• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Controller/Stick General Questions and Discussion

oh okay. well i guess i'll have to draw up the case and show you guys. and PCB i have no idea where to get. I'm guessing there might be something good on like NewEgg or something.

If you're not planning to just rip the PCB out of an old stick then I'd suggest looking for a PS360+, as that works with PS3/360/PS4(kinda).

PS4 kinda? THat's actually new to me, better update my firmware.

PS360+ lags on 360 though by the way if you play on that much. Works great on PS3/PC.

PS360+ lags on 360 though by the way if you play on that much. Works great on PS3/PC.
They fixed that in a firmware update a couple months ago.

They fixed that in a firmware update a couple months ago.
Guess I need to update then don't I!

If you're not planning to just rip the PCB out of an old stick then I'd suggest looking for a PS360+, as that works with PS3/360/PS4(kinda).
don't really have an old stick persay... I have the stick, and the buttons which came off of an arcade cabinet but not the board itself.

Yeah then I'd suggest either a PS360+ or perhaps buying a secondhand stick for whatever platform you are going to use the stick on snd just tearing the board out of that (may work out cheaper to do that, but you don't get the dual/tri mod capability of the PS360+).

Is that with lamination included, or without? Either way, it's nicely cheap. Thanks.
In that example I didn't need lamination since the art was going under a plexi. For a previous stick I need artwork lami-labeled (lamination with adhesive that basically turns the art into a big sticker) That didn't require as heavy a paper stock so it worked out to something like $5 or $6 each.

Also, yeah, PS360+s are pretty sweet. I use one and have the appropriate cables so I can run PS3/360/PC as well as PS1/2 and Dreamcast. The only issue it has at the moment is that for some reason it doesn't work my PS2 Classics download of CVS2. Come to think of it, I haven't tested it with any of the PS1 SF Alpha downloads I have.

In that example I didn't need lamination since the art was going under a plexi. For a previous stick I need artwork lami-labeled (lamination with adhesive that basically turns the art into a big sticker) That didn't require as heavy a paper stock so it worked out to something like $5 or $6 each.
Ahh, perfect, thank you. I was planning on getting lami-label, but I can't find it on their website, and I wanted to order it online. Is this something only in stores? I'm probably just being really stupid.
So this should be it; what am I going to do about the template? I thought I could use Art's Hobbies' V3/VX Kai one, because looking at the V3 and V4 Kai's little front plate I don't know what it is called They seemed similar, and I wasn't sure how different the little front plates are between models, but apparently the distance between the stick and the buttons are larger on the V4 Kai.
So here's my question; I don't really feel like waiting for someone to make a template for my stick, so here's what I was wondering. Do the little front plates change in difference much? Could I just use the V3/VX Kai template, erase the button holes on the template, and cut the buttons out myself, to align with the extra space on the V4 Kai?
If not, would I just need to measure the size of the little face plate and make an image that large, and put my art on there?

Ahh, perfect, thank you. I was planning on getting lami-label, but I can't find it on their website, and I wanted to order it online. Is this something only in stores? I'm probably just being really stupid.
That I'm not sure of. I live about 4 miles from a FedEx Office, and its near some places I go frequently anyway, so I just dropped in one day and asked. Its been a few years, and I think they might have a different name for it there. Not sure.

That I'm not sure of. I live about 4 miles from a FedEx Office, and its near some places I go frequently anyway, so I just dropped in one day and asked. Its been a few years, and I think they might have a different name for it there. Not sure.

Alright, I'll just call them when I have a chance to.

Another thing I've been reading is that once you apply the lamilabel, the adhesive is really hard to take off. Since this is something I can't just peel off like a sticker, and then hit with the GooGone, I'm a little hesitant to actually do custom art now. I do really like my design, considering it is my first attempt, but I'm not sure if this is something I'm happy with permanently. I might actually post it if someone could give me tips on how to make it more professional.
If you can confirm this I'd appreciate it. If it is I probably just will get a normal laminated card stock, and just double-sided-tape it.

Alright, I'll just call them when I have a chance to.

Another thing I've been reading is that once you apply the lamilabel, the adhesive is really hard to take off. Since this is something I can't just peel off like a sticker, and then hit with the GooGone, I'm a little hesitant to actually do custom art now. I do really like my design, considering it is my first attempt, but I'm not sure if this is something I'm happy with permanently. I might actually post it if someone could give me tips on how to make it more professional.
If you can confirm this I'd appreciate it. If it is I probably just will get a normal laminated card stock, and just double-sided-tape it.

It depends on what the top plate is made of. I'm not particularly familiar with Quanba stuff, but my MadCatz SE had a metal top plate. What I did to get rid of the leftover adhesive was to buy a foil lasagna pan from the supermarket for about a dollar, and a container of acetone from the hardware store (~$5). I let it soak for just a few minutes and then scraped the adhesive off with a razor blade. I just had to be careful not to pierce the foil.

If for some reason Quanba plates are plastic, this won't work, as acetone ruins plastic very quickly.

It depends on what the top plate is made of. I'm not particularly familiar with Quanba stuff, but my MadCatz SE had a metal top plate. What I did to get rid of the leftover adhesive was to buy a foil lasagna pan from the supermarket for about a dollar, and a container of acetone from the hardware store (~$5). I let it soak for just a few minutes and then scraped the adhesive off with a razor blade. I just had to be careful not to pierce the foil.

If for some reason Quanba plates are plastic, this won't work, as acetone ruins plastic very quickly.
Alright, that's handy.
I still think I might just get a laminated card stock and apply it myself with a less-permanent adhesive, or tape.
Thanks!

Hey guys, does anyone know where I would get a cheap decent "test" stick? Or is there a guide or something where I can mod my controllers pcb?

Hey I have a question.
i want to get a fight stick, specifically qanba q4, but I noticed there was qanba q2 was also available and was cheaper. Can anyone tell me if it is worth to get the q4 over the q2, or is the q2 as good as the q4.

I am using keyboard,but all my friends suggest me to use joystick instead.
I am still struggling between keyboard and joystick,which I should buy or not.
Tried gamepad.tried it,hate it.

I am using keyboard,but all my friends suggest me to use joystick instead.
I am still struggling between keyboard and joystick,which I should buy or not.
Tried gamepad.tried it,hate it.

If you are familiar with keyboard only, Hitbox is very easy to adapt to. You can buy or build one with a PS360+ and it will be compatible with every system.

http://www.hitboxarcade.com/

So... I'm finally going to build the weird hitbox I always wanted, so I figured I'd show the progress somewhere. I got the layout sketched today.
Z50NbwW.jpg
So... the 30mm buttons are macros, excluding the ones on top of the punch buttons, which are select and start.

I'm undecided if the "4th punch" should be a macro button or the one that is placed beneath my right thumb. I don't use macros at all, but I figure I should place the buttons where I would, at least.

Last edited:
Hey I have a question.
i want to get a fight stick, specifically qanba q4, but I noticed there was qanba q2 was also available and was cheaper. Can anyone tell me if it is worth to get the q4 over the q2, or is the q2 as good as the q4.

A little late, but just a quick glance at their website leads me to the following information (do with it what you will):

Q4 uses Sanwa parts which are fantastic (though I like a stiffer throw so I add a spring... but I digress). The Q2 uses all in-house Qanba parts. How they hold up, I do not know, but I'd look around to find out as ultimately that is going to make up the bulk of your experience. I'd venture a guess and say they are of lower quality than the Sanwa parts, so the real question is "by how much?".

A potential reason to go Q4 is that it is PC/360/PS3 compatible whereas the Q2 is not cross-platform (technically the ps3 version also works with PCs).

From experience, I love my Q4, but I can't really speak to the Q2 at all.

Hello guys, I am totally new to fighting games because until Skullgirls I always found the characters very one dimensional and visually as well as mentally uninteresting. Now I really wanna play the game, however, I came to notice that the keyboard is really everything but optimal to use.

What would be a good controller for a beginner? I would prefer to not invest into those full blown out arcard pads I see everybody in tournaments using, because they are very fighting game centric and I am honestly not sure if I will stick around long enough and a controller is rather flexible in this regard.

Thanks for the answer in beforehand.

Keyboard is very doable, though it's normally played with a hitbox layout.

I use this, I like it a lot, and it'll only run you $30.
Thanks for the hitbox layout. I will try that out!
On the subject of a controller: Seems pretty cool, with the only problem being that it is apparently a PS3 controller (and I sit on a PC) Thank you anyways for the suggestion ^^

Thanks for the hitbox layout. I will try that out!
On the subject of a controller: Seems pretty cool, with the only problem being that it is apparently a PS3 controller (and I sit on a PC) Thank you anyways for the suggestion ^^
I play PC, that fightpad works without any issues. And you can then play on PS3 at locals :)

Would I need any special adapter for that then? I have heard you need that. if not I am more than happy of course.

Would I need any special adapter for that then? I have heard you need that. if not I am more than happy of course.
Nah, it's just a standard usb connection, and it works on both PS3 and PC.

Great thank you very much <3

So I've been using keyboard to play on PC for a while now, but I also want to play on console (USF4/Skullgirls). I considered getting a hitbox but they have no lefty versions :( Is there some way to use a keyboard on console without a messy setup or do I have to start looking into some kind of custom build? or is there any other solutions? :P

I've kinda been doing a lot of research to no avail, so any help would be appreciated!

Why can no 3rd party manufacturer design AND manufacture (especially manufacture) a decent, non cheap controller with good buttons. It is suffering being a padwarrior, and one that uses a 3rd party pad (PowerA Pro Ex PS3 Wired) because it's a hell lot more comfortable then the ps3 pad and it's convex joysticks.

The thing is about the pad that I'm using, the plastic of the button caps start to wear and destroy the rubber cap on the actual plunger buttonthat makes contact with the circuit board and switches it on, resulting in stuck buttons as the cap gets stuck and lodged into the rubber. So far I think I can fix that with electrical tape to pad the underside of the button caps so they don't dig into the plungers, but, hell, it's too late for the controller and I managed to blow two of them in a way I can't fix without a soldering gun. Some of the wires aren't on there too well. :< They're literally soddered into the back of the circuit board and then fixed down with glue. Blech.

The PS3 GEM Pad by Hori is cheap and reliable. I've been using mine for about a year now and the best part about it is it comes with drivers, so you don't have to worry about downloading and then installing stuff.

I used to use a normal PS3 remote with a USB, and using DS3 Tool was such a pain.

oh yeah, it lights up too, how rad is that?

The PS3 GEM Pad by Hori is cheap and reliable. I've been using mine for about a year now and the best part about it is it comes with drivers, so you don't have to worry about downloading and then installing stuff.

I used to use a normal PS3 remote with a USB, and using DS3 Tool was such a pain.

oh yeah, it lights up too, how rad is that?
It looks like a good controller, but I'm not a fan of of the analog stick placement personally. I might pick it up though. Or a new Pro Ex and next time pad the damn buttons inside, because besides being prone to button wear it's an otherwise solid and really comfortable fairly sized controller that fits the 360-style pads. And it also comes with PC Drivers. And digital triggers (that are made to feel like analog triggers instead of clicky digital ones, which is weird but it's fine)

It looks like a good controller, but I'm not a fan of of the analog stick placement personally. I might pick it up though. Or a new Pro Ex and next time pad the damn buttons inside, because besides being prone to button wear it's an otherwise solid and really comfortable fairly sized controller.
Hori does make 360-style ones, but they're more expensive.
They're also made for 360 and not PS3.

next time pad the damn buttons inside, because besides being prone to button wear it's an otherwise solid and really comfortable fairly sized controller

What exactly do you mean by pad the buttons? I'm in the same situation where I have a pad that I really like everything about except for the fact that the buttons seemed to wear out quickly (I've only had it like 6 months and multiple buttons have had/still have sticking issues). I'm gonna buy a replacement today and if there's some way I can modify it to make it less prone to these problems I'd love to be able to do it.

both seimitsu and sanwa parts will fit in a Q1 stick

I just got the PC version of Skullgirls and I've been loving the keyboard playscheme, so I've decided I want to invest in a stick. Any suggestions for a stick that's at a reasonable (I'm talking ~$75) price and has buttons for directional inputs? But I guess that's not really a "stick", then, is it...

I just got the PC version of Skullgirls and I've been loving the keyboard playscheme, so I've decided I want to invest in a stick. Any suggestions for a stick that's at a reasonable (I'm talking ~$75) price and has buttons for directional inputs? But I guess that's not really a "stick", then, is it...
you want a hit box controller, i guess.