• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

How do you think Umbrella will play?

The tongue grab looks like it'll be hunger mechanic related, costing.
Love the giant build up before smashing like a club.
Also love the poppins flight style.

Reactions: Holy Goose
so that's a lot of new info and moves! can't wait for the paper alpha!

didn't expect that run>grab, that's interesting.

Small notes on what I observed in the trailer. I'm just going to go off of what FC stated a few weeks ago and assume all of the unfinished animations are special attacks.

- J. LP is an instant overhead qualifier. It came out pretty quickly into her rising jump with enough hitstun to combo into either her J. MP or J. HP.

- 2HP is a launcher, maybe she'll have two.

- 4MP/6MP? vacuums on hit, could possibly be a low too? (EDIT: noticed she uses that spikey eye hug attack during the Eliza clip, which is a more likely 5MP candidate. )

- Air Umbrella Hang has air recovery, might function like Big Band J.HK where it's an alternate means for Umbrella to move around through teching.

- 2MP has huge range.

- Ground stomp attack is likely a normal, probably a 5HK or 2HK. I would imagine it'll get some water effects later on since she's splashing in a puddle.

Last edited:

Well, trapping opponents in a saliva bubble wasn't on my Umbrella bingo card, lol. If wonder if it can be mashed out of with inputs, like Stagger. Either way, seems like a heck of a way to lock down an opponent!

I wanna see Big Band in a bubble.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrono_Tata
Yeah trapping bubble after grab (is that her normal grab or a command grab?) is definitely unexpected for me lol. I expected it to be some type of projectile. Very interested what the properties for characters trapped in the bubble will be.

Also new unique grab frame for everyone yay.

Maybe she's a grappler, based on the amount of apparent command grabs that have been shown.

Maybe she's a grappler, based on the amount of apparent command grabs that have been shown.
I guess we'll have to see. Beowulf looked like (and was touted as) a grappler but it turned out he wasn't since most of his moves were hitgrabs.

Well, trapping opponents in a saliva bubble wasn't on my Umbrella bingo card, lol. If wonder if it can be mashed out of with inputs, like Stagger. Either way, seems like a heck of a way to lock down an opponent!

I wanna see Big Band in a bubble.
Now I feel very sad for Adam, because it's definitely something he gets on everyday occasion.

All jokes aside, it looks weird, but cool. Wonder how it will be implemented.

Small notes on what I observed in the trailer. I'm just going to go off of what FC stated a few weeks ago and assume all of the unfinished animations are special attacks.
I gave it a shot but most of these turned dead wrong lol.

they don't look too far off guesses to me. No teching after a bad landing from j.mk hang tho. rip

I hope nobody minds; I wasn't sure if this'd be appropriate for Umbrella's Alpha Discussion thread (yet).

The first time Umbrella fires it off, the eyeballs begin orbiting within the Reflector immediately. But the second time, the eyeballs don't start orbiting until the Reflector collides with Robo-Fortune. More importantly, Reflector goes farther the second time, too. Hungern doesn't seem to change Hunger States during the video, so I wonder what made them different?

Reactions: Holy Goose
I hope nobody minds; I wasn't sure if this'd be appropriate for Umbrella's Alpha Discussion thread (yet).

The first time Umbrella fires it off, the eyeballs begin orbiting within the Reflector immediately. But the second time, the eyeballs don't start orbiting until the Reflector collides with Robo-Fortune. More importantly, Reflector goes farther the second time, too. Hungern doesn't seem to change Hunger States during the video, so I wonder what made them different?
Seeing it's a reflector, it probably requires blocking projectiles like diamond deflector from bella

Seeing it's a reflector, it probably requires blocking projectiles like diamond deflector from bella
The problem is that you see it slow down before the enemy's projectile even comes out.
So I don't think that's it.
My personal theory is hold buttons = immediate slow down, tap buttons = full screen travel

Hungern didn't change states in the alpha trailer but used his starving command grab's long range from default so I don't think we can discount hunger states from the tweet. Plus I think people would still like the current implementation of the super to remain an option and it still has it's place in combos.

Would fit with the current design to give what is arguably the best version of this super (projectile nullification + sticky eyes) to Ravenous, maybe the delayed spinny eyes is default and/or overstuffed and the current alpha version is exclusive to starved?

Hungern didn't change states in the alpha trailer but used his starving command grab's long range from default so I don't think we can discount hunger states from the tweet. Plus I think people would still like the current implementation of the super to remain an option and it still has it's place in combos.

Would fit with the current design to give what is arguably the best version of this super (projectile nullification + sticky eyes) to Ravenous, maybe the delayed spinny eyes is default and/or overstuffed and the current alpha version is exclusive to starved?
Good point about it being a trailer - it could be a mock-up from a testing build so it might not be correspond to the hunger state, at least visually.

I have the opposite view of its Hunger state availability though. Since it's a projectile move, I think the projectile is more likely to be available in Overstuffed and/or Satiated. Visually it looks more like a Regurgitate (increases Hunger) move rather than a Swallow move, and it was said that in Overstuffed, she would get more access to projectile-spawning attacks.

I don't think that the super itself is limited by her hunger state just it's properties will change. To your point; Overstuffed and satiated get the eyeballs. So maybe we're looking at something like this:

Overstuffed: Slower energy shield + projectile nullification + sticky Eyeballs that cancel the shield
Satiated: Faster energy shield + non-sticky eyeballs that juggle
Ravenous: Only energy shield (probably the fastest and more limited range)
Starved: Current Alpha super, no projectiles

And the only reason I still give Ravenous a projectile property is because it's still not starving and Hungern does exude electric sparks in that state as well. I can imagine the idea is that Hungern expends the last of it's calories for that shield. And using the super pushes Umbrella to a lower hunger state except for the starving state.

I don't think that the super itself is limited by her hunger state just it's properties will change. To your point; Overstuffed and satiated get the eyeballs. So maybe we're looking at something like this:

Overstuffed: Slower energy shield + projectile nullification + sticky Eyeballs that cancel the shield
Satiated: Faster energy shield + non-sticky eyeballs that juggle
Ravenous: Only energy shield (probably the fastest and more limited range)
Starved: Current Alpha super, no projectiles

And the only reason I still give Ravenous a projectile property is because it's still not starving and Hungern does exude electric sparks in that state as well. I can imagine the idea is that Hungern expends the last of it's calories for that shield. And using the super pushes Umbrella to a lower hunger state except for the starving state.
Oh yeah I agree with you there. I also think it would just have different properties with projectile at higher fullness levels as well, not that the super will be locked out.

It's also worth noting that as of the latest alpha patch, the projectile does not seem to be affected by hunger state at all lol. Although I think this is to do more with the super not being finished yet, so we will probably see Hunger state having more interaction with it in a future patch.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
With the update, we got shown that it's related to keeping a button pressed to change the mode

Did they say there’d be ways to increase and decrease hunger without taunt or grabbing? Or even tied with moves themselves? imagine feeding the ice cream cone or so.

Did they say there’d be ways to increase and decrease hunger without taunt or grabbing? Or even tied with moves themselves? imagine feeding the ice cream cone or so.
Hunger should increase when the implement moves that spit up objects. At least one of those will also contribute to making more drool puddles so something more to work with.

Based on the latest animation stream, it's looking like the "Venom Fang" move is getting repurposed. Not so much Venom Fang now but more like a vertical DP. Probably will be Umbrella's equivalent to Napalm Trigger/Quake/Pillar series.

Considering that Salt Grinder and Tongue Twister are charge moves, I've been thinking that this "Hungern Fang" would be the charge move done with Heavy Punch. It may also be an "eat" attack that adds to the Hunger Meter, but is used to grab opponents out of the air.

But if it's also a DP? Like, with invincible start-up???

The way it shoots straight up makes me think it would be a charge down-up move. DP isn't really quite the right term I guess, more like a flash kick. But I could be totally wrong lol.

The way the official Twitter worded it ("adjustments to one of Umbrella's final special moves") made me think the concept of the move is being changed from the original Venom Fang-like utility to this more vertical version. But thinking about it, it could just be a variation of the move and the original move idea is still on the table? I assume they are still testing this move internally though so it probably could change more before we actually get it in the alpha.

Oh yeah. I especially like the Adam Dive move that allows Hungern to swallow him lol. Could have had several different follow-ups where Adam could be used differently. But ultimately I think it was a good idea that it's not used. Egret calls are kind of Para's signature and I don't think Umbrella should overlap with her too much.

I'm still holding on to Adam making it in as a playable character some day so not having him in Umbrella's attacks gives me more hope. ;-;

Oh yeah. I especially like the Adam Dive move that allows Hungern to swallow him lol
Always knew this was canon.
I'm still holding on to Adam making it in as a playable character some day so not having him in Umbrella's attacks gives me more hope. ;-;
Exactly the same. We need a playable Adam (and these two Egrets). Would be sad, if such concept will go to waste.
Also, Umbrella is pretty fine on her own (let's ignore Parasoul's story for a while). Having one Egret in her time-out animation is enough.

i hope it's still that arcing move tho it looks a bit different. her sliding move is a nice thing but would appreciate more specials with movement

Reactions: tristePinguino
Talking about specials, it was said before the latest content patch that she had 5 more specials left to be implemented right? With the addition of slide and bubble, that would imply there are 3 more to go.

My guess is that the bubble, which is currently on QCB.MP, should have 2 more variations on LP and HP, with different bubble speeds and/or trajectories. I doubt the animation for each will look much different so maybe it all counts as 1 special move, and doesn't count towards any of the 3 remaining slots.

[ B ]F.HP definitely need to have a move in order to close out the series. Since Grinder (LP) and Slide (MP) count as 2 different moves then I assume the HP variant will be its own move as well. That leaves 2 more slots.

Since she appears to be a charge character, she definitely would need to have charge down-up moves, which is what I think the frames that were re-animated are supposed to be. Let's say that they all count as 1 move with 3 different strengths, that leaves 1 more slot, which could be those original Venom Fang horizontal leaps? In which case they will probably be charge back-forward moves on kick buttons.

Either that or it will be a completely different move that we haven't seen yet. Anyone have ideas on what kind of moves they would like to see in order to close out her kit?

Last edited:
It would be fun to have a sort of anti air move, like umbrella throwing an ice cream cone in the air and then getting hungern to do a nasty bite covering all the space above and front of her as a hitgrab

Anyone have ideas on what kind of moves they would like to see in order to close out her kit?
It would be fun to have a sort of anti air move, like umbrella throwing an ice cream cone in the air and then getting hungern to do a nasty bite covering all the space above and front of her as a hitgrab
A grounded anti-air special would be neat, to help her relative lack of mobility.

That being said, I also hope we do get a horizontal "Hungern Fang" too. Just hoping Slurp 'n' Slide won't be her only mobile special, lol.

Anyone have ideas on what kind of moves they would like to see in order to close out her kit?
Another projectile that doesn't need to be triggered for damage. Could also be lobbed to cover the air midscreen.

A grounded anti-air special would be neat, to help her relative lack of mobility.

That being said, I also hope we do get a horizontal "Hungern Fang" too. Just hoping Slurp 'n' Slide won't be her only mobile special, lol.
I also would like the venom fang to have it's original horizontal trajectory.

Let's say that they all count as 1 move with 3 different strengths, that leaves 1 more slot, which could be those original Venom Fang horizontal leaps? In which case they will probably be charge back-forward moves on kick buttons.

Either that or it will be a completely different move that we haven't seen yet. Anyone have ideas on what kind of moves they would like to see in order to close out her kit?
Well, I guess Liam's post in the other thread answered this question. Looks like "Is this a pigeon?" will be that last special move.

pigeon.png

Looks like Hungern is spitting out something so maybe some sort of projectile? Not sure if the pigeon butterfly is an actual part of the move or just an animation Easter egg.

EDIT: Another fun thing dropped on the Discord: threshold level for Ravenous might change depending on certain conditions

unknown.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: orian34
Not sure if the pigeon butterfly is an actual part of the move or just an animation Easter egg.
1634110210843.png

EDIT: Another fun thing dropped on the Discord: threshold level for Ravenous might change depending on certain conditions

unknown.png
Probably connected to the super they have been teasing for a while.

those original Venom Fang horizontal leaps?
Maybe this special could have its trajectory affected by Hunger?

Oh yeah, I forgot they did tease this super already:

Yeah maybe doing the super will change the threshold for the rest of the match, kinda like Shiki in Type Lumina unlocking new moves after using his Arc Drive.
Just a quick question, but would something like this be considered an Install? If not, does it have a term?

Maybe this special could have its trajectory affected by Hunger?
I think it'd be cleaner if there were just two different inputs, :B::F: and :D::U: and they can be the same button strength or different but it would give us an option to either charge into either by using down-back.

Just a quick question, but would something like this be considered an Install? If not, does it have a term?
Hmm. I wouldn't consider it an install personally because for me an install should be limited time. I never really heard any specific term for it. Maybe an "unlock"?

However in Strive, Ky's Dragon Install lasts for the rest of the round so what do I know lol. *shrug*