• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA [Dec 8, 2017] SALTY! Friday Weeklies @ Game Realms (Burbank, CA)

Work is letting me off early, so I'll definitely be there todayyyyy (bringing SHODAN)

Am I too early? How the hell do I get in this building?

Am I too early? How the hell do I get in this building?
Yep, you are too early. You are also not on the OK'd list, but we'll ignore that for now.
You ring the black doorbell, or wait for Dan/Fanatiq to show up.

You ring the black doorbell, or wait for Dan/Fanatiq to show up.
Dan told me he had a family thing tonight so unless Fanatiq's coming, that might not be an option.

Dan told me he had a family thing tonight so unless Fanatiq's coming, that might not be an option.
ARE YOU FREAKIN SERIOUS okay I guess I'll cut short my thing and show up then.

It was decided there was more than enough room for people to come and play for the time being.
Umm what? I don't think this is true... but we will discuss this week sometime

Today's bracket was on challonge.com/SGSalty also if we could always use this one from now on that'd be cool. I don't mind sharing the password either because I don't think I'll always show up.

Week 1
Wing - 10
Dame - 7
Maguma - 4
WeatherBee/JMZ - 1

Week 2
SP - 10
Bang - 7
Devita - 4
Stuff - 1

Total
Wing/SP - 10
Dame/Bang - 7
Maguma/Devita - 4
WeatheBee/JMZ/Stuff - 1

Still really close. Anybody's game for the gift cards

requesting we go back to the PS3 version for the stream station (again)

What's wrong with the PS4 version?

PS4 is tournament standard, though, everywhere except at Salty.
And it doesn't have 8-bit loading characters, runs at a better framerate, has more super shadows, can run at 1080, reassigns menu control if you unplug a stick...

Reactions: TheCrankMachine
something about it doesnt feel right, dropped inputs happen more, talked about it with @WingZero and he agreed with me. Idk what it is exactly might be a PS3 stick on PS4 thing

Idk why, but there feels like there's a bit of input lag on the ps4 version. *Shrug* It might just be me, but I definitely prefer the ps3 version.

It feels pretty much the same for me, besides if it's the tournament standard we should probably stick with it so you don't have the problem in like a major or something. 'Cause you'd be used it by then y'know?

I also hope neither of you were looking at the TV since the TV lags and the monitor does not.

BTW, not sure where to post this but I found the best Squigly and the best Big Band player in the world.

Its a FT30. He's from Japan so there are some parts where you notice I drop basic stuff like throw into cr. lk but even if there was no lag, this guy would've kicked my ass. I rank him higher than Fox but on par with sage.

EDIT: I wanted to note he did stuff with both characters that I have never seen in the states. Like new tech that you guys should probably watch and learn. His use of sing was something I've never seen before. This also includes new burst baits with both characters, new double snap midscreen combos, parry (on purpose) confirms into big combos and much more.

Last edited:
BTW, not sure where to post this but I found the best Squigly and the best Big Band player in the world.

Dude, that guy is really amazing! He is on point with everything.

Now that you talked about it, would it be cool to have a thread to just talk about high level players and potential talents, i know a lot of great players are part of the forum, but i think there is a lot that isn't, so a thread to show their stuff and talk about their tech would be cool.

And this would also be an incentive for people to get better.

http://mikezsez.blogspot.com/2015/06/lab-zero-stick-driver-input-lag-test.html
tl;dr
The PS4 version has equivalent, and in some cases LESS, input lag than the PS3 version.

It also polls the controllers 250-280 times per second, which is more than the PS3 does.
I've been told by a lot of players that 1080p on the ps4 has worse/slower input timing than the ps3. Your tests were on 720p.

That said after switching between builds at EVO I definitely felt a difference. Negus and Biz Casual felt the same difference... Can you recall whether those were on 1080p or 720p?

I've been told by a lot of players that 1080p on the ps4 has worse/slower input timing than the ps3. Your tests were on 720p.

That said after switching between builds at EVO I definitely felt a difference. Negus and Biz Casual felt the same difference... Can you recall whether those were on 1080p or 720p?
Lots of TVs have a worse time displaying 1080p, but the input timing is the same. Polling rate is the same, code is the same. USB library runs in a separate thread so timing is unchanged...framerate may be worse, but that's not input polling.

Everything *I* set up is always at 720, so I know at least the top8 for Evo was at 720. Since I didn't set up the other stations beforehand, I dunno.

Tell ya what, though, since I have a borrowed Evo monitor in my car I'll do another test!

(You do realize that confirmation bias is a thing, so the only way to validate it using player experience as opposed to 60fps capture would be to conduct a blind test, right?)

Reactions: Midiman
Double-post!

If the tournament standard becomes PS4 though, as it sorta already has, then that by definition is the standard to get used to. TOs have no reason to keep PS3s anymore...

At least ps3 users can still use their sticks/pads

(You do realize that confirmation bias is a thing, so the only way to validate it using player experience as opposed to 60fps capture would be to conduct a blind test, right?)
I would find this really interesting if you chose to it did it!

Thanks for doing another test~

ATTENTION EVERYONE, info about the actual event.

Twin Galaxies is being very firm about capping it at 25 people. Discuss.

thats fine with me as long as they let me in.

its strange that ps4 is the tournament standard, lugging around a super expensive new console seems like a strange thing to do.

25 people. Discuss.

Twin-Galaxies hard cap...

On its own, it doesn't bug me too much

Something to consider is that potentially, the months would be split between rebel-up and this (correct? incorrect?). So while it is far from ideal to have a restriction of that nature, it's not a complete loss. Folks can get their come-one, come-all fix then. (plus the place is awesomer than UGC in every way. And the bathroom didn't smell like death.)

But then one may need to re-evaluate the purpose of Salty (I'm not arguing for or against a change in this regard): a 25 hard cap makes me think of what I believe MMDS said when he first presented this place as an option- these folks are interested in promoting skullgirls and growing it (along with their own brand/empire, of course).

So then while Salty is (possibly?) intended to be a weekly meetup/tournament, in what ways would it have to be tweaked to fit a more constrained, yet free-form purpose? Does it become more of a "weekly show" type thing with a more slightly more structured presentation to account for the restricted pool of competitors? Does it get built around seasons that run for X-number of weeks or something so there can be a rotating player pool? Is it business as usual with a tournament running every week, but with a much less diverse pool? Or does it drop the venue because the purposes aren't aligned and everyone isn't allowed in at once? I have no idea, and I'm not particularly fond of any of these.

TLDR: But I like the place. 25 cap is a bummer, but I'm cool with it if it means not having to go back to UGC. It's an admittedly selfish POV, seeing as this place is practically down the street from me and I disliked UGC. But it does suck that if numbers ever ballooned, or a grip of new folks wanted to come by, they'd be potentially wait-listed/turned away.

snip

This is the fear I had with the player cap when it was first proposed. The idea of Salty becoming an exclusive "club" with no room to grow for new players makes me feel uneasy. Like I said before, I really liked the inviting casual atmosphere when I first walked into Frootsii years ago and I'd like for future people that are interested to get the same experience I did. I mean sure a quarter of the people that go are mostly there to hang out and play something other than SG, but after getting that taste of wanting to learn how to get to get better at a game that is not SG and was partial inspiration for SG, this is going to sound bad, but playing only SG would seem to get boring after a little while (even if that is how you started and I joined).

Sorry for the non-linear rant.

You have to look at it from their point of view. They are not capping us because they want to stunt our growth or make an exclusive elite SG event. TG is a filming studios with, as you can see, $100,000+ worth of exposed equipment. They don't want "unlimited" people walking around as an open casual spot where strangers can freely roam through and either break/steal something with only 1 person working that entire night alone. It's just impossible to manage. Sure we can say that we will be careful and no one will steal, but they can't take that risk on their end. It's nothing about our community or not wanting to grow, it's just restrictions they need to take precaution on.

I think the easiest solution is make a sign-up list here like I did for week 1 on a first come first serve basis and of someone is too late, they need to switch with someone on the list. 25 is a big cap BTW, the first week we were around 29-30 with people I've never seen before come. I wasn't there Halloween but I doubt we were close to 30 again. Did anyone take a head count?

With that being said for the time being, a list is going to be the easiest way to do it. If you are FOR SURE going, then post up. If you are just a "meh, I might" then post that. I'll make a note. Until then, I think this should be the way to do it (unless another solution comes up that you guys want). If you are entering Skullgirls for sure, post that too. I will try to make the bracket before then (with byes for random/late/unexpected). That way we don't waste time there. I'm not running the other games so only post for SG for me here. I think the sandloop people have a thread somewhere else for the other games.

November 7
1. DJ Azure
2. Some Person
3. Verdant
4. Wing
5. Bang
6. Victoria
7. Devita
8. Red Mage
9. Weather Bee
10. Dawn

Last edited:
I'll be going

I'm going. Going to speak for my carpool lane dummies @BANG! and Vic, unless they state otherwise.

Going. Also confirming for Red Witch.

Also I made this last night in case we want to use something where it's easier to bring up in a link for reference, and have more than one person be able to add people in? I can give permission if you PM me your gmail @MegamanDS if you have one. Also helps us catalog current and past attendees because data is cool. Something to think about. I'll probably just do it for my own records either way.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QLtlLS2OlzLZvFmT6XW64okTi3v9xjeNOis-JYs7rmY/edit?usp=sharing

Going. Also confirming for Red Witch.

Also I made this last night in case we want to use something where it's easier to bring up in a link for reference, and have more than one person be able to add people in? I can give permission if you PM me your gmail @MegamanDS if you have one. Also helps us catalog current and past attendees because data is cool. Something to think about. I'll probably just do it for my own records either way.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QLtlLS2OlzLZvFmT6XW64okTi3v9xjeNOis-JYs7rmY/edit?usp=sharing
my gmail is megamands@gmail.com. Sure, so people can add themselves if they are going?

We could open it up to everyone... I'd like to think no one will tamper with it! But ya, that way we can just post the sheet every week and people can say if they are going or not instead of creating this long dialogue in the SH thread.

Okay It's opened up if you dont see your name add it to the list

In semi related news, UGC will be closing it's doors Nov. 30. They will try to maybe reopen sometime in 2016 near Twin Galaxies (hmm, coincidence?)