• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Controller/Stick General Questions and Discussion

by sega layout i mean gamepad with 6 buttons on the front, like sega genesis.

For me it's more natural, when i have macros on one side (L1 L2).
And i can faster push buttons (because index finger is always in position to HP HK, and with thumb i only have to worry abut 4 buttons).
Also, i use a lot of right analogue macros.

I don't know, that makes sense?

In that case maybe you try get your hands on a

PSX SCPH-1080(First playstation pad ever)

1024px-PSX-Original-Controller.jpg

Why i do i suggest this one? Well you have 4 shoulder buttons instead of 2 shoulder and 2 triggers. Triggers when playing a fighting game would annoy the hell out of me personally. Then again i'm used to 6 button frontplate. If you had a sega d-pad in there it would be the perfect tool. Maybe....

How to position your fingers on a (laptop built-in) keyboard? I can't find my normal controller anywhere right now so I can only use that. I find myself using my pointer finger for everything and its not working out so well.

First things first - how big is the laptop? The answer will be different if you're using a 17" widescreen versus a 9" netbook.

I can't exactly say how big it is, but here's a picture of it:

An HP Notebook 2000
B008A4X5EG-1.jpg

replace-laptop-screen-01.jpg

I also have an SIIG keyboard
1013904112.jpg

I don't play keyboard, but few times when i did, it was in the hitboxish setup:
asd...........456
.....space...123

where:
a - left
s - down
d - right
space - up

Numpad for punches and kicks. I used numpad because i was my alphabetical part of my laptop was to small and irregular.
Maybe try that? Shame that your laptop does not have numpad, but you can try with that keyboard of yours, maybe i will work for you.

I found that on the Xbox 360 that if you have multiple controllers connected, Skullgirls will only recognize controller number 1 and ignore all other controllers. This is very annoying since if my controllers do not boot up in the correct order I have to restart my Xbox 360 with the controllers in the proper order so I can play the game easier with my Street Fighter gamepad. Please make the game recognize multiple controllers.

Guys, i think i saw perfect pad for me.
Hori Gem Pad.
Tacky design, without analogue triggers, DualShock layout. Perfect.

Any experience with that GEM OF A PAD (BOOM PUN INTENDED)?

Help please! I have a eight arc stick and my down input is dying it's hardly responsive and at times it dies completely, all other directions are fine besides the downward ones , I tried opening it up to see what's wrong and for the most part it looks fine and when I input down from the inside it works fine. It even starts working like normal when I put it back together but then it starts acting up again during gameplay, if anyone knows how to fix this I will be forever grateful.

Help please! I have a eight arc stick and my down input is dying it's hardly responsive and at times it dies completely, all other directions are fine besides the downward ones , I tried opening it up to see what's wrong and for the most part it looks fine and when I input down from the inside it works fine. It even starts working like normal when I put it back together but then it starts acting up again during gameplay, if anyone knows how to fix this I will be forever grateful.
What exactly is wrong with the down input? Do you have to push the stick further/harder, does it work normally sometimes but not others, or something else?

What exactly is wrong with the down input? Do you have to push the stick further/harder, does it work normally sometimes but not others, or something else?
It's just inconsistent for the most part it's dead but if I do mash down enough it'll start to work but quarter circles don't work and if I tried to down back the character will just walk backwards instead of blocking same thing with down forward

It's possible if eightarcs use a knockoff JLF (I don't know whether they do or not) that the switches aren't actually soldered to the pcb. Madcatz SE sticks with knockoff JLFs are only held in place by little plastic posts and the gate

Reactions: Killjoy
Is it possible to maybe use super glue instead of the solder? Or will it mess things up?

If it's the type of joystick pcb in that video (which is what regular factory JLFs use) you have to use solder because that's where the electrical connection is being made. If your stick uses a joystick PCB with switches that are wired to it by quick disconnects then you can just swap in a new microswitch with minimal extra work.

If it's a soldered switch you wouldn't be able to pull the old switch without desoldering it anyway so soldering work would be mandatory.

Yeah, it sounds like a loose connection to me, so it'd be a solder job.

A friend of mine couldn't bind anything to his right trigger on an xbox 360 controller, and resetting the default keybinds wouldn't work either. The controller was an official xbox controller, but he has got a new (albeit custom) controller and the issue still occurs. I figured this issue is too minor for a thread of its own, has anyone faced any similar problems to this?

I have two questions. First: I've been using my Xbox 360 controller so far, but I've heard from so many people that the PlayStation 3 controller is way better for fighting games. The problem is that I've tried to find some way to make my PlayStation 3 controller work, but I haven't heard any way other than using MotionInJoy, which I refuse to use since so many people seem to have the adware from MotionInJoy destroy their computers. Is that really the only way to use a PS3 controller on PC? My second question is: I'm really bad at fighting games, but I want to get better. I know that really good people use fightsticks instead of controllers. Do fightsticks really give you that competitive edge over controllers? Or can you get just as good with a controller? And also, since I don't really play fighting games that often, would it even be worth getting a fightstick?

Try this instead of MotionInJoy.

As for pad vs stick, its a matter of personal preference. If it tells you anything, 3 out of the top 4 at GUTS 3 a few weeks ago were pad players.

Try this instead of MotionInJoy.

As for pad vs stick, its a matter of personal preference. If it tells you anything, 3 out of the top 4 at GUTS 3 a few weeks ago were pad players.

That actually worked. Holy crap. This is a good day, indeed! Thanks, friend.
And yes, that actually does make me feel better. Maybe later on, if I feel like I'm good enough to deserve a fightstick, we'll see how I feel. :P

I am playign on a PS3 and will flatout refuse to buy extra fighting controllers. I'll get back to that when I gopt a year or so of FGC experience on my back, for now, a dualshock is enough, and I really don't see that a fightpad or arcade stick could be that much better.

The only thing I observed is that I frequently fumble even a simple Quarter-Circle, and can see an arcade stick or a Fioghtpad with a heavy DStick to be a bit safer, but I figure this will go away in time and practice with the Dualshock just as well. ^_^

There's nothing wrong with that at all! It really does boil down to what you're most comfortable with.

( nice birthday :P )

Reactions: Noogie
I just got Hori Gem Pad.
Awesome. D-pad is great, buttons and triggers are digital (i mean, like DS2), analogs are bit shitty (they have no rubber coating, but control quality is ok, and you can adjust toughness) but i don't mind. I got ps3 version because i like that layout more (don't like 360, and sega genesis layout at all), and it works great on PC. Also its light due to lack of rumble engine. And it SHINES WITH A LIGHT SHINING.

I like the idea of gamepad stripped of cool stuff, and being just a good pad. It you are looking for DS3 alternative - give Hori a shot.

Reactions: Ravendeth
Do you mean how the board is set up? I mean, if it' like all the other RAP sticks, it's all sanwa parts, so you shouldn't really have to do swaps

Reactions: Wenzel
Do you mean how the board is set up? I mean, if it' like all the other RAP sticks, it's all sanwa parts, so you shouldn't really have to do swaps
My bad, in looking for a design art template to change the art when a get it, but thanks for the info!

(For PC Only, as far as I know)
For anyone on the super broke end, who is simply looking for something functional that will last: for the past few years I've been using these generic "ps1/ps2 controller to usb adapter" you can find for about $5.00 online.
8pcs-2-Port-Dual-USB-Game-Converter-Adapter-for-Sony-font-b-PS2-b-font-font.jpg
Old Playstation controllers for these are everywhere, and a lot of people have them already. They also tend to sit around in local thrift stores or online for 5-10$. afaik it's about as cheap as you can get a sturdy, long-lasting, fully functional controller for. Especially for one with an analog stick(s) and enough buttons for playing anything.

The main downside is that more and more PC games these days only recognize xbox360 controllers (Skullgirls is not one of these thankfully). I get around this problem using TocaEdit, personally. This adapter tends to register as a basic USB controller. Rarely you will also get random haunted analog inputs for 2P's controller when nothing is plugged in there.

I used to buy PC logitech joypads, but I was finding that with heavy use, they were always dying on me after a year or two (went through about eight different models in the past 10 years until I swore them off completely).

And yeah this setup is ghetto, no you won't become Luffy (you can pretend though), and the dpad is slightly harsh, but it's better than keyboard. Personally I think it's better than trying to fit buttons on a snes pad or something, or having to use a 360 pad.

Disclaimer: You tend to get what you pay for. Most should consider this a last resort.

Last edited:
sounds like it would introduce massive Input Delay
This is a fair concern. It may be best to consider my method a last resort as such. I'll go back and add a warning, or take it down if people want. That Hori Gem pad that @Nonckiewicz was talking about looks pretty good to me.

I would actually be glad and willing to provide some objective data on input latency, if I knew of a method to do so. I'm not a guy who fools with wiring, and I could not find any useful data, tools, or reviews online.

I am on the slow end of players to begin with. All I've really got is "this worked better for me than a keyboard or Logitech gamepads". I didn't really notice any delay personally, compared to my console controller experience.

Last edited:
Anyone had any experience with a Qanba Q1 fightstick? I'm considering trying it as my first fightstick, to see if I like them better than a keyboard, but wanted to get some opinions before I dropped $70 for it.

http://www.eightarc.com/qanba-q1-xbox360/

Anyone had any experience with a Qanba Q1 fightstick? I'm considering trying it as my first fightstick, to see if I like them better than a keyboard, but wanted to get some opinions before I dropped $70 for it.

http://www.eightarc.com/qanba-q1-xbox360/
I have one. Stock joystick isn't too great but it does its job and is easily replaced later down the line (swapped all the buttons and stuff on mine). Cord is on the short side (only around 6 or so ft) and I don't find myself using the compartment at all. Turbo function is nice for shumps.

Reactions: KidPanda
uhh hi, i was going to make a new thread about this but then i thought better of it and decided to just ask in here if that is ok. even after looking around everywhere i still dont know what to do...

so ill just ask... is it better to buy a good quality fightstick or buy a cheaper one and change out the buttons and joystick for better parts??

some background info is that i have had skullgirls since its re-release as skullgirls encore on psn in february and i consider myself a beginner. playing on a pad is starting to get kinda difficult to me so i wanted to use this christmas as an opportunity to try and get a fightstick. the two options i asked for were the madcatz fightstick pro or the qanba q1 fightstick (i might change to asking for a q4 because it seems like it is better despite the higher price?).

but ive seen some people recommend a stick like the wwe brawlstick so you can buy sanwa or seimitsu parts and switch them out with the original brawlstick parts, and you can end up with a good stick for not as much money. i have never really done anything like modding but i have heard it isnt that hard with brawlsticks. so now i am in a dilemma because i want to make sure i ask for the right thing so that when christmas comes around i dont get something i am not satisfied with, especially since someone else is buying it for me. i think it is also important to note that i am hoping to be playing skullgirls on pc as well as ps3 after christmas...
also, a bit of a side-question, but how hard is it to change the art of a stick?? if i am going to end up modding i may as well change the art when i do it.
i think that is all i wanted to ask. sorry if this is long or someone already asked this somewhere else and this ended up being kinda useless/pointless... thanks...!

I'd just jump for a good quality stick. if you end up buying a cheap one and swap out parts. Chances are that in the end you'll just be spending the same price.

when SF4 dropped in 09 - i bought the cheaper Fightstick that was $40. I decided to upgrade the mad catz stock stick and buttons with genuine sanwa jlf stick and buttons, the stock buttons and stick would mess up easily. in the end the price was close to the 1st run TE sticks and i had some regret in not buying the TE sticks instead.

From the two that you listed. the MCZ and Q4 are pretty solid. The Q1 is fine if you're on a really tight budget.

I have two eightarc fusions (similar to the Q4) that i have already customized with different buttons and sticks, and can vouch for the solid build they have.

Reactions: sayakimi
Playstation1-to-USB-Adapter for $5 sure sounds like it would introduce massive Input Delay

I've tried a few (including an In-Pin) and just haven't found one that doesn't feel sluggish and ended up just folding and getting used to a DS4.

Still trying like hell to find out what adapter Luffy was using at Evo.

Hey, so...
Do you know good gamepads? I don't like to play SG with stick, so i think i am gonna stick (lol) to gamepad.
But my DS3 i barely alive... and i want to try something different.

I don't like "sega" gamepad layout tbh. Classic DS3 layout works alright for me.

Get a DS4. They're great if you're used to PSX/DS2/DS3 pads. The directional pad is shaped a little differently and the grip is a little different, but I can confirm that after playing on PS1 pads competitively for about 10 years, it's easy enough to adjust to it. The buttons feel much better and feel like they have a more "crisp" response than DS3/PS1. Trigger shape is also much better for HK or A2 macro inputs, and I use them constantly in Val sHK + Bomber combos.

i wonder why people use the dpad when using a controller. its so much harder to do quarter circle moves with it :/

False. It's largely a matter of preference, but I've seen enough high level tekken/mishima play on pads to know that pads are at least as good as sticks in this regard if not slightly better.

Last edited:
also the DS4 works on the PS3 iirc. at least when its plugged in via the charging cord.

also the DS4 works on the PS3 iirc. at least when its plugged in via the charging cord.

Yep. Also doesn't sync/bind to the system in any way, and is recognized without 3rd party drivers on PC.

These two made it a necessity for competitive SG play; I don't have to worry about my controller being banned in tournament play or a tourney PC not having DS3tool/XInputWrapper installed.