• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Gaming General Discusison

I've recently started playing Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and it's a ton of fun! Like Morrowind meets Shadowrun Returns. Good dialog, good character sheet, good avenue for roleplay. I love that you can just walk up to human enemies and eat them. And, by picking a blood sorceress and focusing on melee and seduction, it's basically Eliza: the Game. The age of the game does hamper it a bit, there's no convenient navigation system and you have to read quest descriptions to know where to go, but that's not too bad a problem.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
Fantastic game, be warned though, it got rushed out the door before being finished and if you need to learn at least some combat skills if you want to make it through to the end.

You have the unofficial patches installed already, I hope?

Fantastic game, be warned though, it got rushed out the door before being finished and if you need to learn at least some combat skills if you want to make it through to the end.

You have the unofficial patches installed already, I hope?
Just the one I needed to run it on a modern graphics adapter. I have really good brawling and melee combat stats, so I'm not too concerned. There was a bit I had to look up with unexpected gunplay, but luckily I hadn't sold the guns from the last guys I'd eaten yet.

Lockpicks and computers as hard stat-locks are a pain, especially since I haven't found any items for temporary buffs. Disciplines can buff skills, but unfortunately there's this chest I want to unlock in an Elysium...

How can you not love a game where you have an argument with a street sign?

Reactions: The Dave
Vampire the Masquerade in general is pretty good, hope you enjoy the game and consider giving the Tabletop Games a look afterwards
Just beat it, matter of fact! Good fun, good fun. Particularly liked the last fight with Man-Bat. I've played a little D&D before, so World of Darkness could be a fun system. Promethean: the Created looks particularly interesting, but I have a thing for robots.

There's a tabletop thread if you wanna bring up more questions about World of Darkness, I've beenw anting to run some stuff.

But more on topic, there's rumors there might be a Bloodlines 2, given that Paradox is allowed to mkae games iwth the One (Old) World of Darkness license

Reactions: The Dave
TFW you stay up all night to 11 am finishing the greatest rpg of all time.

In other words I just beat Trials In The Sky SC.

Not perfect and I could probably write some criticism of parts of the story, but it was an 11/10 in all the areas that I needed it to be and in all the scenes that it needed to be. Easily my favorite story in a game and my favorite rpg.

One Winged Angel? Fuck that noise. THE MERCILESS SAVIOR mothafuckaaaas
If you've also played to the end, please hum this tune with me right now mkay ^^^ but please don't go youtube it if you haven't played yet because holy fuck does the music in this game go with the experience

I need to sleep now before my brain explodes from the twin overdose of feels and hype.

Last edited:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e161205b.html
In addition to regular major title releases each fiscal year, Capcom is currently focused on reviving series that have not had new entries recently, or otherwise dormant IP.

I have 0 expectation from this statement, even if something I want back gets announced it could be terrible. Such an odd feeling, considering how much love I have for Capcom IPs.

I would pay in asses for a new Megaman Zero.

Thoughts on Nitroplus Blasterz? I probably won't get it, but it does look interesting.

It's surprisingly great. I made fun of it a while back, but I didn't know that EXAMU of Arcana Heart made it, so a lot of solid experience went into it.

It kind of reminds me of Under Night in that it looks like a standard doujin/indie air dasher at first glance, but limited and punishable air options (you basically can't do anything till your air dash ends) makes it feel more like a classical ground/footsies type of game.

It actually kind of reminds me of a more modern Last Blade, in that it's kinda poke focused and everyone's got a universal parry, unblockable, and custom combo sequence.

The characters also play pretty diversely and fun. It's one of those games where I have a hard time picking an initial character because they all feel so fun.

It actually kind of reminds me of a more modern Last Blade
Oh, now I have to look into this.

Reactions: Vadsamoht
Saber especially. Her sword ranges are similar and all her normals do chip damage like in that game.

Reactions: Aden
Saber especially. Her sword ranges are similar and all her normals do chip damage like in that game.

Well, when you wield a sword like Excalibur anythings possible.

Inquire: is Warframe any good?

Inquire: is Warframe any good?
Like, it's the perfect "Podcast Game"
Super repetitive, super grindy, with enough RNG (ugh, seriously, it gets even worse with the new update) to drive a man insane.
But it's beautiful busy work when you're really bored/listening to podcasts.

Even better, play Warframe while listening to a podcast about Warframe where the hosts are talking about the current update whilst playing Warframe.

Like, it's the perfect "Podcast Game"
Super repetitive, super grindy, with enough RNG (ugh, seriously, it gets even worse with the new update) to drive a man insane.
But it's beautiful busy work when you're really bored/listening to podcasts.

Even better, play Warframe while listening to a podcast about Warframe where the hosts are talking about the current update whilst playing Warframe.
My friend has 841 Hours into it.
He's almost platinumed it.
So that kinda intrigues me to try

Warframe is a cool game with a lot of problems. Its got a ton of different weapons, and a lot of different characters you can use with them. The movement and shooting are pretty cool and satisfying, but there are some issues. Most guns function in their own cool special ways, and the modding system for weapons pretty much lets you make it your own with whatever you want to do stat wise. The problem is that you end up kinda getting pushed to whatever's optimal, cause eventually enemies become harder to kill without something good, like most games I guess. A lot of the bosses are either damage sponge DPS races (with heavily damaging attacks that are incredibly difficult to dodge), or they're damage sponges with one specific weak spot and hitting them anywhere else doesn't do damage. The game has cool movement with wallruns, wall climbing, doublejumps, and slides. Using these is pretty nice but there are a lot of times when it won't work how you want and it'll suck. Also melee weapons in this game have very little feedback when you're hitting stuff, even with most weapons' charged attacks. There are blocks and counters with the melee weapons but they really don't feel like they're there.

I think the biggest issue comes down to how the f2p system works, cause its gross. Its nice in that, you can get pretty much anything you want without spending money, you just have to invest time and effort instead of cash. You can even get the premium moneybucks without paying money if you get it from other players. The crafting system is great because it lets you feel like you're playing a scummy mobile game instead of a cool third person action game. To craft something you need a blueprint and materials, once you have both of those you spend the materials on the blueprint, and then both things disappear (unless its a fancy blueprint) and after a certain amount of real-life time elapses you get your thingy. Small things will usually be instantaneous, weapons and important crafting things will take 12/24 hours to complete, but you have the option of spending real money to finish it instantly. You can't just go to an in-game store and buy a gun you want without real money. Say for example you want a shotgun- you can go to the store and buy the blueprint with in-game money, then spend materials to make the blueprint and in about a day you get your shotgun. Every warframe and most fancy weapons require several blueprints (Warframes need 4, the blueprint for the warframe, then the systems, optics, and chassis. You build the last three separately and then combine them into the first.) and since the blueprints to build these things are almost always random drops from missions and bosses you do a lot of the same mission over and over until you get it, and then you go somewhere else for the materials you need to build it. The issue is that you have a limited number of warframe and weapon slots that you can only expand with real money, so the game kinda encourages making a thing, getting it to max level, and then deleting it and moving onto a new thing because in order to level up as a player and continue the story and gain access to other stuff, you need to level up weapons and warframes and after you reach the cap with one weapon, you get nothing for leveling up the same weapon. Missions that have a chance of dropping something you want will a lot of time time require you to craft a key to get into the mission, which takes time and resources, and even then you're at the mercy of rng which decides whether or not you get to spend another hour crafting a new key, just so you can get the blueprint you want to spend more time crafting a thing that lets you spend more time crafting the thing that gives you a cool gameplay thing.

Archwing missions suck and are zero fun to control, stealth missions are cool but they rely on platforming, and if you try to do them with randos someone will trip the alarm and you get to fail the mission and start over sometimes. Survival missions are fun and offer a challenge that ramps up over time, the main issue with them is if you want rewards from them, because the rewards you want will only show up at 20/30 minute marks of survival, and yet again the thing you get is tied to RNG so depending on how lucky you are you get to do the same mission for half an hour again.

For a f2p game it is very pretty, everything has a cool and unique appearance, your customization options are pretty nice, there are some nice butts. The f2p system is complete garbage and if you're a compulsive completionist or collector the game sucks you dry from either your will or your wallet.

So Atlus is making a new fantasy RPG IP. Some Persona dudes are involved.

C0FpPE9UQAA0J0R.jpg

persona huh

should be good
aid606055-728px-Do-an-Evil-Laugh-Step-4-Version-2.jpg

by which i mean it'll probably suck

When are we getting some Aegis Rim news? I don't think it's been mentioned this year.

When are we getting some Aegis Rim news? I don't think it's been mentioned this year.

When Vanillaware and George give a fuck to bring it up again. Last official news on it was September 15, 2015 which was it's TGS Trailer debut.

It's Dragon's Crown all over again where people had not heard anything on it since it's announcement and 2 years later new info starts surfacing like mad.

So how did 2016 stack up in gaming for you guys? Seems like it's as good a time as any to do this.

There were a lot of games that came out that I really enjoyed
  • X-Com 2 (Really strong sequel to a great reboot)
  • Darkest Dungeon (Lot of fun though hard to sit down and play sometimes)
  • Hitman (Bringing back one of the best video game series from the dead, needs a lot more work but a great start)
  • Total War Warhammer (Solid Total War, fun setting, fun factions)
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV Final (Not the best thing ever, but probably one of my favorite Mainlines games)
  • Street Fighter V (Needs work, but I've had a lot of fun)
  • Odin Sphere remake (It's Odin Sphere but better, what more could you want?)
  • Battlefleet Gothic Armada (Exactly what it should be, for better or worse)
  • Pony Island (Neat meta game)
  • Inside (Not much of a game, but neat experience)
And there are some games I know I still need to check out like Va-11 Hall-a (heard good things), Silver Case (Rerelease of Suda51's old game, I'm a huge fan of Killer7 and No More Heroes) and Shadow Tactics Blade of the Shogun (Haven't heard anything but it looks neat). And of course I need to actually play through The Last Guardian, I've waited 9 years (huge Ico and Shadow of the Colossus fan) and now that it's out I just haven't gotten around to it, when I have played it it's just such a weird feeling to actually have my hands on it, don't know if that makes sense to anyone else.

Honestly though, despite some really good games coming out, nothing really stuck me as OH MY GOD GAME OF THE YEAR HOLY SHIT throughout the year. In fact, leading up to these past couple days my strongest contenders were the Ni-oh Alpha test and the rerelease of Dragon's Dogma on PC (a game I'd already played at that), neither of which should obviously actually count, but that's where I was. Until a couple days ago when I bought a game I hadn't really heard anything about; Furi.

If you like action games, check out Furi. I'm not even past the fourth boss (final phase hurts) (beat him 10 minutes after writing this) and I absolutely love this game and it's my Game of the Year. It's a boss rush game that is a hybrid between a twin stick shooter and a really simple hack and slash, I don't really want to say too much about it, it's a simple game but a really fun one and one you should check out by playing and not watching. Seriously, it's great.

So what did you guys play?

Also, 2017 looks great already, even in the first few months it's pretty stacked.
  • Gravity Rush 2 (Didn't play the first, but this looks really cool)
  • Yakuza 0 (Yakuza is a solid series, this looks like the best yet)
  • Resident Evil Biohazard Biohazard Resident Evil (I'm really skeptical, but I actually enjoyed the demo, so hopeful)
  • Ni-oh (Alpha was fucking great, Beta was pretty great, can't wait)
  • Nier Automata (Nier but with pretty good gameplay, sounds too good to be true)
  • Persona 5

Last edited:
I haven't played any 2016 games. I think the games I played the most this year are Jojo Heritage for the Future and some strategy games, like Nobunaga's Ambition or Shogun 2 Total War. Shogun 2 is an enjoyable title, but I expected it to blow my mind and it didn't. I don't know, I didn't really like the campaign part of it and I don't really want to learn a million unit types just to build an army. Had fun playing the campaign with a friend though.

does dragon quest 7 count
because that's good

I played Pokemon Sun and it was one step forward, two steps back. That was pretty much it for this year.

I liked Furi a lot.

I played some great games but slowpoke as I am many of my favorites were not from this year.