now that work on Beowulf has officially begun I would like to remind everyone of what discussion goes where.
Dedicated serious discussion about Beowulf's development occurs here in The Beowulf Thread.
Inarticulate yelling and hype for the greatest Skullgirls Character occurs over in The Wulf Den.
The entrances are on your left and your right respectively.

Last edited:
Here are the minor differences I noticed between Beowulf's New Design and his Indiegogo Portrait.
-The Hurting is now slightly larger.
-It also has larger black foot caps.
-Beowulf's calves are thicker, he no longer skips leg day.
-His gold belt buckle now has a solid cap on it.
-The argyle pattern on his shirt is more simplified.
-Beowulf's forehead is a little more pronounced.
-His pants are slightly longer.

One major thing I noticed. In Beowulf's side view I see a small black object between his belt and The Hurting.
I can't tell what it is but I'm guessing that it might be something to hold his chair up.

Beowulf seems to have a large if not tall forehead.

Status
Not open for further replies.