• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Killer Instinct - Series in General

Passed this test.jpg
Fucking. Finally.

Eyyyy, a 960! That's only ten things above mine, nice choice

For a solid $199 and $38 for the new PSU I say I did pretty well. Feels so good to be able to actually play the game now.

For a solid $199 and $38 for the new PSU I say I did pretty well. Feels so good to be able to actually play the game now.

Damn, 200 for a 960? Not bad

I fight one of Vegas's best players in grand finals of our Las Vegas KI locals.

Damn, 200 for a 960? Not bad

It was actually straight up $199 and like twelve cents or something, but yeah. Found the card I got on Newegg, but I don't have a card to order things so I went to Best Buy, price matched, and had it shipped straight to my house. Then when I found out my PSU didn't support it, found the perfect one on Best Buy's site, and they had it at mine so went back and got it. Almost too easy, really.

2016-08-11.png
Eyedol2.jpg

introducing the newest Killer Instinct character

Reactions: mayhemking
So saturday at 7pm PST we'll be having a huge Las Vegas KI tourney at Press Start Gaming. Many people from AZ and Cali will be coming.

We'll have a stream, I'll keep you guys updated

So saturday at 7pm PST we'll be having a huge Las Vegas KI tourney at Press Start Gaming. Many people from AZ and Cali will be coming.

We'll have a stream, I'll keep you guys updated

Why do I have to live in the small town areas where literally no one but me and one other guy I know of play KI? I want to go to tourneys.

shiyet.

We'll be starting real soon on twitch.tv/empr_menzo

Soon some great players will be playing.

rip KI thread, only alive when there's a new character revealed.

so i just got a new pc and one of the first things i did was download killer instinct!

if anyone is up for games i would be down to play with someone, preferably around my skill level (noob) ive played lots of other fighting games before its just the combo system and intricacies of the game i am unfamiliar with right now.

quote my message on here or add "mrfossy" on your friend list to let me know if you are interested!

so i just got a new pc and one of the first things i did was download killer instinct!

if anyone is up for games i would be down to play with someone, preferably around my skill level (noob) ive played lots of other fighting games before its just the combo system and intricacies of the game i am unfamiliar with right now.

quote my message on here or add "mrfossy" on your friend list to let me know if you are interested!

I almost always down for matches, though, I'd probably categorize as more as the Average/Above Average player. I'll shoot you an FR if you ever wanna play though. I could just use my newer characters I know crap about.

How does the combo system work in this game?
I haven't played it for myself yet but after seeing Maximilian dood play it loads of times It got me woundering:

Can you just make infinite combos?
And are 'Combo Breakers' the only way you can get out of them?

How do Lockout work and how is one type different from the other?

Can you counter only as a defense when your doing a combo or can you do that at any point?

Why does you Heath bar flash and only completely disperses after a finisher? (Why not just go down?)

And about the finishers, is there a set up for them like having full instinct or can you just do them if the opponents health is low enough?

I haven't played it for myself yet but after seeing Maximilian dood play it loads of times It got me woundering:

Can you counter only as a defense when your doing a combo or can you do that at any point?

Why does you Heath bar flash and only completely disperses after a finisher? (Why not just go down?)

And about the finishers, is there a set up for them like having full instinct or can you just do them if the opponents health is low enough?

i would recommend reading this. it tells you everything you need to know in easy to understand terms and has lots of videos and things too. Plus it was written by a friend of mine. Super helpful guide.

http://ki.infil.net/

Last edited:

Watch these:

Reactions: Notkastar
If breakers where required to get out of combos I would quit this game

i would recommend reading this. it tells you everything you need to know in easy to understand terms and has lots of videos and things too. Plus it was written by a friend of mine. Super helpful guide.

Do you mean the this thread?
(Think you forgot to put a link)

Watch these:

Thanks a tooooon for this post dude,
These videos are clearing up a lot of questions I had about how this game worked =)

If breakers where required to get out of combos I would quit this game

Haven't gotten to that part of the game yet in the videos but,
From the sounds of it you can get out of combos without the thing?

Y'know that meter that appears when Max starts a combo? If it goes over 100 without an ender the opponent blows out and the combo stops.

Y'know that meter that appears when Max starts a combo? If it goes over 100 without an ender the opponent blows out and the combo stops.
Kinda similar to an undizzy mechanic.

Bar Full = combo over

Kinda similar to an undizzy mechanic.

Bar Full = combo over

Oooh I see,
So it has the same thing SG has to prevent the game from just becoming "Who can get the first hit."
=)

While I got you awesome peeps here mind answering another question I had about the fighting?
Counters. Can you do then whenever or do you need to be doing a combo first?
And what are shadow counters?
Is it when you counter a shadow move or is it when you get out of a combo by countering with a shadow move?

Oooh I see,
So it has the same thing SG has to prevent the game from just becoming "Who can get the first hit."
=)

While I got you awesome peeps here mind answering another question I had about the fighting?
Counters. Can you do then whenever or do you need to be doing a combo first?
And what are shadow counters?
Is it when you counter a shadow move or is it when you get out of a combo by countering with a shadow move?

There are two counter-type moves in KI: Counter-Breakers and Shadow Counters. A Counter-Breaker is done while you are performing a combo; if your opponent tries to break your combo while you're Counter-Breaking, it resets the Undizzy meter and prevents your opponent from trying to break your combo for a few seconds. If you input a Counter-Breaker while your opponent isn't trying to break your combo, the combo is immediately dropped and your opponent escapes.

Shadow Counters are done while blocking and require at least one bar of super. If you're hit while performing a Shadow Counter, and are not hit immediately after (I.E. from a multi-hit move), your character will automatically perform a super, which acts as an opener and allows you to transition directly into a combo.

There are two counter-type moves in KI: Counter-Breakers and Shadow Counters. A Counter-Breaker is done while you are performing a combo; if your opponent tries to break your combo while you're Counter-Breaking, it resets the Undizzy meter and prevents your opponent from trying to break your combo for a few seconds. If you input a Counter-Breaker while your opponent isn't trying to break your combo, the combo is immediately dropped and your opponent escapes.

Shadow Counters are done while blocking and require at least one bar of super. If you're hit while performing a Shadow Counter, and are not hit immediately after (I.E. from a multi-hit move), your character will automatically perform a super, which acts as an opener and allows you to transition directly into a combo.

Oooh so that's why I see ether Max or the other guy go for counter-breakers so much even though they had a pretty decent combo going. It's the KI equivalent of going for a reset; If the other guy falls for it then you get to reset the scale/combo =)

The shadow counter sounds pretty darn risky from the sounds of it =T
If you miss time or miss read a move you thought only hit once when it hits say 3 times, Then you wasted a bar trying to reverse something on top of getting punished for trying to counter in the first place. (Or you might just get locked out, which is pretty darn bad in it's self since you'll be a sitting duck but, idk if you still loose a bar for that)

I can't thank you all enough for all the info you've been giving me about the game.
(I actually know what's going on in battles now ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ)

This might be the last question I have for this game:
What exactly are shadow moves?
I know they cost meter to do and all but, What are there purpose?
From what I learn thus far they just look like more flashy versions of heavy attacks
And in some cases I've even herd the announcer count out the hits "1! 2! 3!!!"
Making them easier for the other guy to break so why use them in the first place?

Shadow moves = ex moves. All of them have 5 hits and extra properties. If you press the combo breaker buttons 3 times with the right time, you break the shadow move. You don't need to counter 3 hits in a row (you could counter the second, third and fifth hits, for example), and that's why you hear the "1, 2, 3". The 3 is the combo breaker. Be careful, though. since each move has a different timing, you can't mash or you'll be locked out. For example: if you break the 1st and 3rd hit right (this gives 2 "breaks", needing only one more to break the move), but misses the timing on the 4th or 5th, you'll be locked out).

In the end, it's like a colossal game of rock, paper scissors, but with combos, breakers and counters instead

Shadow moves = ex moves. All of them have 5 hits and extra properties. If you press the combo breaker buttons 3 times with the right time, you break the shadow move. You don't need to counter 3 hits in a row (you could counter the second, third and fifth hits, for example), and that's why you hear the "1, 2, 3". The 3 is the combo breaker. Be careful, though. since each move has a different timing, you can't mash or you'll be locked out. For example: if you break the 1st and 3rd hit right (this gives 2 "breaks", needing only one more to break the move), but misses the timing on the 4th or 5th, you'll be locked out).

In the end, it's like a colossal game of rock, paper scissors, but with combos, breakers and counters instead

I'd say:
If you Win: Things massive turn in your favor!
If you Lose: It's gonna take a bit more then time to get your momentum back
And if it's a Draw: It's back to playing footsies till there's another opening

So the "1! 2! 3!!!" is actually the sound it makes when your breaking the attack in real time?
(That's actually pretty darn cool =)
Plus if there really like ex moves then that explains why people would unload them on lock down.

Thanks soooo much you guys for telling me how this game works! =)
At first it looked like:
You could do infinite combos on a dime with the only way of getting out of them being a combo breaker.
Shadow moves where point less,
You could combos completely made up of specials
And that heath would sometimes go away but sometimes stay for 'reasons.'

(I was really off base n_n;)
Glad to finally know the game's a lot more far then it looks =)

Do you mean the this thread?
(Think you forgot to put a link)

oh man sorry you are totally right! i knew i copied it but just forgot to paste lol.

here it is again and i also updated my original post.

http://ki.infil.net/

>Go back to the first page
>"Battletoads? We wish"

hehehehehehehhehehhahHHAHAHAHAHA unload the toad

So we're getting new characters. One of which is this thing

19_kilgore04.jpg

So are we looking at a Kombat Pack 1/2 kinda deal where it's still Season 3 but we still get some more chars beyond that?
Or a Injustice thing where we get 1/2 characters outside of the Season?

I dunno. But either way this new bot is supposed to be the Ken to Fulgore's Ryu. Or the Robo Fortune of the game.

So there's a possibility these new characters might follow that trend.

I dunno. But either way this new bot is supposed to be the Ken to Fulgore's Ryu. Or the Robo Fortune of the game.

So there's a possibility these new characters might follow that trend.

I'm glad we are getting some new content to the game. Can't wait to see who the other two characters are.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna be loving the new Potential Damage changes as hisako.

Edit: Killgore matches were uploaded

Last edited:
okay so... from i can see from the footage

KillGore has two mechanics that are special.

1. he has a dodge

2. his miniguns have a heat function.

doing moves that revs up his mini gun powers them up. His dash Guns do more hits and at max flame it does white health on block. His Grab and Uppercut also get to do follow ups at half heat to full. At full heat jump Guns become two powerful slug shots.

and at max heat KillGore's Dodge Port has him exploding and blowing back him and the opponent. at the cost of heat.

instinct is max heat all the time just like Cinder's.

His Rocket Kick at max heat also gets an extra hit making it slightly more safe on block.

over all KillGore is a slow start up character just like Fulgor, however Killgore seems to have a tougher time to build up that heat...

wow i can't believe they added Bastion into KI what a bold move
I don't see a bird though.

Kilgore needs an animal friend.

Maybe an eagle.

So you can face Kilgore in Player vs CPU, you can watch him in CPU vs CPu and you can train against him in Training (but you cannot set a player to play as the dummy).

He's cool. and his theme is rad.

Also something if you complete his quest in SL