• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

...Josh's struggle to not suck...

isn't neutral damaging your opponent from a long range so that they can't retaliate or w/e?
i.e., titan knuckle, fugazi knuckle, squigly j.hp, napalm footsies, eliza's servants???

Neutral is anything that happens when neither player has advantage

Trying to get into a position where you DO have advantage (either bullying the opponent into the corner, or landing a hit on them, or forcing them into doing something that leaves them at frame disadvantage, etc..)

If you think "SG isn't played in neutral", then you think both players just do random stuff until one guy lands a lucky hit and then goes into mixups
Which might very well be how your playstyle looks; this is more effective in SG than a lot of other games
But it isn't exactly the end-all truth as to how SG should be played..

You only really get to play neutral in skullgirls when both players are on equal footing. It's one of the hardest parts about learning the game, but if you keep beating at it you'll get there eventually. I would suggest learning to block, pushblock, and punish. You cant play neutral if your opponent doesn't respect you.

Neutral in simple terms: controlling space.

Point to neutral is doing things to get out of neutral. Preferably on the offensive things once you're out of neutral. whoever can control space the best and oppress into the enemy's space will win via setplay.

Discovery day 1:
optimized instant air dash input is upforward, forward (once I get this down air resets will be a joke)
the j.hk midscreen combo is only possible if the last air string is delayed slightly

I don't know if we all are seeing neutral as the same thing.
I see neutral as playing footsies and attempting to confirm into combos. So maybe I'm just misinterpreting what neutral is.
Neutral encompasses those things. It also encompasses understanding the range of your attacks, the range of your opponent's attacks, his possible approach methods, your own, and the possible hypothetical variables that lie therin. 'Neutral' is a nice general term people in the fighting game use to describe these concepts, so your definition of neutral is correct. It just may mean something completely different from someone who plays KOF vs USF4 vs Skullgirls vs Marvel.

Reactions: dMags
So after a set to what ever with Engarde I figured out several things:
1. I don't ever use air footsies (Now I figured out that this was a thing after watching some KOF and realized how powerful it is so need to start using that)
2. People press buttons on wake up in this game constantly which blows up a lot of my setups.
3. I still can't reset to save my life so 15 hours down the drain
4. Best approach on bella is to neutral jump her
5. Hard knockdowns are god like and I need to set them up more ( So what that means is I think using mp fireball, BFF at the end of combos is more useful then drill due to the large amount of oki that can be utilized out of BFF)
6. Just blocking is not optimal in this game.
7. I need to stop jumping and stand my ground
8. I need to remember that my opponent is human and is vulnerable to the same things that I am so aggression, mind games, and fainting moves are useful tactics
9. WHY CAN'T I RESET WITH FILIA!!!!!!!!!!!!
10. Need to runstop more.
11. I don't understand neutral at all................
12. What is neutral???
13. neutral..
14. neutral
15. I'm a God (no I'm not cause what's neutral?)

lastly I need to learn each characters bnb and try to learn the resets out of them cause as of right now every character that I have learned I can play against effectively and every character I don't know I'm free to like REALLY FREE!!

So I'm an idiot.... Yes I know this is common knowledge at this point. But you can just jump to avoid low throw mixups!?!?!? And you can just block low then immediately throw to avoid a throw??? This is literally blowing my mind how the hell did I miss all this simple shit when I started playing this game. I kid you not the fact that certain air normals beat throws and the fact that it's kind of safe along with the previous information is stupidly useful. And there's preblock in this game!?!?!!?! Literally I can't.... I have finally achieved enlightenment I now understand

But you can just jump to avoid low throw mixups!?!?!?
Low will catch you in jump startup/preblock.

And you can just block low then immediately throw to avoid a throw???
Throw startup is 7(8? I think 7) frames, which is the speed of most lights, so:
I grab, you block, you get thrown.
I IAD overhead, you get hit.
I do a plus-on-block light, you block it. Now I do another, and you get hit out of grab startup.
It's too few frames to react to, so that plan will only work if I specifically do:
Light -> grab.
Light -> [call assist] block.

Best approach on bella is to neutral jump her
Unless they expect you to jump.

Just blocking is not optimal in this game.
Took this long for you to realize that one?

I really think I can help you with your filia resets. If we're plaing SG at the same time and you want to practice, just message me.

I'm really slow at figuring stuff out like this. I'm used to playing patiently and waiting for my opponent to make a mistake. In this game I don't have the luxury of waiting nor do I have the reaction time needed to play patiently. Also @MysteriousJ yeah I would love the help. I seem to be missing a fundamental understanding of Filia and no amount of banging my head on my desk for hours seems to fix that.

So another realization I've had. I need faster characters to play reactionary so RIP Bella and welcome back valentine hopefully now I can provide you with a team worth something and not just assists. So I'm going back to my original team val/fukua/filia. BUT JOSH THIS IS THE 4TH TIME IN THE LAST 2 MONTHS YOUVE CHANGED TEAMS!!!!

now that I have a fairly good Fukua and a decent Filia I can actually play my old team again and hopefully not suck so much

what do you mean when you say "faster characters so I can play reactionary", meaning like...faster walk/run speeds? Fast normals? faster reversals?

big band SSJ is only 2 frames + your reaction time ;) pretty darn fast ( i know this isn't the type of stuff you're talking about but I wanted to say it anyway )

My idea of speed is being full screen and being able to run down my opponent. Bella can kind of do that but lacks the ability to change her direction. Val is one of the fastest characters in the game and also has one of the best full screen punishes (bypass) this not only allows me to shorten distances but allows me to control every section of the screen. Val also has a projectile and air dash which I really miss having. So now that I have a more solid core my val can actually get some stuff done. And even if I lose her I still have my secondary team in reserve fukua/filia so it's kind of good. Val is also a guessing pressure based character. I'll probably change my mind in two weeks any ways

Reactions: dMags
My idea of speed is being full screen and being able to run down my opponent.
Sounds like peacock/robo to me.

Val is hardly "reactionary." Her pressure and her defense is just guessing, so you're pretty much guessing all the time. Val's s.hp has 21 frames of startup. Sometimes I can use it to react to IAD HP, but most of the time I'm either just throwing it out or guessing you'll press a button.

Now reflectors, pbgc Dynamo, LnL armor > Dynamo.... that shit is pretty reactionary.

BUT JOSH THIS IS THE 4TH TIME IN THE LAST 2 MONTHS YOUVE CHANGED TEAMS!!!!

lol fuck off, i don't have a set team anymore

Val just feels reactionary to me. It might be the fact that she's really agile compared to Bella who feels clunky to me. I don't know how to describe it I just know this is right

But under your name it says your main team is three Bellas
Wait is that a glitch. How do I get three Fukuas?

Wait is that a glitch. How do I get three Fukuas?

oh yeah i forgot you said this
anyway
12229707.jpg

Reactions: Chuck N. Plazma
don't you
T_T
me
in that tone of voice, young man

josh you can't do that!

You'll create a TIME PARADOX

So I love val but I suck with her.... This is going to take a while to relearn her. I've noticed that I am much stronger in neutral now with her which is really surprising to me cause I used to blow at that. Now all I have to do is make a combo and find the resets/ baits for it then I should be pretty solid again.

Val is hardly "reactionary." Her pressure and her defense is just guessing, so you're pretty much guessing all the time.

?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!

Can you please learn how to use reactions with valentine so that you don't spread misinformation, thank you

Reactions: Sparties
?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!

Can you please learn how to use reactions with valentine so that you don't spread misinformation, thank you
Please relax..... I already knew she was reactionary no need to get up in arms over it my mans. I don't want this tread to become a battle ground again

Ok so after a week this is what I've been working on:
*val combos, resets, and baits (not gonna lie french twist for val is really good like REALLY GOOD)
*Fukua mixups (I think my Fukua is decent now)
*Filia tech (I really really really need to learn her neutral cause I suck unless I get in)

Reactions: Zero8teen(DG)
So after taking the time to actually learn neutral and actually play patiently I have figured out what I need to do.

I need to play better people that have low ping so I can learn habits and tendencies and get even better. I'm done trying to mess around with high ping players cause I'm not learning. If any one is north east coast hit me up.

here is a set vs Uzumakihero
I've been slowing down my pace to focus on downloading my opponent so I don't need to guess any more. Half of this set was me trying to figure out exactly what Uzumaki was doing.

This is a stupid question but how do you practice neutral? I'm confident in every other portion of my gameplay:
* my combos are optimized
* my combos have stupid amounts of resets
* I have balling colors
* I understand when to bait and when to not bait
* I understand blocking

All I lack is a strong neutral game plan any suggestions?