• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Idea for EVO, please help!

Which option do you think is most convenient to do this? (Please read the thread first!)

• Code donations

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • Money donations

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Both

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters
What about giving people a demo? Make the game free for a small amount of time (say a week or two) so that they get a chance to play it. When people getting something for free, they're more likely to use it. The reason i bought skullgirls in the first place is because psn had an Indie sell and i thought "why not?" Just give them a chance to play and if they like it they'll come back for more.
This has been done. Skullgirls was free for a few days on Steam and I think is still free on PS+.

Skullgirls is at 3.49€ right now, glad I waited to buy some copies !

Guys, less than an hour left. Make 4 people happy for the price of one. Skullgirls is $3.75 for the next 40 minutes or so on Steam.

How the fuck do I purchase this fucking four pack as a gift?

Like mentionned earlier, you can't buy a four pack if you already own the game...

If the sale happens ever again you have to buy the game's individually. When you get a four pack only three can be gifts.

That's fucking dumb and inconvenient.

Anyway, ten copies of Skullgirls. I await your orders, @guitalex2007
For the time being, everyone keep the copies in your gift inventory. I'll set up an inventory spreadsheet and then we'll figure the rest out.

For the moment, you need to decide how many (if any) you'd rather give to competitors than people who just sit down to learn Skullgirls. I will make note of that.

I bought a few 4 packs in the last few minutes of the sale.
I would not be interested in giving codes out to anyone who did not enter the tournament.

As for the logistics of giving out codes, I would also only give them that code when they are knocked out of the bracket. This will prevent people just signing up to the event, taking a code and not entering.

Couldn't buy any 4 packs, but I have 3 copies of the game (plus all the DLCs for each version) in my Steam Inventory at the moment!
And I agree with all of what Cellsai said, seems pretty logic to give the codes that way...

So wait, will the side tourney have last minute, on-site registrations?

Sounds like a plan... i wish they had seperate vouchers that can be redeemed on PSN and XBL like with some games... you input the code and download it... like a download voucher... what if the person doesnt have a PC? but I guess giving away codes for steam it is then

Sounds like a plan... i wish they had seperate vouchers that can be redeemed on PSN and XBL like with some games... you input the code and download it... like a download voucher... what if the person doesnt have a PC? but I guess giving away codes for steam it is then
Yup. There's only so accommodating we can be with this stuff.

Who's running the side tourney? They should probably be informed about this if they don't know already.

Ok so let's take note of how many copies we have so far. I got 5. Verdant got 10, Cellsai got 5 exclusively for tourney competitors (and I agree on giving codes afterwards). Arnaudr got 3 copies with DLC.

That gives us 23 copies, 5 of which are exclusively for participants (still deciding on mine) and 3 of each DLC.

I'd rather my copies go to people who would actually play the game, BTW.

Reactions: ashxu
I'd rather my copies go to people who would actually play the game, BTW.
Does that include people who learn at EVO or just competitors?

I'm gunna sign up at the door, gimme swag plz

Sorry, I actually bought three 4-packs. So that's 9 copies?
I can't do math. Much less Steam math :p

I'm gunna sign up at the door, gimme swag plz
Ok see you there lol

Reactions: Rance
I was trying to buy a 4 pack but Steam wouldn't let me purchase anything higher than a singiular copy.

I was trying to buy a 4 pack but Steam wouldn't let me purchase anything higher than a singiular copy.
That's because you can't buy what you own twice, and multi packs will always have one copy for you. So you can't buy a pack as gifts, or for yourself. Only able to buy one copy at a time then choose as gift.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thrasher08
And a couple notes. You can't buy 2/4 packs if you already own the game, it's a quirk with the Steam system.

You can't buy any of the bundles even as gifts if you already own the game. Would I need to make a new account to do that? That's odd.
If you don't own the game, can you gut 4-packs and give them as gifts? Is that a thing? If not, seems like code donations at $7.50 each will have to be it. That's legitimately disappointing.

Like mentionned earlier, you can't buy a four pack if you already own the game...

Reading the thread might answer some of your questions :PUN:

Also, should the first post in the thread updated with the number of copies we have?

Does the vouchers come with squigly? Also? I know its for the game only but squigly now costs $4.99 and big bands free so we dont gotta worry about him for now so all theyll be missing is squigly and the extra color pack... should we donate some of those too?

Does the vouchers come with squigly? Also? I know its for the game only but squigly now costs $4.99 and big bands free so we dont gotta worry about him for now so all theyll be missing is squigly and the extra color pack... should we donate some of those too?
Nah fuck that. I'm giving games and nothing else. They can sort the rest out themselves if they actually want to commit to the game :P

I guess if you have someone you trust that wants it that can help, since you can trust them to just trade the three other games back to you

Reactions: Cellsai
But won't that generate only three gift copies anyways? In which case the price of the 4 pack is the same as 3 individual gift copies, which is what you're getting...
Yup. I realized this after I got them ;D
Thought I'd point out the loophole anyways.

This is a really cool idea. One thing I haven't seen mentioned, though: what happens if there are Steam codes left over after EVO?

This is a really cool idea. One thing I haven't seen mentioned, though: what happens if there are Steam codes left over after EVO?
We could potentially hold raffles and give the money to lab 0?
That's the first thing that popped into my head.

meh just raffle them off on twitter or something

Give them to me and let me trade them for SG trading cards.

Real talk, just give em away on here or in a raffle as said above.

Nah fuck that. I'm giving games and nothing else. They can sort the rest out themselves if they actually want to commit to the game :P

Hmph! that was a funny as hell answer lol! but thats cool i guess that is plausible at least were giving them the game that should be good enough and for the remaining copies left over? hello!! isnt there an EVO next year!?! just keep em if you can or whatever

I like the idea of having a free copy of Skullgirls be the consolation prize for everyone who entered the tournament (for those that don't already own it).

Is a $5000 pot bonus not enough for these people?

At this rate, fuck 'em.

http://shoryuken.com/2014/06/25/killer-instinct-at-evo-2014-boosted-with-10000-pot-bonus-from-razer/

http://shoryuken.com/2014/06/20/arc...blue-chronophantasmas-prize-pool-at-evo-2014/

http://shoryuken.com/2014/05/29/ban...kken-tag-tournament-2-prize-pool-at-evo-2014/

http://shoryuken.com/2014/04/25/cap...evo-2014s-ultra-street-fighter-iv-prize-pool/

So you can see why just having $5k into the pot isn't enough, right? Learning a new game, then competing in something that won't even pull a fraction of the other games, which means there's more money in other games still.

Not saying $5k is anything to scoff at, but when other, more established games with a tournament scene do even the same amount (as is the case of TTT2), it does not bode well.

So let's do what we can to bring people into the game at EVO.

Last edited: