• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Fire Emblem

a) Japanese game made by japanese people in Japan where the "onii-chan" stuff is seen differently than in the west
b) Medieval setting with medieval-like characters inspired by the middle ages where marriages between family members were a thing for political reasons.

It can gross you out, but they have a basis to be there.

Ah yes, the game was definitely going for absolute realism as hinted at by the use of magic, awkward armor designs, and the completely historically accurate use of time travel.
Like, if we're picking and choosing what we are and aren't gonna be accurate about, why leave in that grossness?

Also, it's not the fact that she calls you onee-chan, like I get that, but it's the way she says it and when she says it that bother me.

FE games weren't so much focused on the "anime-ness" of their systems, if you even want to call it that. They were mostly focused on the story previously. If you go over some of the support conversations, there were some out there ones in the past too.

I believe that with hte current FE trend, a lot of these features are to bring back in a lot more of the "niche" crowd and cult popularity in Japan due to the absence of an FE game for so long. This translated ok over to here, thanks to great writing and translation, and created the whole shipping mindset and general anime tendencies we tend to associate with Awakening. In reality the game's features are true to Fire Emblem standards, even if I have some issues with in.
In Awakening, the time travel wasn't mindlessly tacked on, it was done in a pretty fair way, and the whole Children units thing, along with the more funny support conversations, created this mindset in a lot of new players about grinding not only to get strong and feel like an unstoppable machine, but also earn said supports with which to enjoy.

So with that in perspective, the changes made in Fates create a paradox. They wanted to keep child units in order to help keep that interested crowd in. However, with the way the story works and characters relate, it means that the romances with a lot of possible characters are moreso along the lines of "Adopted Family" rather than friends you grow with along the way. Given the apparent age and way some of these characters act in the Jap version, has obviously not translated so positively to America and other countries given the current viewpoint on incest and other relationship issues (like with the whole stupid drama around the one young girl who seems to have a greater interest in girls.). This doesn't apply as much to the Nohr side given that you discover you're not related by blood very early and by that point you've grown up as basically a stranger to this "family" so it makes more sense in that regard that romances are an option. Hoshido has less of an excuse, however.

My standpoint on it is that Nohr is fine. We're not directly related to anyone and we find this out early enough and since we didn't grow up with the Nohr "family," we're basically strangers to each other. In that regard its as stated above about them.

In reality, however, I don't think it matters. You can be disgusted by some of these things, but the reality of it is that its a video game. It's obviously not emulating reality, and this whole culture shock is more seen as a fun side thing. It's more a side thing for you to pair people up, as in the previous game, and the marriages an extra reward. Honestly it feels like marriages were tacked on because "They were popular in Awakening."

tl;dr: Regardless of your feelings, Fates is trying to keep a mechanic that was popular in Awakening. It does create some awkward issues, given the "political correctness" of America as opposed to Japan, where stuff like this mostly seen as a fun little fantasy diversion completely unrelated to reality.

As much as I want this discussion to end, I think the point is generally being missed.

Incest really isn't in this game. You're not blood related, and that is made clear. It isn't incest and it isn't a big deal.

Now, if they had just wiped their hands with you being siblings (I.E. no onii-chan anymore, treating the dynamic as very close friends and not siblings), that would have been fine. The problem is they, as previously mentioned, are fetishizing the fact that you're basically brother and sister.
Even when you're married, your siblings still refer to you as their brother and sister in their lewd petting lines. Your siblings are sexualized even before you know you're not related.

There isn't really an excuse for this. I understand your siblings need to be made able to be married, as they are a big part of the cast. This doesn't excuse the way they make it so sexual.

Can we please stop talking about this? I'm disappointed how they treat it, yes, but I'm fine with it, and much angrier at the whole "petting" thing.

I also like how in the time travel of Awakening, not everyone actually went to the point Lucina was at, so it gives a sense of they were that desperate to change the past.

hell, Miriel's son wen't five years before Lucina. some children have even started meaningful relationships in the short time lapse. lso there's the fact that Morgan probably comes from an alternate future. they put some thought into this.

It does create some awkward issues,

Like incest?

given the "political correctness" of America as opposed to Japan,

Such as stern opposition to incest?

where stuff like this mostly seen as a fun little fantasy diversion completely unrelated to reality.

Involving the romanticization of incest?

Like honestly, my anger over the blatant goddamn incest isn't over inbreeding. It's over the incestuous mindset, the fact that you can initiate blatantly sexual (as there is an offspring) relations with someone you mentally refer to as a sibling.

A character not technically being related by blood, which is starting to feel more and more like a copout to justify the system in general, means nothing when they're still referred to as and for all intents and purposes except for on a technicality, ARE your brothers and sisters.

IT. IS. INCEST.

Yeah, I really dislike how children are explained in Fates.
A big part of what I liked about the children in Awakening is that the dynamic, as I've said before, was really good. These children came out of nowhere, and now they need to learn how to actually be parents to them under a lot of pressure from the war, and most of the time not being ready for children.
With Fates, it just seems like they're kind of neglecting them by throwing them into the timeskip daycare, and a big part about what made children work in Awakening was the fact that these kids were raised by them in a different timeline, but they died.
Also, to my knowledge, there isn't a timeskip in Fates like there is after you kill Gangrel in Awakening. Is the army just full of pregnant women for a year?

It's just Fates assuming everybody who is playing is a horny 12-year old bent on satisfying themselves by petting their digital siblings, and not die-hard fans who love the game. It's not actual incest in the same way that wrestling is fake (The Beowulf player in me just cried), you can pretend it isn't, but in all reality the truth is that either way that's the idea. It doesn't matter if it's real or not, they ACT like it's real.

"Fire Emblem: IFcest, come for the rich gameplay, stay because you're the father."

Last edited:
I'm just not gonna take a video game all that seriously at this point
drama is exhausting
i just want my luchador son

I'm just not gonna take a video game all that seriously at this point
drama is exhausting
i just want my luchador son
;^; i just want my not-oni oni girl.
why can't we all just get along?

Also, to my knowledge, there isn't a timeskip in Fates like there is after you kill Gangrel in Awakening. Is the army just full of pregnant women for a year?
actually, most (AKA all but Lucina) haven't been born yet during the timeskip.
so we're to believe that they are all born after Lucina, even though nobody has been born yet besides her.

and considering it's time travel, they can come back before they're born. so long as the parents are married then it's fine to have their children go back before they're born.

Last edited:
Like, if we're picking and choosing what we are and aren't gonna be accurate about, why leave in that grossness?

Also, it's not the fact that she calls you onee-chan, like I get that, but it's the way she says it and when she says it that bother me.

Because in japanese culture, common among japanese people in japan, THE CULTURE, PEOPLE AND NATION WHERE THE GAME WAS CREATED, incest isn't considered as "gross" as for Westerns. What works for one culture may not work for another. that doesn't makes it UNIVERSALLY gross because your culture don't like it.

i'll say that again: it may gross you out, it may even gross ME out, but they have a basis to be there.

sorry to bump this thread with no meaningful news, but I've been playing Blazing Sword lately and I've been enjoying it rather a lot, though not without some complaints/grievances (going for Rank is really dumb, supports/shops being on the map, Lyn's story being a glorified tutorial)

those aside, I really do like the game, but it gave me a thought about a feature that i think would be really useful in future linear Fire Emblem games. The ability to replay chapters and have your progress go from there. Pikmin 3 has this feature in that you can replay Days, and your status at the beginning of each day is saved, so it knows where you're gonna start.
So if you've just completed Day 5, but you realize that you've done on Days 4 and 5 can be completed in only one day with some extra prep work on Day 3, so you go back to Day 3 to do that prep work and your progress on Days 4 and 5 is gone, but you have the knowledge of what you want to do going forward.

I think that this feature would be really great to have in a linear Fire Emblem game due to how it lets the player make up for mistakes that they may have made, without being really scummy about it, because you need to do the work again, but with the knowledge of what's coming up, so you can prepare for it better and maybe being a better player in the long run. If you're on Chapter 10 and you need your mage that you haven't used since Chapter 5, you can go back and build that mage up, but you still need to put in the work to get back to chapter 10, as opposed to SS or Awakening, where you could just grind it out on the map, not that I have a particular issue with that, I just prefer linear level progression in Fire Emblem.
I really think that letting people be able to replay chapters and having them go forward from their replay point would really be a good way to let players refine their strats/tactics and recoup on mistakes or try new things out, without just handing them the direct means.

Any of you have an opinion on this idea?

Honestly, my biggest problem with classic FE games is how easily you can just completely screw yourself over in later chapters by doing something as simple as not leveling up one specific character, and especially if you are actually letting people die. They tried to help this by making characters of the same class, but they're always to crap to matter. Something like you suggest could go a long way to helping people get into the non-world map FE games, which would be good, because those are really good games.
It would go a long way for a remake, which I really hope happens at some point. FE 7 and FE 9 (And 6, 8 and 10 to an extent) are really good, but not often played because they're kinda dated. Chapter replays would really help with that (Though maybe more than 3 save files would to : P)

^^By classic, are you talking about pre-seven/localization?

Because I don't think I ever had a "you're screwed" moment in any localized Fire Emblem after my very first play of the first.

Basically, my first time playing 7, I didn't realize the whole "perma death" thing, and thought everyone was going to get revived again at some point (like how they were at the end of Lyn's prologue). This ended up with an unwinnable situation where I had no weapons and only 3 (very weak) units on the last Dragon's Gate 1 Mission.

After that, I don't think I've ever felt "screwed". All you really need to do IMO is just pick 3 dudes you like and get them to 20 pre-promotion, then upgrade and they can murder the world (maybe I'm just lucky, because I've never had a lvl20 promoted unit that wasn't a complete murder machine). Buy only steel swords and use silver only when you need it and you'll be fine for money always.

I don't think there's anything dated about any of the gba titles onward. 7 and 9 are pretty much perfect games IMO.

Last edited:
The NA release date for Fates is going to be February 19th, 2016. Still no EU release date, it's just early 2016. The third route is called "revelations". We're getting a special edition in NA as well IIRC, which includes both games and the revelations route.

can we confirm that i can still motorboat everyone in the game, up to and including the final boss
i need to smother myself in someone's pectorals, preferably one of my siblings

Reactions: Magma442
can we confirm that i can still motorboat everyone in the game, up to and including the final boss
i need to smother myself in someone's pectorals, preferably one of my siblings

I really hope the poke-Ami type game wasn't censored because I want it just because of how ridiculous it is.

But then again we also censored Tharja booty.

I really hope the poke-Ami type game wasn't censored because I want it just because of how ridiculous it is.

But then again we also censored Tharja booty.
Keep in mind a different localization team is doing the NA release this time around, so you can't really go off of Awakening's NA release.
I'm more interested in how they will handle Lazward/Inigo, and if they'll revert the changes the localization team did to his character in Awakening's NA release or keep them. Personally I really hope they revert them, things like his voice really kind of change what the character was going for. It isn't as bad as how they butchered Henry in the NA version but it's still a little annoying.

I don't think they'll censor much, actually. I know they'll probably keep the petting thing, but will probably remove and/or change some of the more lewd lines. Personally I'd really prefer if they did this, since they feel really out of place.

why would they recast him when the entire point is that he's the same character
having the same voice kind of
helps lend credence to that

why would they recast him when the entire point is that he's the same character
having the same voice kind of
helps lend credence to that
I'm aware of this, which is why I'm asking. I'm curious whether they consider keeping him consistent between the NA and JP versions more important than keeping him consistent between the NA localized versions, and how they'll approach localizing him. Personally I really disliked the changes to his voice (before I get hit, I love Liam O'Brien as well, he's just unfitting) and character so I'd be for them starting over with his localization.

I'd say it's probably better of them remain consistent with the localized version
you gotta lay in the bed you make, commit to your choices, etc etc
plus Liam O'Brien is probably already voicing someone else in the game, no harm in getting him back

Preferably ALL of my siblings.
Hopefully Revelations lets me have one phantasmagoria of an orgy with all of my siblings.

Understanding reached through heavy petting.

we make the siblings pet each other
then everyone gets married
to each other

Will probably be the true end.

I don't think that I've ever looked into it too much, but holy shit is Path of Radiance expensive. A few friends of mine are getting into the GBA Fire Emblem games, and I want to recommend them PoR, because it's great, but it's like $100 used. No matter how good the game is, I don't think I can recommend it in good concise, which sucks hard. I've never been to into the GC VC thing, but I think I'm finally seeing it, I think.

Reactions: Lexeous
I mean you could always get the games ANOTHER way...........
By which I mean potentially illegal unless you already own a copy of the game yourself *cough* marine mammal*cough*

Man I wish me or my friends had computers good enough to run Dolphin. As it stands, I'm going to need to scan Mom & Pop shops for reasonably priced copies, or just give up on the whole thing, which would suck.

You could always try to find it at cons and say its a rare game you bought.

By which I mean potentially illegal
WkOgObf.jpg

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
so I saw the Camilla's S rank conversation with the Corrin character.
it was kinda cute.
>nb4 "lol it's your sister"

Years after the commercial success of Fates in the US, Japan realized that rise in sales and profits grew in proportion to the amount of incest, fake or not, was embedded in the story. Eventually devious and unscrupulous corporations would mutate the human genome to a point where chromosomes would achieve a triple helix. After much blood was shed and years of human experimentation, the first new human was scheduled to make their debut coinciding with a game released with an official Nintendo stamp of approval: "Fire Emblem: Triplecest Waifu Wars"

Last edited:
Years after the commercial success of Fates in the US, Japan realized that rise in sales and profits grew in proportion to the amount of incest fake or not was embedded in the story. Eventually devious and unscrupulous corporations would mutate the human genome to a point where chromosomes would achieve a triple helix. After much was blood was shed and years of human experimentation, the first new human was scheduled to make their debut coinciding with a game released with an official Nintendo stamp of approval: "Fire Emblem: Triplecest Waifu Wars"
The silver lining in all this is that Fire Emblem 4 was finally re-released and localized.

Reactions: Lexeous
and in the defense of Camilla's S-rank, Camilla herself says there is no blood between the two of you.

spoiler.
That's a spoiler for people who haven't keep up with the jap stuff, so put that away somewhere.

Actually, I don't even remember who is who anymore.

I just went to a friends house and he has the japanese versions of Fire Emblem Fates.He tells me to, with no context, rub on a character and fill up her hearts. That's pretty uncomfortable if you ask me and more so when he leaned in and told me that I was rubbing on his non-biological sister Hinoka, and that they have a kid that I had to rub too.
I'm going to stick with playing the GB fire emblem games.

I'm going to stick with playing the GB fire emblem games.

Never a bad plan really, though I will say that you shouldn't let that singular part turn you off of Fates. That's basically the deep end off bad-ness, the rest is nowhere near as creepy. It's kind of a shame that bits like this even exist, because their fairly unrepresentative of the product.

Yeah I agree with MMan. Game is looking phenomenal in every other regard. Shame they had to stick that otaku dating sim element in. Should have stuck with the way things are in Awakening which stood on the right side of the balance IMO.

gotta get dat pokemon-aime money tho.

but no seriously, that's the only reason the rubbing is there.
its a gimmick that's even been in Harvest moon before pokemon.