• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Hyrule Warriors [Name Now Final] - A Collaboration Between Nintendo and Tecmo Koei for Wii U

Goodbye18000

Let's Player / Sonic Show Member / Canadian
Reaction score
Website
www.thesonicshow.org
Steam
Goodbye18000
PSN
Goodbye18000
Big Band Fukua
imVgOmb.png

Game Information

System: Wii U
Developers: ω-Force / Team NINJA
Publisher: Nintendo
Supervisor: Eiji Aonuma
Producers: Hisashi Koinuma, Yosuke Hayashi
Genre: Musou (hack and slash with strategic elements, often referred to in the west as a "button masher")
Release Date: August 14 (Japan)
Players:
- 1 Player Local
- 2 Player Local (GamePad and TV each a screen)
Price:
- Retail - 7,980 yen
- eShop - 6,980 yen
- Premium Box Set - 11,664 yen (Triforce shaped clock, and serial codes for 6 special costumes)

Summary
Hyrule Warriors, the imaginative upcoming game for the Wii U console, combines the action-packed game play of Tecmo Koei’s Dynasty Warriors series with the iconic characters and worlds from The Legend of Zelda series. In addition to the focused action game play of leading one soldier against a massive horde of enemies, the Dynasty Warriors series is also known for its epic storyline. In this game, players control Link as he faces a powerful new enemy – the evil sorceress Shia – and her army to rescue the captive Princess Zelda. For the first time ever, Princess Zelda’s loyal Hyrulean Captain Impa makes her debut as a playable character. Impa equips a huge sword and can perform powerful combos to defeat enemies. Many other surprising playable characters make appearances in Hyrule Warriors, and each playable character will have signature weapons and action animations.

The first stage of the game takes place in Hyrule Field, a location that will be very familiar to fans of The Legend of Zelda series. The game-play structure of most of the stages bears a close resemblance to the Dynasty Warrior games, so Hyrule Warriors is a game that can truly be enjoyed by fans of both The Legend of Zelda and the Dynasty Warrior series. Players must defend or reclaim areas by fighting against hordes of enemies and using different types of flashy and powerful moves. Players will encounter new enemies such as Sorceress Shia, but some familiar enemies like Bokoblins and Lizalfos from The Legend of Zelda series will also appear in the game.

Systems
- Equipping different weapons onto characters will change the way they fight, including speed focused one-handed swords to heavier weapons that focus on damage.
- Weapon upgrade system and character growth/improvement
- Musou action combined with the Zelda series' Z-targeting means you can avoid attacks and focus on enemy weak spots.
- Zelda series' spin attack appears instead of the Musou Ranbu (?) of the musou franchise.
- Bombs make an appearance, won't just be used for throwing at enemies.
- Several other characters are playable too. Aonuma was surprised by how many.

Confirmed playable characters
  • Link
    • Weapons
      • Master Sword and Shield
      • Fire Rod
  • Zelda
    • Weapon
      • Magic
  • Impa
    • Weapon
      • Large hooked sword
  • Lana
    • Weapon
      • Books and magic shield
  • Agitha
    • Weapon
      • Parasol and bugs
Confirmed Enemies
  • Soldiers
    • Bokoblins (Skyward Sword design)
    • Fat Bokoblins (Original, based on Skyward Sword)
    • Stalfos (Ocarina of Time)
  • Officers
    • Lizalfos (Skyward Sword)
    • King Dodongo (Ocarina of Time)
    • Darknuts (Twilight Princess)
    • Twilit Dragon Argorok (Twilight Princess)
  • High Commanders
    • Shia
    • 灼熱狂戦士ヴァルガ The Scorching Berserker: Valga
    • 暗黒魔術師ウィズロ The Magician of Darkness: Wizro
Confirmed locations
  • Hyrule Plains
  • Lanaryu Gorge
  • Twilight Palace

i_41629art1-486x640.jpg

480732-640x360.jpg

480726-640x360.jpg

480733-640x360.jpg

480729-640x448.jpg

F.A.Q.

"What is the gameplay like? Will it be more Zelda or more Dynasty Warriors?"
From what we have seen so far, it will contain mostly Dynasty Warriors gameplay, with elements of Zelda such as item finding and puzzles put on the back burner. If they are gone completely, we do not know yet. As for the core gameplay, we can assume it will follow a similar layout to the Warriors games, like this:
fRI98D8.png

(We do not know what the L/R/ZL/ZR will function for, as those change from game to game)

The combo system works like this:
By pressing Light Attack or Heavy over and over, you can do a basic combo. However, if you change the button you are pressing halfway through, you will basically move into a different combo all together. The last move of a combo when you finish with a Heavy Attack instead is usually a devastatingly large move, so just pressing Light Attack over and over is not always the best choice for dealing with large crowds. Musou Attacks, aka Supers, are generally for large crowds and freezes them in place during the cinematic. This does also work on bosses.

The point of most levels is to complete the mission, which is almost always to capture the enemy territories (though not always). The maps look like this:
mj9thy.png

It can be daunting at first to look at, but once you know what to do, it's not hard at all. The red dots are enemy brigades. They consist of roughly 10 troops each with a Officer in the center. When you kill the Officer, the troops scatter and will not do any harm. If you don't kill the Officer, they can respawn and are not technically "defeated". The large red dots with the design on them are enemy Commanders, who are usually important or playable characters. They take a lot of hits to take down and have their own Musou gauge to do specials. Defeating them is not tied to getting the territory, as that is determined by how many KO's you get in the territory. Conversely, the enemies can steal your territories by KOing a lot of your army in your territory.

There are also conversations between troops and allies going on throughout the battle constantly. Whether it will be in English or Hylian, we will have to see.

While some may say that it is a brainless button masher (and I will admit you will be doing certain combos over and over), it does take some thought on where to go next, if you want to defend or attack. Don't expect too much Zelda, but that does not mean it will be a bad game.

Will there be multiple playable characters?
Yes!

Why is Nintendo using this gameplay style for Zelda Wii U?
This is game is unrelated to Zelda Wii U entirely. Think of it like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon or Persona 4 The Arena. Nintendo is currently working on Zelda Wii U, while simply over-viewing this game. Tecmo Koei is making this game and is not involved at all with Zelda Wii U.

Where does this take place in the timeline? Is it canon?
Confirmed non-canon, and takes elements from every part of the series!
Will this game have multiplayer?
Local two player is confirmed with one player on TV and the other on the GamePad. Online may happen as well, judging from how other newer Warriors games have it.

What games do you recommend to try if I wanted to see if I would like the gameplay style or not?
If you have a Playstation 3, I highly recommend One Piece: Pirate Warriors, both the first and the second. They are amazingly fun games and show off how creative the team can get with designing attacks for non-conventional characters. I myself do not care for the Dynasty Warriors series myself as I find the characters a bit bland, but it's Japanese counterpart, Samurai Warriors, is very fun as well. There is one of it on the Wii, I'm fairly certain. Capcom also has their own version, Sengoku Basara, which is similar in style and structure but a bit more casual (and a lot less historically accurate. They did not have Giant Mechas in Sengoku-period Japan)

And with that, discuss away!

Last edited:
I'd say this should be in the Zelda thread. But this is too big and lovingly crafted. So.
Keep it here, I say.
I'm hyped for it, certainly really hope it'll be great.

All I want is playable Ganondorf, Impa, and....I dunno, Yuga?

Reactions: Goodbye18000
I'd say this should be in the Zelda thread. But this is too big and lovingly crafted.

The problem is this game is a major base breaker due to it's vastly different gameplay style. People either love it or hate it with a passion, so putting it in a general thread is a bad idea. There'd be a lot of arguing.

This is a safe haven for people who do like the style, as well as not to flood the Zelda thread with character requests and updated information.

I am in the Niche part of the fanbase who wants both Groose and Fi playable.

Cuz I love Fi to bits (technical problems aside) and who doesnt love Groose? if you say you don't you're an even BIGGER liar than Woolie.

As much as I love Groose (and holy man do I love Groose), what gameplay style would he have? They'd most likely have to give him an original weapon, like Impa/The Generic Sheikah that was in the trailer.

As for Fi, there's a character in Sengoku Basara 3 that she could be like: Tsuruhime. One of her supers involves her getting the ability to skate everywhere, ending with a huge twirl firing arrows EVERYWHERE, and I could see Fi doing that. You know her dance she does when you upgrade the Master Sword? I could see her dance battling everywhere. It would be beautiful.

You see Link wielding the Master Sword in the trailer though, so who knows?
And if this isn't too long after Skyward Sword, I can understand if Fi would make sense

what if Groose fought like Gan Ning? and his super was exactly like Gan's DW4 Musou mode? the one where he blindly runs forward and can cause some pretty insane shenanigans.

NOOOOO! dont kill Fi! ;A;/

I haven't really played Skyward Sword beyond the first dungeon, but there has to be some reason Fi is never in a human form again
(aside from the fact she wasn't designed in other games yet)

I haven't really played Skyward Sword beyond the first dungeon, but there has to be some reason Fi is never in a human form again
(aside from the fact she wasn't designed in other games yet)
basically Fi BECOMES the master sword. she is the spirit of the sword and is the origin of the sword as well.

As for characters I would like to see, I want to see Ganondorf as a fist fighter (like Ieyasu from Sengoku Basara 3 and 4) and if possible, using his awesome scrapped design from the Oracles games
ganny_oracles.jpg

I'll totally also take huge blue pig Ganon, with the trident. I could totally see him playing exactly like Whitebeard from Pirate Warriors
Ganon_(Oracle_of_Ages_%26_Oracle_of_Seasons).png

Capcom also has their own version, Sengoku Basara, which is similar in style and structure but a bit more casual (and a lot less historically accurate. They did not have Giant Mechas in Sengoku-period Japan)!
BASARA HIJACK!

- Same genre and themes obviously but that is pretty much as far as the similarities go these days.
- Casual? Quite the opposite. The combat system in Basara is far more refined than Musou. Each character has a distinct perk and play style. That's why a Basara game has about 30 PCs and a Musou game has around 90. But don't take my word for it.
- Sengoku-period Japan wasn't overrun by overly dressed Caucasian metrosexuals either. Honda Tadakatsu being depicted as a giant robot is a reference to both his martial prowess (he was celebrated as the strongest warrior in the era, indeed that is what his title - Sengoku Saikyou - means) and legends that he was never injured in battle. And if you ask me, that's far more historically accurate than Koshosho's pink afro.

Tsuruhime. One of her supers involves her getting the ability to skate everywhere, ending with a huge twirl firing arrows EVERYWHERE.
It's her Basara art (to those out of the loop, it's basically a "super"). Not a ability.
And she's the dullest character in the game. -_-"

Sorry, chief but I can't let the only good thing Capcom still does be slandered like that. :P

Nonetheless, kudos for the topic. It's very well constructed and informative. Truly.

Sorry about that. I played Basara 3 a while ago and so it's not as fresh in my mind as the other Warriors games. The latest one I got addicted to was Pirate Warriors 2, which, even as not the biggest One Piece fan, is freaking fun.

Reactions: Balder
No need for a apology, it's all good. I'm not going HERETIC MUST PAY mode or anything, it's just that it kinda grinds my gears when people immediately dismiss Basara in favor of Musou because the later is "realistic". Neither one is.
Musou kinda follows the order of events and whatnot while Basara's "historical accuracy" tends to stay within character designs, usually in subtle and sometimes symbolic manners. A good example would be Oda Nobunaga: his western styled armor and using a shotgun are references to the real life Nobunaga being one of the first (if not the first) Japanese to wear western clothes and implement firearms in his tactics.

To add something to the topic proper, I'd like to see Ganon in the style of his Wind Waker incarnation simply because I think it was really refreshing to see a corpulent character that wasn't a joke. Also, I think it's the optimal combination of classical and new.

Ganondorf_Wind_Waker.png

Reactions: TailsWorld1
I actually prefer Basara to Samurai Warriors, simply because, well
tumblr_mzn877SUXQ1rxrxp7o1_500.jpg

20140116_basara4_08.JPG

I hope we get some sick costumes in HW. I want to see that Magic Armor from Twilight Princess actually get some use (minus Rupee-eating)

Mostly really the only thing I want in Hyrule Warriors is some characters that normally don't see action kicking ass.
Like, how would y'all feel about a badass redesign of Tingle kicking all sorts of Monster Ass?

I actually prefer Basara to Samurai Warriors, simply because, well
AH! You're well on the loop, Sir. Dante Masamune just got shown today. orz

Like, how would y'all feel about a badass redesign of Tingle kicking all sorts of Monster Ass?
If you redesign Tingle, he stops being Tingle.
Japan are very fond of him so I'd certainly count on Tingle, maybe as a Lethal Joke Character.

I'm more for some obscure characters, maybe even some one-offs. How cool would it be to swing around the ball and chain as Onox like Kanbe from Basara?
General_Onox_Artwork_(Hyrule_Historia).png

You know, I'd totally be fine if they just say FUCK IT to the canon and bring in whomever they want.

Bring in Midna and Wolf Link goin' all Amaterasu on their ass.

Throw in Bryne. You remember Bryne, right? Dude with a bionic arm in Spirit Tracks.

What about the Hero's Shade from Twilight Princess? That'd be neato Mr. Mosquito.

What about a non-Chibi Tetra being a pirate, yar

Also I want windwaker link in there. he's spunky and probably a better kid Link than Young link. also he's the 2nd most sassy link.

Ghirahim is at the top of my list. Every since I beat him in Skyward Sword a bunch of times I thought he'd be awesome to play as in Smash 4. But this would be better.

I just want Ganon to be the Cao Cao

and Tingle to be the Lu Bu

Can we like.
Also get that cute witch from Oracle of Ages/Seasons and Link Between worlds playable?
I concur with this request.

When are we going to see Ganondorf fighting with his Smash Bros. hand-to-hand style?

Not counting Zelda \ Sheik and Ganondorf, my most wanted playable characters are Ghirahim, Vaati, Zant, and SS Impa. Byrne, Twinrova, Yuga, and Tingle would be cool too. I also wouldn't mind seeing Dark Link as long as they made an attempt at differentiating him from regular Link.

Reactions: Jutsei
When's Lu Bu?

When's Little Mac

when's Samus
As I previously stated, please understand.

whens Luigi?

P-please understand...

When's Little Mac

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO FUCKING SAY IT
NOBODY LISTENS TO IWATA
"OHHHH NINTENDO IS GOING TO MAKE MARIO ON iPHONE BECAUSE THE WIIU IS A FAILURE"
NO
I FUCKING SAID MARIO WOULD NEVER BE ON HANDHELD
NOBODY LISTENS TO THE QUIET LITTLE JAPANESE MAN

PLEASE.
FUCKING.
UNDERSTAND.

Seriously?
I mean.
Seriously?
Can we not derail this good thread?

Anyway, I want Yuga.
dont you remember? this is skullheart.
where the focus on topics dont matter.
its not a real skullheart thread until it derails at least once.

seems like it would be a bit too soon for a new trailer.

but maybe a little more detail about the title would be reasonable.