• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Gaming General Discusison

Dodonpachi is particularly notable, as the first installment is generally considered the first "true" bullet hell game, collecting and codifying the various ideas and innovations that had been floating around into one solid package that pretty much defined the sub-genre.

The other candidate is Batsuugan, the Special re-release version of which also did the "pixel sized hitbox with much denser bullet patterns" idea. But the guys who made it ended up joining Cave and creating Dodonpachi shortly afterwards anyway.

It's nice to see Cave bring these games to Steam. A lot of complains have been made about their slowdown not being arcade perfect. But as a casual I don't really give a fuck tbh.

Nioh is coming February 9th.

Why is Mike Z in Metronomicon?

The-Metronomicon-2.jpg

uh...

it says AM

not pm

Good thing I'll be up in the morning.

Reactions: Ninja
how do you do a console reveal in just 3 minutes

You show what it looks like

what it does

and the name.

The end.

they're gonna reveal it in 3 minutes then spend another 27 talking about all the cool Metroid games that got rejected for it

then spend another 27 talking about all the cool Metroid games that got rejected for it
Stop it. I'm still fucking salty about the "We didn't know people wanted a new Metroid, but even if we started developing one now it's too late for the Wii-U".

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THING MASQUERADING AS A D-PAD

YUCK

Reactions: CountofBleck
YO WAS THAT KING BOO IN MARIO KART

Yes it was along with two... item... slots!

So the voice actor strike is actually happening now.

I know I'm sticking my neck out here but I do want to say this really does seem like a complicated issue, when I did look into this stuff, which was probably pre-2010, I can say the way that contracts, salary and the work environment were handled was an absolute mess, in the larger industry at least. That said I'm not sure I entirely agree with their demands, at least not the way things stand, since they want bonuses for certain sales thresholds. I'm certainly not against residuals being paid, but the terms here just make me think about how the people who actually shaped the gameplay or the story probably don't see this sort of benefit either and are honestly more instrumental to the actual reasons people purchase their products. After all, software engineers in particular aren't exactly unionized and are the most likely "abused" during crunch.

I also personally feel voice actors need to be held to a higher standard, but that's an entirely different issue and doesn't excuse these problems in any way.

And finally, just a note, I'm an industry outsider and as said most of my research into this topic is dated, but clearly there is still a problem since we're now seeing a strike, if I've mischaracterized or misinformed here I am sorry, please post correct information if that is the case.

Last edited:
They actually changed a lot of the demands and I feel that they are actually reasonable instead of the clusterfuck that was the original draft. That being said, I can't say that I care much about VAs in vidya, 99% of the time it's just flavoring and a bunch of the games considered all-times classic were text-only.

I'm serious curious but cautious about the Switch.

They actually changed a lot of the demands and I feel that they are actually reasonable instead of the clusterfuck that was the original draft. That being said, I can't say that I care much about VAs in vidya, 99% of the time it's just flavoring and a bunch of the games considered all-times classic were text-only.
Also an outsider, but I'd like to point out that initial "demands" are often ridiculous in complex negotiations to see how much wiggle room the other side has and give yourself easy things to drop in trade.

I'm not too informed of the situation, but would shy away from blanket rules or statements. After all, I doubt Patrick Stewart was treated badly for Obsidian Oblivion or Liam Neeson for Fallout 3; I've also heard of many cases where the "voice actors" are devs in their spare time. I've heard the film industry's unions have made things utter mess to the point where the forbid extras from speaking or screwing in lightbulbs because it means stepping on somebody else's contract. That said, I'd generally like to see better and wealthier working conditions for the industry as a whole. Just don't have a clue how. Really surprised nobody's tried to establish a "Silicon Corn Field" in the midwest.

I'm also a little partial to text boxes and would love to see them make a comeback.

Last edited:
VA strike could force atlus to launch p5 ubdubbed instead of embracing the delay it'll cause.

Intresting

I've also heard of many cases where the "voice actors" are devs in their spare time.
See also, Mike.

Reactions: The Dave
There's no thread up for the Skullgirls physical release through Limited Run but that's a thing now. Also if it sells 10K we get the Japanese dub.

The first reply to that second tweet though, the fuck?

About the VA strike, let's put some cards on the table:

- Some VAs also work with motion capture on the same title, not always with extra payment or rights for it. That's bad.
- The strike only affects people associated with SAG Aftra, so there's always the chance that unaffiliated VAs could take some roles and we could see some stars rising.
- While there are VERY few, some VAs are insufferable elitist pricks that believe a game's success comes more from them than the actual devs and others that try to inject BS politics and personal opinions on every piece of media they make part. These very few make the whole thing look bad
- Voice acting isn't as well documented and explored as it should, so most people think it's a "comfy job" or "acting without moving". More transparency about what happens on the studios could help

Last, but not least, there is a LOUD ammount of gamers that always prefer the "original audio" in imported titles. If this strike goes on long enough, some publishers might ditch their dub plans and bring the games without english dub. Fighting games would probably be the most affected genre, but we could also talk about non AAA RPGs and strategy games with lenghty visual novel segments and niche titles (I.E. NIS games and xseed published games)

IF the games succeed without the voice acting, the Blazblue central fiction no dub drama might be more and more common, with dual audio becoming even rarer

So, more than a fight for better working conditions, this is becoming a big market test. Let's hope for the best

Last edited:
Reactions: The Dave
Do you guys wanna hear something absolutely hilarious to take your mind off the sadness of no Blazblue dub and the concerns raised by Dukemagus?
Do you remember Evolve? Do you remember how cool a concept it was?
Do you maybe remember that it flopped because it was loaded with DLC?
Did you remember the devs turning it f2p in an attempt to save face?
Well, guess what?
They gave up.
They legitimately gave up.
A few days ago they said they were "Done" with Evolve. It's not getting updated anymore, they straight up gave up.

Seems like that disgruntled employee was none other than Sean Murray. I have to find the source again though.

Disgruntled Employees in a company that lied? Perish the thought!

wish it was that simple: Sony manufactured the hype and made the project's popularity to skyrocket, while backing it with relatively little money.

When everything went under, they threw Hello games under the bus

Is this were I post this?

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight has finally been released. It is the 4th entry in the fantastic Momodora series.
I wholeheartedly recommend that you check this game out if you like 2d-Platformers, and more-so if you like gorgeous pixel art.
I have not played it myself yet, but from what I can see and from what I hear it is visually gorgeous with an amazing soundtrack and an atmosphere that could kill.

"But Fumako, I played the other momodoras and I didn't like them, why should I check this out?"
This game is polished, man.
From what I hear it's got some dark-soulsy elements in there; from what I can deduce, what I see they're right in that it has atmosphere and hits look like they're satisfying.
If you didn't like the simplistic combat of the previous entries, don't worry; this game has a overhauled fantastic combat system.

Oh, the title and titlescreen also kinda remind me of touhou, which is nice.

"That seems nice, but I'd like more information from other sources..."
In the spoiler, my friend.

Very late to the party but I just got done playing this.

Fuck, it's good. Nailed the atmosphere. It's very much Bloodborne influenced (hard not to see it once you reach Karst city or see Kaho's item activation animation), but the cutesie art style juxtaposed with Souls-style haunted bleakness and npc-slaughtering brutality gives it a wonderfully kooky dark (or should I say authentic) Fairy Tale style IMO. Surprisingly strong stuff.

Plays well enough too. Enemy/Boss design and mechanics are solid if not amazing (I'm a bit spoiled by the 2d arcade-skullcrushers I generally play), but IMO it beats out most Metroidvania's with its fun, tense platforming (level design shows that SOTN styled meroidvania's can do more than "rectangular rooms full of enemies") and brisker pace. Still though, imo its the atmosphere you're playing for and where the game really triumphs.

Crazy to say, but I will honestly be surprised if Bloodstained ends up half as good at this charming little title.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fumako