• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Indivisible: Lab Zero's Action-RPG! (General Discussion)

That reminded me to check my status. They actually approved me in november. Took 'em 3 months. Now I can pester Ravi there =3

Reactions: Wenzel
(Off Topic) Since December I made a account on NeoGAF just to read all Ravi updates, and can´t post yet, its GAF activation accounts slow or something?

Took me a couple months, yeah. It's a weird process, even after requiring a non-free email.

Ravi popped up on GAF. Nothing much new though: they're figuring out their options for office, creating project bible and stuff. No news on anime studio till spring it looks like.
Ah, the Project Bible

"And on the Second Month, Mike Z said 'Let there be Sequence Breaks', and it was good." Mike Z 1:14

Took me a couple months, yeah. It's a weird process, even after requiring a non-free email.

And then they ban you for having an opinion a mod doesn't like. :P

Oh, I'm all fidgety, just waiting for the start of the production info flow.

Reactions: ArgonBern
"And on the Second Month, Mike Z said 'Let there be Sequence Breaks', and it was good." Mike Z 1:14
And the Mike Z tried to clarify, saying "Behold! If the path was actually planned and put there by a developer, it's not actually a sequence break. And so we can't actually plan sequence breaks, by definition, but we can encourage nonlinear progression." And the people did shake their heads in conundrum, and decided to put this in one of the miscellaneous books with the tax laws and instructions on how to prepare goat.

Reactions: Cheesedragon
Non free email? I've never seen that before.

Another Indivisible video. If I had more time I'd polish some of those, it's super fun experimenting. This game needs a training room and a combo counter! :D

Reactions: missingno
Hope we get an awesome punching bag for training mode. Not a literal one, but you know, like a creature set up with infinite HP that maybe enjoys pain and thanks you for your combos.

180px-Mokujin_-_Full-body_CG_Art_Image_-_Tekken_6.png
Mokujin
hqdefault.jpg
Trunked (near infinite HP, made to let you practice combos)

Sandbag.png

okay this one's an actual punching bag but he apparently loves being abused

Don't we already have a friendly neighborhood punching bag?

View attachment 12773

Hey that's not a nice thing to say about Hoboryu, he's just down on his luck man

beating up hobos is not very ethical

Hope we get an awesome punching bag for training mode. Not a literal one, but you know, like a creature set up with infinite HP that maybe enjoys pain and thanks you for your combos.

Don´t worry, we already got one !

latest

Don´t worry, we already got one !

latest

mfw

How do you explain Filia, then

Please, she's homeless, not a hobo. There's a major difference between those things. And don't you bring vagabonds and bums into this argument.

Reactions: Wenzel
Question to Ravidrath on GAF said:
What are your plans for the world map? Is the entire world/planet going to be one interconnected world like the entire planet of Zebes was interconnected in Super Metroid or would it be more like say Order of Ecclesia where you have a standard world map with different locales you can quick travel to but each other was a fully explorable locale. That is to say if, hypothetically, the prototype level were to be in the final game, could you travel from there to any other place in the game by foot or warp or would you eventually leave the place to go to a world map screen?
His answer said:
As for the world, we have a rough plan.

Right now the plan is that the initial areas will be connected ala Metroid, and at the start of the second arc you'll go to a port town.

From the port town, you'll be able to take a boat to a number of regions, and you can play through them in any order you choose.

We don't want these areas to be easy if you do them in a certain order, so the first time you enter one of these freely-selectable regions it'll set the enemy strength for that region and lock it there. So it'll be one-time scaling so you can play these regions in whichever order you want and still have a decent challenge, and they'll still be at that strength when you backtrack there.

Once you complete one of those regions, you'll be able to access an underground cave network that connects all regions, allowing you to return to previous regions Metroid-style, find secrets, etc. And once you make it back to one of them, it'll unlock fast travel there.

Again, this is all super rough and could very well change, but that's our current plan to balance story, exploration, convenience, and difficulty.

I'm liking the sound of that. It reminds me of a game that I can't quite place my finger one.

BUT we also got a confirmation of two arcs... however we're still missing information on the best arc

the tournament arc

When can we do the 81st Budovisible Tenkaimike-Z tournament

Reactions: Stairwayyy
Sounds cool. Will there be a challenge run setting that scales every zone's enemies to their hardest version?

"underground"?
...I hope not too underground
cause didn't Ahad say hell was down there in one them streams?
can't imagine travel through hell being a convenient way to travel

"underground"?
yo idk... Hell could be fun. Ride on the current of the Styx with Charon.

"underground"?
They are connected only in the center of the Earth disc. In other areas you'll just fall into the void from what I can understand.

right so fall in a void or hell!
boy do feel sorry for the npc who dug too deep and find that out

Reactions: Covenant
That world map plan looks very interesting and exciting! Except for the scaling thing, which I can see getting exploited a bit. Don't know if that's intentional.

Still, we're going to have a beta so there's only one way to find out how it would work! :D

Gonna meet some TMNTs while they're underground...

And we're at 1,910K. Nice to see people are still throwing money at L0. Can't wait till we cross 2m which will mean L0 will actually bring in more money than 505 Games. :D

Last edited:
That world map plan looks very interesting and exciting! Except for the scaling thing, which I can see getting exploited a bit.
How so? If you think about Super Metroid, this would be like doing a reverse boss order speedrun, where enemies in Lower Norfair would be easier, while enemies in Kraid's Lair would be insanely harder. Either way, you'd still end up with similar stats by Tourian, and Mother Brain would still be the final boss.

Of course, SM's map design makes this a very loose analogy, but assuming a game was intentionally designed around this degree of choice, I don't see how the scaling could be exploited very much. I'm more curious to see how this might affect the order of weapon upgrades though, or team balance. Picking up Naga Rider early might be the best choice no matter what!

Can't wait till we cross 2m which will mean L0 will actually bring in more money than 505 Games. :D
Don't forget about that Prototype money. They'd at least need to hit that Bonus Dungeon stretch goal before they could start making that claim. Still, I'm with you, it's great to see people still supporting the game!

How so? If you think about Super Metroid, this would be like doing a reverse boss order speedrun, where enemies in Lower Norfair would be easier, while enemies in Kraid's Lair would be insanely harder. Either way, you'd still end up with similar stats by Tourian, and Mother Brain would still be the final boss.

Of course, SM's map design makes this a very loose analogy, but assuming a game was intentionally designed around this degree of choice, I don't see how the scaling could be exploited very much. I'm more curious to see how this might affect the order of weapon upgrades though, or team balance. Picking up Naga Rider early might be the best choice no matter what!
It sorta depends how they implement it. The first thing I thought when I read that was, ok, I'm going to visit every area immediately and set all of them to the lowest possible level before I even start trying to actually complete them. I assume they're not gonna let you do that, since it's so obvious. But that's one example of how it could be exploited.

Oh I know what this reminds me of

It's Link to the Past / Link Between Worlds. Linear start, but halfway switches to a choose-your-own-adventure style. I love that. I mean obviously it's not the same, what with them being entirely different genres, but it's similar.

Pretty much what mcpeanuts said, but balance that and you can get something.

Oy, Ravidrath with that "saying things before asking people what we're really doing" tech. :^P I dunno that the scaling stuff will be quite that way, but whatever.
It sorta depends how they implement it. The first thing I thought when I read that was, ok, I'm going to visit every area immediately and set all of them to the lowest possible level before I even start trying to actually complete them. I assume they're not gonna let you do that, since it's so obvious. But that's one example of how it could be exploited.
Or perhaps it could be implemented as: all regions scale themselves to your current strength when you enter them, and only when you clear a particular region does it lock the difficulty for that region from then on. So whichever one was easiest for that playthrough is still easiest when you return after beating it, but you don't get to determine that without beating it so it isn't exploitable.
And of course there's the fact that we could easily prevent you from leaving a region after entering it, until you clear it. "Hey, now take me here, please." "....no." Since it's arbitrary order for tackling them, not necessarily arbitrary anything after entering one.

Don't forget about that Prototype money. They'd at least need to hit that Bonus Dungeon stretch goal before they could start making that claim.
I'm pretty sure they meant "more money for Indivisible", not "more money than 505 makes".

Ah, thanks for typing that Mike. I was starting to worry that my reply post on the subject was going into Juju territory. Ideas Thread feels like the only safe place these days.

I was thinking the one you enter first is locked to difficulty 1, and if you leave it and go to another level that one will be set to difficulty 2 whether or not you finished the first one. Trying to exploit this would just give you that RBO-style run, enter them all once to set their difficulties then finish them in the opposite order. Which would be a fun kind of exploit, letting you make the game harder rather than easier!

@Ravidrath post

I would think no scaling would be better in a non-linear world. Part of the fun in exploration is survival and not knowing if you are completely ready for whats next. Just have areas with partially set difficulty levels. That way you may actually die cause you may go to an area that you aren't ready for. The difficulty of each non scaled location may encourage you to go a certain route but it wouldn't force you. It may make you want to find work arounds to beat things in the non encouraged order. which is fun too.

I say partially set because some in game story plot or whatever could change the hardest area into the easiest area or vice versa depending on player choices.

From most things that i've played scaling up as you go pretty much makes it so you don't lose cause the monsters are always at your level until you are near the end of a level then there is usually a spike in difficulty. (the ff-13 series didn't feel like this till I grind-ed my way to a god)

I guess in the long run, like ravidarth said, scaling as you go makes games keep moderate challenge and That's good for multiple play throughs too but it could make the game feel easy. No scaling can make the first play through really challenging/frustrating but that also makes successfully beating levels more rewarding.

How would scaling work in a rpg not focused on grinding? My first thought was more enemies, more enemy health, better ai, but what would these enemy traits be scaling to since I'm guessing you won't have a level?