• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Blazblue

Now that you guys have BBCP, we should get on that with a lobby.

My scrubby Valkenhayn shall destroy you all.

Kagura is getting 2 frames faster pokes... I'm not sure that will buff him much,the recovery buff is nice but I tend to cancel them all the time anyway. The big buff is the stance speed up (he loses his fast fall mixups though to compensate =( )

Like I said, the true strength of the buffs is in neutral. Sure you can cancel 5C and 2C on block but if you whiff the normal entirely, then your opponent has 26f and 33f respectively to punish you in the current version. With 23f of recovery post patch, it's going to be harder to punish them on whiff if you space them well.

Anybody else notice that Kokonoe and the rest of the BB DLC was added to PSN last night for some reason? I ended up playing all night.

And they're selling the old stages and OST as add ons. Those motherfuckers....

And they're selling the old stages and OST as add ons. Those motherfuckers....
they KNOW we need our hype dog and are willing to pay up the nose to get it.

those diabolical

Kokonoe is $8

Also announcer packs for EVERY character available for $6 each, or all 28 for $50. Likeeeeeeee

full game is like over 100 bucks then?

capcom is teaching this kids eh?

Does it matter?
Does it really matter?
The only really outstanding peice of DLC is Terumi and Kokonoe.
And maybe Classic Noel
Aside from that you don't need the other stuff.

I'm not going to lie, there are like five announcers I'm willing to buy.

FINALLY!

My limited edition of the game has arrived today! Let's admire the art book and assemble little Rachel.

Rachel, you shitty vampire! Why the hell did your left bow have to just fall off like that right as I'm putting your pigtail in your freakin' skull?!? Mrgrgrgr... oh well, I finally managed to put her together after gluing the stupid bow back on and I just finished the little extra stories in Extend. Time to pop in the game!

FINALLY!

My limited edition of the game has arrived today! Let's admire the art book and assemble little Rachel.

Rachel, you shitty vampire! Why the hell did your left bow have to just fall off like that right as I'm putting your pigtail in your freakin' skull?!? Mrgrgrgr... oh well, I finally managed to put her together after gluing the stupid bow back on and I just finished the little extra stories in Extend. Time to pop in the game!
oh my god... I have a Rachel with a really shoddily put together left bow as well....

also, is the CD garbage for you as well?

oh my god... I have a Rachel with a really shoddily put together left bow as well....

also, is the CD garbage for you as well?

Oh yeah, I need to check it. I remember you guys saying that it isn't working too well. Gimme a few minutes to check.

EDIT: Well poop. I opened up Windows Media Player and it can play the songs, but when I click the disc icon to go select stuff/rip the music, it says there isn't music on the disc; clearly not the truth because I listened to the opening track and Bang's theme. Opened up iTunes and the disc didn't even register.

So yeah, the disc is pretty much garbage. Anyone think they'll do what Atlus did with the Strange Journey discs and let us replace the bad discs for good ones? It's wishful thinking but hey, it's possible.

Last edited:
I hope so. if we get rachels with bad bows and bad CDs, we should at least get some recompence for our purchase. seriously, Atlus can give us soundtracks in space but Arc can't?

Sounds like they don't wan't people copying the disc's content. The bad Rachel figure just seems bad on their part.

I can kind of see the logic behind that (though the situation would still piss me off), but I looked back at earlier posts here and it seems like the CD won't play on regular CD players. Either we're all in the minority that somehow got defective discs or they're all just defective period.

Just gonna chime in and say that I got a "good" disk. Didn't have any problems with it whatsoever, though I haven't tried it on a CD player (seriously who uses those anymore right :p)
That doesn't really answer if you guys are in the minority, or if good disks are the actual minority. But I thought I'd at least make it known that not all CD's are garbage.

I didn't get the LE since they were sold out when I had money, so I can't say for myself, but I have a friend that did so I'll ask him if his is defective. That don't sound a bit fishy.

Good to see at least somebody has a working CD. Even though I suggested it, I do think it would be kind of ridiculous for every disc to be defective. If that were the case, I think we would have heard something about disc replacements.

regardless, I did send tweets to both Arc and Aksys about the problems with the CDs.

I'm still having a character crisis with this game... Wont get it till at least tomorrow... but have been studying up,on it via vids and stuff and i just dont like many of the fighting styles plus i think sg may have seriously spoiled me with characters that dont have huge glaring strategic flaws.

My problems:

Arakune

Dont like how weak he is pre curse, dont like how strong he is after curse, but by far my favorite character aesthetically, he is my old "main" but i got pretty bored with his pre curse play back in the og BB days... And his curse was a helluva lot better there... Though thankfully it seems that nu got super nerfed as well.

The new "nu" aka the one with the sword

As far as playstyles go she is my favorite character from watching vids... Problem? I hate her aesthetics. One of the worst fighting game characters ive ever seen... Imho. Not willing to argue that point with anyone cause beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but i cant really see myself using such a personal eyesore for a long period of time... Such as 50 game sets, or 3 hour long training mode marathons... Etc etc etc

Valkenhayne

Tried him in old BB, his execution seemed to be a real headache for me... Not just the combos but wolfform switching at neutral as well... Dont know if i will like him this time around. Love his aesthetics though.

Ragna

Its ragna... Ive only started to look at him because of my disillusionment with most of the other characters.

Platinum

... Her playstyle looks kinda cool... Lots of stuff going on... I like that. Her aesthetics seem a little embarrassing to use for me personally since shes a little girl giggling all over the place..l but really its..l THAT VOICE... Omg... One of the most annoying things ive heard in awhile... She never shuts up...like bang but not manly and 10 times as annoying.

Using her would give me a headache i think... Sigh. If only she was an adult woman that didnt talk as much... I guess this is every mans dilemma though.

Whip chick (forget her name...basically dhalsim in a dress with long flowing robes)

One of the things ive sighted in BB as being a near must have for me is range. This chick has it in spades but is nowhere near as aesthetically bad as nu... But she looks terrible up close from the vids ive watched... I dont like characters with HUGE glaring weaknesses. Though i do think shes the character that i will be really experimenting with the most to see if she fits my playstyle... I have a semi decent sim on sf4 so... Maybe she will.

My question is... What other characters should i look at? I want range, mixups, defense and good movement options...

I dont mind if i cant get all those things on one character, but having as many of those as possible is better. The ones i need the least are strong defensive options and good movement... The ones i want most are good range and good mixups.

I was looking at relius... Seems like he could be a contender... Am i on the right track for what I'm looking for?

Tl:dr

Character crisis yo :(

characters that dont have huge glaring strategic flaws.
Good luck, characters in Blazblue are designed to be highly flawed. Except Kokonoe.

EDIT: Valkenhayn is much harder now than he has ever been and is about to get the ASW treatment in BBCP1.1

What do you want in a character?

The characters you mentioned seem pretty different to what I glean about your playstyle in SG, they are both zoning characters (in the actual sense) that have certain places they love to be and many they hate.

Good luck, characters in Blazblue are designed to be highly flawed. Except Kokonoe.

Yeah, i think im getting that... It seems like every character has some huge flaw... Seems like a super shitty way to design a game... But I'm willing to still try it. My problem is that i dont know what most of the inherent flaws are versus the perceived flaws. Id be willing to play a character that has flaws that i personally can make up for (or try to make up for) via skill. Imho that would be weak defense characters that have good movement options and mixups/damage to make up for it. this is the type of character that i generally play anyway (ibuki/chun on sf4 painwheel on skullgirls) so maybe taokaka? Or perhaps relius?

One thing ive noticed is that high priority is very good for my playstyle (go figure). :(. I tend to perform much better with high priority characters even given less experience with them...

At this rate im almsot willing to consider Jin or ragna since they both seem to embody what i tend to gravitate towards... To a certain extent.

Just want to hear any other characters out there that i may be sleeping on or not know enough about. Hazama looks good for a sec... Has movement, priority, and huge range... But wiffing is so detrimental for him... Not a good look for me. I can play without wiffing for sure... But i need other things to fall back on and it doesnt look like he really does.

Sigh...

-edit

What are jins and ragnas designed flaws?

Yeah, i think im getting that... It seems like every character has some huge flaw... Seems like a super shitty way to design a game... But I'm willing to still try it. My problem is that i dont know what most of the inherent flaws are versus the perceived flaws. Id be willing to play a character that has flaws that i personally can make up for (or try to make up for) via skill. Imho that would be weak defense characters that have good movement options and mixups/damage to make up for it. this is the type of character that i generally play anyway (ibuki/chun on sf4 painwheel on skullgirls) so maybe taokaka? Or perhaps relius?

One thing ive noticed is that high priority is very good for my playstyle (go figure). :(. I tend to perform much better with high priority characters even given less experience with them...

At this rate im almsot willing to consider Jin or ragna since they both seem to embody what i tend to gravitate towards... To a certain extent.

Just want to hear any other characters out there that i may be sleeping on or not know enough about. Hazama looks good for a sec... Has movement, priority, and huge range... But wiffing is so detrimental for him... Not a good look for me. I can play without wiffing for sure... But i need other things to fall back on and it doesnt look like he really does.

Sigh...

-edit

What are jins and ragnas designed flaws?

Taokaka, Valk, Rachael, Hazama would fit that pretty well, they all have absurd mobility and absurd mixups.

Jin and Ragna are a bit more "balanced" I guess. Ragna is more of a poking/frame trap kinda character though. Jin has an answer for most things though he isn't super amazing at anything at neutral, then he gets in and his pressure is just DUMB, his mixup without meter leaves something to be desired though.

Relius has infinite blockstrings at the expense of doll meter that he can do (weak) mixups during and in general struggles on defense although relius twirl is good when used properly.

Reactions: Dime
Tao haven't great mixup ability due lack of good overheads, but she got a really crazy mobility that allow her to get behind opponent very easy. She is more like poke/hit and run character.
I think you can try Makoto and Noel. They're both good in mixups, Makoto can a lot of stuff to catch offguard, and Noel had crazy combo and dodging abilities (but she is screaming very loud).

Also Nu is not new, she is old :PUN:

Last edited:
Tao's combos are pretty input heavy, so take that into consideration. And most of the time, dodging is a better option than blocking. She lacks a good reversal so it's best to avoid getting on defense. You can also try the games challenge mode to get a feel for the characters.

Some stuff in response to DimeX's posts in search of a character to play.

Ragna is a very well rounded character. Good pressure and mixup, good footsie tools, one of the best defensive options in the game and good damage. Easy to pick up and play. But he'll only go as far as your own fighting game fundamentals will take him. If your fundamentals are weak, don't expect to go anywhere with this character.

Jin is also mostly well rounded. Good footsie tools, good defensive options, an effective zoning tool from his ice projectiles, has one of the most practical overdrives in the game and easy to pick and play. Also worth noting is that he's somewhat of an EX moves character in the sense that he can spend 25 meter to enhance some of his moves. But his overall pressure is weak without meter. His standing overhead doesn't lead into anything even on hit without 50 meter to Rapid Cancel and his other good overhead option TK Hizangeki requires 25 meter. Some Jins try to make up for this by doing resets off freezes.

Taokaka has great movement and great pressure to go along with it. She doesn't have a strong high-low mixup game but she has so many options that a lot of her unsafe stuff becomes safe because you're afraid to push a button and get framed trapped. So often times you don't want to do anything but at the same time because she has moves she can throw in to leave her + on block and ways to stay on top of you, you eventually have to do something and it has to be done at the right time. Truly annoying character to have to deal with once she's in. *is hella salty about this character* Notable weaknesses include low health and poor defensive options. Execution is also demanding from what I've heard.

Valkenhayn actually sounds like he'd be perfect for you. It's a shame that you are having execution issues, though I hear he's demanding in this area as well. His movement is limited outside of wolf form but in wolf form, he probably easily has the best movement options in the game. In wolf form, his walk speed is pretty good so you can do stuff like walk forward, then walk back to bait pokes and punish. His numerous movement options and the speed of them makes getting in on any opponent easy whether they are rushdown or zoning oriented once you've mastered his movement. Once Valkenhayn gets in, true despair begins. His 50/50 mixups are insane in wolf form and he also has a command grab that refills his wolf meter and can be converted into a full combo in the corner.

Prior to the 1.1 patch, Valkenhayn has 2 theoretical weaknesses that are in the end aren't noteworthy weaknesses and then 1 real weakness. His first theoretical weakness is that he can not block in wolf form. The biggest reason this isn't a big deal is because his movement options and their speed more than make up for it in a lot of cases, even dealing with zoning. It mostly only comes into play with wakeup reversals but he has his ways of dealing with those as well. His 2nd theoretical wekaness is that he can only do wolf shenanigans for as long as he's got wolf meter to do so. Unfortunately, even a short combo gotten from a jA starter is enough to give him back enough meter to start his vortex up again as soon as the combo is over. This might change in the 1.1 patch due to his changes. Too early to say. And finally, he has the real weakness that he doesn't have any good defensive options.

Whiffing a chain with Hazama isn't quite as bad as you think because he can still pull himself in, even if the chain whiffs and there are different ways to pull yourself in but his ability to do this is limited. I'm not too well versed on Hazama unfortunately so I can't go into much detail with this one.

Relius is a pretty solid character. He's got good ranged options with Ignis. Though, he really shines in pressure with Ignis backing him up. As Tomo implied, he can force you to block for as long as his Ignis meter will let him. He's got good mixups as well. While Ignis is forcing you to block, he can do stuff like dash forward standing overhead or a low. He can jump forward and either go for jB or do an empty jump 2B. Really good Relius players will do low to the ground air dash jB to make it even more ambiguous which one they're going for. If they see you're getting too comfortable, they can go for an unblockable setup. He's got some decent defensive options with led lay and his reversal gears super. But he can't get much done without Ignis.

That's it. For more info, I'd recommend looking at their Dustloop wiki pages and maybe asking a few questions in the "Picking a Main" thread.

Reactions: Dime and Tomo009
Whip chick (forget her name...basically dhalsim in a dress with long flowing robes)

lol. believe it or not dude, Amane Nishiki s a guy. I only found out myself from the tutorial mode when it says 'his'

lol. believe it or not dude, Amane Nishiki s a guy. I only found out myself from the tutorial mode when it says 'his'

Well he does sound like a dude as well. At least in the English voice track. When i saw his vs screen portrait I said "She looks kinda like a man." And then I heard his voice and said "Ah. Thats why she looks like a man."

Well he does sound like a dude as well. At least in the English voice track. When i saw his vs screen portrait I said "She looks kinda like a man." And then I heard his voice and said "Ah. Thats why she looks like a man."
POISON IS SPREADING

POISON IS SPREADING
its not really so much as poison as it it breaking gender boundaries. I mean his physique is very much like a thin man.

Yeah man, i realized this after a bit of research on "him" ... Fucking asw/whoever dev with their weird shit. Bridget was one of my favorite characters in gg. Imagine my surprise when i found out "she" was a "he" despite the fact that he looks and sounds like a girl.

Why these people feel the need to do this kind of thing is beyond me. Its like they put a playable dog in the game and people use the mutt... But then they say "hey guys, we know he looks like a dog, barks like a dog, digs holes and eats bones like a dog... But he's actually a cat... Haha go figure, but its true :) hee hee"

I'm just like... Wtf with these weirdos...

Bridget's reason is legitimately explained. Amane's a new character so maybe they'll explain that later.

I love how we're complaining with the androgynous character and not the boob-obsessed loli that's in love with a cat warrior over 100 years old and three souls trapped in her body that's my main. You guys should really try out Plat, she's fun as hell to play.

Reactions: dreymore
PLat is fun to play.

and ever since watching Jellifish Princess, I see Amane just wants to look good. I see nothing wrong with him. He'll never be as fabulous as Fire Emblem from T&B

He is fun to play and I like the idea of the drill attacks. Bullet is hard to play as. its a shame I'm awful with everyone in BB except for Tager and Azrael.

Heart Car spam for dayzzzzz

Reactions: Arcana
Yeah man, i realized this after a bit of research on "him" ... Fucking asw/whoever dev with their weird shit. Bridget was one of my favorite characters in gg. Imagine my surprise when i found out "she" was a "he" despite the fact that he looks and sounds like a girl.

Why these people feel the need to do this kind of thing is beyond me. Its like they put a playable dog in the game and people use the mutt... But then they say "hey guys, we know he looks like a dog, barks like a dog, digs holes and eats bones like a dog... But he's actually a cat... Haha go figure, but its true :) hee hee"

I'm just like... Wtf with these weirdos...

In the plot he's searching for Carl b/c he wants Carl to be part of his "dancing troupe" .... There's no real reason to think Carl would be an exceptionally good dancer so I'm guessing its a suggestion he wants Carl for other purposes. Naturally the unnecessary gender bender character is also stereotyped as a pedophile. Thanks Mori