• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Cerebella General

So question, do people ever attempt to use sMK as a reversal against low attacks? I know Bella's profile during it allows her to avoid some lows, but I've never really tried/remembered in match to use it nor have I seen anyone use it that way.

So question, do people ever attempt to use sMK as a reversal against low attacks? I know Bella's profile during it allows her to avoid some lows, but I've never really tried/remembered in match to use it nor have I seen anyone use it that way.
I think it comes out too slowly for it to be a reversal. It would just get stuffed.

same thing for s.hk.
The first frames are still vulnerabe to lows, so you can't reversal with it.

I've never used s.mk as a reversal to try and avoid lows. It's startup doesn't go over them, which would be one thing, but it doesn't. It'd actually be kinda funny if she was considered airborne for s.mk and s.hk and avoided grabs. Anyway, I sometimes use s.mk (and rarely s.hk) as a poke if I think they're going to c.lk me. I've never had outstanding success though.

Also, since I actually forgot about @IsaVulpes' post until just now, I read through it all. Most of the mistakes are simply things that used to be true but aren't (Bella having the only launcher that pulled towards the user, Kanchou/Pummel Horse being hard), things that were thought to be true (US after PH was thought to be real for a while), or things I didn't know about and forgot to add (Horns into US).

As far as c.hp AA, that move has actually helped me out in the PW matchup, since it hits almost as far and wide as Excellebella but it doesn't leave me completely open if it misses, and I've also used it against Eliza and Val (basically, characters that stay up and away from me). s.mp and s.hp AA's, I didn't think were good at the time of writing and forgot to add them in. I actually still have a hard time really using s.hp in matches, but I know s.hp, runstop is a technique that I should learn.

About her having the easiest combos, j.lp, j.hp is the easiest link for me, and I use a pad. My theory is that it's from years of beam clashes with DBZ games, but I've never had any issues getting all my j.lps and the j.hp (I picked it up instantly, and honestly didn't understand it was a hard link until other people repeatedly had trouble). Anyway, I am currently making the video guide, so I'll save these edits for that.

But, actually, you're wrong on one of your points, about j.lp not connecting after MGR, c.lk, c.hp, and after c.mk. You have to dash after MGR (which I do all the time anyway(Edit: Actually, you don't even have to dash. probably character specific.)), and c.mk you have to just pause a moment.

And about getting grabbed out of Grab Bag:

Also, about command grab scaling (which has changed slightly since I wrote that, Excellebella used to be 35%): MGR/DDrop=55%, US/Excellebella=50%, PH=45%. And actually, it's almost never going to help you, but Grab Bag doesn't actually scale at all.

Last edited:
Dash sHP is good every once in a while for hitting someone out of the air. Not good for combos but making the opponent be a little more cautious about coming within range.

That's one way that'll also catch SSJ if they throw it out, something just deflecting the earthquake won't do.

That's one way that'll also catch SSJ if they throw it out, something just deflecting the earthquake won't do.
uh, if you were able to deflect the shockwave, that means you were way far enough for you to be able to cancel deflector with 360 in reaction to the SSJ flash...

uh, if you were able to deflect the shockwave, that means you were way far enough for you to be able to cancel deflector with 360 in reaction to the SSJ flash...
Yeah. I was assuming you were at the same distance as the video.

Quick question I guess - was there ever an Excelabella / Ultimate Showstopper option select in the game and was it removed after the Slightly Different Edition patch?

Yes
Great! Uhh... how exactly did they fix it? Was it decreasing the super cancel window? @Mike_Z ?

Edit: The reason I'm asking is because James Chen is kind of interested in how Mike deals with any option selects found in Skullgirls

Cerebella used to be able to super cancel excellebella in vanilla SG but now it is no longer super cancelable after the hitgrab becomes active.

Reactions: erkicman and Kai
Cerebella used to be able to super cancel excellebella in vanilla SG but now it is no longer super cancelable after the hitgrab becomes active.
so to answer your question, he does it case by case basis lol
Thanks!

so to answer your question, he does it case by case basis lol
Only for specific things like near inescapable setups like Excellebella OS USS.
All SF4 style OSs are taken take of by how chains and cancels work in the game systems as well as not specifically adding things like crouch teching or Marvel 3/GG style throw OSs, which the other games mentioned did.

@erkicman (HOT DAMN YOUR NAME IS SO HARD TO SPELL FOR ME)
@b0nk
@James Chen (lawl)

"case by case basis" is not quite right, it's more like "this was my first game so I am discovering rules, but they do become set rules after discovery."

You used to be able to supercancel Excellabella after it became active, which led to "just do Excella -> 360, if Excella hits you don't get a 360 otherwise they are grounded and you do".
Now the super cancel period ends before the active frames, so there is no more OS because you will only ever be able to do one active hit (antiair or ground).
This became a rule that was applied from then on (and retroactively) to the startup of all command grabs, as well as all moves which start some sort of canned action after connecting, because the supercancel period in that case is there in case you messed up a super motion slightly and got the first few frames of the special. As opposed to letting you cancel it on block or whiff.

Some rules I already had, like there haven't been crouch-techs since Vanilla SG.
Other rules came later like how to handle armor cancels, macro OS's, etc.
Another example of how I would eliminate an OS, not for SG:
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...d-one-japanese-players-usf4-lectures/#c783045

Handling OS's is mostly about deciding what you really want to happen in a given situation, and whether you are willing to accept the consequences. Most of it is pretty easy otherwise.

Last edited:
Edit: The reason I'm asking is because James Chen is kind of interested in how Mike deals with any option selects found in Skullgirls

James Chen thinking that this was still in the game is part of the perception problem that the game has to a lot of others in the FGC. The game has changed significantly since vanilla, and even beyond that there are still tons of changes just from each character patch. Honestly, most characters in the beta have just as much as individual characters in USF4 (some even more), and it's hard to argue that stuff like the Upback changes aren't significant system-wide changes either. Yeah USF4 has almost ~4x the characters...but SG probably already has less than 1/4th size dev team to SF4 already. I just feel like that's a note that Mike should bring up if/when he goes on a Ultrachen show to help them size up how significant the Beowulf patch will be, while showing people how the game is different from vanilla.

Only works on Filia, Fukua and Squigly AFAIK.
Doubles down on gimmick against Squigly.

[EDIT] Upon further testing, I've realised that to make this work on other characters you simply need to walk forwards a bit after the kanchou to bring yourself closer to your opponent when they drop, thus making the cHP hitbox spawn behind them when you throw it out. This, combined with adjusting the timing for the sLK will make this near universal (The characters I wasn't able to perform this on were Big Band, Ms Fortune and Parasoul, though that may just be a case of me just being bad).

I honestly wouldn't recommend bothering with this on characters other than Squigly/Fukua/Filia as the Kanchou places you in the perfect position and the timing on the sLK is dead simple, when trying against other characters, you're much more likely to space it wrong and have the cHP connect.

Last edited:
I call it tech, but maybe I'm weird.

Is there a Diamond Drop setup?

Is there a Diamond Drop setup?
Corner : c.lk c.mk s.hk (whiff) diamond drop.
Though your question could use some precision...

technically any time bella is up in the opponent's face is a diamond drop setup. Blockstring/combo/whatever they will fear the diamond drop.

Bella f.HP safejumps

You are in the corner and have preserved OTG. f.HP sets up easily usable safejumps.

----

Rofort, Beowulf, Big Band, Bella:

f.HP xx qcb Throw, jump jump j.HK

Double, Painwheel, Val, Squiggly:

f.HP xx qcb throw, jump jump j.MK

Filia, Fukua, Eliza

f.HP xx 623LP, jump jump j.HK

Fortune:

f.HP xx 623 throw, jump jump j.HK

Peacock:

f.HP xx qcf throw, M Dp, jump j.HK

Parasoul:

f.HP xx qcb throw qcb throw, jumpforward j.HK

----

Blue knockdown, opponent forward techs safejumps

Explanation: You are in the corner and have already used your OTG, and want a safejump of some kind. If they forward tech, this setup safejumps them. Against some characters you can get a mixup. AGainst some characters you can do forward tech safejump and if they don't tech jumpforward j.HK safejump anyway.

This is not comprehensive vs every character because I am lazy and don't play against every character all the time and finding the setups take some time. Someone else finish it fuk

Fortune

c.HP jumpback j.LK j.HP, jumpback j.HK. If no tech, jumpforward j.MP safejumps.

c.HK Jumpback j.HK.

Filia, Fukua

c.HP jumpback j.LK j.HP, jumpback j.HK safejumps.

Rofort

c.HP jumpback j.LP j.HP. jumpback j.HK.

Eliza

c.HP nj.LK j.MK j.HK jumpback, j.HK crossup j.LK same side, both safejumps.

c.HK Jumpback j.HK. If no tech, jumpforward j.HK safejumps level 3.

Double

c.HP nj.LP j.HP, jumpback j.HK.

c.LK s.MK c.HK jumpback j.HK. If no tech, jumpforward j.HK safejumps.

Beowulf

c.HP jumpback j.LP j.HP, jumpback j.MK

I'm not sure I understand. So for peacock, are you whiffing m DP and then jumping for timing purposes?
When you say you are in the corner, is your back to the corner or are you facing the corner?
Is the jump jump a double jump or is each one a separate jump? And safe to assume not superjumps, otherwise you would have written that, right?

I'm not sure I understand. So for peacock, are you whiffing m DP and then jumping for timing purposes?

Yes, all the whiffs and cancels are for timing purposes.

is your back to the corner or are you facing the corner?

You are facing the corner, your opponent is cornered.

Is the jump jump a double jump or is each one a separate jump? And safe to assume not superjumps, otherwise you would have written that, right?

Two jumps, like just hold upforward. Yeah, I would've written superjump if I meant superjump.

Bonus: vs Big band in corner, c.HK then he techs forward, you superjump backwards j.HK and it avoids reversal SSJ and can be done left/right. "Safejumping" reversal SSJ is a matter of being vertically ontop of your opponent since it has no interior hitboxes to hit you with. H Extend still works though.

I found earlier that beta deflector is also a good way to time that kind of safe jumps.
Also, jumping forward, jumping neutral, using j.mk or different aerial moves will make your timing change slightly, so it's easy to create a perfect safe jump for every character out of a corner titan knuckle.

That's, uh, what I already did and posted.

It seems I didn't read your post carefully enough then. Sorry.

How long has s.HK(1), grab been a thing? I find a lot of random stuff but I assume they have already been found. If not, just like to not that you can delay cancle s.HK(1) into a command grab. Probably a really good mixup with lock down assist and run stuff.

Are there any resets for Bella?

how fast you can kill one character??
Me-ouch. What do you think this is, Story Mode?

Reactions: Wenzel