• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA [May 27-29] Combo Breaker 2016 (Chicago, IL)

what do you guys plan to do tonight
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Get a good night's sleep.

I don't want to see anyone dozing off during the first day.

Alright, we found it, got everything worked out! I
Glad to hear it!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

So my flight is at 7:36am Friday morning, which basically means I have to wake up at about 4:30 in the morning. Should land by 9:10am chi town time. Grab the shuttle and hopefully I'll be there by 11. Get hype!!!

Reactions: PME and dekillsage
Finally at the hotel. I even met two lab zero staff on the bus! (Hi Renders)Just taking it easy tonight but if there is casuals going somewhere on I may drop by.

You didn't make this invite link permanent; it's already expired.
Yeah, I didn't generate that, it was asked to be posted, so I did. I legit never use discord.

I know it implied that all SG scene gonna watch the streams but would be useful someone make a Spotlight new on front page talking about streams links and channels and hours etc.

So all the people who can´t attend can enjoy the biggest SG tournament of the year!

Finally reached the hotel just now...
:D lets play!
Room 413 in the "Tower" part of Pheasant Run my dude

Here we goooooooooooo

Edit: Quick Question, since legacy controllers aren't allowed for SFV, and all I have besides legacy is the standard PS4 controller with a USB cord am I boned or what

Edit Encore: Oh got that answered I'm all good!

Last edited:
Played a few games with people outside Registration...fun times! So. It begins.

Good luck to everyone who's got pools today! I'll be here, cheering from the sidelines this year.

And to anyone who goes 0-2, don't let it drag you down! You may not have won, but you still helped contribute to the continued growing success of this awesome game just by showing up! You also now have the rest of the weekend to do whatever you want, so have fun!

Reactions: PME and Nine
I will be introducing Skullgirls to a few friends through watching this tournament!

Good luck to all of the Combo Breaker 2016 entrants! To the newer players like myself, just remember it is all a learning process. You are going to go 0-2 against some of the best players in the world, so don't let it drag you down. Put a smile on, laugh at yourself getting bodied, and ask some good questions. You'll learn A LOT.

Just got done watching EC vs. The World. Good shit on both sides. May I ask why you guys do 2/3 matches though? In this format, taking a match off of the best players doesn't mean anything if you can't finish the set out. As someone who watches a ton of smash, I think something similar to the crew battles in that would be a lot more fair to both sides. Maybe give each player 3 matches to lose before they're eliminated? This keeps a really good player from completely dominating, and rewards players for not losing any matches at all. Maybe I'm too biased towards Smash's crew battle format, but every time a player took a match and then lost against either SonicFox or Fuzzy Snugs, I felt a little cheated :P

Either way, great matches all. It was a ton of fun to watch. Can't wait to watch bracket tomorrow.

Just got done watching EC vs. The World. Good shit on both sides. May I ask why you guys do 2/3 matches though? In this format, taking a match off of the best players doesn't mean anything if you can't finish the set out. As someone who watches a ton of smash, I think something similar to the crew battles in that would be a lot more fair to both sides. Maybe give each player 3 matches to lose before they're eliminated? This keeps a really good player from completely dominating, and rewards players for not losing any matches at all. Maybe I'm too biased towards Smash's crew battle format, but every time a player took a match and then lost against either SonicFox or Fuzzy Snugs, I felt a little cheated :P

Either way, great matches all. It was a ton of fun to watch. Can't wait to watch bracket tomorrow.
Best of 3 is more or less the Standard for a lot of 2d fighters, with finals being best of 5. I think this is mostly done for time reasons, as there's a lot of wasted timein-between matches with other fighting games so the 2/3 helps keep things moving. That said, Skullgirls runs pretty fast and, as a result, has actually moved to a best 3/5 format for all matches just this year (all the pools were best of 5s). EC vs. The World was more of a for-fun thing that had nothing to do with the tournament proper (heck, not even everyone was there for it, like Dekillsage). It was also 10 vs 10 and if they'd done 3/5 for all of the matches, it likely would've taken much longer than the roughly 2.5 hours it took to do, which would've gotten a bit exhausting for everyone involved, I think. Especially after just getting through 4 hours of (pretty grueling) pools and having another 6+ hours tomorrow/today.

TL;DR: Skullgirls normally does best 3/5 now, but this was best 2/3 likely for time/energy reasons.

Played a few casuals but mostly just watched friends play matches yesterday. Still fun. By the way shout out to Kitty Doll With Glasses (if you're here) for the matches.

Shoutouts to Lethalmind playing while wearing my shirt... T_T Day 1 was SO FUCKIN' HYPE! Come on humanity, invent teleportation already! O_O

Best of 3 is more or less the Standard for a lot of 2d fighters, with finals being best of 5. I think this is mostly done for time reasons, as there's a lot of wasted timein-between matches with other fighting games so the 2/3 helps keep things moving. That said, Skullgirls runs pretty fast and, as a result, has actually moved to a best 3/5 format for all matches just this year (all the pools were best of 5s). EC vs. The World was more of a for-fun thing that had nothing to do with the tournament proper (heck, not even everyone was there for it, like Dekillsage). It was also 10 vs 10 and if they'd done 3/5 for all of the matches, it likely would've taken much longer than the roughly 2.5 hours it took to do, which would've gotten a bit exhausting for everyone involved, I think. Especially after just getting through 4 hours of (pretty grueling) pools and having another 6+ hours tomorrow/today.

TL;DR: Skullgirls normally does best 3/5 now, but this was best 2/3 likely for time/energy reasons.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood :P In smash crew battles, each player is given their 4 stocks, and that's it. When a player loses a stock, it's gone. So say EC Player 1 (EC P1) faces The World Player 1 (TW P1). In the match, EC P1 beats TW P1 with 2 stocks remaining. So now going into the next match, EC P1 only has 2 stocks vs TW P2. So they face off, and TW P2 beats EC P1, but loses 3 of his stocks in the process. TW P2 now only has 1 stock going into the next match. This continues until the stocks of every player on a team is eliminated. Here's a link the wiki page on it, and here's a link to a smash crew battle to see it in action.

The thing I really like about the stock method is that you don't have to beat the player in a set in order to knock them out. This allows players of lower levels to knock out top end players like Sonic Fox or Dekillsage by chipping stocks off of them.

Now I understand there aren't stocks in Skullgirls, but that's why I was saying you could do a 3 match elimination(or "stock") method. For example, Fuzzy Snugs didn't lose a single match until Lazy Diablos took one. With a 3 stock method, Fuzzy Snugs would now be down a match after losing once to lazy Diablos, and would face his next opponent with only 2 matches.

I probably didn't explain this too well, but I don't have time atm to go further in depth. I'll check back later after work tonight.

Reactions: IsaVulpes
smash crew battles

I can't speak for anyone else but I also misunderstood your earlier post so thank you for clearing this up.

The issue I think in this PARTICULAR case would be, again, time constraints. 2 "stocks" would be far too few for a single player to have (IMO), and any more would extend the length of the exhibition. Given the circumstances I think the way the exhibition was run was the best way but in the future it would be interesting to see a (perhaps smaller) skullgirls exhibition run in that format.

Is anyone leaving today, right after finals?