• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Black Dahlia Alpha/Beta Gameplay Discussion Thread

Hey guys, let you know Black Dahlia is officially released for the PlayStation and Xbox this week.

cool thanks for sharing

Since Black Dahlia couldn't get her Nine the Phantom palette during development, she stays in my palette pack idea after Annie's Izayoi palette because in terms of BlazBlue character introductions, Izayoi was introduced before Nine. A purple blank spot before Double in her Merkava palette is on there to pave the way for Marie's Orie palette on the Under Night In-Birth row if she doesn't get it during development. Also, the top row is interesting. It has characters depicting one on each installment of the BlazBlue franchise from Calamity Trigger to Central Fiction.

bandicam 2023-05-25 19-43-15-348.jpg

Last edited:
Since Black Dahlia couldn't get her Nine the Phantom palette during development, she stays in my palette pack idea after Annie's Izayoi palette because in terms of BlazBlue character introductions, Izayoi was introduced before Nine. A purple blank spot before Double in his Merkava palette is on there to pave the way for Marie's Orie palette on the Under Night In-Birth row if she doesn't get it during development. Also, the top row is interesting. It has characters depicting one on each installment of the BlazBlue franchise from Calamity Trigger to Central Fiction.

View attachment 16891
Out of curiosity, what's the yellow row if Blaz is Blue and Under Night is Purple?

Out of curiosity, what's the yellow row if Blaz is Blue and Under Night is Purple?
The yellow row is the Persona 4 Arena row with Peacock, Parasoul and Filia depicting Teddie, P4A Mitsuru Kirijo and Labrys.

Last edited:
I believe it's been said there will be a bit of a testing period on the Marie alpha for black dahlia tweaks, like alternative reloads and whatnot, to be tested.
if that is true, I would love to see some of these ideas in the beta to test them out.

-Fixed lengths of KK (Just like barrel).

-Increased number of, or earliness for special bullets to appear in the meterless reload. (But still random, if it's not random it would fight with Last Call).

-Teleport or counter somehow helping in combos. For example, counter could be held to be used as a counter like it already does, or tapped to attack in place. (Following the rules of empower where you can only hit it once per combo)
This would also make it a relatively good assist choice for resource building(?)
No ideas (that doesn't need new animations) for teleport though.

-And 5HP and normal bullets to bounce a bit higher.

If she doesn't get any more changes she'll be fine. Last Patch solved most of her weak sides and she now stomps, mostly on neutral against characters with no zoning. She's also the character that enables tags the best, and has the tools to play both point and mid, she is great and fully playable. Some things that don't require new animations could be explored even if she released already though.

Anywho thanks for reading and making black dahlia, love the char <3

Last edited:
Lots of matches with Dahlia in them tend to go to time, I've noticed, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, probably by nature of how long her projectiles control space in the air and the fact that she can play keepaway. What do people think about increasing her chip damage to speed the game up a bit?

I love chip damage (genuinely)

Sorry for double posting but I wanted to ask if there was a way to distinguish between Dahlia's counters? I'm mostly talking about the L and M ones, it's possible to land cancel the counter's hit for a bigger punish window and I was wondering if there was a way to be able to tell which one she did so I can land cancel the appropriate direction? Maybe a glint in her eye to indicate that she'll cross up if she gets hit or something?

Reactions: ShinFenrir
This is a very silly and unnecessary idea I'm throwing out regarding Dhalia's Parting Gift. On the rare chance you actually end a match on a timeout where one or both point characters have an active bomb attached to them, the bomb should explode. I have no idea how'd this work within the rigmaroles of the game engine logic, but it's an entertaining idea that came about because alexpi and I are bad at dhalia casuals.

I was wondering if there was a way to be able to tell which one she did so I can land cancel the appropriate direction?
The ambiguity is by design right now.

Since it is somewhat simple to "safe jump" (or use setups like them) to block in time even without trying to, you at least take a mix up for poking the hornets nest.

This is a very silly and unnecessary idea I'm throwing out regarding Dhalia's Parting Gift. On the rare chance you actually end a match on a timeout where one or both point characters have an active bomb attached to them, the bomb should explode. I have no idea how'd this work within the rigmaroles of the game engine logic, but it's an entertaining idea that came about because alexpi and I are bad at dhalia casuals.

Good note, I'll see about adjusting that sometime soon.

This is a very silly and unnecessary idea I'm throwing out regarding Dhalia's Parting Gift...
speaking of silly ideas, would be very nice if the opponent stayed frozen permanently when dahlia ends a match with ice bullet

Man do I regret not participating in the alpha/beta of the peakest character of all time 'cause everytime I do jHK early cancel to shot I wish it could do this
Fwiw Dahlia's projectile game is already good but I just keep thinking about it.

(She doesn't need it, just felt like sharing)

Last edited:
Reactions: antiglow
Sorry another double post, I was messing around with Barrel DHCs and noticed that MK+HK Barrel super seems to have a different initial hitbox compared to the ones. Was that intentional?

For reference:
MK+HK Barrel First Hitbox

The other combinations for Barrel super

Personally I'd prefer it if the hitbox was always tall since it would help my routes work a lot better.

Also fwiw the barrel will still travel the length that was set to whether it hits or not but it hitting is what would make routes work a bit better.

Reactions: Xyned
Good note, I'll see about adjusting that sometime soon.
YTMND, I owe you a beer or something at ceotaku.

(She doesn't need it, just felt like sharing)
I did try it actually or at least thought about it as an idea when we were first making the move. The timing for launching it off with the right angle is very tricky though since the velocity it flies at when you cancel changes more or less every frame based on the arc, and was already shaping up to be very, very good normal, so didn't really need it of course as you can imagine.

Personally I'd prefer it if the hitbox was always tall since it would help my routes work a lot better.
I think something a bit odd is going on here, I can look into this and speak with QA about logging an issue for it.

Sorry another double post, I was messing around with Barrel DHCs and noticed that MK+HK Barrel super seems to have a different initial hitbox compared to the ones. Was that intentional?

For reference:
MK+HK Barrel First Hitbox

The other combinations for Barrel super

Also fwiw the barrel will still travel the length that was set to whether it hits or not but it hitting is what would make routes work a bit better.
Got this logged, thank you for the report!

Reactions: Stuff